[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has this been the most boring decade for music of the past five

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 8

File: b.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
Has this been the most boring decade for music of the past five decades?

There really hasn't been much innovation or many memorable albums that will be looked back on years later
>>
>>71729958
I have to agree to be fair.
I've always been mad on my music but I've noticed the past several years I've basically listened to no music at all because everything that was coming out just sounded shit.
There's been some killer hardcore and metal albums coming out the past few months though, maybe shit's picking up again.
>>
No

There's been plenty of innovation and memorable albums, you choose not to like them or actively look for them.

Today there are already plenty of albums that are, socially, acclaimed. Here just look at mu core, for other social groups, look at some of the best pop albums over the last 5 decades.

As well you have different regions of the world with memorable albums you havent heard of, but you choose not to listen to it.
>>
>>71730039
Any you'd recommend?
>>
>>71729958

What do you think caused this?
>>
>>71730068

Kendrick Lamar
Beyoncé
>>
>>71730068

Solange
>>
>>71729958
No, you just like the wrong genres. Rap/hiphop have been doing fantastic in the last 10 years. Rock is in a slump but there are still bands like King Gizzard trying to keep the fire alive. There are a lot of smaller, weirder projects because of Bandcamp and the internet that are trying all sorts of weird, mostly shitty concepts that could lead to some truly special work in 10-20 years.

Pop sucks, but there are still artists like Carly Rae, and singer songwriters are as prominent as ever. And of course if you want future classic acts look no further than Death Grips and Swans.

We definately aren't in any sort of Renaissance like the early 90's were for grunge/shoegaze rock or the early-mid 2000s were for indie rock. I'd argue that's because music is still looking for that "next big sound" that is really a product of its age that latches onto a new wave of musicians.
>>
File: negan.png (203KB, 1027x667px) Image search: [Google]
negan.png
203KB, 1027x667px
>>71730114
>>71730127
>>
>>71730085
Rock and Electronic have been done to death
Also since there's no underground anymore and people can listen to whatever the hell they want, there can be no new movement or culture to shape this era
>>
>>71730068
in full sincerity, Death Grips

if you're asking for 'innovation' in the context of the most recent decade, you have to find things that have been labelled 'experimental'. To narrow it down is the kicker, but it's tough to find recent stuff that has already had a negligible and noticeable influence to be considered 'innovative'
>>
>>71730147
>there's no underground anymore

Welcome to a post-recession economy.
>>
>>71730068
Mu core has a few good albums. Those are socially acclaimed ones that many people enjoy, although good chances you might not like them.
Jazz has had there best releases these last 5 decades, just take any big name jazz artist and find their best album.
Brian Eno with ambient, genre was pretty empty before him, so thats innovative/memorable, but of course not if you dont like that music.
Pop, or maybe alt-rock or pop-rock, peaked last decade with bands like Coldplay. Again, just preference, if you dont think anything is memorable or innovative you're wrong, but you're not wrong when you say "i simply dont like it"

Pretty much all of the 80s was pretty innovative.
>>
>>71730068
Not him, but
Amnesia Scanner - AS Truth
SOPHIE - PRODUCT
serpentwithfeet - Blisters
Liturgy - The Ark Work (yes I'm serious)
Battle Trance - Palace of Wind
>>
>>71730068
James Blake-James Blake comes to mind
>>
>>71730181
Youtube making the radio and MTV obsolete did this
>>
>>71730181

The 50-90s were post-recession and had good stuff

The economy was great
>>
File: a2920217675_10.jpg (367KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
a2920217675_10.jpg
367KB, 900x900px
>>
>>71730301

MTV started airing reality tv shit 24/7 that's why they died and the radio just started plays pop now even rock stations are playing pop shit
>>
File: 1480492579258.png (206KB, 267x392px) Image search: [Google]
1480492579258.png
206KB, 267x392px
>>71730129
>Rap/hiphop have been doing fantastic in the last 10 years.
>>
>>71730250
this guy fucks
>>
>>71730383

