[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

more like To Pleb A Butterfly Seriously though, this foray

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

more like To Pleb A Butterfly

Seriously though, this foray into "jazz" is contrived at best, and offensive at worst.

Why do people think this is the best thing since sliced bread?
>>
>>71736895
Better question: why do you care? Is you goal to make a thread SO demeaning that TDE manages to see it and drops their most popular artist.

Seriously, how bored/lonely/bitter/white do you have to be?
>>
I guarantee OP is a big fan of Sam Hyde
>>
>>71736895
what the fuck is your fucking problem? dont you have a school shooting to prepare?
>>
>>71736895

i = 10/10
everything else = 7/10 at best

wonder why
>>
>>71736922
>>71736933
>>71736927

Why does someone not liking an album trigger you? Is discussion not the purpose of this board?

The foray into "jazz" was contrived at the best of times and offensive at the worst.

The introspection in some songs was pretty good, but Kendricks messiah complex really shines through. This isn't standard rap braggadacio, Kendrick appears to think himself a prophet
>>
>>71737564
>Is discussion not the purpose of this board?
no /mu/ is just about memes and everyone circlejerking themselves
tbf he didn't really ramble on enough to rekt them
>>
>>71737564
>The foray into "jazz" was contrived at the best of times and offensive at the worst.

I love when an autist thinks that repeating the exact same formulaic phrase is somehow advancing the argument.

the album is fine, not great, not entirely good.
>>
>>71736922
>>71736927
>>71736933
holy shit /mu/ has gone full tumblr
>>
>>71737608

Because no one addressed it? Why would I move the discussion forward if no one is willing to?
>>
>>71737684
maybe no one addressed it cuz it is not an interesting or provoking point. maybe it's just your boring opinion. yet, you feel entitled to keep braying it.
>>
File: 1489591412929.jpg (284KB, 715x715px) Image search: [Google]
1489591412929.jpg
284KB, 715x715px
>>71736895
That's just like your opinion man. You didn't really say anything other than 'i didn't like it'
>>
>>71737722
>>71737706
he asked why other people like it so much
if you idiots weren't so triggered maybe you could answer him
>>
>>71737737
His post is dumb though, most people like it for the unique jazz-rap sound prevalent on many tracks and the lyricism. If you think the beats are " contrived at best, and offensive at worst" then it's just not for you. There's nothing more to it. Nobody is 'triggered'
>>
>>71737776

Why aren't you getting this? I clearly understand the point of view of thinking it's bad, yet when I ask you to explain WHY you defend it.

On that point, don't you see the hypocrisy in condemning me for not saying more than "it's bad" yet not post why you think it's good? You're still choosing not to do the action you're getting mad at me for not doing. You haven't laid out a position at all, at least I opened the question?

> prevalent on many tracks
>unique jazz rap
>and the lyricism

I hope you do understand those comments all mean nothing right?
>>
>>71737564
>think himself a prophet

um. did you even listen to the album? Half of the tracks are about him being a shitty person and feeling guilty.
>>
>>71737935
You know what else is completely meaningless?
>The foray into "jazz" was contrived at the best of times and offensive at the worst
>>
it's more of a foray into funk than jazz. there's very little jazz on this album
>>
>>71737564
As >>71738626 this anon points out, the messiah complex thing is just a blatant misinterpretation; the album is about struggling with guilt, base instincts, lack of dignity and control, not about Kendrick saving others, or even himself, in literally any way I can recall.

As far as jazz is concerned, I wouldn't really call it a "foray". I find that it's jazz influenced, but has more in common with funk and 70's era soul-influenced black music than strictly jazz. You can see that more too if you listen to the solo works of the instrumentalists that assisted with the backing tracks. Kamasi Washington is closer to jazz, sure, but Thundercat and Flying Lotus definitely draw stronger influences from other genres, though jazz is certainly among them.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "contrived", here, either. Do you mean that the jazz influence was forced, and that the songs would sound better without it? Because I don't really get that. I can't imagine song's like Wesley's Theory or u or even Alright without the jazz/funk sounds they borrow from. And I hardly see how it's offensive, unless you're also offended by other albums that tread a similar funk/jazz fusion territory as this album. Were you also offended by Head Hunters? Or the most recent Thundercat album?

