[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to Oasis in America? Why didn't they come

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

What happened to Oasis in America? Why didn't they come close to the heights they reached in the UK and Europe, Japan, various South American countries, etc.?
>>
We don't like boybands
>>
Americans have good taste in music.
>>
>>71652294
They appealed to football hooligans so the UK, Europe and South America were perfect
>>
>>71652294
They didn't play the corporate game
>>
>>71652294
America couldn't handle their laddish bantz
>>
They kept quitting tours before they finished them and Liam kept on refusing to do shows.

Americans would just think they were a trainwreck that played Wonderwall. Also America were still getting over grunge and weren't that interested in how Oasis sounded.
>>
In the states, they essentially were built up as a big buzz band in '94 on alternative rock radio and MTV, briefly going Top 40 in early '95 with "Live Forever".

Then, they strike it HUGE that winter AND spring with "Wonderwall", followed up immediately by "Don't Look Back in Anger" and "Champagne Supernova" toward the end of spring and into the summer that would see their popularity and acclaim continue throughout the year.

Essentially, in late summer 1996, Oasis was huge in America. None of the bad vibes had begun yet. The music press dug the cute Beatles comparison and thought their quotes hysterical but rude and they had hits which gave them slack. Couldn't turn the radio or MTV on that summer without running into one.

Then August came and they crossed some mysterious line never to return back. Wonderwall had gone top 10 only a few months before, Champagne Supernova had just gone Top 20, and MTV was heavily covering Oasis' 250,000 attended Knebworth gigs in England.

But then Liam quit the arena leg of the US tour to go house hunting, didn't show up to sing for MTV Unplugged, when the band played "Champagne Supernova" at the MTV Music Awards, Liam was drunk and out of key and spitting beer and swearing. Then, the following month, the band just quit the rest of the American tour and abandoned the Australian Tour and nearly broke up. This started a huge swirl of negative press that would linger with Oasis forever in America. They were still massively popular (Liam would appear on the cover of Vanity Fair in early '97), but America was tiring of their antics.
>>
They're still big, just not like in the UK. I would probably hate Oasis if I was living there.
>>
>>71653414

The following summer, when "D'you Know What I Mean" came out, the hype was huge because it was a new Oasis song, but it was only in the Top 40 for a few weeks because a lot of mainstream pop/Top 40 stations wouldn't play it because it was 8 minutes long and full of loud guitars and not as immediately catchy as the previous 3 singles.

This, coupled with Be Here Now being incredibly disappointing overall and lingering resentment to the band's behavior in America the previous year, really killed momentum for Oasis. Not to mention that "alternative" was on its way out in the mainstream by this time, as 1994 - 1996 had been the peak.

Still, Be Here Now sold overall million copies in the states and Oasis managed to have another pretty popular single "Don't Go Away" at that time, though nothing compared to '96, had a concert special on MTV, and the first American leg of the tour did fairly well.

But when they returned in 1998, the tide had definitely turned against them, the venues got smaller outside of Oasis mainstays like New York and Chicago, and the singles off the Masterplan compilation did well on the alternative stations, but didn't even get touched by mainstream radio.

Come the year 2000, after the last original members of the band had quit in 1999, when Oasis tried their second comeback, "alternative rock" was even more removed from the mainstream than in was in 1997. Boybands were now the "in" thing.

This was really the last time they had any big mainstream exposure in America was the premiere of the "Go Let it Out" video coupled with a disastrous Liam interview on TRL in 2000 which pretty much solidified the nail in their coffin. Even on alternative and rock radio stations, GLIO would be their last big hit there until "Lyla" and "The Shock of the Lightning" in the second half of the decade.

Still, I saw them back in 2005 at the Tweeter Center in Boston and they sold out all 20,000 seats somehow.
>>
They were a mid-tier 90s band in the US. They still get played on the radio somewhat often. Everyone knows the name at the very least and at least 1-2 songs.
>>
>>71652294
you can ask the same thing about the prodigy
but oasis doesnt even come close to how good the prodigy is
>>
>>71653414
>>71653498
t. oasis bibliographer
>>
>>71653667
Well, I may be showing my age but I was there then for the rise and fall and beyond.
>>
Because they suck
>>
Kurt cobain could beat up their singer
>>
oasis
is
fucking
dogshit
into the boston harbor they go
>>
Ran into the same problem that The Jam, blur, Pulp, The Libertines, The Artic Monkeys, Klaxons, The Kaiser Chiefs and others have: Yanks are too dumb to understand good music
>>
>>71653724
Straight up, that's about as thorough an answer as possible.
/thread?
>>
>>71652294
Pretty sure they're performing at my school sometime soon. I had no idea they were ever popular for anything other than people making fun of "Wonderwall".
>>
>>71654666
How big is your school?
>>
In Blubberistan they're just known for Champagne Supernova and Wonderwall
>>
American here. I'd gladly accept Oasis, if the UK would be willing to take Green Day, in trade.
>>
>>71654666
Probably not because they broke up in 2009
>>
>>71655500
Not very big, few thousand people.

The "Oasis" thing was for some shitty EDM group or whatever though after I looked into it.
>>
>>71655945
High school?
>>
>>71656445
Nah. College.
>>
>>71652311
That's just wrong
>>
>>71653414
>(Liam would appear on the cover of Vanity Fair in early '97)
i might be taking oasis nerd trivia too far here, but somewhere along the line i learned that liam and patsy were only featured on the uk (and euro?) editions. elaine from seinfeld was on the american cover

honestly, with or without liam's retarded antics, i'm beginning to wonder if oasis could've been any more successful in america than they already were? i mean, there's always this "what if" narrative around oasis' american trajectory, but if in this hypothetical timeline they did the cancelled tours and still put out be here now — which, let's be real here, lacked both proper hits and the blockbuster factor of wtsmg — where could they possibly have gone? as you said, alt rock was on the way out, and while they could deliver the anthems oasis never had that weepy safe soccer mom appeal of post-pop u2 or coldplay, nor would they ever again put out a single so direct that it, like "song 2" or "bitter sweet symphony", could ignite a career and generate interest across the pond no matter how obscure or un-american you were (albeit only briefly)

your post was very interesting and informative! i wish /mu/ had more threads like these instead of arbitrarily ranking the same talking heads albums for the 13938472th time. i'd be interested to know if you have any impressions you'd like to share of radiohead's american success in '97 with ok computer, and/or the perioid around that
>>
>>71657072
Not to mention Liam's changing/declining voice. His voice during the MG sessions that America got used to is very different from the way his voice ended up by the end of 96 and into 97/98 especially live, it was clear his voice would never be like it was (though it sounds great in comparison to 00s Liam)
>>
>>71652294
they fucking suck you stupid brit
>>
>>71654428
t. nme-reading pleb
>>
>>71652364
kek
>>
Grunge was more popular.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.