Rap and hip hop helped kill music.
>>
>>71730383
>>71730408
kek
>>
Because of the globalists anti-white agenda.
>>
>>71729958
Nowadays people can pick whatever they want to listen to and since the common man has bad taste that's what's popular, music is still good it's just mostly unpopular but I think its better now than it was about 10 years ago, that time was bleak
>>
>>71730514

Yeah the normies taste in nigger music ruined everything. I agree.
>>
it's obvious we've come to the end of music. now that youtube memes hard its impossible to even finna listen to a music, now. Vevo and 4chan need to collaborate, stupid
>>
>>71730383
They have. Solidly. 2007-2017 has a good range of quality hip hop and rap albums, arguably the best in a long time.
>>
Moving forward I believe music innovation will occur via the audiovisual format. And I'm not talking music videos. I'm referring to music that's so entwined with the visual arts to the point where the latter ascribes a certain "feel" to the former.

Yes, I know it sounds like I'm talking about vaporwave but I'm not. Think, for example, of works like Death Grips' Government Plates. Or Bon Iver's latest record. Or even artists who are experimenting with VR like Bjork and Motion Graphics. I feel these are all advances towards a more engaging music format unlike anything we've seen before. It's like the inverse of what makes soundtrack music so enthralling. There's this "sound", and with that sound, an aesthetic or atmosphere is created, and dynamically fleshed out. Is it completely original? Hell no, of course not. But certain artists are most definitely pushing boundaries with this idea. GP is probably the prime example. 22, A Million was a next step in my eyes.

I'm not saying this is the future, but it would definitely be a shame if artists didn't start cashing in on this idea. Talented artists that is, because if there's no talent then both the 'audio' and the 'visual' falls flat on its face. Which is why this whole idea helps filter out the shitty artists. Because if you can't create an atmosphere with your music, then you're a shit artist period.
>>
>>71730068
Dream Pop/Noise pop
>Candy Claws - In the Dream of Sea Life and Ceres & Calypso

Experimental Pop
>Clarence Clarity - No Now

Indie rock/indie pop
>Everything Everything - Get to Heaven

Shoegaze
>pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered

Ambient/drone
>Tim Hecker - Virgins

Math Rock
>Tiny Moving Parts - Celebrate
>Tricot - Kabuku EP

Punk/Sludge metal/Funk
>Dope Body - Nupping
>>
Weird you say that considering music's greatest moment was the release of this.
>>
>>71729958
Everything feeels disposable even when it's good.
>>
>>71730129
>King Gizzard trying to keep the fire alive.

Boring rehashed out psych even worse than trash impala
>>
>>71729958
The 2000s have been absolute shit. A lot of good albums, but almost no innovation.
>>
>>71730383
>Cory Gunz
>Charles Hamilton
>Chance the Rapper
>Earl Sweatshirt
>Tyler the Creator
>Danny Brown
>Joey Badass
>Jay Electronica
>Death Grips
>Clipping
>>
>>71731295
>no
>no
>no
>yes
>eh
>yes
>fuck no
>fuck no
>not conventional hip-hop
>gimmick rap

Wow, two good rappers. Also you forgot Kendrick. So that makes three. Wow, three good rappers. Such a good time for rap music.
>>
>>71729958
Hip hop is the most interesting genre at the moment
>>
>>71730306
The 90's were not post-recession. The recession in the early 90's was nowhere near the 2008 crash.

What makes this so important is 2 things:

1) Investors are more cautious.
2) Internet killed the TV star.

What I mean for 1 is that after the recession, investors and capital for the wide amount of who could be an investor got smaller. This means that there's less opportunity to spread that wealth because there's less investors. Investors for the past 10 years want to be safe, because they're scared of getting screwed on a bad investment. And media is the first to go. Remember the movie Red Line? It was a movie that used the producer's private car collections. This was a great example of what was to come. Great investments do not make great returns anymore. Furthermore, since the fall, failing brick and mortar had led to an open season on new business coming in.

