[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/daily/ Shinji Sato is Like Miles Davis But Good Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 73

File: 1489613989125.jpg (83KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1489613989125.jpg
83KB, 1000x1000px
Baaaaa ba ba ba BAP BUDADADA BUDADAAAA

Sorry to make another OP with Fishmans but I thought this was the most memorable moment from last thread.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

https://plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

previous thread: >>71573081
>>
LOL that's the only good Real Estate album and people get so mad when you inform them of that
>b-bb-b-but m-m-m-muh jangle pop waaaaaaaaaaah
ahahahahahahahahahhahahhhh
>>
nat got dubs on his op and you made him delet...
>>
What's your favorite jazz performance? I like the live rendition of Long Season by Shinji and the Fishlads.
>>
an actual, probably 4/10 review comin' up. Look forward to it.

>>71599134
idrc I've never heard much of them

>>71599149
Plus his OP pic was better. I didn't though and was for real just about to delete mine.
>>
>>71598564
What was the test on?
>>
>>71599194
Analyzing the polyrhythms used in Long Season
>>
File: Shared Chart Triangle.png (3MB, 1680x1757px) Image search: [Google]
Shared Chart Triangle.png
3MB, 1680x1757px
The Search Party - Montgomery Chapel (1969)
>folk rock, christian rock

Sounds about like what you'd expect a late-60s psychedelic christian folk rock album to sound like. Totally, completely, utterly cheesy. Has a lot of really nice, more delicate moments with some impeccable guitar work nearly reminiscent of Astral Weeks-era Van Morrison, but it also tries it's hand at some more prog-influenced songwriting and technicality, and the band isn't nearly as good at this. This is when the cheesiness really comes into play, it's like a more psychedelic Moody Blues with a truly odious keyboard tone and some lyrics about Jesus. It's really quite alright, but it's so damn unsubtle and over-the-top that really only the more delicate, pastoral moments make it out unscathed.

2.5-
>>
>>71599174
are you doing a big review dump
>>
>>71599174
>Plus his OP pic was better
i'm a big fan of the classics but i will always push for more people using album cover edits for the OP pic
>>
File: pure guava.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pure guava.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
>Ween – Pure Guava

I would argue one of the least subtle albums ever. By design, unpleasing and taboo-attacking, and something that feels crafted just for me. I honestly really have a thing for albums that defy convention by using those same influences. This may seem like a broad descriptor, but it would explain why I get so much love from Magnetic Fields, Zappa (probably one of the few comparisons to Ween that actually makes a lick of sense), and TMBG (a band people incorrectly draw parallels to between Ween). None of which really have much in common with that one element. It shows a passion and genuine love from what you’re lampooning, which is something I totally admire.

I bet most people would get at least SOMETHING out of tracks like Sarah, Don’t Get 2 Close, and, of course, Push th’ Little Daises. All of which show Ween probably find more beauty in what they defy than they maybe pretend they do. I think there’s a lot of great shit here missed in what some people call the “bad” tracks here. I Play it Off Legit Show demonstrates a lot of that killer humor I really have yet to tire of: “My mom bought me a cool shirt/When I wear it I’m legit”. Apparently Deaner and Gener were off Scotchgard for the recording of this, but this track and the more special, emotional tracks give that awesome feeling of losing your bearings similar to that found on The Pod. Ace. Another example of these “missed” good moments are found on the longest track of the album (unfortunately, for most it would seem): Mourning Glory. For real one of the best tracks on here but it’s like nothing Ween’s really ventured into otherwise, so I could see why it’s unappealing to most.

part 1 of 2

>>71599194
>capital H

REALLY basic, surface level psychology. That test in particular was just on memory and language, broadly. I have a B+ in that class, which honestly is really pathetic for me, considering how easy the material is.

>>71599246
if two posts is considered a "dump" then yes.
>>
File: Potential 10s.png (2MB, 2000x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Potential 10s.png
2MB, 2000x1680px
>>71599286

I could go off reviewing what elements I like and dislike about every track, but the reason I’m writing this review is to see if I think it’s perfect, just as good as I thought, or worse. After sitting on this one for a few weeks, I think it’s fair to say it’s AMAZING, but not quite perfect. Specifically, Flies on my Dick and Loving U Thru it All are the only two tracks I find myself skipping constantly. There’s just not that much there for me with those two. They’re fine, but have no specific elements I could really praise in comparison to everything else.

This gets an O for still great, but not a 10. Wouldn’t really recommend to anyone not a huge Ween fan already. And even that is a pretty broad, unfair group that might not get out of this exactly what I do.

What should be next? I’ll probably just be doing at a slow pace I feel appropriate, but I would love to hear some feedback.
>>
File: 1489587761443.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1489587761443.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>71599156
>no reply
>>
>>71599286
>REALLY basic, surface level psychology. That test in particular was just on memory and language, broadly.
So like what, semantic networks?
>>
File: mfwdoinghomework.gif (4MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
mfwdoinghomework.gif
4MB, 320x320px
>Hungry and haven't done groceries for a few days
>open freezer
>Frozen red block of food
>looks like soup or chili
>microwave it

Long story short I ate spaghetti sauce for dinner.

Gonna rip some studying and listen to more Minimal Piano Collection volumes, got 4 more to do.
>>
>>71599304
so what is the point of this just listening to your favorites and asking yourself if they're a 10?
>>
File: Droning Trip Up Stick.png (2MB, 2604x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Droning Trip Up Stick.png
2MB, 2604x1800px
Stella Luna - Stargazer (2002)
>shoegaze, dream pop

Yep, this is certainly a shoegaze EP. It does little to offend but it does very little to engage either. I'm a big fan of its focus on the spacier textures of shoegaze, coming off like a nice mixture of Souvlaki and Lazer Guided Melodies (both albums I love in styles I'm not huge on), but Stella Luna's approach to this style isn't nearly as engaging and innovative as what was presented on these two albums. It meanders along without ever really giving the listener anything to truly latch onto. That is, until the last track, which is the EP's finest and one of the more intriguing shoegaze tracks I've heard. Its influence from space rock and post-rock adds dynamic to the band's sound that doesn't exist on the first three tracks, and it's so much damn better than these tracks that it's almost a tease. Enjoyable little EP, but a bit of a slog and the last track really overshadows everything else.

2.5-

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
>progressive rock, art rock

Another fine album from Fripp and co. The late John Wetton takes on the coveted vocalist/bassist role here, a role he'd continue on Red, my favorite KC album, and he does a damn fine job. His presence seems to kick the band into heavy metal overdrive (funny, considering his stuff with Asia), and that's no exception here, this is probably the band's heaviest release. That's not to say that it all sounds like metal (although both parts of the title track are proto-metal at its finest), the band's experiments with free improv and the more chaotic ends of free jazz are brutal, and they compliment the more traditionally heavy tracks well. Not huge on "Book of Saturday", the album's shortest track, or "The Talking Drum", which has some weird, goofy sound effects that clash horribly with everything else on the record, but I like this a lot.

3.0+
>>
>>71599310
From a study guide I made:

>Representation and Organizaiton
>Protytype theory, hierarchical models,
>Representing visual-spatial info as propositions
>forgetting curves, decay, interference, etc.
>retrievel cues
>Constructive effects in memory: works of Bartlett and Loftus
>Amnesia, agnosia, aphasia
>Competence vs. performance ins language
>structure of language: phonemes, morphemes, phrases, etc.
>Neuropsychology of language, identifying areas like Broca's area, Wernicke's area and what they do

Stuff that would be hard for people that have spent less than two minutes with the subject, maybe. I don't know many other people in that class so idk how the class is doing as a whole, but stuff seems pretty obvious to me.

>>71599356
Seeing if favorites I've accumulated while doing /daily/ (or, in a couple cases, just before) are 10/10, just as good as I thought they were when I heard them, or worse than I originally thought.

I haven't given any album on /daily/ a 10 yet, so I thought spending whole weeks/months with albums I consider favorites would help.

>>71599433
haven't listened to much KC in a while, have the urge to now.
>>
>>71599304

I listened to that Tuxedomoon album today, it's good stuff. The vocals were kind of bland but the sax and violin coupled with some minimal wave esque synth made a really cool atmosphere.

You should listen to Kazma Kazma soon, you'll probably like it
>>
>>71599433
yeah, a bridge to nowhere is a fantastic song. i'm just a sucker for space-gaze
>>
>>71599450
Sounds like a pretty good class, and surface level only in that it doesn't really require any prerequisite knowledge. I dunno how in depth you studied each of those headlines, but it covers most of what we learned in cognition class, and a bit more (language stuff we went over in developmental psychology for some reason).
>>
>>71599433
>Not huge on "Book of Saturday"
It gets a lot better when you dive into how incredible the guitar performance is on it. It's basically jsut a very subtly done Fripp guitar wank track.
>>
>>71599433

If you like Wetton era KC, the Great Deceiver live box is mandatory listening. And if you like Belew, Absent Lovers is also amazing, it's basically the definitive live takes of their New Wave era.
>>
>>71599304
Karma is not a 10 you frick. But you do have 3 of my 10's in there so I'm kind of in a pickle about shitting on your taste. Do those next and bump them to like a 6 or something please.
>>
>>71599462
Yeah, out of the ones I've been revisiting, Tuxedomoon and Satie seem the most likely to get a 10.

Tuco hates Desire with a passion for some reason, so I'm considering giving it a 10 for no reason other than to piss him off.

>>71599504
Yeah I enjoy it so far. I'm probably doing well for no reason other than I really enjoy reading into the material.
>>
>>71599549
>I'm probably doing well for no reason other than I really enjoy reading into the material.
This is the best reason possible. Are you taking more psychology classes or was this a one off?
>>
>>71599548
Idk why jazzlords hate Karma so much now. I know he a lot of ideas from A Love Supreme, but wouldn't music be better if everyone did this?

And no one knows if it's gonna be a 10 yet. Not even I :{}

>>71599563
I'm taking a full year. Pretty sure taking a year of entry-level science classes outside your major (could've also taken bio, chem, physics, etc.) is required for my degree, and I would guess in most colleges in US. Probably gonna just finish out this year of classes and then probably won't take many more. Will probably focus more on the programming/software development route.
>>
File: cat.png (24KB, 371x152px) Image search: [Google]
cat.png
24KB, 371x152px
>>71599337
>>
>>71599638
Fair. Personally I probably wouldn't have taken psych, but I'm just pretty bitter about my education right now on the whole.
>>
>>71599514
the guitar is great, i'm just not into really anything else about it.

>>71599525
i'll check em both out, thanks!
>>
>>71599671
had you the chance to do it all again, what would you take instead?
>>
>>71599738
Uh, dunno. If I could go way back I would've actually studied in high school and gotten into medicine, maybe technical physics engineer. Going back two years, maybe nursing.
>>
File: Album Chart.png (2MB, 1186x920px) Image search: [Google]
Album Chart.png
2MB, 1186x920px
>McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

I suppose this was "good" jazz "objectively" in that it's straightforward and clearly played skillfully, but nothing here grabbed me. It seemed so standard and paint-by-numbers.
I liked the tenor sax and some of the piano interludes, but other than that it is pleasant, inoffensive background noise.
It falls short of the masterful organized chaos of tropical vibes that was Sama Layuca, which got me interested in him in the first place.

