[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will Kurt Cobain be the last musician that the media will label

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: Kurt Cobain face.jpg (35KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt Cobain face.jpg
35KB, 500x371px
Will Kurt Cobain be the last musician that the media will label as the "voice of a generation"?

I've noticed that the media doesn't seem to give a shit anymore about the "voice of a generation" label that people like Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain have been given.
>>
>>71897646
feminist have beyonce
males have ed sheeran, drake n kendrick
>>
>>71897662
all shit, damn
>>
shitty music and even shittier nonsensical trash lyrics. his generation couldn't have asked for a better representative.
>>
Music stopped being the "voice" when the internet happened
Whether we like it or not old /b/ is the "voice" of the 2000s and /v/ and /pol/ are the "voices" of the 2010s
>>
Rock is dead. The Jew and his negro lackey have destroyed western music.
>>
>>71897825
>implying rock would exist without the jew and negro lackey
>>
Do you think the artist refusing to take on that title has an effect as well? Both Dylan and Cobain disagreed with being called the 'voice of a generation.'
>>
>>71897662
You meant to say numales
>>
>>71897646
>I've noticed that the media doesn't seem to give a shit anymore about the "voice of a generation" label
this generation does have a voice it's just that nobody gives a shit what this generation has to say about anything. pic related
>>
>>71897646
It was easier to throw around a label like that back then. Now with the media being so focused on political correctness they know they can't find one voice to speak for all races and both sexes so they don't try.

Neither Dylan nor Cobain were the voices of their generation. They were the voice for middle-class white boys and college students.
>>
>>71898063
>nobody gives a shit what this generation has to say about anything
as it should be
>>
>>71898048
numales run society
>>
>>71897977
I don't really think so. The media will label anyone anything whether they like it or not.
>>
>>71897646
That's not lil pump
>>
File: 1234567890.jpg (32KB, 470x312px) Image search: [Google]
1234567890.jpg
32KB, 470x312px
>>71897974
This
>>
>>71897662
Guys don't like Ed Sheeran though.
>>
>>71897646
media isn't force-fed how it used to be.
>>
thom yorke, actually
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (207KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
207KB, 1500x1000px
voice of a generation
>>
>>71899360
>phony affected 'laid-back' manner
>rampant fetishization of objects and aesthetics past, creatively in complete stasis
>just wants things to be 'chill'

chex out
>>
>ctrl+f '0 results'
>>
>>71898658
True.
>>
File: 1487010639029.jpg (15KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1487010639029.jpg
15KB, 240x320px
Unironically the voice of this generation
>>
>>71899628
exactly. You say "phony" and you aren't wrong, but the topic is "voice of a generation"
>>
>>71899647
seconding this

Ye has transcended meme status on this board. Doesn't deserve any of the hate he gets desu. Criticism, sure, but blind hate and "ooga booga nigger music" type comments are just silly
>>
>>71901185
I dont get how he could be the voice of this generation tho. He has no clear message or stance on anything
>>
Voice of a Generation has become a meme in of itself

Nirvana blew up and the industry latched on and threw the label onto them. You don't see many successes like that these days that doesn't seem very very manufactured: Panda/Designer is an example and microcosm of super phony baloney "youth culture" where a young artist drops a billboard hit out of nowhere

the problem is that the industry tries to replicate past success in an artificial way. Nirvana blowing up from garage band to billboard success with Teen Spirit just wasn't a thing, and now that it is, the industry will try to keep simulating it in the youth culture to shove their industry plants down our throats.

The real litmus test for Voice of a Generation would be an artist who isn't conforming with that type of success, and isn't trying to get on billboard overnight, or get signed to a record label. Someone who is probably putting music out for free on the internet and not overly concerned with "blowing up" but is still blowing up w/o the industry's help. A real counter-culture artist

dunno who that person could be tho. every seems like an industry plant nowadays
>>
>>71901205
What generation are you talking about? And if you don't think Ye of all artist have a message or a stance, you are probably baiting
>>
>>71901317
His only consistent message is self stroking egotistical bs. Which makes sense for the selfie generation so maybe youre right
>>
>>71898635
have you ever actually spoken to a real human being in your life anon
>>
>>71897662
>males have ed sheeran
Even Beyonce is more masculine than him
>>
>>71901282
>Nirvana blowing up from garage band to billboard success with Teen Spirit
bit of an oversimplification there, nirvana did world tours and supported semi-big names before nevermind, and bleach was a fairly popular indie release (esp in europe). and apart from signing to geffen there's the switch in management and all that stuff as well

