[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest talk: why the fuck does /mu/ love this album so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: CttE.jpg (825KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CttE.jpg
825KB, 1000x1000px
Honest talk: why the fuck does /mu/ love this album so much?
The lyrics are godawful, the vocals are somehow even worse, and the instrumentation basically amounts to "just play random notes in a disorganized manner and let's see what sticks."

>inb4 "hurr durr prog lyrics and vocals are always shit"
If you say this, then the probability is overwhelming that the only prog band you have ever listened to is Yes.

Honestly, I'm not even trying to start shit, I just genuinely do not see why this album is so loved and hailed as prog's greatest masterpiece.
>>
it has lots of notes
>>
they want to feel sophisticated but don't want to listen to classical or jazz
prog is pretentious wank and anything good to come out of it was in spite, not because of any "" progressive"" elements
>>
imo it's the album that reminds me the most of the intimacy of a classical chamber work.
Like the opening section with the billion notes flying at you is so bare and exposed that it feels like the music is about to fall apart; It reminds me a lot of Beethoven's Grosse Fuge, in character not content.
>>
>>71656620
the vocals are good though, even if the lyrics are bad
>>
>>71656620
>"just play random notes in a disorganized manner and let's see what sticks."
The fact that people with functioning ears can listen to Close to the Edge and still seriously say something like this is fucking baffling.

They play incredibly well defined melodies through the whole thing, what the hell is this supposed to mean, just because it's not immediately catchy or in 4/4 signature doesn't mean that it is "random notes".
>>
>>71656664
you're a fag
I listen to jazz and classical as well as Yes and a ton of other stuff....

open your mind kid, you're failing at being sophisticated.....
>>
>>71656925
>people
more like a 12yo
>>
>>71656620
Man you really want everyone else to know how much you hate this album don't you? I've seen you post with the same arguments.

I like it in the same way I like In Rainbows honestly, it's more like a colorful album with different shades and textures. The lyrics are over-the-top sure, but in the same way that Vladimir Nabokov is with his prose. It's for imagery.

I'm sure other people like it for different reasons, and that's okay. If you don't like it that's also okay. But stop saying over and over that you don't get it / it's so bad when you get the same responses to your lazy argument each time.

Yes I have listened to a million other prog rock bands besides Yes.
>>
>>71656754
They're really not, though. In fact, the vocals make the lyrics even worse, since Anderson literally just shrieks them out in that shitty helium ear-splitting voice of his like he's reading it line-by-line, zero emotion whatsoever besides alternating between "loud," "very loud," and "sort of loud."
It's the difference between Greg Lake's vocals on ItCotCK vs. ItWoP. On ItCotCK, he's truly putting his heart into the vocals, even if the lyrics don't make much sense (see: 21st Century Schizoid Man, Moonchild, The Court of the Crimson King) and what results is a beautiful and emotional experience that cements ItCotCK as one of the greatest albums of On ItWoP, Lake was essentially doing it because Fripp bribed him to come back with PA equipment, so what results is that the vocals sound like Lake is just reading the lyrics off of the sheet and what results is a dull experience. Anderson sounds like the latter.
>>
>>71656620
I'm a prog fan, and really, I can't go in this album.

Every piece doesn't have an beginning, middle or end. Just a bunch random passages that don't fit or stick together.

There were some good passages here and there, but still, the whole album is just a mess that is trying to be really immersive but it doesn't.

I tried many times to get into but no it didn't worked.
>>
>>71656950
No, you're mistaken. 12 year olds love this album because they can relate to the singer.
>>
>>71656998
But In The Wake Of Poseidon is KC's best album.
>>
>>71656620
CUZ THEY WANNA BE CLOSE TO THE EdGE BITCH
>>
>>71657111
Trips confirm
>>71656998
Sorry anon, you were really close
>>
>>71656620
>protip: Drop 3 tabs of LSD and then listen to it.
>>
>>71656925
Really? MY ears aren't functioning? Apparently Bruford sloppily slamming his kit at random intervals, Squire occasionally plucking his bass, and Howe masturbating all over his guitar is a well-defined melody.
>>
>>71657208
They never play anything that sounds dissonant or cacophonous in the slightest, if you don't like how it sounds that's fair, but calling the tight instrumental interplay that they show through the entire album "random notes" is just not true. The rhythm section is really focused for the entirety of the song while the main melodies are carried by the guitar and keyboards.
>>
>>71657277
And the vocals, forgot to mention those.
>>
>>71657111
It's good, but certainly not because of the vocals.
>>
>>71656998
>They're really not, though

autism
>>
>>71656620
your taste is abysmal
>>
>>71657106
I love Anderson's voice but this made me laugh.
>>
>>71657075
This is so true.
The fact that literally every single song on the album just fades out and doesn't really have a proper ending at all should tell you something about it.
>>
>>71657075
>>71659448
Wtf are you talking about?

The title track comes full circle through the whole 18 minutes and has a technical climax before it fades out. And You And I doesn't even fade out.

>I'm a prog fan
Does this just mean "I like King Crimson" now?

>literally every single song
>all three of them

Wait, surely I am being baited hard. I probably won't ever recover from this.
>>
>>71659556
>And You and I doesn't fade out
But it does??? Even if it didn't (it does), that's still 2/3.
>hurr durr everyone who dislikes this bloated cacophonous meaningless album full of nonsensical lyrics and cancerous vocals is not le true prog fan
>>
>>71659592
No, it's because Close to the Edge is one of the most entry level prog albums out there. I have a hard time believing that anyone calling this too cacophonous, nonsensical, and masturbatory wouldn't say the same exact thing about every other prog album to an even greater extent.
>>
>>71659680
Jethro Tull is not cacophonous, nonsensical, or masturbatory. Genesis is not cacophonous, nonsensical, or masturbatory. ELP is not cacophonous or nonsensical, and it's not really as masturbatory as memes make it out to be. King Crimson is not cacophonous, nonsensical, or masturbatory. Frank Zappa is not cacophonous, nonsensical, or masturbatory. Yes is all of those.
>>
>>71659756
Okay surely you must be baiting because those are the other completely surface entry level prog giants, the only one you left out was Pink Floyd.

