[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't there more literary theory being applied to music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1472258696835.gif (61KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472258696835.gif
61KB, 650x500px
Why isn't there more literary theory being applied to music? Why are all the reviewers huge memes? Where is all the rigorous analysis and interpretation of great albums?
>>
>>71636953
Maybe because rock music is too plebian for the kinds of people that write those sorts of things. Historically I guess people don't think rock music has merit worthy of analysis.
>>
why are there no great album reviews after the album has been released for a while?
Once you have enough time to fully digest and internalize an album you should be able to write a really good essay on it if you're a good enough writer
So why isn't that being promoted more?
>>
>>71637076
Promoted in what sense?
>>
Music is the most subjective of arts. It's very difficult to analyse in a literary manner.
>>71637076
>>71637019
Culture is probably a huge part of it, yes.
>>
>>71637076
Who would read them? A few nerds from /mu/ or rym probably but people like new stuff and new reviews.
Also, the alternative music community is really fractured since everyone has different music tastes. So even with such a small audience already, something like this would only really interest fans of the type of music in question (ex shoegaze, folk, etc)
I'd love to be proven wrong on this I really do enjoy reading other's thoughts on music.
>>
>>71637152
Don't we have academia for this?
>>
>>71637166
I don't think academia gives a shit see: >>71637019
>>
>>71637236
There's a lot of stuff about rock history written by academia. I'm pretty sure it's not just a lack of interest.
>>
>>71637265
Okay, so if it's not lack of interest, why do you think we don't see academics dissect rock albums in the same way we see the analysis of something like a Beethoven symphony?
>>
>>71637329
Academics have shit taste dude. They just are sperg who like Bach
>>
>>71637329
I don't know. That's why I started the thread.
Hypothesis - most people who are passionate about music go to a music school, where it's treated more like a craft, as opposed to art/literature degrees, where you learn to dissect all the juicy stuff.

There's also the fact that many artists don't really even bother with overarching narrative, which makes approaching the text analytically difficult.
>>71637379
Nah you're retarded
>>
>>71637379
Then why don't we set up a meme academy where we analyze /mu/core with out true enlightened patrician taste?
>>
>>71636953
Because music and literature are different artforms and they have different needs. People who agonize over lyrics and ignore music are cancer.
>>
>>71636953
is this comic about jeph jerman
>>
File: 1489417936676.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1489417936676.gif
1MB, 260x260px
>>71637445
>implying the non-lyrical parts of music aren't a part of the text
>implying literary analysis can only be applied to written word
>implying lyrics aren't a big draw of some artists
>>
>>71637428
All right then we'll I disagree with your dismissal of my hypothesis. Sure, academia chronicles the evolution of rock music, and even notes why some changes in rock music may occur due to current events, but it fails to go beyond a surface level in its analysis due to a lack of interest. For the most part rock music is used more as a prop of its times rather than an art to be analyzed.
I do think there's probably something to your hypothesis as well.
>>
>>71636953
>literary theory being applied to music

because that's for books. they apply music theory to music.
>>
>>71637516
>having opinions this uneducated
>>71637502
I guess I'll become an art critic with my semiotics degree and then starve to death desu.
>>
>>71637548
>I guess I'll become an art critic with my semiotics degree and then starve to death desu.
I guess you should have done STEM that way you can know nothing about art but you can make enough money to write bullshit about music on the internet.
>>
>>71637434
Good plan
>>
I swear to god if I hear that melonhead say "lush" one more time I'm going to flip my shit.
>>
So do you want a philosophy of music analysis? Or a thematic analysis?
>>
>the tremolo picking and autistic screeching represents varg's nationalism and nordic theology
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.