Which leads us to who the internet killed the TV star. It's now easy to just hear the music on YouTube. While this makes it easier to garner buzz and potentially fans, it doesn't sell records. >>71730301is wrong in the sense that it killed the underground. In fact, it made the underground a lot more accessible. Punk rock, Hip-Hop and Alternative rock bands had survived for YEARS before putting out a single record. Even now, they still do it. While sites like Bandcamp have ensured that the artists are able to make cash off their work, what we need to come back to is my first point:

Investors in cities are more interested in producing living and business spaces than loud venues or practice spaces for bands as it leads to a more garunteed profit margin than these indie cultures.

Artists can survive in our day and age, but venues and practice spaces cannot. They're not economically viable for investing developers. In my city, I work in a restaurant that had occupied space from a previous jazz club. Plans to revitalize the area downtown had the intention to have restaurants, boutiques, and bars
>>
>>71729958
I feel like this has been a decade of consolidation. Lots of old influences coming back into vogue.
>>
>>71731609
No music venues. They're loud, they're mean and the more attic shows are a disturbance and a blight on a city's reputation.

Understanding that the direction of where local real estate developers want to build and how they want to build is paramount for the future for a city's underground.

A lot of bands who played in cities such as San Fransisco have moved to LA or even other parts of the state to survive.
>>
op forgot about kanye west yeezus
>>
>>71730250
this. HHH is so underappreciated.
>>
>>71731331
B4DA$$ is pretty good tho.
How about Piñata?
Rodeo's production is really great (inb4 you don't listen to music for the music).
>>
>>71729958
the internet has had a huge and incredible effect on music op. listen to these anons

>>71730250
>>71730151
>>71730345
>>71732057
>>
I dont listen to a lot modern songs, by modern I mean anything from 2010+ but Halsey is pretty neat. Other than her, I stick to the early 2000's bands. also japanese rock is pretty great.
>>
>>71733769

>I dont listen to a lot modern songs, by modern I mean anything from 2010+

thats fine its not for everyone i guess.

>but Halsey is pretty neat.

omg

>. also japanese rock is pretty great

my cunt hurts
>>
>>71733806
I cant tell if this a compliment or not, I really like LiSA, One Ok Rock, Asian Kung-Fu generation, The Pillows, Yoko Kanno,Puffy AmiYumi is neat, and Flow. I tried to not like Halsey but she has a nice voice.
>>
It's down to technology. We've been able to make any sound we can imagine for a couple of decades now. You don't have new instruments like the electric guitar, synth, etc. bringing in whole new movements. What's happening now is mostly a process of digestion and hybridization.

Also a lot of the juice at the moment is in tech (and maybe now politics?) Some young stars open a Youtube channel or go build an app. The money's good and there's little travel.

I'm not sure if it's cyclical and we'll have a great creative period again, or if music will go the way of other moribund art forms like painting. Just have to wait and see.
>>
Have you heard music from 100,000 BC? Talk about uninspired...
>>
>>71733806
its a compliment.

liking halsey isn't.
>>
>>71733910
>sex noises
>autistic screeching
>>
>>71733898
>or if music will go the way of other moribund art forms like painting. Just have to wait and see.

thats really depressing to think about
>>
>>71733912
Halsey is my guilty pleasure, I know shes just another singer, but I like her voice, not her lyrics.
>>
>>71733937
Yeah that always gets to people when I bring it up. Who was the last high impact mainstream painter? Warhol? People know Haring but mostly for dying of AIDS.

Now you have Kinkade churning out vapid by the numbers pretty shit for the masses and some small scenes centered around art museums in major cities that nobody else gives a shit about and that's it. I can see the parallels in where music is at....
>>
>>71733898
Do you think it's because we partons of the arts have been in a whiplash over the growth of the technology? It seems that everyone is reactionary in some for or manner now.