>Bull of Heaven - 351: Total Bliss

I don't know why I decided to check this one out, but I guess I wanted to see if this meme band was capable of actually making something engaging. Not really, as it turns out. This is essentially a band making a poor Earth impression. Nothing to see here.

>Blind Willie Nelson - The Complete Blind Willie Nelson

Yeah I'll probably get shit for my lukewarm reception of this record seeing as how pretty much everyone adores it for whatever reason, but I don't know what I'm missing. Don't get me wrong, his voice is absolutely incredible and his lyrical hooks are instantly memorable. He gets a solid score for that alone. But that's all this is. Call me ADD but I need a little more sonic variation to chew on. I also feel like I have to be in a specific, desolate mood to appreciate it. A tad to repetitive and draining on me, and I even listened to each disc with a break in between.
>>
>>71599813
That comp is some of the most crushing, raw, emotional music ever recorded, but I wouldn't quite say it's for everyone dude. I would expect everyone to get SOMETHING from it, but not for everyone to love every song. After all, it is an hour and a half of more or less the same.

No matter how you feel, you can't not love Dark Was the Night or God Moves on the Water. Those are always the most memorable to me anyways.
>>
>>71599787
I've thought about doing nursing for a while, idk if I'd risk it with all the sketchy shit happening with healthcare in the US though. I'm enjoying what I'm doing in programming anyways, but it's pretty much at least a few hours a week by myself hunched over my laptop on some processing application.
>>
>>71599638
>Idk why jazzlords hate Karma so much now. I know he a lot of ideas from A Love Supreme, but wouldn't music be better if everyone did this?
lmao did you just assume my opinion of it so you could attack it?
Also I'm just one dude; it seems pretty universally liked so I'm not sure who you're referring to.
>jazzlord
Because I went through an exploratory period? I'm as much a 'jazzlord' as I am a proglord or a minimalismlord or a blueslord.

>>71599647
Delete this, I'm not fucking around.
>>
2MB, 2604x1800px
Deathspell Omega - Fas – Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum (2007)
>black metal

One of the more intriguing takes on black metal I've heard. It's not all good, mainly because the more aggressive tracks all kinda blend together, but it knows how to use dynamics and I love how avant-garde it gets at times. Every track sounds like it's nearly on the verge of falling apart but none of them ever do, it's controlled chaos at it's finest and I really dig it. The ambient tracks are a nice addition to the album as well. Definitely wanna look more into this band.

3.0-

>>71599813
aw, sucks that you weren't that into blind willie. totally get it how it could be draining though.
>>
>>71599891
there will still be quite a few nursing jobs in the coming years, even with Trump doing his thing (weird how that turned out you retarded trump supporters) a lot of the nursing population is "graying" and going to retire soon so new and a lot of nursing jobs will open up. This is ofc not including how most hospitals are understaffed nursing wise atm. Sure was a bitch getting into nursing school tho, and now that I'm in there's more work than I ever imagined there would be, good thing my program is accelerated and I'll have a BSN in two years :D

TL DR: you become a nurse, there will be a job waiting
>>
>>71599984
Glad you liked it to an extent. "A Chore for the Lost" is probably my favorite metal song period.
>>
>>71599965
I think you're the one assuming too much dude. I was 100% joking.

I guess you're right though. I saw a lot of "Pharaoh Sanders is FAKE African and RIPPED Coltrane" in the past couple weeks so I guess I assumed it was common consensus. Still has a 3.99 (!!) from friends though so I guess disliking it that much is probably rare anyways.

And Jazzlord is a great descriptor don't deny it.

>>71600011
you're probably right, but I'm glad I stuck with programming anyway, and I think I'd be more passionate about this subject anyway than anything health-related.

Good for you tho man. Med school sounds like a bitch for sure.
>>
>>71599965
>>71600058
just peeping one of my friends ratings after writing that post I found this: https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/vtimdon/reviews,ss.r.d
which is basically what I said anyways.

If you did one of your troll reviews in this format I wouldn't even be surprised cuz it's what I hear the most when talking about the album negatively.
>>
File: wengh.png (3MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wengh.png
3MB, 2000x2000px
>Bullshit 3 1/4
Very fun experimental psych record. Unfortunately, this threw alot at me and very little stuck.

>I Don't Remember Now / I Don't Want to Talk About It
A textbook example of minimal synth that utilizes it's limited synth palate well. Could have taken more risks, and the forced baritone vocals did't really fit.

>Under en sort sol
I wasn't too woo'ed by the melodies and song structure provided here, but fuck me does this album have a well realized and full sound. It also manages to pick up the slack on the second half, and provides a more palatable display of songwriting.
>>
My new hobby is submitting assignments and reports with capitaI i's in the pIace of Iower case L's.

>>71600108
If l was gonna write a troll review I'd talk about how it sounds like a 5-year old indian child humming to a loose rhythm section for 32 minutes being transcribed to sax, with instruction to make the timbre sound extra emotional :''''''(

In reality though, it's just an alright album, but I really don't get the acclaim. Maybe one day I'll do an actual review of it.

>>71600058
>l was 100% joking.
Oh yeah bitch well I was 105% joking.
>>
File: exploringregionswratings.jpg (398KB, 1141x715px) Image search: [Google]
exploringregionswratings.jpg
398KB, 1141x715px
>William Onyeabor - Who Is William Onyeabor?
this is a pretty sweet compilation of extremely funky, synth-fueled tracks from william onyeabor. its a nice album to get lost in the vibe of, but of course, doesn't come nearly as close to the pummeling groove of fela. nevertheless, this is still an enjoyable listen.

3.5-
>The Upsetters - Super Ape
pretty nice introduction to dub for me! i like the earthy, atmospheric vibe to the whole album. since its more of a chill out album, it didn't grip me that much. but its still a solid album that i could recommend to anyone. not too much else to say about it.

3.0+

trip im gonna relisten to public strain now
>>
>>71600260
You should also use non-breaking spaces in weird spots and use inconsistent formatting if you want to bug people. And using Cyrillic characters that look identical to the English one
>>
>>71599965
I emailed moot for a delet request; not sure why he's not responding
>>
File: fishmans are not jazz.png (2MB, 1890x830px) Image search: [Google]
fishmans are not jazz.png
2MB, 1890x830px
I can't wait to be done with this lame ass sonic youth book

>The The - Soul Mining
The The's first album is... pretty ok. it's fairly standard new wave / art pop stuff. opener is nice but everything else feels pretty normal for the genre. the songs feel way shorter than they really are, i couldn't believe the the closer was nine minutes.

>>71599433
>John Wetton takes on the coveted vocalist/bassist role
john wetton is such an amazing vocalist
im listening to a king crimson album right now and it's pretty weak but boy his vocals make it worth sitting through

Lark's Tongues is the best crimson tho, props to trip up or stick
>>
>>71599813
also I memed myself with the blind willie nelson, forgot I did that

>>71599864
Oh for sure there were a few tracks that really stuck with me: God Moves on the Water, Lord I Can't Just Keep From Crying, You'll Need Somebody On Your Bond. Everything else though. Not sure.

>>71599984
Yeah I definitely wanted to like it because I like the aesthetic, but it didn't do enough for me. Ah well.
>>
>>71600429
what did you like about the aesthetic? BWJ never struck me as an artist who was big on that sort of stuff
>>
>>71600038
ooh yeah, that was probably my favorite song on it.
>>
>>71600529
I doubt it was his intention and maybe aesthetic is the wrong word to use, but despite generally disliking singer/songwriter records, I liked how stripped bare his songs are, it pairs well with his dusty vocals and their emotional impact.
There is only a quiet guitar strumming in the background with occasional backing vocals and nothing else. It's cool to listen to it now where it seems post-apocalyptic though it came from the past.
>>
>>71600315
Stuff like that is an automatic 20% grade deduction per mistake, they don't fuck around when it comes to professionalism in Engineering.
The I thing though, is flawless.
I like to imagine the TA marking it has a keen eye and can spot a slight disturbance with the microscopic thickness increase (Il) but couldn't possibly mark it wrong for fear of looking insane.
It probably keeps them up at night.
>>
>>71600306
don't pan it! or do! just be genuine
>>
>>71600651
>Stuff like that is an automatic 20% grade deduction per mistake
fuck me

I thought I had it bad when I got reprimanded for having a page header a half-inch off.
>>
File: cyberbullying.png (390KB, 500x576px) Image search: [Google]
cyberbullying.png
390KB, 500x576px
>>71600260
this is the most jangle post ever
>>
>>71600651
What kind of engineering?

>>71600847
How, there's no pig?
>>
>>71599097
Hey Fish, I was told to come here since I wanted a high res scan of Kuchi Camp. Can you hook me up?
>>
>>71600909
*Kuchu
kms. also I mean the album art if that wasn't clear
>>
>>71600894
>mistake
Civil

>>71600847
>>71600373
:^)

>>71600705
The class average for our first assignment was like 40% lol. On one hand it's pretty dumb to lose so much for something not really related to the subject matter, but on the other the University is doing a pretty fucking good job ensuring professionalism in it's graduates, which i tend to agree with even when I get fucked by it.
>>
>>71600990
Woopers that 'mistake' is not supposed to be there, minus 20% off my 4chan score
>>
File: kuchu camp - small.jpg (1MB, 3701x3735px) Image search: [Google]
kuchu camp - small.jpg
1MB, 3701x3735px
>>71600909
>>71600927
I gotchu

rest of the scans can be found here:
https://mega.nz/#F!LYUnEAaL!p-ZXyKC_7GkMbriy70XHPA
>>
>>71601005
>Everyone in the pic looks high as fuck because they're high in the air

Damn...
>>
>>71601005
thanks man, I love you. keep on keepin' on
>>
File: vaporwavechart.png (3MB, 2244x1372px) Image search: [Google]
vaporwavechart.png
3MB, 2244x1372px
Who else hype for the vaporwave chart?

Inspired from my newly found love: Chuck Person
>>
>>71599134
I prefer the s/t. One of my favourite records of the last 10 years.
Days is great too.

But yeah, the last record (and these new singles) mostly suck ass.
>>
>>71601229
there are only 4-5 really worthwhile albums on there desu.
>>
>>71601229
spoiler: disappointment
>>
As I was saying, Long Season at its peak was as good as any top class jazz composition, obviously you can compare some details such as the improvisation and complexity can't we. Its even more surprising considering Fishmans wanted and really loved being a DUB band. . . really guys, just stop and think about it
>>
>>71601229
>>71601313
if the biggest fucking vaporwave post internet nerd on daily is saying this then boy you are in for a really bad chart
>>
>>71601313
what vaporwave do u like then
>>
File: thinking.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>71601586
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (88KB, 800x458px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
88KB, 800x458px
is this that trip thread everybodies been talking about

Is Fishmans any good? Been meaning to listen to the one with the three dudes in the air but I've been putting it off
>>
>>71601644
they're pretty bad for a jazz band but they're pretty alright for a dub band
>>
>>71601644
You'll either fall in love with them or be confused as to why they're so popular
>>
>>71601644
they're not as good as j cole let's put it this way
>>
>>71601670
I'm not in love with them but I get why they're popular
I guess I'm in the minority
>>
What would be good entry point? Thanks.

