[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to not let other people's opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1470659363042.jpg (149KB, 500x538px) Image search: [Google]
1470659363042.jpg
149KB, 500x538px
What is the best way to not let other people's opinions of the music you try out affect your opinion of it?

ie: Not liking an album as much because /mu/ said it was shitty, or liking an album more than you would because /mu/ says it's for patricians
>>
Try not being a retard
>>
This is the most retarded thing I've ever seen posted on /mu/ in my nearly 10 years I've been here. Seriously, just give up and become an alcoholic OP there's no hope
>>
>>71864354
You're just taking things too personally my man. I know how you feel. Because it's how I feel at times.

One thing I've learned is that most of this issue is hyperbolically self-inflicted. For example, if someone were to say "[a certain band] is shit", and you only liked one of their albums to begin with, that's no reason to stop listening to that particular album. Because who's to say that person wasn't just generalizing and hasn't even listened to that album? It's just one example. But regardless, it's not the music's fault or anyone else's fault, it's your fault. So ultimately you just need to suck it up.
>>
File: 1465976004691.jpg (34KB, 363x349px) Image search: [Google]
1465976004691.jpg
34KB, 363x349px
>>71864419
Wow, never thought about it that way!

>>71864467
>become an alcoholic
One step ahead of you.
>>
>>71864555
I was talking about it more in a subconscious sense. As in, if a bunch of people praise an album you'll be more forgiving of it, even if you're very critical, and vice versa with heavily panned albums. I do realize that it's all just subjective, but that doesn't mean we're all influenced by others' opinions at all.
>>
>>71864602
Exactly, and the same thing applies. You just have to learn to formulate your own opinions and enjoy things for the way they are.

But now that you put it that way I find it funny for you to be called retarded because I'm sure literally everyone here is the same way in regards to their opinions.
>>
>letting /mu/ form your musical opinions

/mu/ has shit taste in music. I don't trust anything /mu/ says. I've gotten a handful of musical recommendations that were actually decent.
>>
>>71864683
>I find it funny for you to be called retarded because I'm sure literally everyone here is the same way in regards to their opinions.
That was the point of this thread, to get some people to admit they have similar problems. Guess the average shitposter on here has too much pride, though
>>
how about you try this
you not let other people's opinions of the music you try out affect your opinion of it
i know it sounds absolutely crazy, but trust me, it works
>>
>>71864354
actually liking music for what it is instead of liking it to look cool in order to be accepted from basement dwellers.
Also not being a faggot helps.
>>
consider everyone who says an album you like is shit is a metalhead. That's what I do.
>>
Accept the truth: everyone on /mu/ has absolute shit taste, except me
>>
>>71864354

>he thinks /mu/'s opinion is worth a shit
>he's so insecure he can't just enjoy the things he enjoys

listen, /mu/ can show you some obscure stuff you might not have come across otherwise, but if you don't like something you don't like it

Not saying some music doesn't take a couple listens to grow on you but, shit man

stop worrying so much about outside validation so much
>>
>>71864354
The currency of criticism on /mu/ is extremely inflated. It really doesn't mean much when, for every good artist that gets discussed here, you can almost always find someone shitting on it.
>>
>>71864354
this won't be a problem if you introspect about what you actually look for in music, what makes you become attached to certain artists or what the medium in general is supposed to add to your life
you're only easily influenced as long as you don't know your own stance very well or why you hold it
or do it like me, become hypercontrarian, assume everyone around you is a retard so panned & divisive albums must be the most interesting
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.