It's like you went on Google and typed in "what is prog rock"
>>
>>71659778
Well obviously, I'm not going to go into specifics with Henry Cow, Soft Machine, Comus, etc. I'm literally just stating that "hurr durr all prog bands are bloated masturbation" is a shitty outdated meme and that the idea that every other prog band in existence is just as bloated and masturbatory and cacophonous as Yes is simply false.
How is any of this even important to whatever point you're trying to make? Am I being baited?
>>
File: IMG_2845.jpg (52KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2845.jpg
52KB, 625x626px
>just play random notes in a disorganized manner and let's see what sticks."
>>
damn OP, good bait thread you got here
>>
>>71659976
>everyone who disagrees is baiting
Just face it. No amount of instrumental wankery can make up for gibberish lyrics and Jon "just inhaled 500 pounds of helium" Anderson's vocals.
>>
>>71657208
>Bruford sloppily slamming his kit at random intervals

Neck yourself, Brufords drums are fucking magnificent here you don't know ANYTHING about drumming. One of the more intelligent drummers to have existed and really uses his instrument as something other than a rhythm maker.
>>
>>71659756
>ELP is not cacophonous or nonsensical, and it's not really as masturbatory as memes make it out to be.

>turn on ELP song
Hmm I wonder what this song will be lik-
>*interrupted by 5 minute keyboard solo*
>>
>>71660035
>solo
Just because the guitar is swapped out for a keyboard doesn't mean every song is a keyboard solo. There's still bass, there's still drums. It's an innovative way to vary up the power trio.
>>
File: Wakeman.jpg (73KB, 489x688px) Image search: [Google]
Wakeman.jpg
73KB, 489x688px
>*Blocks your path*
>>
>>71660057
I was partially memeing I do actually like ELP but they never released a good full album. ELP was good but nothing was amazing. Tarkus was brillaint but the second half of the album was shit. Trilogy was probably their best. Brain Salad Surgery was underwhelming. WhenI first heard Karn Evil 9 I thought it was a fucking masterpiece, but on more listens, and the more I listened to classical music, I realized Emerson was a great keyboardist who wished he was a great composer, but was merely a good composer.
>>
>>71660058
Wakeman, your talents were wasted in Yes. You should have stayed as a church organist.
>>
>>71660081
Must be why he offed himself desu
>>
>>71656620
Du bist einfach nur ein behindertes Affenkind.
>>
File: love-beach-52a259396e790.jpg (818KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
love-beach-52a259396e790.jpg
818KB, 1000x1000px
>>71660081
>they never released a good full album
You were saying?
>>
>>71660138
Fuck off Hans
>>
>>71660146
How did Carl play the drums with no legs?
>>
File: 111.jpg (72KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
72KB, 639x960px
>>71660153
He had to make a little trade, but he managed.
>>
nice bait thread my dude
>the last 3 "I GET UUUP, I GET DOOOWN"
still makes my cry occasionally
>>
>>71660058
I'd just walk through the gap in his teeth.
>>
>>71660457
>six completely meaningless lyrics are enough to make him cry
lmao
>>
>>71660575
>didn't understand the lyrics

kek
>>
>>71660601
Anderson himself said that the lyrics make no sense. If you pretend that they have meaning, you are a pseud. End of story.
Face it, Close to the Edge is shit.
>>
>>71660642
>the author said there is no meaning, therefore it is impossible to draw meaning from it

idiot
>>
>>71660651
>backpedaling this hard after claiming that there was, indeed, an inherent meaning to be _understood_ (your own words) from the lyrics
dolt
>>
>>71660660
>arguing with someone who isn't even trying to argue back seriously

heh... nice try kiddo
>>
>>71660665
>seriously arguing that you aren't seriously arguing

Stick to Yes lyrics.
>>
>>71660675
>Biting harder on my bait and doesn't even realize

huh really made me think
>>
>>71660694
>taking the double-bait

really gets that noggin joggin
>>
>>71660642
You're taking total shit. If anything, JA gets rather precious when people tell him his lyrics don't mean anything.

http://yesworld.com/2012/12/jon-anderson-talks-yes-close-to-the-edge-track-by-track/

>It’s all metaphors. Simply put, ‘A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace’ – that means your higher self will eventually bring you out of your dark world.

>We’ve laid the foundation of where we’re going to go, and now we’re into the second part. This is about the relaxation of life and being close to the edge of the realization of our universal experiences. >That’s what the song is starting to explain.

>This part flows. It shows you that you have to let music guide you. It’s best to open up and not force the situation. >Everything will come to you.
>[Sings] “’Sudden cause shouldn’t take away the startled memory/ all in all, the journey takes you all the way.’ The idea is that life is an ongoing journey, and you have to enjoy it, you know?”

And on and on. Just because the lyrics didn't resonate with _you_, doesn't mean that the whole track is meaningless and everyone has been gorging on snake oil since 1972.
>>
>>71660642
>hurr the lyrics make no sense like in 80% of all songs ever
>hurr iam not able to interpret lyrics in a way so it fits my current situation/feeling and let me truly enjoy the music

grow up pleb, youll understand someday
>>
>>71660760
>>hurr the lyrics make no sense like in 80% of all songs ever
80% of all Yes songs? Correct.
>>
I GET UP
>>
>>71656927
>Replying to obvious bait
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.