[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Parquet Courts/ thread My favorite band since Sunbathing Animal--when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: homepage_large.61c85a5c.jpg (94KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.61c85a5c.jpg
94KB, 319x319px
/Parquet Courts/ thread

My favorite band since Sunbathing Animal--when I discovered them; my favorite band since I discovered them. Been getting more and more heavy into Light Up Gold again and while my ranking still stands as:

1. Sunbathing Animal
2. Light up Gold
3. Human Performance
4. Content Nausea

I may have to edge up Light up Gold soon. After listening through it the first of couple times, I ended up skipping Donuts Only, Yr No Stoner, Caster of Worthless Spells, then eventually just stopped listening to the end of the album. But now having listened to it 15+ times fully through, driving up and down 95 alternatively passing and being slowed down by shitty drivers, lane changing and shouting the lyrics to Disney PT--MY GIRLS A BOWL OF HASH A FAMILIAR LOOKING RASH MY GIRLS MY SECRET STASH MY SHAMPOOED PILE OF TRASH--jamming to the scattered lyrics and minutemenlike bassline of Yr No Stoner and Yonder is Closer to the Heart, and so on etc., coming to appreciate each song. I'm a neophyte now. I wish I could better tell apart the voices on them though.

Can anybody line up the voices on each track?

Who else was mega-impressed by Human Performance? That shit really could've tanked following Content Nausea (I'm also curious about your thoughts on this, it's kinda weak in my eyes), but really blew past it. I'm not sure there's even really a weak song on Human Performance. It's hard to rank it third as it's so strong but it just doesn't have as nestled a place in my heart as the above two.
>>
File: Human_Performance_(Front_Cover).png (44KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
Human_Performance_(Front_Cover).png
44KB, 220x220px
Also anybody seen em live? I've only been once to see them in NYC and aside from the heat exhaustion I got with wearing my backpack at the front of the stage (threw up salmon in this garbage can near the bar and was hoping some bartender would extend me a glass of water but had to pay 5 spankaroonies for a bottle, cunts), but other than that it was fucking incredible, being at the center, screaming out the lyrics, rocking out to the guitars. Two dead cops really was a highlight for me in terms of that^ There was this beautiful moment where maybe it was the lack of oxygen or the heat exhaustion but yelling out the chorus to that amongst everyone else doing the same was releasing me from something.

Anyway Human Performance was the shit and I can't wait to see what they put out next. It could be the best thing they do but regardless it will be extremely solid.

And I love the 'derivative' stuff--derivative in the best way, taking the best parts of their predecessors and making it their own--like Steady on My Mind, a song that could easily be something from TVU s/t, One Man No City which makes me go back to listen to Stop Making Sense, it's /so/ much like a new Talking Heads song!!
>>
File: Sunbathinganimal.jpg (108KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
Sunbathinganimal.jpg
108KB, 608x608px
Bumping with da GOAT
>>
>music discussion
>/mu/

get the fuck out
>>
>>71578860
At Market Hotel? That was the hottest show of my life. Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>71579345
Nah it was Webster Hall. Never been to Market Hotel, how is it?
>>
this thread was completely remade after being archived

>>71572906
>>
File: obviously superior.jpg (198KB, 658x658px) Image search: [Google]
obviously superior.jpg
198KB, 658x658px
BRUH
R
U
H

PQ is my favorite band but your ranking is ALL FUCKED UP

Content Nausea = Light Up Gold > Sunbathing Animal > Tally All The Things That You Broke > Live At Third Person Records > Human Performance > American Specialties = Monastic Living

DUDE, CONTENT NAUSEA, everyday it starts, content nausea, slide machine, uncast shadow of a southern myth FUCKIN PRETTY MACHINES, SON

i definitely listen to Human Performance the least, the hooks became a little too poppy for my taste. I mean It's Gonna Happen is amazing, the breakdown in One Man No City is pretty cool, but otherwise it was all a bit too poppy

MY MAN it's good to know there's other fans
>>
Parquet Courts is fucking boring

listen to Uranium Club instead
>>
>>71579856
An equation might be more representative for my rankings.

Sunbathing Animal=Light up Gold>Human Performance>Content Nausea

I agree with you that there's some serious poppiness on HP but I dig even the poppiest (HP, Outside, Berlin Got Blurry, Keep it Even)alongside the more dissonant (Dust, I Was Just Here, Paraphrased, Two Dead Cops). They really show off their technical songwriting abilities with their poppier stuff and reinforce their old sound with the ridiculously good guitar work on the dissonant.

Content Nausea just has numerically more weak songs, it's really a numbers game than a quality thing for me. You've got three lyricless transition tracks like Urban Ease, Kevlar Walls, and No Concept, and besides that The Map and Insufferable are pretty weak. I love their cover of These Boots are Made for Walking, but, at the end of the day it's a cover.

Don't get me wrong! I love the title song, every day it starts, pretty machines, and Uncast Shadow of a Southern Myth, in fact I think Uncast Shadow might be their greatest song. It's just a numbers game for me man.

I think I listened to Tally All The... but I don't remember a single thing from it. Surprised it receives such a high ranking from you. Also don't think Live At Third Man Records deserves higher ranking than HP. I think Monastic Living is even better than HP.
>>
>>71579987
Hey dude I'm checking out their Bandcamp right now and I would say they're actually pretty boring compared to Parquet Courts. I've only listened through All of Them Naturals, is there something else you'd recommend from them?

Their lyrics are kinda weak, guitar work pretty standard, gotta say I like the rhythms though! Those are pretty tight.
>>
>>71580079
monastic living was an interesting experiment but it was just so self-indulgent, same thing with american specialties.

im my opinion their best song is a tie between uncast shadow and instant disassembly, they're both just incredible lyrical achievements.

my problem with human performance is it was just a bit too saccharine, it came out and i heard it a few times but it just wasnt what i liked about them.

in that sense i get the numbers game thing (for instance, light up gold has more total good songs than content nausea, but the good songs in content nausea blow light up gold out of the water) it's just in my opinion human performance has the LEAST good songs. i wasn't let down or anything, i enjoyed it, but just not as much.

i've never even fuckin seen them live lmao

dude tally up has you got me wonderin now and descend, the latter of which is up there in their top ten at least.
>>
>>71580119
how can you call literally anything boring when you listen to parquet goddamn courts

they're like the epitome of beige-ass pitchfork drek
>>
>>71580487
Alright, sounds like you've got nothing else of theirs to recommend.

Not super productive having to defend a band that is clearly not what you're railing against them for. "Beige-ass pitchfork drek" belongs more appropriately to musicians like Tennis, Frank Ocean, Cloud Nothings, Conor Oberst, etc.

I would recommend you check out Light up Gold! You seem unnecessarily upset
>>
>>71578275
what do you think about monastic living though?
>>
>>71580700
I've been listening to them since long before they were Pitchfork darlings. I've heard Light Up Gold. They are and always have been boring-ass brooklyn hipster chodes who think they're like, super punk! for ripping off Pavement but sounding less convinced that it's goid than the people hearing it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.