>>71601708
Fag
>>
Drunkposting time boiiiiis

I got to listen to some straight up og Blind Willie Johnson, lemon Jefferson, and blind boy fuller 78's tonight. Was p good
>>
>>71599549
no
>>
>>71601586
Also I might say here than I'm going to prepare another...uh...review for otokotachi no wakare.

The reason is because I wanted to make things more clear and more detailed, and since i wrte that one in like half hour i decided to give it a better spin

Thinking about preparing maybe 2000 characters for song. That wouldn't be a bad idea. Again not sure because i'm not really a regular here
>>
vaporwave more like trash
>>
>>71601644
>>71601586
>>71600909
fuck this general
>>
>>71601832
no u
>>
>>71601832
With the amount of Fishmans talk here, a containment /fish/ general wouldn't be a bad idea.
>>
>>71601586
there's no point in making that comparison tho that's what's up
>>
>>71601864
>>/jazz/
>>
>>71601608
tru
>>71601635
macplus and far side virtual (though not really vaporwave) are pretty essential. mediafired and dds are good too.
these albums are also pretty essential:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/siddiq/arnecia-hawkins/
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eric-taxxon/endless/
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/disconscious/hologram_plaza/
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/infinity_frequencies/computer_decay/
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/trance_biz/sunless/
>>
File: Fishmans flowchart.jpg (1MB, 1920x1579px) Image search: [Google]
Fishmans flowchart.jpg
1MB, 1920x1579px
Fishmans are illegal for the rest of the thread starting here. I originally joined /daily/ to escape Fishmans/Jason Aldean posting so maybe it's time to bring that back if things get out of hand again.

>>71601586
okay as arguably the biggest Fishmans fan in the western world I hope this is a troll.

>improvisation
??? Uh...some different variations are in the live performance. Maybe you could argue the drums are improvisational at parts, but it's certainly not jazz level.

>complexity
Long Season is amazing, but it's stupidly simple in it's themeing, structure, and note choice. Not even in comparison to jazz. More complex pop music has been made for the longest time. You ever heard Pet Sounds?

>>71601754
please do not

>>71601864
It would be cancer and 90% U GUYZ TOKE IT WHILE LISTEN TO SHINJI AND CRY?? so no.

>>71601832
the one guy just wanted a pic idk what your beef

>>71601644
yes but terrible timing

>>71601733
pic

>>71601737
don't tempt me. I've never given a good review out of spite but it might be my first.
>>
>>71602081
Fishmans more like meme
>>
>>71602111
you're not wrong bud
>>
>>71602081
That was definitely sdc you were responding to
>>
File: 1486605834808.gif (98KB, 460x405px) Image search: [Google]
1486605834808.gif
98KB, 460x405px
are we still doing that read-along thing?
>>
>>71602111
fishmans more like suk my dik mans lmao
>>
We need another music meme instead.

How about the true meme that the only good song on Pass the Distance is Jerusalem.

>>71602152
If it was sdc where's the sicilian boys/keneth anger pic huh??

no but for real I know. I just don't want people to be annoyed by the pure sight of them because of tasteful shitposting. It happened plenty last year already.

>>71602175
I'd be down, but I'm gonna be really busy for the next half a month.

>>71602181
new order? more like poo order lololol
>>
>>71601832
are we the only sane ones left
>>
http://thequietus.com/articles/22002-listen-new-horse-lords
This is stupid. It's a hip cover of a Julius Eastman composition.
>>
File: Jason-Aldean-ready-for-babies.png (239KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
Jason-Aldean-ready-for-babies.png
239KB, 630x420px
Driving trucks
Small house near a farm
Sippin Jack Daniels with my pal Dave
Are things Shinji Sato can't have in his grave
>>
>>71602152
which one
>>
>>71602227
>It's a hip cover of a Julius Eastman composition.
Basically all of Minimalism post-1980 but that's none of my bizniz :^)
>>
>>71602223
>How about the true meme that the only good song on Pass the Distance is Jerusalem.
i feel personally attacked how can anyone think this
jerusalem isn't even the best song on pass the distance
>>
>>71602238
all of them
>>
>>71602248
B^0
>>
>>71602223
>>71602223
>How about the true meme that the only good song on Pass the Distance is Jerusalem.
how wrong can one man be
the true meme is thinking Jerusalem is the best song off of that album

> more like poo order
now you've gone too far u FUCK
>>
Joy Division more like shit
>>
>>71602235
YES
https://soundcloud.com/fishmans-aldean/tsoefacjtmbw
I never HATED Aldean posting I just thought it got old last year and suppressed how funny I thought it was. Fortunately it died down and is now allowed to be funny again.

>>71602248
>>71602255
isn't everyone but me and tuco actually sdc?

>>71602246
>>71602263
haters in denial
>>
>>71602039
which one should i remove to add in this?

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/trance_biz/sunless/
>>
File: 1484932257899.jpg (4KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
1484932257899.jpg
4KB, 246x205px
>tfw my slsk download of a long-ass LRD album disconnected
>tfw i'm in the middle of listening to it

inb4 "Les Rallizes Denudes more like shit"
>>
>>71602353
>isn't everyone but me and tuco actually sdc?
Tuco is the only one who's definitely real because nobody would pretend to be Australian even in jest.

>>71602308
Stop posting.
>>
>>71602380
what album?
>>
>>71602380
Take it as a sign that you should stop listening to lrd

>>71602263
What's the best song on pass the distance, then?
>>
Les Rallizes Denudes more like shit xD
>>
>>71602380
>>71602385
yeah that ____ more like ____ is one of the least funny semi-recent /daily/ memes and has never really been funny other than to the one person that posts it (dogevillage).

">cumblogs", however, is the funniest thing ever.

>>71602429
stop

>>71602427
Jerusalem, the good one.
>>
File: rallizes-futch.png (1MB, 1706x1170px) Image search: [Google]
rallizes-futch.png
1MB, 1706x1170px
funny, my friend made this the other day. She's a fan of those "femme -> futch -> butch" memes on tumblr. thought you all would appreciate.
>>
>>71602368
hke's s/t
>>
>>71602449
Girls listen to LRD?

>>71602442
">cumblogs" imo one of the best daily memes in recent memory
>>
>>71602487
>Girls listen to LRD?
yeah, girls like YOUR DAD'S MISTRESS.

HA!
>>
The Ziggurat more like The Shiggurat
Lil Ugly Mane more like Lil Ugly Music
Keiji Haino more like Keiji Byeno
Daikanjyo more Daikanjdon't
Can more like Can't
Grazhdanskaya Oborona more like Grazhdanskaya Noborona
Simon Finn more like Simon Finnishalready
Les Rallizes Denudes more like Les Rallizes Dememes
Robert Ashley more like Robert Trashley
Voices of North American Owls more like Not Music
Dead - Musical Abortions more like Dead Meme
Sondre Leche more like Sondre Lethargic
Sun Kil Moon more like Marky Mark and the Panera Brunch
This Heat more lime This Is Shiet
Women more like Womemes
Khana Rung Thawi more Gotta Run Sorry
>>
>>71602510
le
>>
>>71602392
Yodo-Go-A-Go-Go

everything is fine now

>>71602427
>.>

>>71602449
I'd argue that LRD's rendition of "Field of Artificial Flowers" on "High or Die" is some of the hardest shit they've put on record.
>>
>>71602449
nice.

I thought of doing this with the "/daily/ essentials" but I didn't think anyone would like/get it, so I didn't think it was worth the time.

>>71602487
it get funnier every time I swear.

I might be hosting a radio show soon, and if people don't reply with >cumblogs I'm gonna be deeply disapointed.

>>71602497
bro.

>>71602510
>Can more like Can't
only good one here

>Sun Kil Moon more like Marky Mark and the Panera Brunch
nevermind
>>
>>71601894
to highlight the quality of the performers

>>71602081
Look, I didn't say the entire song was on par with complexity of a jazz piece, only the "peak", surely you know the meaning of the terms and I admire that...

Please i'm sleepy now...goodbye, maybe until someday else...just wanted you all to know that i'll try to review the album soon
>>
>>71602568
What are some of your favourite jazz albums?
>>
>>71602524
Oh, I have that in FLAC
>>
>>71602427
Hiawatha duh
>>
File: 2059720.jpg (27KB, 395x554px) Image search: [Google]
2059720.jpg
27KB, 395x554px
p good
>>
File: 1487031160361.jpg (17KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1487031160361.jpg
17KB, 480x336px
>>71602175
I'm sitting here giggling like an idiot at that chicken

>>71602510
>Can more like Can't
>Khana Rung Thawi more like Gotta Run Sorry
>>
>>71602606
snuff jazz that kenny g one and no time to chill by scooter
>>
>>71602881
how high are you
>>
File: erWTE.png (73KB, 182x209px) Image search: [Google]
erWTE.png
73KB, 182x209px
>>71602881
yes some birds are funny when they wiggle
>>
>>71602568
satisfying pop conclusion /= to complex jazz song-writing

Just because there's a big "a-ha!" moment at the end doesn't mean it's complex. Well-written, arguably, but your terminology is just wrong.

The only slightly complex part about Long Season is the drum improvisation on the live version, which while Motegi's chops are pretty incredible, they're trumped by plenty jazz greats from half a century earlier like Art Blakey or Max Roach.

>>71602606
Long Season, didn't you're hear the guy?
>>
>>71602524
>"Field of Artificial Flowers"

I meant "Strung Out Deeper Than The Night". My copy has it tagged wrong.
>>
File: backlog.jpg (276KB, 1060x782px) Image search: [Google]
backlog.jpg
276KB, 1060x782px
listened to lots of sad bastard music today, feelin good.
>Women - Public Strain
im glad i relistened to this. theres so much detail in each song that i dont remember from the first time i listened. the whole album sounds so is so noisy and desolate.

3.5+ (thx trip)
>Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi del presente
the first and last track on this are absolutely gorgeous. just like public strain this album sounded super empty. in a good way of course.

>Cap'n Jazz - Analphabetapolothology
im very familiar with the burritos, inspiration part of this album, but all the other tracks are just as great. this is probably emo at its most fun. it still plays with yr feels, but at least you can have fun with in the midst of it. every track is filled with energetic guitars, crisp drums, and screeching vocals and peculiar lyrics. plus, theres even a kick-ass cover of "take me on" and "winter wonderland" on here! if you can take the 100 minutes, this is very worth the listen.

4.0+

capn jazz was pretty taxing tho. no idea how im gonna manage all 200 minutes of destroy all monsters.
>>
>>71603323
by skipping that trash album or listening to it in three sittings but really though skip it
>>
>>71602175
guys this bird is killing me
>>
File: daily3.png (3MB, 1536x997px) Image search: [Google]
daily3.png
3MB, 1536x997px
>Little Kid - Logic Songs

Usually I'm really picky with indie shit, however I really liked this. It was very lo-fi, comfy, pretty, and sleepy; it felt like something you'd listen to during a rainy day. I loved the piano in it (which I wish there was more of), and the vocals were pretty good all around too.

