[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else feel like they can't make music until they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1484781554532.jpg (16KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1484781554532.jpg
16KB, 240x180px
Does anyone else feel like they can't make music until they get all the 'equipment' they need first?

Obviously this is specific to genres, if I wanted to write folk songs i'd just strum on the guitar and what not. The problem is I have a 25 key midi keyboard, which is shit for writing songs, so I feel a bit stuck until I get my 61 key (which won't be too long)

Anyone else ever feel this way? Can't tell if it's loneliness or a general problem
>>
Yeah I was like that, but then realised it was just a way to procrastinate producing stuff. All you need is a midi keyboard and a laptop really, other equipment I've bought hasn't really improved or changed the way I make music fundamentally desu
>>
No
You're just creating excuses, and deep down you know it
>>
Currently recording an album with a friend of spacey, depressed, atmospheric folk songs with only an electric guitar run through some effects, a flute, our voices and a four track.

I felt the same way as you for a while but having someone else makes it easier. Also I found that less instruments means it is easier to mix and can give off a more lonely effect. If our songwriting is strong I think it could be alright I think.
>>
>>71583205
start making techno fåm
>>
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah, I really do need to start being more productive.

>>71583257
I always felt if I was with someone else it'd be easier, no dice so far, only music I wanna make is the kind of music I could probably one make alone, my music taste is pretty diverse, more so than my mates

>>71583269
All a shitty small midi keyboard is worth for really. It's borderline impossible to write actual songs (you know, with chords that stretch more than just one octave), so i'm pretty happy just to make dance tunes until I get my bigger keyboard
>>
>>71583205
Music isn't made by the instrument, it's made by the musician.
>>
>want to make noise music
>play around a bit
>think about how much better it'd be with more pedals and equipment
>spend all my time looking at stuff I want instead of actually getting something recorded

fuck
>>
>>71584365
Just make what you can for now, and when you can afford it buy the pedals and equipment, rather than waiting to get them and not making music in the meantime
>>
>>71583205
just learn to use a fucking DAW
>>
>>71583620
you dont need a midi keyboard lol. I dont even know how you would come under the impression you need one. If you want to do multiple octaves, just record a bit at a time. Or, like, use a sequencer... I made electronic stuff for 2 or 3 years owning zero equipment and spending zero money on it. Now I got a couple synths and one of them can be used as a midi keyboard but I dont even use it as that, I just send midi data from the computer to it because I dont play keyboard and dont give enough a fuck to because having to play material is a limitation on creativity that I want to avoid.

Equipment is actually a crutch for people who dont have the skills to make stuff sound good with no equipment.
>>
>>71586469
also buying synths is overrated, you dont need them to get your stuff to sound good. I rarely use them on tracks because recording them is a bit of a pain in the ass, I mostly just mess around with them instead of using them seriously. Also synths tend to be really limited in what you can get out of them vs vsts or especially something like reaktor or max/msp.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.