It feels like everyone is doing revival because it sells and it's familiar. Yet, at the same time, Death Grips exists. As much as we don't like to admit it, Death Grips is original. However, they're just a popular Digital Hardcore band.
>>
>>71734091
desu, i know its considered being edgy or whatever, but i feel artists need to start taking themselves more seriously.
>>
>>71734091
Yeah, I think everyone's trying to cope with technology. Studies show anger and fear spread most easily online and people are being pushed to the breaking point. More generally, during times of major physical dislocation mainstream cultural output becomes fairly conservative. Just look at the 30s/40s compared to the 20s or 60s. That's cyclical.

On the other hand a lot of music's old cultural and political functions were usurped by cable TV and then social media. Music is comparatively slow to respond and often simple by comparison when it does. I don't think those functions are coming back.

Some revival strikes me as people trying to find new hybrids, while some of it seems like people throwing their hands up and trying to compensate by being "authentic."

Not sure about DG, people outside here aren't sure what to do with them. Some of their ideas may be influencing more well known musicians...
>>
>>71734162
The hell of it is that social media turns mainstream art into a numbers game. People care more about how many people are consuming than what the art is actually saying. There's a lot of pressure to put out an album with radio singles, or that will fill that next arena tour.
>>
>>71734162
I can agree. I didn't like Lemonade, but it made a major cultural statement.

>>71734258
I think with the advent of social media and the politicization of the masses, I think that people will play the numbers game to use the music to champion their beliefs. Of course, labels can make a killing off of that.

>>71734236
Yeah, like Bowie's Darkstar.

So, looking at the trends in music in general, it seems to me that music is trying to take a "tried and true" approach. Else while, it seems that bands who are trying to "move forward" such as Weezer and Linkin Park are failing hard.

Do you think there is a future for these bands to move back, or do you think these two bands have just been victims of reactionary beliefs in music and that it is going the way of Traditional Pop, such as The Inkspots?
>>
>>71733898
Painting died because of photography, dude.
>>
>>71734322
I think Weezer and Linkin Park are just too old, and I say that as someone who grew up with them. Their fans are getting married and having kids. They aren't keeping up and certainly aren't here for experimentation. Meanwhile the younger generation wants their own musicians, as always, and will mostly ignore these acts.

I think a big push in current music is towards stripped back, jeans and tshirt type acts. It's "authentic", a bit anti-technology, etc. It's also a response to the internet efficiently exposing how everything was being manufactured. Now if only those acts were more interesting.