4/5
>ၼၢင်းၼၢင်း [Nang Nang] - လက်ရေးစဉ် ဝေားများ (Le Ywei Sin Tei Mya)

I liked the whole psychedelic garage rock sound to it, the fuzziness of the guitars and everything was pretty great. However, I think the vocals need to grow on me, I wasn't a huge fan of them. At most, they added to the atmosphere. Also, most every track sounded the same, there weren't any that stuck out to me at all. Regardless, this was good.

3.5/5
>>
File: March.png (2MB, 3386x2604px) Image search: [Google]
March.png
2MB, 3386x2604px
Whew, this chart is still goin strong.

[1/2]

Tomita - The Planets
>Progressive Electronic, Romanticism

The third installment of Tomita’s classical interpretations, I’d probably rank this right in the middle. Exhibition was alright, with a lot of clunky early synth work holding back some great moments. This is a little closer to Snowflakes in quality, with a lot of the floating, majestic synth work that I have come to expect. I think when this guy opts to use lighter sounding synths, as opposed to the old-school metallic stuff, it really benefits his music. I guess the space theme and composition probably helped here as well.

Not as consistent as I’d hoped but the standout moments ensured this was a pretty great listen.

3.5/5

Manuel Gottsching - E2-E4
>Progressive Electronic, Minimalism

This is about the fourth or fifth album I’ve reviewed heard in minimalism and I’m still not into it. The concept is cool - there’s pretty limited musical development over the course of the album, with the changes happening realllly slowly. It takes about 3 or 4 tracks for the music to change, as they’re essentially the same track for about 20+ minutes. Even when the guitars come in on those tracks, they’re the only real musical development that occurs over the first half of this album. The rest is still slow, with guitar riffs gradually changing over time.

I guess that’s a cool concept and it’s part of the point. And this style in the 80s in a more electronic element was definitely intriguing. But in the end, this isn’t a style of music that has clicked with me, despite a few tries. Good for the background while I was working on some writing though.

2/5
>>
>>71604457
[2/2]

James Brown - Black Caesar
>Funk, Film Soundtrack

I’ve only heard a few of his big albums but I’ve yet to find anything disappointing. Probably because I’ve discovered his most popular albums but still, they’re all so damn quality. Basically every track is fantastic and even the weak stuff is at least enjoyable. I’m never quite sure how to judge soundtracks, especially for movies I’ve never heard but this is up there. The funk is real on here, with a nice mix of instrumentals, upbeat vocal cuts and more mellow interludes. Pretty much to be expected from this genre and era. Even when Brown sits back and lets someone take over the vocals (“Mama Feelgood”), the beats are so irresistible and funky. Man those squealing horns are the coolest.

Also - every time I listen to James Brown, I stumble upon a cool sample. I guess it’s bound to happen when you’re one of the most recorded, successful funk artists in history but still. It’s pretty astounding. “The Boss” is sampled pretty well in Nas’ “Get Down”, which is one of his best songs and probably the best use of a Brown sample I’ve found. The Brown song itself is really fun, with a nice horn line and some cool flutes but I can’t help but revisit the Nas track after hearing it. “The Boss” is probably the best track on Black Caesar though, it’s fantastic.

Anyway, this is great.

3.5/5

Where to next guys? I may actually finish this chart within a month
>>
2MB, 2604x1800px
rapid fire

Julian Casablancas + The Voidz - Tyranny (2014)
>synth punk, neo-psychedelia

A welcome change for Casablancas, but far too derivative of the works that inspired it and definitely light in the songwriting department. The only real keepers from here are the singles, "Human Sadness" and "Where No Eagles Fly", and while these tracks are great, they're surrounded by some very light. fluffy tracks that favor a cool aesthetic over any real interesting songwriting, which makes the album feel incredibly bloated and bogged-down. It's alright but I'm not a big fan.

2.0+

フィッシュマンズ - 空中キャンプ (Kūchū Camp) (1996)
>dream pop

Probably the most effortlessly listenable of Fishmans output. It has absolutely no prog leanings at all, and while that may mean the compositions are a bit light, they're just so nice to listen to. Given that this was the first real dream pop album they put out after their years spent as a pure dub/reggae group, it's still got heavy shades of dub, and while they don't do pure dub as well as dream pop/neo-psychedelia, the dub influences on the dreamy tracks are great. This might be my favorite Fishmans release besides Otokotachi no Wakare, even over Long Season.

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)
>traditional doom metal

This is basically the shit. Totally overblown and melodramatic, occasionally to its own detriment, but appropriately doomy and just really fun. The vocalist is killer, he's like King Diamond but much heavier on the self-loathing than the nihilism, and the riffs are pretty much the best riffs ever put to record. If you like doom at all, you owe it to yourself to give this a listen.

3.0+
>>
>>71604551
Jeez, this chart is amazing. Monk, Swirlies, Andrew Hill, KC...

Curious to see what you think of The Holy Bible, I feel like it'd be right up my alley. It's been recommended to me like 3 different times, I've just never gotten around to it lol
>>
>>71604599
I'm probably gonna do the Holy Bible next, it's been on my to do list forever
>>
Someone give me a less than 20 minute ep to listen to
>>
>>71604551
>The vocalist is killer
oh man just wait til you hear messiah, he's a goofball
>>
>>71604551
woah someone else who likes fishmans no wai

and yeah I'd agree on that "most effortlessly listenable" fishmans output other than Neo Yankee's Holiday, which I'd also rec if you're up for it.

Idk how much you're into ambient but SAW II is one of the best electronic records ever made.

>>71604364
wew nang nang and logic songs love nice. Jorge soon pls <3

>>71604708
fuck your emotional bullshit ?
>>
>>71604821
listening to nightfall soon, I'm hyped.

>>71604857
I'll def check out neo yankees holiday, I wanna dive a lot more into their early output. and I fucking love ambient and aphex, so yknow I'm hype.
>>
>>71604857
>wew nang nang and logic songs love nice. Jorge soon pls <3
ok :-)

also sry but fuck your emotional bullshit was ass
>>
>>71604903
after you listen to their first 4 albums, watch their 1990 live concert on youtube, it's one of the best concerts out their desu
>>
>>71604364
oh man glad you liked logic songs!

>>71604457
do tribo massahi my dude

>>71605018
u got it
>>
>>71605064
Already checking out Funkadelic but I'll do that one next!
>>
File: march-16.png (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
march-16.png
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>71599304
>>71599638
if you've not heard it, i'd strongly strongly suggest listening to Sanders' Izipho Zam before giving Karma the "big 10". incredible, incredibly underrated.
>>71604989
fuck your emotional bullshit is indeed ass. i will never in my life understand the appeal of that ep.

i made a chart that's way too big for the few albums i've listened to this month. any and all recs warmly welcomed and maybe even listened to.
>>
File: 1415871644133.jpg (112KB, 735x844px) Image search: [Google]
1415871644133.jpg
112KB, 735x844px
>>71605207
akko a good
>>
File: sleepy akko.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sleepy akko.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>71605251
sucy ain't too bad herself
>>
File: March.png (2MB, 3386x2604px) Image search: [Google]
March.png
2MB, 3386x2604px
[1/2]

Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove
>P-Funk, Psychedelic Funk

How can you NOT like this album? Man, it has so much soul. Also, the more I listen, the more I’m convinced that George Clinton is one of the best musicians of the 70s. I mean, he has three other classics with Funkadelic, and at least two with Parliament from what I’ve heard so far. His brand of funk is so much better and more original than any of the others I’ve heard. It feels like a brilliant middle ground between heavier, rawer psychedelic funk and lighthearted disco.

From what I’ve read, this album is a reunion of Funkadelic, in the midst of a period when Clinton & co had shifted their focus more to the Parliament side of things. This feels like a slight change of pace, away from a rockier, cohesive Maggot Brain to a little more soul. The basslines are bouncier, the instrumentals are all over the place and psychedelic but the vocals and lyrics are a little more refined. The tracks are still a bit wonky though, with titles like “Groovallegiance” and “Lunchmeataphobia (Think, It Ain’t Legal Yet!)” dominating the listing.

Instrumentally, this is pretty damn impressive. It feels funky and surprisingly mellow, with these huge jam sessions orchestrated perfectly. On “Groovallegiance”, there’s a nice little jam toward the end, with synths, a Spanish sounding guitar and of course the magnificent damn bassline. It honestly sounds a lot like a chiller Santana cut, with a bit of a jazzy, jam-based flair. Even the rockier tracks like “Who Says A Funk Band Can’t Rock!” are fairly low-key, with the heaviest passages coming from the psychedelic guitar, which shines on some dope solos. It gets a bit too 70s rock for my tastes at times but as a whole, it’s an impressive showing from these guys. The closing instrumental is remarkable, it’s a shame something so impressive is labeled “PE Squad/ Doo Doo Chasers”. I guess that’s the downside to Clinton & co.
>>
>>71605377
[2/2]

Overall, this is amazing. Seems like a great return to form for a band in the midst of a bit of a downturn. I think the biggest criticism of this album is that it’s cheesy or dated. I personally don’t find it very dated and the whole cheesy aspect is kind of whatever to me. It’s musically impressive and the positivity of this album and genre as a whole more than makes up for it.

4/5

Tribo Massahi coming up next.
>>
>>71605377
>Uncle Meat only a 3
don't hurt me like this
>>
>>71602510
I'm just glad Sondre Lerche got included
>>
>>71604989
do you not like emo? Then yeah probably. It was just the first thing that came to mind.

>>71605207
do you not like emo? Also yeah I will.
>>
>>71605651
nah, i love a good number of emo releases, but fyeb (and snowing in general) have never struck me as particularly interesting or worthy of much praise
>>
fuck your emotional bullshit is fun but I have always been a sucker for mathy noodling and it's a nostalgia thing for sure

I think it's silly, but I enjoy the shit out of it unironically
>>
>>71605722
i admit i was being hyperbolic when i said it was ass, but i feel like Algernon Cadwallader, Cap'n Jazz, Brave Little Abacus all do it better. it's not a bad release imo, just an overrated one
>>
>Listening to Midwest Emo
>Doesn't even live in a fly-over state
K I L L Y O U R S E L F

>>71605713
I think it has a lot of quick, high-energy hits, raw emotion/passion, and every song has its own unique flair to it. I also have never seem to mind "whiny vocals" that's found in a lot of similar releases, but I could see why it'd be annoying to someone else.

Again not trying to change your mind or anything. After all, it's definitely not someone I could see more than half of the people on /daily/ enjoying at all, I'm just saying what I like about it.

>>71605722
same.

>>71605761
Love Cap'n Jazz and BLA, but AC is super medicore imo.

I don't care for any snowing release outside of FYEB, so to an extent I agree they're overrated.
>>
>>71605446
Yeah, there's some cool stuff on that record but it honestly just wasn't for me. I got shit for saying it earlier but it felt like it was too eccentric and out there for my tastes
>>
>>71605761
Oh it's absolutely not great and overrated, I agree.