much of the groundwork on How to Launch a Hip New Band to the Kids had—to various degrees of success—been laid out by other major label signees (like r.e.m.), and enough roadside casualties (replacements, husker du) had by that point accumulated to give the majors at least hunch about What Not to Do

i don't think anyone quite expected nirvana to break through like they did though. it's a singular achievement, and i guess we'll never know how much was callous industry blitz and how much was right place/right time youthquake factor
>>
>>71901349
Not him but, have you? The only people in my vicinity who don't despise him are female. Anectdotal evidence and whatnot I know, but I've never heard a man talk about Ed in a positive light.
>>
>>71901349
Have you ed Sheeram is a faggot
>>
>>71898214
I can understand that.
>>
The music industry is no longer the thriving business it once was. We don't have millionaires from sales hardly ever, and when we do, these people are massive celebrities and very safe and radio friendly, or have accumulated a fanbase over the years enough to sell at such a rate.

The "voice of a generation" surely requires popularity, but having a voice that is in stark contrast to the hedonistic jubilation of the rest of the popular ones. Someone who says something "real", they're "down-to-earth", and voice the struggles of the people.

The music industry, at this point, simply isn't going to fund such a character because it is too risky. If they're not going to sell like Drake or Beyonce, what's the point? Send them on their happy way to tour globally for years and hopefully you can get back your investment, without any extra money needed to give them that pop platform.

And that brings you to the next issue; music as a whole has become so splintered, so niche, that most acts only have their niche audience, and can't cross over. The rockists have their butt rock acts that make pop music with guitars, the indie rockers have a bevy of bands to look into, all of which lack the ability to appeal to mass markets (besides a very select chosen few), even rappers are mostly niche, aside from the certified stars such as Kanye and Drake, who have crossover pop appeal. Cole, one of the most middle-of-the-road, "safe" rappers to come in years has a massive fanbase, and he can go plat easily. Tyler the creator, however, struggles to break 100,000. Most internet rappers sell terribly, young thug being a good example. Even the critical darling Kendrick can't outsell Cole, and is really not as impactful as his marketing is portraying him as. Back in the day, nearly all of these artists would have went platinum easily, which I think makes it easier to quantify them as a "voice" of the generation.
>>
>>71903246
Continuing on that niche thought, media as a whole has become like this. Long gone are the icons of that old era. The Beatles had the help of being on tv when there were only like 2 channels to watch, and there was 50+ million viewers. Now, we have 1000 channels. TV ratings are down. There's netflix, which gives you innumerable amounts of content available to stream instantly. Youtube, which offers even more content, user-generated. Music is in much the same boat. Back in Bob Dylan's day. It was like Folk music, this new "rock and roll", and rnb and blues if you listened to the black stations, and jazz. To get where they got you had to be pretty damn talented and put a lot of work in. Contrast that with today. The genre that was once "rockandroll" now has 100s of subgenres, with 1000s of bands, and from rock came metal, and that in turn has plenty of subgenres, with 1000s of bands. We live in an era where there are MILLIONS of kids uploading musical content, harsh noise, djent metal, trap rap or edm trap, deep house, progressive house, math rock, indie rock, lo fi hip hop, jazz rap, jazz, plunderphonics, vaporwave, etc etc etc

There is SO much content to sift through, so much music being made, and the majority of it is awful, because it's a bunch of kids who don't know what the fuck they're doing, they just want to be making music. More power to them, but that is not beneficial to most consumers. Most consumers don't want to sift through all that stuff. I know I don't. It is beneficial, however, to the niche consumer. Now the vaporwave fan has 100s of albums to browse by various artists and he can enjoy it. But that voice of a generation, wherever he may be, faces the impossible task of both breaking through all that white noise, and challenging the pantheon of pop stars. He has to be both accessible, original, cutting edge, innovative, and packaged in a "cool" image. It's simply not going to happen, and if it does, I'd wager it was an industry creation.
>>
>>71897646
mc ride desu
>>
>>71903406

Also considering that when people sign to record labels they never look for a really really good manager that will reassure them success

Kurt Cobain was one of a kind, but after that generation they've taught people to be 100 percent themselves and always go by what they say. And I think the secret to succeeding in the land of music is to find someone who has been in it for years and knows how things work in the new age and old age
>>
Also, ever notice many rock acts don't even have a style anymore?

