[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You ever think how the music industry would look like today if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1 51cdA6oD9Helkwv-zP1lwQ.gif (29KB, 420x277px) Image search: [Google]
1 51cdA6oD9Helkwv-zP1lwQ.gif
29KB, 420x277px
You ever think how the music industry would look like today if musicpiracy didnt become so widespread and commonplace?
>>
streaming has had a more negative effect than piracy ever did

with piracy, music sold less but there was still good music
but with streaming, there's now a pressure on labels to release non-challenging music (what would have been considered 'radio-friendly' 10 years ago)

all the major labels and now even the big indie labels have caught onto this and are already trying to steer their artists towards easy-listening music to take advantage of this 'exciting new marketplace'

it's actually terrifying
>>
>>71914501
Lol what? Before people were trying to make easy music for streaming, they were trying to make easy music for Radio and Top 40.

If anything, there should have been as spike in quality in the last decade when radio was dying but streaming wasn't quite as popular. But there wasn't, because people from every era try to make non-challenging music and it has nothing to do with the platforms they put it out on
>>
>>71914602
wait and see what happens over the next few years

you would think (as i did) that giving people more choice would result in greater variation
it didn't - the opposite happened
the numbers for anything easy have shot up and the numbers for anything weird have shot down (purely talking about streaming numbers here, sales have gone the opposite way but sales are way down in general and labels are looking to cash in on streaming directly now rather than using it as a promo tool for sales
>>
>>71914635
When has anything weird had better numbers than easier albums?
>>
>>71914670
yeah i understand your point, that mainstream has always been easy, but it's getting worse because the other revenue streams are drying up
>>
>>71914706
I guess. It's gonna take at leat another decade to truly see what streaming does to music.

IMO the Top 40 is no worse than it was at any point in time, especially when compared to the 2000s
>>
>>71914733
well top 40 will always be terrible but it's more about everyone else, indie acts etc
>>
>>71914706
vinyl and cassettes are starting to sell again. There's always ways to make money if you're clever enough. Just because they haven't been thpught of yet doesn't that can't be thought up tomorrow
>>
>>71914761
All I see are shitty bands making shitty music, and good bands making better music
>>
>>71914765
yeah i agree desu but i heard a few reports already of labels giving advice to artists about this
>>
>>71914885
what kind of advice?
>>
>>71914915
about streaming figures and what kind of tracks are getting streamed and why
none of this is special secret info but as far as i know only the bigger labels are doing analytics like that right now but idk maybe not i guess it's fairly easy to do because spotify generates a ton of data for rights holders
>>
>>71914501
I completely agree with your posts and I've been seeing the same things. Especially,
>even the big indie labels have caught onto this and are already trying to steer their artists towards easy-listening music to take advantage of this 'exciting new marketplace
And that shit is what's terrifying.
>>
>>71915046
yeah it's fucked, i get the feeling in a few years anything not daytime radio-friendly will be on bandcamp or similar/better
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.