I ought to check out Cap'n Jazz and maybe revisit Brave Little Abacus. I remember not liking the vocals, but it has been years now.
>>
>>71605794
>K I L L Y O U R S E L F
teebeeaitch pittsburgh is the real place that's popping off for emo nowadays
>>
>>71605805
i understand, especially given that my enjoyment of it is largely circumstantial (first listened last summer, splendid weather, other positive factors). i'm also a fan of some more noodly jazz stuff and trout mask replica, so uncle meat is right up my alley.

what do you think of other zappa relases? i've only heard freak out and was none too impressed.

>>71605794
yeah i see the appeal on a surface level but none of the hooks have really hit me. have you heard AC's ep "Fun"? better than their full-length work imo.

>>71605853
you ought to check out cap'n jazz indeed. took me a while to get into, but their lp with the ridiculous name is splendid. brave little abacus' vox are admittedly shaky (still love em), but they wrote some great shit. samples and synth work are a much needed break from the norm as well

>>71605872
so is pitt the jangly-wangly spot with philly being where all the lo-fi sad man indie is? ignorant virginian asking
>>
>>71605927
Listened to a couple tracks from both bands. I really liked the keys on brave little abacus, those were a nice touch. The vocals are as I remember but don't bother me as much. I'm pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>71605927
>ignorant virginian asking
slightly less ignorant Virginian responding
Pitt is a lot of screamo/hardcore crossover stuff as far as I can tell. A lot of my friends are in screamo/emo bands and they love going up to pittsburgh, motherfuckers will two-step to anything up there.

Idk too much about philly, it's a pretty wild scene from what I've heard.

I think VA has got more twinkly stuff than pennsylvania t b h

what part of VA you from btw?
>>
>>71606030
glad you liked em. not sure what tracks you listened to, but imo definitely start with masked dancers album-wise

>>71606058
frederick county, home/birthplace or something of Patsy Cline and approximately no one else worth mentioning. will be relocating to fairfax come autumn for uni. what about you? supposing it has to be somewhere toward the north if your pals take frequent trips to pitt.

totally oblivious to the state's scene, what twinkly stuff do we have? i know we had city of caterpillar and pg99 get fairly big at the turn of the century, but that's more screamo/post-hardcore
>>
>>71605927
Yeah, I'm not typically into too experimental stuff... though I occasionally find something I dig that's a bit out there. So it makes sense that Uncle Meat didn't resonate with me too much.

That's funny though, I love Freak Out, it's definitely one of my favorite albums at this point. Took some time to grow on me though, I hated it at first. Hot Rats is tight and We're in it for the Money was pretty okay in my book. That's the extent of my Zappa knowledge though
>>
File: dipset4lyfe.jpg (334KB, 772x814px) Image search: [Google]
dipset4lyfe.jpg
334KB, 772x814px
>New Your Old Droog album just came out
>New Oddisee
>New Roc Marciano
>Some of my favorite modern rappers and I had no idea

Fuck, I need to pay more attention to new music releases. I'm so out of the loop now...
>>
>>71605927
>i've only heard freak out and was none too impressed.
zappa has a HUGE variable discog. I would say try out Hot Rats for size given you didn't care for Freak Out, but I think it's important to realize how inventive Freak Out was for '66. Not that you NEED to like it or anything, but it was a concept album (one of if not THE first from the genre) a parody album (one of the first in rock, probably), a double album (the second ever), and had some of the first "progressive" music ever considering the influences and structure of the D-side songs.

Doesn't mean you HAVE to like it, but just giving some context on what I like about it.

>>71606136
aye we talkin Zappa tonight??

Yeah don't let UM turn you off from Zappa. He has so much good shit like hot rats like Waka/Jawaka, Sleep Dirt, Roxy & Elsewhere (best live album next to 98.12.28 for real). Would consider putting summa dat on your backlog man.

>>71606218
New Mount Eerie also just came out today.
>>
>>71606136
different strokes for different folks
i've been meaning to check out Hot Rats for a couple years now. guess something just irks me about anything called "jazz fusion"

>>71606231
thanks for the context, i'll keep it in mind next time i give it a listen.
>>
>>71606099
oh cool I'm actually from Fairfax, living down in Fredericksburg rn for school tho

>totally oblivious to the state's scene
my friends are really in the scene so I pick up a lot of stuff through osmosis
There's a lot of twinkly stuff coming out of the Norfolk area and Charlottsville. A lot of shoegaze/post-rock genre melding stuff as well.
the emo scene is pretty decentralized in VA but it's prolly as big as Richmond hardcore if you put it all together, it's just a lot of the bands are super unknown/little bandcamp outfits.
We get a lot of emo shows running through fred
>>
>>71606231
>we talkin Zappa tonight??

Definitely. I'm glad there's a big Zappa fan on here that can point me in the right direction because it feels like he has so much damn music out there. It seems a bit streaky so far too but that's probably because I'm not used to his style.

I'll definitely throw a few of his albums on my backlog if they're quality. Should I just check out those two/three if I dig Freak Out/Hot Rats? Like are they the closest in style?

Also

>New Mount Eerie also just came out today.

Christ, there's so much stuff I need to catch up on. Tempted to even check out the new Lupe even though he hasn't put out anything I've liked since The Cool
>>
>>71606265
It's definitely worth at least a listen to hear Zappa do fusion. Obviously might not be your favorite if you don't normally like that style. But I think it's well done and I'm typically pretty 50/50 about fusion
>>
>>71606323
yeahyeahyeah. Zappa's discog is super unapproachable intimidating. But I think he's made the most good music of any artist ever.

If you liked Freak Out I'd rec Absolutely Free or perhaps later Mothers stuff like Weasels Ripped My Flesh. Hell, every Mother's album except Crusin' With Ruben and the Jets is incredible imo.

If you want more Hot Rats I'd rec Waka/Jawaka (refered to as "Hot Rats 2" by many) and Sleep Dirt (referred to as, you guessed it, "Hot Rats 3" by many).

If you want more of the fusion/funk stuff that's not necessarily jazz-y and more rock based, I'd highly rec Roxy & Elsewhere (severely unchecked album with some of the best fusion music ever made) or perhaps Apostrophe.

Not everyone digs Zappa's "comedy" rock era, but I would say that might be searching out if you enjoy Roxy or Apostrophe.

So get more of a taste of Zappa's stuff to see where (or if) you should continue I'd rec these specifically:

>Absolutely Free
>Waka/Jawaka
>Roxy and Elsewhere

And based on what you like of those three I could guide you from there based on what aspects you like of each.

Zappa has 100+ studio albums, and about 20 of those are worth hearing for most people, so I don't think it would be worth wasting your time with EVERYTHING unless you REALLY love everything that's shown to you.
>>
>>71606484
>unapproachable intimidating
meant unapproachable AND intimidating, but you could probably figure that out ;P
>>
>>71606484
Sweet thanks for the help dude! I'll add those three along with Weasels Ripped My Flesh to my backlog.
>>
File: Tourney.jpg (654KB, 3180x2096px) Image search: [Google]
Tourney.jpg
654KB, 3180x2096px
trip up recs:
>Telstar Drugs - Telstar Drugs (2012)
Pretty enjoyable psych-influenced math rock. Not everything here works, and the lo-fi production detracts from a few songs, but there's at least one moment in each song that is absolutely beautiful. Good shit.

natkingcole recs:
>Mnemonists - Horde (1981)
This is mind-blowing for its time, and the atmosphere created with mish-mashes of various sounds is great. Those textures, man. The first several tracks were amazing, but the last (and longest) track was not my cup of tea.

Trip up and Letov move on (recs plz)! Thanks for playing, rod and nat!
>>
File: Tourney.jpg (662KB, 3180x2096px) Image search: [Google]
Tourney.jpg
662KB, 3180x2096px
forgot to add cool stuff
>>
File: soccer.jpg (62KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
soccer.jpg
62KB, 500x303px
hey what
>>
>>71606961
Ronaldo
>>
>>71606614
well yanno that's a solid album to lose to
>>
Hey /daily/.

For some dramatic reason I had this weird version of Enjoy The Silence stuck in my head that has a long drone outdo section. Cannot find it anywhere though, kinda freaks me out.

Any songs you guys lost forever and can't find?
>>
>>71608323
Heard a 2Pac/Sweet Home Alabama mashup in a skate video when I was like 16. You better believe I searched around for a while
>>
>>71606614
>>71606702
nice, glad you liked it
i rec Belong - October Language
>>
>>71608323
how are you?

and it's a weird one but there's this song in the film Stuck on You that's played for like 10 seconds but I can't find it anywhere. I think it's called Hubble by The Tigers but I can't find it anywhere, only thing I've seen is a CD on discogs that would cost me £35.

I'm not even sure I remember what it sounds like now but I'm desperate to hear it in full someday.
>>
>>71606702

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/1991-zero-album/

One of my favorite live albums
>>
>>71608323
Phogo's s/t ep
It's on YouTube but in very low quality
Can not get it literally anywhere

Dub/punk/experimental rock masterpiece
>>
>>71606614
>>71606702
>>71608531
fuck you've heard that

Lee Noble - No Becoming
>>
>>71608555
just looked for it again, still nowhere. it's a kinda dark weird guitar thing, it's not even that amazing it's just so out of place in the film i've been interested in hearing it. Happens about 1hr 15 mins into the film if anyone is a weirdo and wants to hear it.

>>71608625
got a link? my search skills aren't finding anything
>>
>>71608486
That's pretty avant
>>71608555
>>71608689
I'm ok, tired from traveling but what can you do.

Interesting bit. I usually have somebody songs from movies stuck in my head but I almost never try to find their source.
>>71608625
Maybe try contact the artists?
>>
>>71608689
>>71608770
https://youtu.be/INYeYz3VE3M

Band members used monikers and they disbanded a while ago
Can't find anything on record label
I might try and contact dude who uploaded it on YouTube tho

It's been a while since I've tried to track it down, might be worth another shot
>>
new mount eerie is good but every song is basically the same
>>
>>71606231
>I would say try out Hot Rats
Stop doing this reeeee

>>71606231
>New Mount Eerie also just came out today.
If someone gives it above a 6 I'll give it a listen.
>>
>>71609103
New Mount Eerie (2017)
>Teen Pop, Hip House
p good

7/10
>>
>>71609103
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me
>G-funk, Stochastic Music
Beats are great, production was smooth. Lyrics are a bit weird though

7/10
>>
>>71609137
>>71609343
balls
>>
>>71609103
Only way I'll listen is if someone gives it under 4/10
>>
File: A_Wilhelm_Scream_-_Ruiner.jpg (92KB, 300x263px) Image search: [Google]
A_Wilhelm_Scream_-_Ruiner.jpg
92KB, 300x263px
>>71605794
>when Midwest Indie Rock appropriated the Emo term from DC hardcore bands even tho they themselves had little to do with hardcore
>>71605761
i never got into AC especially when people told me boi they're just like Snowin'
might just have to give them more time
Snowing doesn't occupy a special position in history like CnJ or stylistically like BLA but the songwriting on their EP is just incredibly tight and memorable, they earned their status pretty much on that alone (+ clever title) and that's probably impressive
(what i described here applies >>71579512 (which turned out to not really apply to the album i was actually supposed to talk about but i posted anyways))
(unrelated but see also: pic related from a different punk subgenre)
>>
>>71609645
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
>New Jack Swing, Minimal Synth, Microtonal
It's okay

3/10
>>
>>71609645
>Only way I'll listen is if someone gives it under 4/10

>Post-Industrial, Vocal Jazz, Memphis Hip-Hop, Vaporwave

What the hell did Phil think he was doing here? This shift in style doesn't fit at all. One song, he's crooning like Sinatra, the next he's wailing over morbid NIN-like production. And the Vaporwave tracks? They're as derivative as it gets and that's really saying something. Like, did he literally put songs from Ecojams on here? Don't even get me started on the rapping either...

