[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

there are three stages of thinking when it comes to music:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 31ESVCFE0SL.jpg (12KB, 295x300px) Image search: [Google]
31ESVCFE0SL.jpg
12KB, 295x300px
there are three stages of thinking when it comes to music:

1) this is the greatest album of all time (pleb)

2) wow, everyone thinks that. this album must be overrated garbage, Syd Barrett was a genius and I only like Pipers at the Gate of Dawn (contrarian)

3) this album is incredibly well made and there is no significant reason to hate it at all. one of Floyd's best and one of the better albums of the 1970s (patrician)

Where are you currently stuck? Still mad at popular things because you're such a unique visionary? Have you seen the light?
>>
I'm at the "it's a good album but not quite as good as everyone says" phase

The Wall is better btw
>>
>>71898615
Sort of stage 3 but I still prefer Barrett Floyd
>>
>>71898615
Great album but Animals is better
>>
>>71898703
> The Wall is better btw

I wish I could see the light about The Wall but it is so annoying to me
>>
>>71898703
>>71899013
The Wall left much bigger impact upon me, it is much more intense. The concept just fucking sells it, every time that "The Wall" motiff starts I get excited, especially in The Trial it's very effective.
>>
i agree except its not one of the better albums of the 70s
>>
its good but wywh, animals, meddle and arguably their first two were better and lots of better stuff was made in the 70's, larks tongue and houses of the holy were made in the same year
>>
>>71898703
>>71899045
i think the wall is equally good, but i do definitely think it's more impactful
>>
>>71899167
> WWYH
> Meddle
no but still good
> Animals
sure
> first two
definitely not in my opinion but I'm also not impressed at all with some of the first wave psych bands and their annoying lunacy

t. someone who just listened to all of these albums yesterday
>>
to be honest i think dsotm hasn't aged nearly as well as piper and saucer. there's something infinitely more interesting about them, like more musical and just noise depth
>>
>>71898703
The Wall just seems a bit too pretentious of me and is marred by the same kind of self-righteous meandering that stains all of Waters' subsequent work.

It has moments certainly but mostly, for me, they come from touches of Gilmour and not Waters' lyrical wankfest.
>>
>>71899251
> making pretty, atmospheric ballads has aged worse than ooky kooky psych carnival jams with the occasional fruitless improvisation
Saucer is fine but Pipers has aged like milk
>>
>>71899258
>The Wall just seems a bit too pretentious of me

The word pretentious is a word plebs use to find an excuse when they didn't understand piece of work and refuse to research it in any capacity.

There is nothing pretentious about The Wall, what it sets out to do and wants to do it does it well, the word has lost all of its meaning, as it can be applied to anything that wants to have a deeper meaning, which The Wall does have.
>>
>>71899258
i can certainly understand why someone would be turned off by that, but for me that record seems so raw and emotional, and it shows off his songwriting skills better than ever before

to each his own i guess
>>
File: 1487018933872.jpg (20KB, 210x180px) Image search: [Google]
1487018933872.jpg
20KB, 210x180px
Patrician: DSOTM is an excellent album and deserving of high praise, regardless of whether it really is the "greatest album of all time"
>>
>>71899352
see 3) because that's literally what I said
>>
>>71899314
okay when you put it like that i realize it's not something i can put on first thing in the morning but it's more enjoyable for me when i'm in the mood for some pink floyd.

also can someone explain animals to me? i liked it the first listen and over time it just feels like the most calculated bland album by them
>>
>>71899367
but its not one of the best album of the 70s and its not even their best album
>>
>>71899450
I said one of the better albums of the 70s, because it is. It's like in the top 30-50

I also didn't say it was their best album. Just that it was one of them. You really cannot read for shit my guy
>>
File: 133336-a.jpg (301KB, 1000x995px) Image search: [Google]
133336-a.jpg
301KB, 1000x995px
Best. After that they went too commercial.
>>
>>71899319
>The word pretentious is a word plebs use to find an excuse when they didn't understand piece of work and refuse to research it in any capacity.
I welcome you to attempt to listen to Father John Misty's latest record without the word 'pretentious' coming to mind to describe it.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.