[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys developed a fervent obsession

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 1488086238715.png (28KB, 354x286px) Image search: [Google]
1488086238715.png
28KB, 354x286px
>Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys developed a fervent obsession with the song,[17] leading Spector to quip: "I'd like to have a nickel for every joint he smoked trying to figure out how I got the 'Be My Baby' sound."[18] Wilson told The New York Times in 2013 that he has listened to the song more than 1,000 times.[13] Wilson explains his reaction to hearing the record for the first time:

>I was in my car with my girlfriend and we were driving around... When all of a sudden this guy Wink Martindale—a disc jockey—he goes, "All right! Here we go with 'Be My Baby' by the Ronettes." It started playing … All of a sudden it got into this part—"be my, be my baby"—and I said "What is—what?! Whoa whoa!" I pulled over to the side of the street of the curb and went, "...My God! ...Wait a minute! ...No way!" I was flipping out. I really did flip out. Balls-out totally freaked out when I heard. … In a way it wasn't like having your mind blown, it was like having your mind revamped. It's like, once you've heard that record, you're a fan forever.[19]

>The song ultimately revamped Wilson's songwriting and creative aspirations.[20] Wilson considers his "Don't Worry Baby" to be the male answer to "Be My Baby".[21][22] At one point, he instructed Beach Boys engineer Stephen Desper to create a tape loop consisting only of the song's chorus, listening to it for several hours in what Desper saw as "some kind of a trance".[23] Wilson's daughter Carnie stated that during her childhood: "I woke up every morning to boom boom-boom pow! Boom boom-boom pow! Every day."[24] Brian Wilson eventually did a cover of the song with the Beach Boys in July 1980 and later in 2000 on his solo album Live at the Roxy Theatre.
>>
I've probably listened to it a similar amount of times ._.
>>
>>71771902
first time hearing the song. this is great. i can see what he was so excited about
>>
I remember once I got really high and played that song like 40 times. When I got into the Beach Boys and found out Brian basically did the same thing every day it made me happy. Too bad I'm not a brilliant but crazy genius who can translate that into Pet Sounds pt 2.
>>
>>71772329
Original stereo version from the LP is great too (because fuck Back to Mono) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ceRov1AUg
>>
how i was introduced to be my baby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0KMxLvsvLI
>>
>>71772530
in the same camp

great movie, definitely grew on me
>>
>>71772494
>Original stereo version
MOAR CHANNELS
>>
>>71772547
>great movie, definitely grew on me
definitely. i just want an epilepsy-fu ;=;
>>
File: ronettes.jpg (98KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
ronettes.jpg
98KB, 600x599px
>>71772577
Stereo LP's were around since the 50's dude
>>
>>71772577
>Mono
>ever
Stereo has more room to work with and doesn't sound like a tin can.
>>
>>71772610
Wooahhh, Stereo!
>>
>>71772625
yeah and most sound shit
>DUDE LETS JUST PUT DIFFERENT SHIT IN DIFFERENT CHANNELS SO IT SOUNDS UNNATURAL LMAO
>>
>>71772494

>60s Spector in stereo

Full fucking retard.
>>
>>71772494
God it took way too long for people to figure out that you aren't supposed to hard pan drums.
>>
>>71772667
>Pretending to know what you're talking about this hard

The entire album is true stereo, sorry you fell for the mono meme (which was the actual consumerist trash mastered for AM radio since only audiophiles had stereo systems in '64)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eNtqhSNnx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUBRcjQgn0
>>
>>71772610
>>71772625
Are you guys seriously advocating for early 60s stereo mixing? Engineers at the time didn't have a fucking clue how to deal with it, so every attempt just had extreme L-R discrepancies between the different channels, and are not carefully adjusted to create a wholly encompassing sound. You'll get entire vocal takes on just R and their third harmony on just L and it sounds sooo bad
>>
>>71772757
>The entire album is true stereo
there are mono pressings and there are stereo pressings

>mastered for AM radio
does this somehow make it worse?
>>
>>71772494
Jesus christ, no. Nothing by 60s Spector should ever be heard in stereo. That's like badly colorizing a perfectly nice black and white photo.
>>
>>71772744
Took until 1969 at the earliest, possibly as late as 1971. I mean, even if they didn't care about stereo cause it was a niche market at the time you'd think they'd at least try and make it sound not disgusting.
>>
>>71772682
The unconventionality of 60's stereo mixes vs. the tin-can mono versions in general is part of the charm desu, but still not seeing any criticism of the actual stereo mixes of the Ronettes that aren't just boilerplate from some press release

>>71772805
Certainly doesn't make it better

>>71772904
No, that's Pet Sounds in stereo
>>
>>71773001
>no that's pet sounds in stereo
Ok you got me there, that's far more offensive.
>>
pet sounds is better in stereo than this shit
>>
File: 20.jpg (129KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
129KB, 720x960px
>>71772757
>Despite the trend towards multichannel recording, Spector was vehemently opposed to stereo releases, claiming that it took control of the record's sound away from the producer in favor of the listener. Spector was more concerned with the overall collage of sound than with the recording fidelity or timbral quality. Sometimes a pair of strings or horns would be double-tracked multiple times to sound like an entire string or horn section. But in the final product the background sometimes could not be distinguished as either horns or strings.

>Brian Wilson agreed, stating: "I look at sound like a painting, you have a balance and the balance is conceived in your mind. You finish the sound, dub it down, and you’ve stamped out a picture of your balance with the mono dubdown. But in stereo, you leave that dubdown to the listener—to his speaker placement and speaker balance. It just doesn't seem complete to me."

sorry you've never experienced the true Wall of Sound Experience™
to reiterate: it was originally recorded, mixed and intended for mono, therefore any stereo reproduction is untrue.

>>71773001
>the tin-can mono versions
listen to better masterings, back to mono (1991) is notoriously distorted and crummy.
>>
File: 20.jpg (129KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
129KB, 720x960px
>>71773058
>>
Was layering vocals that new of a concept at the time?
>>
>>71773090
I've been mastering my music in mono because of that Brian Wilson quote for a long fucking time.
>>
File: phil-spector-435.jpg (34KB, 435x580px) Image search: [Google]
phil-spector-435.jpg
34KB, 435x580px
Glad I was able to enlighten so many deep Phil Spector scholars who two hours ago didn't know he released his records in stereo in the sixties

A lot of talented people worked on those records, the stereo versions sound extremely cool and good
>>
>>71772682
>DUDE LETS JUST PUT DIFFERENT SHIT IN DIFFERENT CHANNELS
That's how stereo works. Dual mono is not stereo.
>>
>>71773090
>Brian Wilson agreed, stating: "I look at sound like a painting, you have a balance and the balance is conceived in your mind. You finish the sound, dub it down, and you’ve stamped out a picture of your balance with the mono dubdown. But in stereo, you leave that dubdown to the listener—to his speaker placement and speaker balance. It just doesn't seem complete to me."
Brian Wilson has zero room to talk since he's deaf in one ear and thus completely incapable of experiencing the glory that is stereo sound.

As for Spector, he's an egomaniac and convicted murderer, so going against his wishes sounds like the proper thing to do to me.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.