2/10, this shit is disgustingly bad
>>
then I park my car
then I fucc yo bitch
>>
>>71609958
Wow sounds very gay. I will listen
>>
>>71609645
>Deathcore
It's just one long breakdown wtf

1/10
>>
>>71609645
>Soul, Funk
Soul this smooth really isn't my kind of thing, where are the floorfillers?

3.5/10
>>
>>71609958
>2/10
but he wife dye
>>
>>71609958
I read this out of context and thought it was serious
>>
File: IMG_1912.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1912.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
>Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks: New York Sessions

The story goes as follows: Bob Dylan gets married, later divorced, and then writes some heartbroken songs about it. Someone close to him tells him the album would have more commercial success if it were more upbeat and radio-friendly, so he re-records half of the tracks with a full band and leaves the original takes on the cutting room floor at the last moment.

This person close to him was onto something, as Blood on the Tracks turned out to be his best-selling album in years. There are some other details in the story, like the fact that the 70's so far had represented something like a slump for Dylan--especially compared to his consistent 60's output--and that this was a return to form lyrically and musically...but how much context does one really need? These New York Sessions--the earlier, "intended" versions of the songs--eventually surfaced and fans have since debated which version of Blood on the Tracks is the true version.

Blood on the Tracks is likely the most famous breakup album of all time, and the music reflects that on some level. I've always found the distinction somewhat befuddling because it's in a subtle way. He's not quite wailing or openly longing like Clapton on Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs or maybe Fleetwood Mac on Rumours; it's all a bit more clever than that. Instead, he spins tales about being a gambler and a carpenter and a fisherman--some mixed metaphors, mind you. It's no different than on earlier albums--he's still being obtuse through this act of playing these characters--but it's clear for that it's out of some necessity to maintain composure.
>>
File: IMG_1910.jpg (28KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1910.jpg
28KB, 300x299px
>>71610517
The most jarring difference in releases may be in the opener, "Tangled Up in Blue", surely the official release's most famous track, an upbeat folk rock number whose motives are...somewhat obscure. It's fun and easy to sing along with Dylan's yelled vocals, but is this the intention? The lyrics suggest it's a tragic-romantic epic, but maybe the delivery doesn't sound so blue. It stands in stark contrast to the original New York Sessions' version, which only uses bass to back up Dylan and his acoustic guitar. It's the more immediately relatable version and the heartbreak is clear. If you can imagine, the verses are a series of zig-zagged lines ("So I drifted down to New Orleans...") before the minor chord resolve of "But all the while I was alone..." through the chorus. It's this tension between grand romantic gestures and the harsh, lonely reality of love. I'll take it one step further and say the official version is from the perspective of the former while the New York Session's from the latter.

This same pattern applies to the rest of the songs that were altered. Everything here (see: pain) is stated plainly without any hint of irony. Also notable is the difference between "You're a Big Girl Now" versions. The New York Sessions' performance does away with any tongue-in-cheekiness that may have been communicated by the official release's deceptively smooth delivery.
>>
File: IMG_1911.jpg (78KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1911.jpg
78KB, 500x598px
>>71610530
"Idiot Wind" is an interesting case. The official version has an unmistakably apocalyptic tone and his rage here has reached a point of desparation, so he's rambling about anything and everything like a preacher until--again--the vulnerability takes over in the chorus ("I can't help it if I'm lucky"). There's no point in debating whether this song is about love or the music industry, as it's rumored to be about. The message is clear: that it's all boiled down together in rage before it's only his pain that prevails. This is all translated in the original version as well, but the performance here is more subdued. I don't quite have the theory knowledge to talk about it, but this song has always seemed to me to be about this ever-escalating series of minor and seventh chords that finally reaches its boiling point by the chorus.

It's no mystery why they went with the more radio-friendly sessions of Blood on the Tracks in the end. For one, it does indeed have more variety from track-to-track than the New York Sessions, which is almost entirely acoustic. It also maintains a comfortable distance from the heartbreak rather immerses us in it like the bare tracks here. That's the appeal of the New York Sessions--that there's no mistaking Dylan's message of love, heartbreak, and disappointment in this impossibly strong group of songs.

9/10
>>
>>71610203
>Soul this smooth really isn't my kind of thing

This is basically the new /daily/ motto

>>71610448
I was really hoping someone would, so I consider this review a success
>>
File: FreeformChart March17.jpg (2MB, 2689x1720px) Image search: [Google]
FreeformChart March17.jpg
2MB, 2689x1720px
Review bump, I guess.

Livy Ekemezie - Friday Night (1983)
>disco, afro-synth, african private press

Overall not a fantastic or paradigm-shifting record. Has its moments, like "Get it Down", "Holiday Action" (as featured on Soundway's "Doing it in Lagos" compilation.), and "Classic Lover". The high points on this album are nowhere near the highs on my favorite afro-disco album, the fantastic "Only You" by Steve Monite, but damn does it get close. I'd give this 4 stars but the low points on this album, specifically "I Wan' My Bab' Back", are so spectacularly bad (and not in the "haha this reminds me of The Room" way), I can't stand them.

3/5
>>
File: R-2251385-1275027483.jpeg.jpg (72KB, 544x539px) Image search: [Google]
R-2251385-1275027483.jpeg.jpg
72KB, 544x539px
Good evening /daily/!

Did some revisiting of a song I wrote back in 2011. It's really good but the lyrics are borderline shit. Need to rewrite. Nice nostalgia rush though.

Apparently the new Jandek CDs arrived back home. That includes the remaining 2 CDs I haven't heard yet. No idea when I'll be able to go get it. Apparently it came in a box wtf.

/blog
>>
>>71611281
wtf a box why would it be in a box
>>
>>71611402
that's what I'm also interested in. Usual delivery, packaged signed by Sterling Smith and it's in a fucking box.
>>
>>71611415
where did he even get a box like wtf
>>
>>71611461
from the box shop silly, where else?
>>
>>71611486
america is so weird
>>
>>71609656
definitely necessary to read into a joke this far buddy

>>71609103
>Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
Fake jazz and unfunny spork

>>71609645
>Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
AOTYSF
>>
File: 1489347146815.png (884KB, 449x1274px) Image search: [Google]
1489347146815.png
884KB, 449x1274px
>>71611593
but that was also a meme
>>
File: 1692224.jpg (43KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
1692224.jpg
43KB, 490x490px
>Little 15 seems like the most note-worthy song of the past couple of albums and I actually really dig it
>tfw it ends on an extremely unfitting melodramatic chord
RRRRREEEEEEEEEE, etc.
>>
File: album cover.png (288KB, 478x490px) Image search: [Google]
album cover.png
288KB, 478x490px
>>71611706
>>
>>71611706
>unfitting
does that mean DM are secretly spork?
hmm, might give them another shot
>>
>>71611760
nice
>>71611765
yeah probably, that's pretty sporkish
>>
>>71611627
lolol

that Polaris album is alright, but is it really "emo"? It always struck me more as a jangle pop.

it's a meme though so whatever I guess.

also I know emo doesn't come from the midwest lol I just wanted to pretend to be offended about something for no reason.
>>
File: 20170316_141931.png (495KB, 719x731px) Image search: [Google]
20170316_141931.png
495KB, 719x731px
>>71611281
>Did some revisiting of a song I wrote back in 2011. It's really good but the lyrics are borderline shit
Share some lyrics my dog
>>
>Look up yamir on Spotify
>He has over 100 followers

Giving Bear / yamir world tour when
>>
>>71612032
hell the fuck no, not to this one. It featured a line "understand that feels will stay". I hope that is enough for you to understand how shit it was.
>>
>>71612096
>tfw the feels are staying
>>
>>71612096
Hell yeah. Love when even the grammar doesn't make sense
>>
>>71611706
Foolish dog
Never let me down again and strange love are the two best DM songs
>>
>>71612199
both were good too, but I guess the melody of Little 15 got me.
>>
>>71612246
/x/ is an underaged tumblr transplant like /co/
>>
>>71605251
>>71605342
overrated
overrated

lotte bitches
>>
>>71612096
Those feels say more about the lyrics than the rest of them could.

Btw saw your 4/5 of my new album, the official release is this saturday in case you wanna drop some cash or buy a physical copy :^) [soz 4 shilling]
>>
>>71612305
I will for sure
>>
>>71605251
>>71605342
>>71612298
>literal retard
vs
>ugly fujo
vs
>intelligent, nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor
hmm
>>
>>71612084
I dont know how i have 163 followers on spotify but my bandcamp is dry as fuck, its crazy
>>
>>71611593
You better check yourself boy before I send you a wikipedia link to prog rock.
>>
File: Anonymous-shitposters.jpg (2MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Anonymous-shitposters.jpg
2MB, 1500x1500px
bumpong with OC
>>
File: Reminiscin'-in-fishmans.jpg (3MB, 1388x1407px) Image search: [Google]
Reminiscin'-in-fishmans.jpg
3MB, 1388x1407px
bosting with old OC
>>
i'm going to listen to dj screw for the first time today
>>
File: codeine fiend.png (339KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
codeine fiend.png
339KB, 640x480px
>>71615373
shesh
pour up
>>
File: 1486345580994.jpg (21KB, 522x516px) Image search: [Google]
1486345580994.jpg
21KB, 522x516px
>>71612348
>best girl not an option
>>
File: me shitposting.png (516KB, 551x860px) Image search: [Google]
me shitposting.png
516KB, 551x860px
>>71615455
why beat around the bush posting best girls friend when you could just post best girl
>>
>>71615373
hopefully the last one too
>>
>>71605207
Are these ratings out of 10? man, rough week
>>
Terrible pace of /daily/ today plus I only got (you)'s from a post I accidentally submitted as anonymous
>>
>>71617023
maybe post about music then?
>>
>>71617023
yeah daIly has been pretty dead but it deserves to be dead
>>
>>71617074
>implying /daily/ responds to music-related posts
I also posted a long review
>>
>>71617107
good thing you're complaining then, because that's certainly better.
>>
>>71617107
that's probably because people haven't heard that album or they didn't disagree with you
>>
>>71617129
Good talk
>>
>>71617144
I'm going to fuck your wife, Ethan.
>>
File: IMG_1914.jpg (23KB, 236x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1914.jpg
23KB, 236x332px
>>71617165
Bitch
>>
>>71617205
she certainly is
>>
>>71617205
Wait, were you sdc all this time?
>>
>>71617253
we're all sdc in one way or another
>>
File: we cunt.png (1MB, 778x438px) Image search: [Google]
we cunt.png
1MB, 778x438px
>>71617253
>>
2MB, 1890x830px
>Ethyboy complains about not getting (You)s
>reply twice
>get ignored
>he instead decides to argue over stupid shit with an anon
such is daIly