I don't see any signs of traditional pop coming back much at the moment. Certainly pop groups seem to be basically dead outside of the UK and Asia.
>>
>>71734405
Nice /r/music copypaste.
>>
>>71734378
You mean realistic portrait painting. That was why abstract art developed in the late 19th century, and that lasted until the mid-20th century. After the 1960s however, painting essentially died.
>>
>>71734378
I don't know about that. I personally can't name a single high impact, mainstream photographer. It's not like painting died at a point where the main trend was photorealism.
>>
>>71734405
To me, Linkin park changed to much between minutes to midnight and a thousand suns. I know that it's what they do, theyve been a band that changes their sound between albums, but they changed to much for me. Idk, maybe I'm in the minority with this feeling.
>>
>>71734423
I don't think /r/music would ever admit Weezer and Linkin Park aren't hip anymore. It's always the mid 90s-early 00s there.
>>
File: trash.jpg (18KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
18KB, 210x240px
>>71734405
>I think Weezer and Linkin Park are just too old, and I say that as someone who grew up with them
>admitting that he listened to LP back in the day
>>
>>71734378
is there proof of this? not trying to sound like a dick just curious
>>
>>71731331
>Open Mike Eagle
>Quelle Chris
>Ghostface Killah
>Busdriver
>Milo
>Killer Mike & El-P
>noname
>Rapsody
>Skepta
>A$AP Rocky
>Despot
>Sage Francis
>Jonwayne
>Offset
>Ab-Soul
>P.O.S.
>Isiah Rashad
Does anyone really want to seriously push the idea that there's only two or three good rappers nowadays?
Also:
>not differentiating between technically good rappers and rappers that make music that you don't like
>>
>>71734322
I don't know why , but i feel very optimistic about the 20s because with all the discussions it seems that people are just tired of the same bullshit being churned out. of course mainstream top 40s will still exist but it'd be nice to see a couple of artists/bands bringing new things to the mainstream.
>>
Wait, anyone actually cares about Weezer and Linkin Park in 2017?
>>
>>71734542
I stopped caring about linkin park after they released a thousand suns, weezer, I've never liked in the sense of, I didnt like every song, or every album, just some of their music.
>>
>>71734465
You got me, I never listened to Linkin Park. I was trying to be nice. Teenage me was all about the first few Weezer albums though.
>>
As far as dead art forms, the novel is one of them. One does not see novels anymore like Moby Dick or Ulysses that redefine the culture. Modern novels are simply mass-market serialized bubblegum like all those Stephanie Meyer books.
>>
>>71734582
Why even bring those old washed-up fucks up anyway? Their time has passed.
>>
>decade that produced the great, the magnificent Claire Boucher
>bad
>>
>>71734620
Novels aren't dead though in the sense that people very much still write and read them. However, nobody does painting anymore other than feminists at your local community college who smear period blood on a canvas.
>>
I don't agree that music is dead, however the paradigm of it has shifted. The 1960s AOR format reigned for so long that we came to accept it as a permanent part of the landscape, when it began to fade after 2005.
>>
>>71734667
please tell me this isn't real
>>
>>71734748
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/artist-uses-her-menstrual-blood-to-paint-donald-trump-526467651776

I wish I was making it up.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (82KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
82KB, 512x512px
>>71730068
Devin Townsend created an entirely new genre of Country in 2014.
>>
File: Casualties-of-Cool-770x470.png (284KB, 770x470px) Image search: [Google]
Casualties-of-Cool-770x470.png
284KB, 770x470px
>>71734805
co-sign this album being incredible and yeah, there's nothing out there like it. Also, Ché has one of the sexiest and most moving voices I've heard in years.
>>
>>71729958

The problem is a lot of people are just doing the same thing over and over and over again with little to no innovation. I would say music is as shit or as good now as it has ever been, but there is a lack of struggle in a lot of modern music. Another problem seems to be most artists besides rappers are afraid to be open and big in their music. Every time I listen to a new white hit indie album it's some guy or girl whispering or whining in their vocals. This gets stale over time when every song is about insecurities and their inability to overcome the nonsense they are afraid of.

Now, if you try to hard it will be "cringy" or some shit which is sad. Even grunge with all its irony and "look how mad/sad we are" still brought musicians who knew they were the shit and acted like it. The only innovation going on in music is Electronic, Rap, and Metal.

Electronic because it takes one crazy fuck to make a weird album however he/she wants. Rap because for whatever reason black people haven't become completely scared of their own shadow yet - and metal because they are all degenerates or outcast already. I will say though, a lot of metal that is coming out is just parodying the "BRUTAL" metal side and will fall down the same well as indie music. Hip hop and electronic music are the only two things going on now because it takes one individual with some guts to make something new.
>>
>>71734852
>The problem is a lot of people are just doing the same thing over and over and over again with little to no innovation

Do you know how many decades of bluesmen copying Stevie Ray Vaughan and metal bands copying Pantera we've had?
>>
>>71734872

Yes, in the next sentence I say that has been going on forever.
>>
>>71734872
That's just like how classical music evolved at a furious rate through the 18th century, but Beethoven finally set a standard so high that there was no further place to take it.
>>
>>71734852
I see your point, but I disagree with your examples. Metal is too fucking orthodox. They want to honor their founders or be tru kvlt.

I mean, Sunbather got fucking flack for not being metal enough.