Look at biffy clyro, they changed from an eh kinda different style to hipster dogshit, If anything, hipsters have kinda ruin the music industry in general
>>
>>71897646
Yes, because the music media doesn't have the power to shape that kind of agenda anymore.
>>
File: 89787.jpg (33KB, 480x331px) Image search: [Google]
89787.jpg
33KB, 480x331px
>>71901369
beyonce is very masculine
>>
>>71899647
how can a guy who literally calls himself a god be the voice of a generation

he's not relatable enough
>>
File: 1471115597219.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471115597219.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
>>71903246
>>71903406
very interesting read! i wish /mu/ was more like this and less... /mu/-ish

the bit about risk is interesting. one could argue that indie labels, when they first popped up—and later the
internet—"took over" niche/offbeat music and gave it a home. previously, if they were to come out at all, studio recordings without mass appeal had to be bankrolled and released by a proper label, and the most amazing thing is that they were!

imagine frank zappa being signed to today's universal imprint and given carte blanche to make weird orchestral records. hell, fifty years ago the biggest band in the world got to put out a double LP with an eight-minute sound collage at the end! no doubt that a cushion of musical soundtracks and lounge compilations broke the fall of every failed velvet underground album, but i get the feeling that back then the industry thought that the public were genuinely interested in a bit of adventurousness and pioneering. somewhere along the line that particular factor seems to have lost its allure

to take an example from an industry in even worse state, just look at a recurring tagline of old-time movie posters: "the most amazing motion picture ever made!"—usually lies, of course, but a way of promotion that i'd say has shifted 100% over to technology now. do 'the masses' crave any innovation in art and culture? did they ever?
>>
File: 1484756169606.jpg (33KB, 311x309px) Image search: [Google]
1484756169606.jpg
33KB, 311x309px
>>71904206
>hipster dogshit
>implying biffy clyro aren't the most normie rock band in Britain right now

Also, the first three Biffy Clyro albums are great and should be /mu/core, just saying.
>>
>>71904463

Ever noticed how a stereotypical hipster looks like? They legitimately fit that look now.

So many "INDIE" bands that are super super bland get millions of hits and views on youtube.
>>
>>71904396
Thanks friend, and you add some good points yourself.

I know from a personal standpoint, I crave innovation in art and culture, and it pains me to see such boring acts propped up. There is surely some people out there with Frank's level of creativity, but the money is simply not behind them.

And then we get into that issue of whether or not the masses want innovation

I think the masses want what they are sold to want, meaning, they'll take what we give them.

It's like fast food. Though fast food is going through a bit of a downturn right now (at least McDonald's), their food quality has been going down steadily for a long time now, but the masses accepted it, simply because that was what they gave them.

It's the same thing with music. Whatever works, works. If the kids want trash, give them trash. Why put money into talent and originality when trite works just as well and sells even more.

I know this sounds "edgy", but I think /mu/ as a whole struggles to realize the business aspect of music. It's not sacred art, it's money first, art later.
>>
>>71904396
>>71905547
Funny, I was actually watching a video of Frank Zappa explaining what happened to the music industry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4wsURn3rw
>>
>>71901349
Ok Ed
>>
>>71897646
>I've noticed that the media doesn't seem to give a shit anymore about the "voice of a generation" label
Good. It's a retarded label.
>>
>>71897662
I agree with everything but Ed Sheeran. Do guys actually look up to him? Thought he was all for the ladies to listen to.
>>
>>71898635
>50 mil listeners on spotify
>not one male

Okay anon
>>
>>71898214
your a dorable
>>
>>71897779
>/v/
Well you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>71905956
Faggots don't count
>>
>>71899360
This desu. I'll take him over Dylan or Cobain any day.
>>
>>71897779
conservatism is the new punk rock
>>
>>71906862
waiting for Johnny Rotten to show up and say this at the Republican National Convention in 2020
>>
>>71901101
tfw the universe contains more stars than atoms
>>
>>71901349
No male has ever admitted to or said he liked Ed Sheeran. I've never ever heard it.

Women though? Alot.

>>71898063
This. Who gives a shit, we have nothing to say anymore.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.