>DJ Screw - All Screwed Up VoI ll
so it's just slowed down southern rap? very simple idea but executed wonderfully, some of the chopping feels a bit, "choppy", but maybe that's the point and l just don't know what chopped and screwed should sound like. I don't think he's really putting out his best material here, so l'm excited to try out more of his other mixes.

gonna listen to scion - arrange and process basic channel tracks, better be lit
>>
>>71617683
I was looking for good (you)'s. Yours were ok
>>
im never giving you a (You) again
>>
This is probably one of the best songs ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ms8A2XJY0
>>
>>71617728
cute dick bro
>>
>>71617863
This is what I was talking about, Yam
>>
File: 1489078031039.jpg (103KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1489078031039.jpg
103KB, 900x1200px
>>71617751
(You)conomics going down no one even gave me any for my hilarious pun about A Crow :(

>>71615476
you can't even talk, shut up
>>
The new Mount Eerie actually kind of reminds me of Mariama by Boubacar Traore more than any western music, similar emotive plucking, circular and repetitive flowing feeling. Not a bad thing at all.
>>
after listening to every basic channel ep and some of their side projects, i gotta say this sounds so fucking amazing. a lot of basic channel purists will get annoyed at how they might not be mixed in the best ways or that the grooves weren't as explored in this mix, but this is a kickass jam if you're into dubby techno stuff. it would probably be even better if it were more long-form, because at times it really does just feel like small snippets of BC tracks played one after the other, but since i'm not that into them i usually can't notice that well.
>>
The Dismemberment Plan is really good.
>>
>>71618358
Still haven't heard this—I keep forgetting about it—but I'll be sure to check it out sooner rather than later
>>
daily3.png
3MB, 1536x997px
>The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter

I'm generally not a huge fan of these genres. This wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either.

3/5
>Jorge Ben - A Tábua de Esmeralda

Pretty good. Once again enjoyed the tropical and happy sound of Jorge. Not as good as Fôrça bruta, but still great.

4/5
>>
>>71618423
why would you lie like that
>>
File: photo.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Just got back from O'Leary, was pretty good. Ended up in the member's balcony section because we got there before they put the signs up lol. I like how he took audience questions and seemed more open and honest about himself than other candidates, but I guess that's easy when you're not a politician. Didn't get to ask a question unfortunately because a couple monologuers decided to tell their life's story.
Funny how he related every question to his goal of 3% GDP growth though.
"How do you feel about the reduced veterans pensions?"
We can't afford it because we don't have 3% GDP growth.
"What are your positions on helping indigenous people?"
Everyone will benefit from 3% GDP growth.

Kek. Gonna finish some homeworks and listen to more piano minimalism now.
>>
File: 1439751893764.jpg (64KB, 610x553px) Image search: [Google]
1439751893764.jpg
64KB, 610x553px
Had two finals and a big project due this week but I am now

BACK

ON MY

SHIT

>Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt - A Meeting by the River
Don't know how easy it is to put the feelings this gave me into words easily. It's like...what people who really like "New Age" music describe the feelings that occur when they listen to New Age music, ya know? The drumming + reverb here are definitely consequences of that era, but man, the combination of the sitar-sounding "mohan vina" and bluesy bottleneck guitar are a match made in heaven so far. This album lasts less than 40 minutes, but it zooms by so fast I swear. Loved this.

>Jackie-O Motherfucker - Fig. 5
Really fantastic stuff. Reminds me of post-rockier elements for no other reason than length and crescendo-core-structure, but using those elements along with it's free folk/improv tendencies is a real winner for me. Any track here longer than 7 minutes was an awesome listening experience imo.

>Animal Collective - Water Curses
I really need to revisit these less-than-well-known AnCo albums, because something tells me I'd probably enjoy them more now. The opening track is probably one of my favorites by them from this era, and every subsequent track was worse, but only the last one was less than okay.

>A$AP Rocky - LiveLoveA$AP
I doubt many here would get anything about this, but if anything else, the production here is really fantastic. The chopped n' screwed + southern influences on here also a huge plus for me. If you can't stand modern rap production methods or value lyrics highly in rap, this probably isn't your thing, as Rocky doesn't makes it apparent he doesn't give a fuck (for better or for worse). Every fantastic track here is coupled with another huge stinker (ex Brand New Guy is to Acid Drip as Peso is to Get Lit).

cont
>>
File: 1446511984785.jpg (114KB, 540x430px) Image search: [Google]
1446511984785.jpg
114KB, 540x430px
>Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - Bob Dinners and Larry Noodles Present Tubby Turdner's Celebrity Avalanche
"Hey, Fish! What album you listening to and what's it called?"
Their most normal album I've heard, and it's still pretty out there. When these guys go completely off the wall I dig the shit out of it, but I found it to be a much rarer occourance here than earlier, sadly. It makes me interested enough to hear what else they have to say, but also unsure how much I'll care for it. This is the worst TFUL282 album I've heard thusfar, and it still has some killer moments.

>Loren MazzaCane Connors - Airs
OH GEE AN AMBIENT/IMPROV ALBUM THAT'S ALL (untitled) WOW.

For real though I really enjoyed it's soothing, almost uncanny atmosphere, but I just didn't get lost in it. Was a bit too minimal and seemingly untextured unlike what I usually dig in this style of music.

>Sly and The Family Stone - Stand!
A lot of awesome funk/psych elements here, and a lot more fun, catchy songwriting. The opener, "I Want to Take You Higher", and "Everyday People" in particular were great. Everything else kinda stinks though, the really mediocre "Sex Machine" clocks in at an unfortunate 13 1/2 minutes. I enjoyed this more than There's A Riot, and I KNOW these guys have a lot of good songwriting in them, but their albums have been super wishy-washy in quality so far.

>Gil Scott-Heron - Small Talk at 125th and Lenox
Who'll Pay Reparations on My Soul? and The Revolution Will Not Be Televised are, of course, fantastic pieces by themselves. But there's a lot of stuff here that has 100% less wit and flow/structure. I wanna try this guy's studio stuff for sure, but a lot of what's on here is super whack, especially "The Subject Was Faggots" holy hell.

>Lowlife - Permanent Sleep
Post-punk and Dream Pop only work if you have Elizabeth Fraser's voice, but this is probably the best it could be otherwise.

cont again
>>
>>71618423
fav track? i'm only really into girl o'clock
>>
>>71618559
i'll tell you when i finish listening to Are Terrified. the only other thing i've heard from em. like it a bunch.
>>
File: march chart.jpg (4MB, 3220x3220px) Image search: [Google]
march chart.jpg
4MB, 3220x3220px
>>71618538
>>71618557

>Area - Arbeit macht frei
Another Avant-Prog album that is sure impressive technically, but nothing that particularly strikes me. The track ratings go down as the track ratings go on, and I don't really think that's because the tracks actually get worse continuously, but because you really get tired of these guys' technical shtick really fast.

>Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction
Of his work I've heard so far, his worst other than his 2016 release. "The Sublimation Hour" and "The Bad Arts" are very good tracks, but nearly everything else falls short in one way or the other. In the end, I think of this as just slightly-above-average orchestrated indie pop in the end.

>Jerry Garcia - Garcia
Deal and Sugaree are pretty good classic rock songs imo, but I just don't really dig Garcia's songwriting style, and I've never really dug GD's approach to blues/country-rock. I plan to hear Europe '72 sometime soon and then I don't really plan to explore GD-related stuff much more

>Bill Hicks - Rant in E-Minor
I have a hard time rating comedy albums, but it's pretty conclusive what a rating should be when it's unfunny. It's not 100% terrible, and maybe your dad would like this, but definitely not for me. The musical parts were okay I suppose.

>The Specials - Specials
The first track is almost okay and then everything else is worse. Some of the instrumental break-downs are cool, and I at least admire it for not being third wave ska.

Gonna be posting my 50 Song Memoir review later most likely. If yous got a problem with that you can kiss my a**!!!

What next?
>>
>>71618573
All right, all right...you gotta do Eyehategod. You probably already know how you feel about sludge, but it doesn't get better than this.
>>
>>71618423
I think Travis Morrison was for a period a really consistently good songwriter. Shame that p4k killed his career though.

I thought I'd hate E&I going back to it because I don't really value lyrics that much in music any more. I assumed that's all I grabbed onto when I was an impressionable teen and expected to be disappointed...but it has a lot of great shit on it. One of the best pop albums of the 90s imo.

>>71618572
have you not heard E & I man? Get on that.

>>71618559
Girl O'Clock is real good. As is practically everything else on that album. The Jitters is probably the only one I haven't ever really liked.

>>71618626
I don't even hate sludge though. I like Neurosis, Godflesh, and Boris' sludge stuff, plus I liked Mastodon a lot back in the day. I just have never cared for the Melvins that's all. I look forward to it!
>>
File: 1446273432930.jpg (453KB, 2592x1680px) Image search: [Google]
1446273432930.jpg
453KB, 2592x1680px
>Confusion is Next - The Sonic Youth Story
Sonic Youth (at least the 80s version and the Jim O'Rourke version of Sonic Youth) is probably one of my favorite bands ever. They've influenced hundreds of important bands, blah blah blah. This book is pretty lame. The first seven chapters that cover the golden age of noise rock and the new york no wave scene (which features lots of cool interviews with Glenn Branca and Lydia Lunch! Worth checking out those first few chapters if you're a no wave junkie, all the big boys like DNA and James Chance are talked about here). Also getting to hear about their very first tours during the Confusion is Sex era and playing with pre-Filth Swans (AKA best Swans) was really great to read about, especially all the bits about the stupid shit Gira was into and would do on stage.

After that, the book takes a pretty big decline into obligatory circle jerking of the band. "Hey do you know (insert any indie rock / punk rock / early grunge band)? Guess what! They listened to Sonic Youth!" is probably repeated at least 20 times in the book. Black Flag, The Replacements, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Beastie Boys, Dinosaur Jr, the list goes on... "Dude big labels are bad, high-end electronic equipment is evil and will make your music uncreative, you have to use shitty four tracks and analog mixes to stray away from the norm!" Stuff like that just really pisses me off, it's so pointless and cliche. The only interesting thing worth reading about after the first seven chapters is Lee talking about different tunings and experimenting with cheap guitars, which kind of inspired me since I happen to be an owner of shitty guitars and want to make shitty music with them, so getting to learn all the tips and tricks, where to stick a drumstick in, what open tuning to use, really helps figure out those early sonic youth tracks.

1/2
>>
>>71618677
oh yeah i have. gyroscope is probably my favorite track. really solid album. i'll probably like it a lot more when i hit college. i can already feel myself slowly transitioning into liking dream pop.
>>
>>71618677
Actually, those are all good too. Ok, it doesn't get sludgier then.
>>
2MB, 1890x830px
Now I'm going to share two funny quotes from the end of the book:
"Now no one's fighting against the music that already exists--they're all wanting a piece of it. That's what's driven me away from clubs, away from live music, and away from alternative music. The only thing I listen to basically is rap--they're the only ones that are saying anything. When you get someone like 2-Pac, who is twenty two or twenty three and saying all these incredibly heavy social statements in a way that's fresh and seductive, evocative, and hard core--there's nothing like that in the white community. Spoiled white kids, who wants to hear about it"
-Lydia Lunch

"I can't ever really see us breaking up," says Ranaldo.