That being said, innovation in each of the genres exist as we become a very different place than 10 years ago. It's just at this point "guitar music" has taken a backseat because it tends not to appeal to these kids, nor has the culture of some American cities allowed for it to grow.

Hell, some leases ban musical instruments from being used and practice spaces are becoming less and less available.
>>
>>71734444
Nice quads, that is true, graphic designers are the new painters and advertising is their canvas.

Rich people then trickle down to middle class people will get their own musicians perhaps with a paid service to make family songs. Aristocracy days return.

>>71734523
True and he got back at them by making a traveling Proper Art exhibit that was a lot more popular than anything these guys would make.

>>71734542
2016 one of the better reviewed albums and biggest hit songs was Weezer tbf.
>>
>>71734944
>Metal is too fucking orthodox. They want to honor their founders or be tru kvlt.
>I mean, Sunbather got fucking flack for not being metal enough

See point about how Christgau said that metal was reactionary and not forward-thinking. For comparison, hip-hop thinks forward and one need never have heard a single NWA or Biggie track to be a rapper in 2017.
>>
>>71734944

While I do agree there is a section of metal that doesn't even want girls in their videos because that's not "metal" - I would counter your point by saying black metal influences, ambient, classical, etc.. all have a place in a lot of metal music. Of course there are albums that sounds like the same shit for the past 20 years, but for every album like that you can find 3 ones by newer bands doing something different. Like I said though, metal is failing in the same way a lot of indie music was because they are becoming afraid to break the paradigm and usually stick to being ironic with power or black metal parodies.
>>
>>71735003
>Like I said though, metal is failing in the same way a lot of indie music was because they are becoming afraid to break the paradigm

Like, come on. Is it that hard to do a metal album in 2017 that sounds different from Vulgar Display of Power, which came out 25 years ago?
>>
>>71734944
>t's just at this point "guitar music" has taken a backseat because it tends not to appeal to these kids
Which kids?
>>
>>71735059
The ones that still go to high school. The ones the labels like to market to.

>>71735003
You're right, but I am tired of the constant "back to form" that metal has taken on.

>>71735041
Shockingly, yes. It won't be "metal" enough or appease the Manowar assholes.
>>
>>71734992
Probably because hip-hop doesn't involve playing instruments. Also even a terrible rapper inherently makes a sociological statement, while bad rock is nothing more than elevator music you play over the sound system at Gap.
>>
>>71735112
No, because new rappers don't give a fuck.

AdRock said that and he's right in saying that they shouldn't.

https://youtu.be/23ZlUOeiCqo

You see this occur with a fuckton of old rappers beefing with the new blood.
>>
>>71735105
>The ones that still go to high school. The ones the labels like to market to.

That's a hax argument because teenagers are just passive sheeple who listen to the music made by young adults. If there's no guitar music, the onus isn't on some 13 year old, it's on today's 20-30 year olds for being uninterested in playing it.
>>
>>71735059Not him but most kids I know listen to new rap and thats about it, idk if its just edgyness but new rap to me just doesnt have the soul gangster rap had. But yeah I know few kids that listen to songs that have guitar solos that are sweet. I wish a more people would listen to those sweet riffs, its like an orgasm man. But hey thats just high school.
>>
>>71735142
Oh they still do, but it don't sell like Yachty. You can dismiss the demographic, but don't underplay their influence on where pop music goes.
>>
>>71735138
You sure you didn't mean to reply to >>71734992?
>>
>>71735162
Yachty sucks butt though.
>>
>>71735163
No, I'm sure I was refuting the fact that Hip-Hop changes because it lacks instruments.

Rock music changed just as fast.
>>
>>71735177
So does Slipknot, but they sold records en masse to my generation.
>>
>>71734992
>>71735138
That would be unthinkable for a metal band where you can't play metal unless you know the complete works of Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, and Pantera.

