[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a discussion about what it means that a highly-manufactured

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: katy-perry-drops-trippy-retro-th.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
katy-perry-drops-trippy-retro-th.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
Can we have a discussion about what it means that a highly-manufactured commercial pop artist who exists entirely to make rich and powerful people more rich and more power dropped a social revolution anthem as a major single?

Is it a candid attempt to inspire social change, or just a calculated appropriation of the trend of social activism into a product? Intention aside, do you think it will actually result in any meaningful impact on society?
>>
>>71586870
it's the fucking latter, you retard. what do you think? do you think katy perry is going to eschew the status quo and upturn the current powers that be? she's a fucking millionaire who saw that people were arguing about such-and-such on twitter. of course it's fucking marketable. poor people outnumber rich people by a significant margin, so of course it's going to fucking sell. are you new or retarded or what?
>>
'Chained to the Rythm' had no meaningfull impact because it is currently freefalling off of the Billboard Hot 100 charts.
>>
>>71586870
>Is it a candid attempt to inspire social change, or just a calculated appropriation of the trend of social activism into a product?
She genuinely is a liberal and has always been a hillary supporter. but not because she actually cares, but because she thinks she's supposed to. at least that's what i gathered from her career trajectory. the only reason the song was released was because that is the political leanings of her handlers have those political positions. also they believe it will make them more money. no impact at all besides the usual conditioning.
>>
Buying a song that calls for social revolution is the equivalent of protesting for a social revolution to most people. It's just capitalizing on another market trend.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>do you think a Katy Perry will result in any meaningful impact on society
>>
The song is a huge colossal flop

Do you even ATRL OP?
>>
File: whore.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
whore.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>71586870
no, they're producers's prostitutes and it's all just to take advantage of people, mostly young girls and grown onanist men, it's literally retarded music and usually not even the artists realize it

just listen to shake it off, the message is "lol i'm a retarded whore and i don't care about what anyone says", some people interpret it as "be yourself, doesn't matter what people say, just fuck them all", but it's that a good message? why can't they make a song about making peace with your enemies and those who criticize you? this is society today, no empathy, self-centered, this is psychopathic behaviour, seriously, read about it

but i agree with some of the lyrics, like Taylor Swift having nothing in her brain

i wish people would just think about others instead of themselves, but every piece of media teaches them otherwise since they are young
>>
>>71586870
It's her basically saying you're all sheep, while taking your money and making fun of you. Based if you ask me.
>>
>>71587194
delusional t b h
>>
>>71586908
I'm just playing devil's advocate by presenting both sides in order to get a discussion going. I mean, I've no doubt that in greenlighting it/having it ghost written for her/whatever that profiting off a trend is the intention of the people in the shadows, as it were. I do wonder if anyone in that chain though, including Katy herself, has genuine intentions. Of course any impact that a saccharin pop song with a pretty tame, played-out political message is going to be pretty insignificant, but it could still have some sort of impact, particularly given Perry's popularity. I think it's interesting to wonder at the likelihood of that.
>>
>>71587259
i think that katy perry probably actually does lean left like >>71587029 says. i don't doubt that katy perry is empathetic, etc. i just don't think she's willing to make herself uncomfortable enough to help people in any meaningful way.

>but anon, any idiot can donate 75% of their income to charity!

yes, that's true, but i EARN my 52k salary, and i CANNOT reasonably survive off of 25% of my earnings. somebody like katy perry has every reason/means to do actual, measurable good in the world, but making a pop single is not it.
>>
>>71587230
I feel sorry for you
>>
>>71587209
yeah, except she does absolutely nothing to follow the philosophy of the song. I would probably think it's "based" if she deleted all of her social media profiles before releasing the song, because that would make more sense.
but no. she's directly subverting the song's meaning by continuing to do the things she apparently hates so much she felt inspired to write a song about it.

and god damn, the video is filled with cheesy, heavy-handed symbolism. it's fucking terrible. it's like a political cartoon come to life. everything labelled and spelled out perfectly for the borderline-retarded audience.
>>
>>71587336
Does she donate that much to charity or is that just a hypothetical?
>>
Katy obtained too much creative control but she has terrible instincts for pop music (or music, ha!)

See: "Unconditionally," "Birthday," and other songs whose single pushes she would prefer you forget
>>
I'm very close with a very close friend of hers, who is similarly politically and socially minded.

People like Katy and Beyonce do have a pretty appreciable degree of control over the material they put out, so I'm thinking this is genuine.

It's also in line with, like, her entire shtick as an artist. Pretty much every big single of hers recently has been an empowerment thing, especially for young girls.
>>
>>71586870
Is pop star a feminist? Is Pepsi my friend?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.