[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any college musician here can explain me something. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1489941046105.jpg (181KB, 634x635px) Image search: [Google]
1489941046105.jpg
181KB, 634x635px
Any college musician here can explain me something.

I've tried to learn music theory, but most courses I see online seems to cover only the basics.

by basics I mean:
>Notes, scales, intervals
>chords, chord progressions
>basic four voice harmony
>circle of fifths
>tonality (what feeling each scale represents)
>Ancient 5 notes modes
>basic popular music structure (chorus, verse, bridge, etc).
>basic classical forms (ABAB, ABC, structures)

So far, I understood all that in some basic sense.
But I am unable to compose anything.

Am I missing something?

I ask because whenever I read some music theory course is the same shit I just told you I know.

Is composing music the same as writing?
In the sense that after you learn the grammar, and how to write, there's not much you can learn beyond practice?
>>
Literally just try to compose something small. You'll feel like you have no idea what you're doing and it'll be terrible. But yes it's like writing in the sense that your 4th grade essays are dogshit and you have to work your way up to your senior thesis.
>>
>>71902524
Not a college musician, just a music producer who's been doing this for 3 months who had the same problem.
Start recreating music, you'll start understanding how to develop ideas as basic as a 4 second melody
>>
File: snoopmockfront.jpg (51KB, 505x500px) Image search: [Google]
snoopmockfront.jpg
51KB, 505x500px
Yeah, it's like mathematics...or any other field. You can read all the theorems and proofs you want, but if you never do any practice or independent work you won't gain a true grasp on the subject (unless you're some kind of savant, which I'm definitely not when it comes to both music theory and math).

If you're writing and getting bored maybe read up about some extended techniques, or at least early 20th century serialism, or its dual, aleatory/stochasticism, if you find regular musical forms boring. Or maybe look into music theories from non-western areas, like sub-Saharan African harmonic systems or classical Hindustani theory.

It's sort of like writing, yeah, but you need to "practice" in the same way that a writer develops their own distinct vocabulary and narrative tone. It's also nice to have someone to give you feedback whether that be your friends, or an advisor/prof if you're still in school.
>>
>>71902734
yeah, but my point is that I used to think music theory was this really complex topic you need years to develop, when in fact music theory is basically as easy to grasp as let's say english grammar.

this doesn't however that knowing music theory will make you a good musician, just like learning to write wont make you a good novelist.
>>
>>71902789
Music theory beyond the basic stuff greentexted in the OP is used more for analyzing music rather than composing.
>>
>>71902885
yeah that seems to be the case.

I was always afraid of approaching music because I though music theory was gonna be all this complex shit you study in college, while the more I read, the more the websites and wikis keep repeating the same basic shit.

I always shouted give me something new, for god sakes, I already know this shit.
>>
>>71902953
You need to look into secondary dominants for starters.

Also how can you claim theory is too simple when you cant even write by your own admission? Just because you know that G is the dominant of the key of C doesnt mean you know how to make use of that fact.
>>
>>71903021
like I said, learning how english is written won't make me a noble prize winner.
>>
>>71903081
Yea the truth is that even someone who knows all the theory in the world is gonna write their melodies by ear for the most part. If youre not hearing sounds in your head that you desire to get out into the world then im not sure composing is for you :(
>>
why doesn't /mu/ have a music learning general? /a/ and now /int/ has DJT, /v/ and /vg/ AGDG, etc.
>>
>>71902524
>But I am unable to compose anything.

No shit, you've learned theory but you haven't learned composition.

Just grab whatever instrument you have and start writing, it comes with practice.
>>
>>71903120
sure, made one.

>>71903137
yeah, I need a music instrument.

I still can hum, I guess.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.