I would say that pop is an odd case because it should be forward-thinking and disposable, but pop stars have been lunching off Madonna's legacy for decades.
>>
I think it's more the lack of innovation in rock than anything. Also no, I don't agree with >>71735162. To me, it's always been pretty obvious that teenagers are passive sheeple, as evidenced by the many horrible artists you listened to when you were 13 and had no taste.
>>
Hip-hop is disposable because it's an inherently topical genre and based in strict realism--it's a lot like a SNL skit. Most people would find SNL episodes from the 90s dated and totally unwatchable now (>Bill Clinton jokes). Rock and especially metal deals in the abstract, even if song lyrics reference a particular event that happened when the album came out, it's abstract enough that you can reinterpret the lyrics to mean anything you like.

The exception of course being punk, also a genre that deals in realism and topical subjects so it dates worse than most forms of music.
>>
>>71729958
Because everyone is just like

>dude so intellectual lmao

or

>dude so edgy and crazy lmao

When both aren't very interesting I guess. I think people just need to b themselves
>>
>>71734992
Yes. Christgau is a big post-modernist, he's always looking for the next big thing in music and why he favors genres like punk that have a throwaway mentality. Metal is a near-180 degree opposite from that kind of thinking. Even where metal has moved forward, it always paid homage to the previous generation of bands and listening to them is essential.
>>
>>71735282
Punk is very times based, for sure. The song Ronnie and Mags by NOFX is very much applicable to a certain time. Still great if you know the context but yeah punk is very times based.
>>
>>71735233
Yeah...but even as a teenager, you probably had some vague idea that crooner music was old-fashioned and uncool.
>>
>>71735282
The exceptions being stuff like the Ramones who weren't as political, their stuff has held up a little better.
>>
>>71734763
fuck the world that women is sick in the head

if a man did that with his cum can you imagine the uproar it would cause?
>>
>>71735360
As proof of my argument, the reason jazz died after the 1950s was because the music industry made a conscious effort to promote rock. The kids had no real say in it, but rock was what they had to listen to and what record labels marketed at them. They weren't the 45 year old Jewish guy in the marketing department of Capitol Records.

They also thoroughly segregated popular music after the 50s rock-and-roll era had crossed racial lines. By the late 60s, the industry had clearly decided to split between rock (whites) and soul/funk (blacks).
>>
>>71735406
>if a man did that with his cum can you imagine the uproar it would cause?

If a gay man made a portrait of Trump with his jizz, it would be hailed as a brilliant work of art.
>>
garden of delete...
>>
It's hard to say why stuff comes and goes in and out of style. For example, how did it become cool for 20-something hipsters to wear fedoras and sock garters? When my dad was 21, only guys Frank Sinatra's age wore that shit. It was absolutely uncool and old guy.
>>
>>71735059
why any retarded in this day and age would market to "kids" for any reason other than cash is beyond me

kids these days just want meme rap and shit music let them have it
>>
>>71735514
Like I told you, it's always been like that--13 year olds have no taste and have never had taste. The really good stuff, the underground stuff isn't even listened to by that age group, it's listened to by adult hipsters.

When you're like 14, you can't even get into a lot of concerts because they're 18+. Your music consists entirely of the crud served to you by Warner and Viacom, a carefully watered down and commercialized version of the stuff going on in the underground.
>>
>>71735233
how does one go about innovating rock?

that and when a band thee days tries to everyone just complains anyways
>>
>>71735429
i meant a straight man but yes yer right lets just wait until that painting gets made in the next couple of years
>>
>>71735537
My sister used to think Creed were heavy. Now she's ashamed for having had that belief...
>>
>>71735537
you told the other guy not me but okay yer right
>>
DUDE INNOVATION LMAO

I like great, new melodies. There are plenty of those being written. Robert Pollard writes 50 good songs a year. Stop listening to nu/mu-male core
>>
>>71735582
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9tutMjK3Gk

hue hue hue hueee
>>
>>71730026
>killer hardcore
Any recs? I'm having a hard time finding good hardcore
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc
This is why
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.