Two stars

>>71618557
>OH GEE AN AMBIENT/IMPROV ALBUM THAT'S ALL (untitled) WOW.
hehehe

>>71618573
>what next
songs:ohio
scriabin recital
dio
[listen to my ep on saturday it's the one year anniversary]
>>
>>71618683
>pre-Filth Swans
lololol

didjya know Gira took his daddy's money and roamed around Europe for a couple years then went back to NYC and started a band just cuz he could? Doesn't get more HARDCORE than that!!

Book seems interesting though. Might try and find a pdf of the first 7 chapters cuz I like that subject.

>>71618708
bich u might!!

>>71618728
:^*

>>71618739
will do just for you bby ;)))
>>
File: wengh.png (3MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wengh.png
3MB, 2000x2000px
I wrote some reviews for the new albums, but 4chan hiccuped and it got lost.
>>
>>71618999
At least you got some sweet TRIPS
>>
>>71618999
You can only blame 4chan ONCE for deleting your review, then it's on you for being a dum dum and not doing it in notepad.
>>
>>71618573

Kazma Kazma, if you don't like it I'm gonna ban you from the post-punk fuckboy club
>>
>>71618573
That specials score what the frick
>>
>>71620035
I agree, pretty fricked
I need to stop being surprised by fish's shitty taste tho
It's a far too common occurrence
>>
daily3.png
3MB, 1536x997px
[1/2]

>The Gerogerigegege - Hell Driver

Decided to write a legit review
--
"____________ (1992)" is just field recordings of the sounds you'd hear at a Japanese fireworks festival. People laughing and walking around, and fireworks in the distance. It feels very detached though, as if you're to the side just observing. You start to feel feelings of loneliness and envy for the people who are enjoying themselves and others. This hit too close to home, and it hurt. Who would've thought a track that is nothing more than a microphone in the middle of a festival would be so emotional?

"Hell Driver (1994)" consists of melancholic free improv piano playing, the notes sometimes sounding like they're coming from a different room or behind some wall. This is accompanied by a quiet wall of white noise. It's all lo-fi, and honestly it's very peaceful, but also quite haunting.
>>
>>71620201
[2/2]

"Moonlight & His Loser Knife (1996)" is a track of a high pitch drone oscillating, with background noises happening, such as objects being moved/ dropped and coughing. Probably the most anxious track on here. It's good, but if it was my choice I'd prefer if this track followed the lonely dark ambient theme, instead of the anxious EAI sound that it has.

"Pray Silently ~ Play for Late Mr. Hiroyuki Ohkura" starts off with two people talking to each other, which later turns into some weird improv with some guitar-like instrument. This was the weakest point on the album, solely because the audio on this only plays through one ear (yes, I checked, it's the song and not just my headphones or something). I honestly really don't like listening to something with only one side having noise; it hurts my ears and it's just uncomfortable to listen to physically. Shame too, because this track would probably be good if it weren't for that.

"Night Is Morning (1993)" is the last track, which consists of piano playing heard from inside of the piano (I think?). It's beautiful listening to all the movements and knocks.

Overall, another great album by Gero. However, in regards to their other dark ambient stuff, I prefer 燃えない灰 (Moenai Hai). Track 3 on here could've been different, and I just did not enjoy track 4 entirely. Regardless, Juntaro is a genius when it comes to creating isolating and heavy atmospheres, and you'll be sure to find that in this.
--
4/5
>>
File: music is over.png (270KB, 1032x944px) Image search: [Google]
music is over.png
270KB, 1032x944px
Needa hear that new Mt. Eerie. I doubt it'll be amazing, but will probably be the highest-rated 2017 album by far just out of context.

The highest rated album of this year is a prog metal album anyways. What a shitty year so far.

>>71619807
will do

>>71620035
>>71620108
2nd and 3rd wave ska are garbage sorry boys.
>>
File: exploringregionswratings.jpg (397KB, 1141x715px) Image search: [Google]
exploringregionswratings.jpg
397KB, 1141x715px
>Le Mystère des voix bulgares - volume 1
WOW

this may actually be some of the most beautiful music i've listened to in a while, no exaggerations. the compositions and harmonies are tight and filled with emotion, and the vocals are so pure and heavenly. this is an extremely ethereal and warm listen, i heavily recommend

4.0++/4.5-

god damn this was so good wow
>>
Also my Dad gave me his old vinyl setup from the 80s, it's nothing amazing but it's all in near mint condition. I only need to replace the cartridge and clean up dust. What meme album should I break it in with?
>>
>>71620422
kalimankou denkou is SO FUCKING GOOD
>>
well that new weezer song is

is

aaaAAAHHH
>>
I know some people hate Weezer with a firey passion. This must be what they hear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPWrIvzGgc

And I totally understand them. To think The Blue Album and Pinkerton used to be my jams half a decade ago ;___;

>>71620422
right? One of my favorite recent discoveries.

Most interested in Getz/Gilberto or Fly, Fly My Sadness opinions.

>>71620547
>From their forthcoming eleventh album, which is out later this year
whyyyyyyyy

the just came out with their best album in over a decade and it was still kinda bad.

Just end it.
>>
>>71620547
it's no Hash Pipe

the real question is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPWrIvzGgc
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmQ3QWpy1Q
who wore it better(/worse)?
>>
>>71620605
ill get to those next! ive been interested in trying huun huur tu for quite a while now

but yeah, le mystere really blew me away. i audibly said wow to myself after kalimankou denkou and when the album ended
>>
>>71620605
blue album and pinkerton are still my jams but i'm embarassed to admit that

>>71620631
the weezer song hurts more but it's honestly a slightly better song
>>
>>71620677

The title track and Mountain Story from Fly, Fly My Sadness are both certified "whoa dude" moments as well
>>
>>71618999
Really curious about the review for Haitian Folk Songs

I really really love that album. Nan Guinin is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard
>>
>>71620749
It was mostly half-assed shit I wrote. I have trouble formulating a based opinion on albums like those. It was nice folk music with some fantastic vocals.
>>
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (1994)
>alternative rock

This is a lot more hard rocking than I thought it would be, damn. It really is straight up a heavy hard rock album at points, which is a blessing and a curse. It adds a lot of anger to the music but it also makes it cross over into buttrocky Pearl Jam territory at times, and some of the songs really aren't all that great, mainly because this style isn't exactly my forte. Despite that fact, I can mostly appreciate this. The instrumental work is all pretty nice despite the major songwriting shortcomings, Edwards' lyrics are great ("4st 7lb", fuck), and Bradfield is a great vocalist, and I now really see where Laura Jane Grace gets her vocal style from. Not my thing, but a solid album with a lot to like.

2.5+

System of a Down - System of a Down (1998)
>alternative metal

These guys' singles were near and dear to me, but an album band they are not. "War?" and "Spiders" were singles, and in keeping with my admiration for the singles this band put out, I love these tracks. But the rest of the album is really nothing more than some bland chugga-chugga riffs and some incredibly over-the-top vocals from an admittedly really awesome Serj Tankian, who tries everything he can to elevate these songs beyond bland metal without going into Patton territory, but he only succeeds on a few tracks. It's entertaining, that's no lie (except when they try to mix up the songwriting and go into fucking polka territory), but it's got no meat on it's bones at all, and it's only worth listening to for a couple of really choice cuts.

2.0+

(1/2)
>>
2MB, 2604x1800px
>>71621421
(2/2)

Actress - Splazsh (2010)
>microhouse, tech house

It's impressive for an electronic album of this persuasion to bang as hard as it does, but this would be goddamn perfect for club listening. It's got a lot of the filthy, glitchy characteristics of outsider house but it has a lot of more mainstream house sensibilities, making for a really cool combination of the esoteric and the danceable that works shockingly well. Some filler tracks that do little more than set the mood without ever saying or presenting interesting bog down the experience as a whole, and it's overlong, but the best tracks here kill, and it's shockingly consistent despite it's length.

>>
File: Freeform Chart 6.png (1MB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart 6.png
1MB, 1560x720px
Modern Life Is War - Witness (2005)
>melodic hardcore, hardcore punk

Some faux-emotional shit. The vocalist tries way too hard to emote the absolute hell out of every single syllable he delivers, but he uses the same tricks on every single track, and when every single song has the same exact emotional vocal delivery, the emotion is completely lost. Instrumentally it's a bit better, but it still falls into the same faux-emotional traps, in its quieter moments and in its loudest moments. The last track is decent, but even it can't save the rest of this record.

0.5+
>>
File: Shared Chart Triangle.png (3MB, 1680x1757px) Image search: [Google]
Shared Chart Triangle.png
3MB, 1680x1757px
triangleeeee

The Edge of Daybreak - Eyes of Love (1979)
>soul

Definitely a case where the backstory of an album is more interesting than the album itself. This was recorded in a prison for $8000 on one take, with all performers being inmates. That backstory suggest something a lot more tortured and harrowing than what this album actually is, which is an incredibly upbeat, disco-fried soul album. The juxtaposition is really kind of amusing in retrospect (I had no idea about the backstory while listening to the album), but even taking the backstory out of consideration it's a pretty solid album. The grooves are pretty weak and samey and it definitely sounds like it was recorded in a prison for $8000, but the vocalists are all shockingly great and the instrumentals are at the very least totally pleasant and chill. Cool album.

2.5+
>>
>>71621421
>>71621446
>>71621500
>>71621566
somebody stop this man before theres no music left to review
>>
>>71621421
I didn't expect you to like SoaD ;P
If I had heard it for the first time now I probably wouldn't like it much either, but it's one of the few albums I liked as a kid that I can still put on every once in awhile and still enjoy it from start to finish.
>>
>>71621593
This
>>
>>71621593
pssh i can keep going

except i'm going to sleep

>>71621615
i've got those kinds of albums too! mainly by gorillaz and daft punk though.
>>
>>71620726
kinda agree even if it doesn't work with Rivers' voice at all

LP's trajectory has just been weird all the time idk man. literally every album since MtM has been kind of a shock for me at the time so i shoulda been prepared but they still managed to fuck with me
now i'm just interested in how they're gonna be reasoning that style change after that weird attempt at making riffy hard rock for the first time (grew on me tho)
or weezer for that matter, after that fucking apology album lol
but who cares and it's just gonna be "well we felt like it" anyways

>>71621615
probably feel the same about them, idk, it's just not possible to imagine whether i would/wouldn't like it now because in any scenario like that my musical taste would be radically different
>>
>>71621915
I don't even like or follow LP but yeah their trajectory is fucking bizarre. didn't they kinda do a radioheadish thing a couple albums back?
>>
>>71620422
>>71620605
hey, either of you nerds got a decent digital copy of that bulgares album?

I keep downloading ones with shit quality. I love it, but the bad quality brings my enjoyment down alot.
>>
>>71622054
you tried slsk? I got mine from there and it sounds fine.
>>
>>71622050
hmm yah a few tracks were like Radiohead with a stadium vibe (so like Coldplay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7Vfwo65NI
but the album as a whole, nah i wouldn't compare them
>>
>>71622409
>>71622409
>>71622409
c'mere ;)))
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.