[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled... What do you HONESTLY think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: to pimp a butterfly.jpg (176KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
to pimp a butterfly.jpg
176KB, 1000x1000px
Now that the dust has settled...

What do you HONESTLY think of this album?
>>
>>71691254
solid 6/10
>>
Love it
>>
>>71691254
fuck white people
>>
Deserves 100% of the praise it gets.
>>
Everything but B O O B O O is a good track.
>>
>>71691254
Thought it was a 10/10 when it came out, now I think it's a 9/10. Mortal Man is a bad ending to a great album, although I do think the message of the actual song part is nice. Kinda sad though, knowing that Kendrick probably wont be able to live up to this album.
>>
File: 1486953373575.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
1486953373575.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
>>71691280
>Brainlets can't even understand Kendrick
Damn....
>>
Thought it was a 9-10/10 when it came out. I basically have no time for it now and would go as far as a 6.
>>
>>71691289
Muted
>>
Not as memorable as Good Kid MAAD City
>>
>>71691254
Best album of the last ten years
>>
>>71691289
JUST GOT MAH DICK SUCKED
>>
>>71691391
>Best album of the last ten years
But Kendrick released GK/MC in 2012
>>
>>71691254
we/10
>>
>>71691289
Your opinion, BOO BOO
>>
>>71691254
The word "hype" wasn't enough to describe the media assault on the sprawling 80-minute To Pimp a Butterfly (2015), another meticulously crafted album that employed legions of writers, producers and musicians (including jazz pianist Robert Glasper and jazz saxophonist Kamasi Washington). Six people wrote Wesley's Theory, including George Clinton, and four produced it, including Flying Lotus. Nine people are credited as writers for the funk-fest King Kunta, making it de facto a collage. The producers threw in more live instruments, resulting in a sound that is more revivalist than innovative, but also a sound that helps the general theatrical atmosphere. For better and for worse, The Blacker the Berry is the epitome of this emphatically pointless but fashionable avant-jazz-rap music. I begins as an olf-fashioned synth-pop hit of the 1980s before it begins to sound like a James Brown parody (with the lyrics "the number one rapper in the world" and "i love myself") accented by a jovial piano figure. The best psychodrama is possibly one of the simplest songs, the melodic funk-soul These Walls, and the best political sermon the equally straightforward funk ditty Hood Politics. But the music is secondary to the histrionics and it doesn't matter that the catchy and danceable Alright stands in opposition of the industrial beat that derails Momma, a fact that could account for at least eclecticism. This is a superficial and, ultimately, middle-of-the-road album from an artist who lacks the visceral energy of Public Enemy and Tackhead while also lacking the poetic depth of Kanye West and the musical genius of El-P. He tries to be all of them at once, but maybe he would be most credible if he were just himself: a brilliant script-writer of fictionalized real-life stories: the Christian parable How Much a Dollar Cost presents God disguised as a homeless man, and Mortal Man interviews the ghost of dead rapper 2Pac. 6/10.
>>
A little preachy but a good overall experience and has some great tracks
>>
>>71691515
>poetic depth of kanye west
kys scaruffi
>>
8/10. Love it
>>
It's an incredible album, both production and rap wise. I really like how Kendrick melts the beat-rap separation you usually have and allows for his voice to shift and blend with the rest of the sounds in various ways.
I actually think the social message it attempts to create is the weakest point about this album - but it doesn't really ruin it as much as it ruins people's perception of it.
>>
for sale? interlude is weirdly my favorite song
>>
File: 1481694681074.jpg (40KB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
1481694681074.jpg
40KB, 480x362px
>>71691515
I've seen both positive and negative reviews of this album on RYM that were less fucking vapid and condescending than this, which is saying a lot.
>>
>>71691254
Never listened to it and don't plan on ever listening to it. I'll stick with Souls of Mischief, Pete Rock, and Tribe if I want to listen to hiphop.
>>
>>71691254
overrated trash
>>
>>71691589
>>71691718
Plebs can't handle based Scaruffi.
>>
>>71691711
Mine too m8. It's just has a very calm and relaxing sound to it, which is funny as it's literally about the devil
>>
>>71691254
Kendrick Lamar is the Christopher Nolan of rap.
>>
>>71691254
He made the quintessential rap record with GKMC, but this will go down as the greatest album release since OK Computer.
>>
>>71691810
this reads like a dunkey video
>>
>>71691354
this
>>
>>71691810
No that's Kanye
>increasingly popular despite blunders without doibg anything different from his contempories but nailing a couple of fun ideas
>overrated material that holds itself up only
>very little, if any, artistic merit but knows the right people to shine as if he did
>>
i like it a lot 8/10
>>
>>71691896
I hate Nolan but he's one of the few decent mainstream auteurs from this generation. Also Memento is a pretty unrivaled movie
>>
Best rap album of my lifetime
>>
>>71691680
Really? I thought that was the exact problem of Section 80. When you listen to all three in a row, TPAB is a pretty logical next step that cohesively tries to ask (and succeeds) what it means to be a black man, while exploring the expectations and resposibility of fame AND delivering an experimental art project that sets himself even higher above his contemporaries.