People like this album in part because it's very lyrically good. Since you called out the term "lyricism" for some reason as being invalid in another post, let me explain what people consider good about the lyrics. They're accessible and mostly unpretentious, so you don't need to bust out a dictionary for them. They flow really well, which is more subjective, but they're rarely if ever choppy or stilted, and on many songs Kendrick is able to showcase a technically gifted and unique flow unlike any other rapper. They're also deep and meaningful, dealing with a multitude of complex issues that, at the very least, speaks to millions of people of all walks of life.
>>
>>71737935
>>71738755
you're allowed to not like this album, i mean yea you'll get some flak because you're posting an opinion on /mu/, but most people don't give a fuck if you don't like/listen to this album. However, the more "objective" criticisms you posted are ill-informed, contrived at best and offensive at worst. I find it hard to believe that you genuinely don't believe what people of all levels of musical enthusiasm and education like about this record.
>>
>>71736895
Kendricks incredible flow and word play.
The songs are strong together thematically.
The many ideas and concepts delivered through kendricks many personas or characters often contradictory to one another.
This way he does come off as preachy, it doesn't tell you what to think yet it presents the importance positions.

Kendrick has so much energy on each track and each one feels distinct yet they are strong together so well.

It's an album which demands you're attention there's no way you could catch it all in just one listen.

It's a project that actually breeds discussion, Danny's browns lady album for example was great, but there's nothing to actually talk about, yet people still discuss this album on the daily, it's truly unlike any other work these decade and so it stand out as does the artist.

Tl:dr it's great.
>>
>>71737684
well what makes it "contrived" or "offensive"?
>>
>>71738927
He doesn't have an answer. It's backed by live musicians which help it feel more organic and it never claims to be any form of high jazz or anything.

The only way I can imagine that it's offensive is if OP thinks it's too loud or busy, which would make me wonder why he's on this board in the first place, and not watching Leave it to Beaver.
>>
>contrived
>jazz
this is some faux intellectualism right here
>>
Gr8 B8 M8

If you don't like this album, then i'm curious as to what you would consider a good hip hop album
>>
Did he get BTFO and leave?
>>
>>71738992
hint: he doesn't listen to hip hop.

>>71738995
it appears so.
>>
This album came out at the right place, right time. That's the only reason it's considered good and how you know it's not actually good. If it came out during the 90s Kendrick and his piece of shit creation would be laughed out of the industry. Meanwhile actual masterpieces such as Ready to Die, et. al., would still receive critical acclaim if released today - which is how you know they're actually truly great.
>>
i like it a lot (-:
>>
File: premiumbait.png (102KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
premiumbait.png
102KB, 625x626px
>>71736895
/thread
>>
>>71736895
Please post this on a social media site do you can ridiculed for the faggot you are
>>
>>71739161
imagine actually thinking this
>>
Your opinion is problematic as fuck. Also you're a racist
>>
>>71736922
>>71736927
>>71736933
Imagine being this much of a faggot
>>
>>71736895
>jazz rap
>look at me tell someone to arpegiate a minor 7th for me

at the end of the day jazz rap is a meme, and is not better or worse. it's a label more than a style
>>
>>71737935
I know fedora memes are a thing of the past, but holy shit you're tipping so hard I can feel it from here.
>>
loved gkmc
disliked tpab. think this is one of those albums white ppl like because they feel bad about what they did to us

t.black anon
>>
>>71741578
I don't know, I like that the album is very introspective. people tend to focus on the politically and racially charged lyrics the most, but I think it's a very personal album about dealing with depression and the status Kendrick's has been given by his fans. he feels he has to be this perfext black messiah when he feels he isn't. I thought it was very touching and it didn't make me wanna go around apologizing to black people in the streets for slavery.
>>
>foray into jazz
you do realize hip hop has been using jazz beats since its inception, right?
>>
>>71741226
>problematic
how's your undergrad rhetoric course going
>>
>>71741672
this t b h. The whole album is about guilt but it's Kendrick's guilt, not white guilt.
>>
>>71738755
>>71738784

Hey look well thought out responses, the kind that OP was complaining he wasnt getting, and yet there is no response

What a suprise
>>
>>71742115
>falling for bait this titanically obvious

ISGHDHGSGY
>>
>>71743864
wut
>>
>>71744258
>being this new
>>
>>71744683
>implying implications
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>71745081
thanks non-sequitur copypasta
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.