[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I connect my guitar to my computers using only a stereo plug

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170331-144616~2.jpg (61KB, 1080x924px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170331-144616~2.jpg
61KB, 1080x924px
Can I connect my guitar to my computers using only a stereo plug adapter? Or am I being stupid
>Pic related, 3,5mm jack and 6,35mm stereo plug
>>
File: A7319_1.jpg (154KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
A7319_1.jpg
154KB, 1000x1000px
You need the opposite
>>
>>71894916
Okay, but so it would work with that one? Because when I asked someone, they said I would need a soundcard or it wouldn't work
>>
>>71894938
https://youtu.be/KwjC5Xjb5Go
>>
>>71894938
you need a preamp nigga
would theorethically work without one but would be very quiet and noisy
>>
>>71894949
I don't wanna record, I just want something that makes my computer pick up what I play for practice purposes. >>71894955
Would only a soundcard not work?
>im a noob, apologies for stupid questions
>>
>>71894991
if you just want to practice
>>71894916
is fine
>>
>>71895042
Okay, thanks
>>
File: cover.jpg (1MB, 1458x1459px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1MB, 1458x1459px
that's dumb just get a 100 dollar audio interface.

gonna practice getting the shittiest tone possible? better off pluggin into nothing
>>
>>71894891
I tried that, worked terribly. Just buy used interface with ASIO support, if you don't have much money, use some DAW like Reaper, and torrent some plugins
>>
>>71895240
>>71895316
Fair enough, I guess I might have to buy something then.
>>
Your computer's audio interface operates on a different voltage level, expecting much higher amplitudes than your pickups can produce. You need a (pre)amplifier.
>>
>>71894916
I use this to just plug into my computer all the time
>>
>>71895524
Oh I mean I run it from my amp into my computer to record using that little adapter. Is that bad?
>>
>>71895545
Not really. You're basically using your amp as a preamplifier in that situation anyway. Couldn't speak for the quality though.
>>
you could possibly blow your sound card doing this method
>>
>>71895545
It's not bad. The input impedance of your sound card is likely very high (a couple kOhms) compared to the output impedance of your amplifier (typically a few ohms). This means that less power is drawn from the amplifier (to achieve the same voltage amplitude, a lower current is necessary) which results in less stress for the amp. Due to the nature of the load (predominantly capacitive load instead of inductive like speakers) and the fact that you're mismatching the impedances, the frequency response of the entire system will be different, i.e. the amp will sound different plugged into the PC vs into a speaker. That's usually not an issue, it's what EQs are for.

TL;DR
You're missing out on some volume (which is unnecessary in this case), you change the sound of the output (not a problem thanks to EQ) and you're taxing the amp less. As long as you don't crank your amp up so far that you burn out your sound card, everything is fine.
>>
>>71895545
get an interface like the scarlett solo
>>
>>71894916
>>71894891

Both would work, but results may vary.

Either:
guitar > jack 2 minijack adapter > minijack cable> pc recording input
or:
guitar > jack cable > jack 2 minijack adapter > pc recording input

If you get any input in a range that's usable is really a gamble, worst case you might break your recording input.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.