And the release of untitled unmastered. was genius. Because it had all the hallmarks of a typical rap mixtape with the substance that comes with thinking like Kendrick Lamar does, AND the knowledge that these sessions helped crafter TPAB.
>>
>>71691934
Oh, don't me wrong, I'm a fan of both. It's just they're 8/10 acts that people treat like legends because they happen to stand on their egos a bit higher, but they both have clear visions that are better than most.
>>
honestly listening to this for the first time. got up to institutionalized and had to turn this fucking shit off, holy fuck its bad
>>
I think it's great, minus a few guest spots.

It should have ended on i, with Mortal Man somewhere in the middle. But that' s just me.
>>
institutionalized is one of the best rap songs I have ever heard
>>
File: drake.jpg (86KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
drake.jpg
86KB, 612x380px
It's a meme to like Kendrick on this board, right? I can think of TWENTY (20) different rappers I'd rather listen to.
>>
>>71691254
it has aged like milk
>>71691354
also this
>>
>>71691729
Your choice mate. I also like those guys but give it a listen. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
>>
>>71692027
IMO Good Kid, M.A.A.D City did the best to portray the life struggle of a black person in the US. How the ghetto pulls people down to it's level as that's all they know. Of course that doesn't apply to every black but this music is obviously made with those kinds of people in mind. TPAB feels a bit too much 'in the now' while I think GKMC's message will still be relevant in the future.
>>
>>71691254
Good kid mAAd city was better. RTJ shat all over it
>>
File: IMG_4690.jpg (28KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4690.jpg
28KB, 200x200px
>>71691254
It has some great songs but also a lot of filler

Overall a good album but worst Kendrick album
>>
>>71692079
ok i was like i should give it another chance, played These Walls and i shit you not I LITERALLY have a fucking headache now. its just awful man wtf.
>>
>>71692215
this isn't old /mu/ metal head
>>
>>71692079
>>71692215
UGH im like literally dying right now i cant even kendrick is soooo bad lmao
>>
>>71692231
i hate metal, i don't listen to anything else besides rap
>>71692241
haha xD right?
>>
>>71691805
>which is funny as it's literally about the devil
Temptation is suppose to sound pleasing which is the devils entire schtick
>>
>>71692273
What's so bad about both these songs
>>
>>71692181
I think good kid, m.A.A.d. city did everything that Illmatic did, but better and I think in one stroke, showcased the synthesis of east and west coast rapping. It's focused and polished but, honestly, Section 80 was more about being black, while GKMC is about growing up (concious in the modern crime environment). I think TPAB dives deeper and tries to look for where those problems come from and why ultimately being black can be cause for absurd concern.
>>
>>71692203
Please tell me what you think is filler. If it's Complexion, fuck you. If you think it's the interludes, fuck you. If you think it's Hood Politics, You Ain't Gotta Lie or Alright, seriously fuck you. I've never seen an argument against other track.
>>
>>71692435
But Complexion really is a dumb song. I wouldn't call it bad or boring but it just doesn't hold up to other tracks. The message as well just makes me wonder if he ran out of ideas. Is light skinned niggas hating on dark skinned niggas such a problem it needs to be addressed? I wouldn't know
>>
>>71692435
I didn't enjoy them. I really only enjoyed u, king kunta and alright. All the others I thought were just forgettable
>>
>>71691274
>>71691285
>>71691325
>>71691354
>>71691601
>>71691680
>>71691905
all of these

people who say it rips off funk outfits like Parliament have never given two minutes to listen to funk in their entire lives

It is maybe the best produced jazz rap album ever. the way actual recorded instrumentation gives it a notch of professionality that I've hardly ever heard on a hip-hop album. Most classic jazz rap loops are funky percussion with a cool sax sample and this just goes way beyond

also, I think the lyrical content has become underrated. People like:
>>71691280
>>71691449
still think at first listen that it criticizes the establishment and white culture but he actually seems to be criticizing this exact mindset of blaming others by trying to delve into the black American experience from multiple perspectives. Kendrick has never been one to claim helplessness. He's a one in a million success story of a hood kid receiving unanimous critical acclaim.

It's got some contentious material and I think a handful of tracks are too in your face but this is a 8.5-9/10 for me. One of the best of the decade.
>>
>>71692606
Take some time with it. I wrote off a few songs but it's legimately one of those albums that asks you to come back and rewards you for it. u is my favorite song of Kendrick's so you're alright.
>>
>>71691254
8/10

Helped me understand the plight of black Americans on a few songs and feel on the rest of it. Might drop to a 7/10 but it's unlikely to go higher.
>>
File: 1469461863400.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1469461863400.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>>71692606
>Wesley's Theory, The Blacker The Berry, THIS DICK AINT FREE, Institutionalized
>Forgettable
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.