[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this awful """""obscure"""""

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: folder.jpg (291KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
291KB, 1000x1000px
Why is this awful """""obscure""""" chinese commie band praised by rym posseurs so much?
>>
It's ebin noisy wank with le Krautrock influence made by Japanese people with a backstory ripped from anime
>>
>>71575150
some of their songs are good
the ones where that trans guy doesn't sing
>>
Because it's like the same two or three songs played on hundreds of live albums over the past 40 years, so quirky
>>
it's too hard to fucking hear

i have no idea why people act like they like it
>>
I like their music. When I was a teen, I felt edgy for liking them - now it's almost a guilty pleasure, but I do like it
>>
>>71575610
that's the opposite of quirky m8, that's 2cool4school or more like, 2cool4goodmusicalcontent
>>
Also they're all communists, and the bassist hijacked a plane to defect to North Korea
>>
>>71575632
Because they base their opinion off an imagined first-hand experience.
Plus if someone says it sounds average or bad they can claim that it is because of the recording and not the band, or that the band planned to have their music recorded poorly.
>>
>>71575627
I really like the noisy parts and some of their folk songs are very pretty.

They are overrated, though.
>>
>>71575632
I know that feel. I have the same thing going on with the Brainbombs. I know how bad and bland it is but I cannot stop listening to it.
>>
this song is fucking perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGFI6pRXPE
>>
But im different is a great song desu
>>
mizutani is a very misunderstood character

also 'heavier than a death in the family' isn't even a very coherent compilation album

LRD's sound also changed every decade, which is something not many people know, because they listen to heavier than a death, or 77 live, and stop there.

mizutani wasn't even into the entire commie shtick as much as the people around him. he was somewhat opposed to all the silly shit, like people handing out communist propaganda at his shows

its certainly true that the bands originated in the student protest scene, but to mizutani (who WAS LRD, everyone else was interchangeable), it seems, based on his behavior, that it became something different.

LRD is treated in the same way as 'daikanjyo' is, in that people do not understand the context, nor do they know anything about the members. its a shame. places like /mu/ and rym are sad in this regard
>>
>>71575741
Where would you place them relative to other bands of the time period?
>>
>>71575741
Whats their best album?
>>
>>71575761
i don't know

LRD started ahead of the curve, without a doubt.

LRD didn't evolve much over time, other than changing up the style of their playing (see: 80s albums being very post-punk inspired).

i'd consider LRD the most important underground japanese band, given that what they birthed.

haino keiji shamelessly ripped off LRD and the other francophile band/artist tropes at the time, and look at what that spawned.

without mizutani, haino keiji as we know him wouldn't exist.

mizutani's influence spread even to yamaguchi fujio (they played together on the shibuya double head album), who was a (relatively) mainstream artist, which sort of changed sounds in the hard-rock, regular rock sort of scene.

as a weird sort of off topic note, for every person i've talked to about japanese underground music (i live in japan), only maybe one in ten knows about LRD, yet most can name people directly influenced by them.

sorry im kinda drunk.
>>
>>71575741
wait does daikanjyo have any noteworthy context? you mean like the other guys' output because i heard some of that and it was kind of disappointing to say the least
>>
>>71575150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivscwcduhY
>>
File: V-Hnz29J.jpg large.jpg (255KB, 1024x1820px) Image search: [Google]
V-Hnz29J.jpg large.jpg
255KB, 1024x1820px
>>71575803

overall, i'd have to say '77 live. performance wise, and sound wise. it is also an entire concert, which many albums are not. a number are compilations of lives spanning a period of years.

personal favorite might be the double head, shibuya live albums.

he partnered up with yamaguchi fujio (maybe much to his dismay) during those shows.

even though yamaguchi mostly played shitty buttrock, his guitar overtook mizutani in a lot of sports, which apparently mizutani was not very happy with. its also a lot more of a tame album.

81-88 soundboard is also very enjoyable.

also pic related is nice (found it in HMV in shibuya, price is about 160 USD), mizutani really shined when he played what he wanted to (folk music)

im convinced, if it wasn't for the people around him, he would have only played folk.
>>
>>71575808
You make LRD sound like the Japanese Velvet Underground in terms of claimed influence.
>>
>>71575829

the solo members do, yes.

the guitarist/vocalist was mikami kan. name drop him in any 'underground' bar in japan, and you've got yourself an in.

he started out as a titan in the folk scene, his debut album is absolutely fantastic. he put out solid stuff for a few years, but quickly (?) fell off the tracks. he took awhile off, and came back on a new label, playing electric guitar. the first album with that is 俺が居る, a personal favorite.

the pianist is aketa shoji, the owner of the bar in which the played.

he has some solid work, but a lot of it (esp after the 70s) falls into more normal music. check out 集団生活 with him on it. great stuff.

the drummer is ishizuka toshiaki.

he got famous from being part of 頭脳警察. in the early 70s they were a major part of the student protests. got their start playing commie based protest songs.

they quickly turned into butt rock, and have a lot of shitty albums. their first album 頭脳警察1 , is solid.

ishizuka teamed up with mikami kan sometime after mikami kan's return. they toured around (and still do this day, they had a show at aketa's joint on march 1st). even teamed up with haino keiji at some point.
>>
>>71575855

i think it is an apt comparison, except velvet underground are more famous.

people can name velvet underground, but they can't name LRD, probably much to mizutani's dismay.
>>
>>71575808
what bands get named as directly influenced by them?
>>
>>71575150
It's literally Dick Dale being played by a really loud shoegaze band
>>
>>71575910
spooky underground music bar
>>
i dunno man it always sounded like boris recorded on a flipphone to me
>>
>>71575910
can you link me some kan mikami era stuff? I really dug his solo work and never knew he did other stuff
>>
>>71575150
They're Japanese, not chinese.
>>
Knew nothing about the communist stuff. I just heard that one of the bassists hijacked a plane or something? Cable Hogue Soundtrack and Live at Mars Studio are both pretty sick imo. Not like albums you'd really listen to start-to-finish but i like the handful of songs they play so much that I enjoy listening to different versions of them.
>>
>>71576214

if you like his sound on 'daikanjyo' than you will enjoy any of his albums after '91.

i dont think any of it is on youtube, but check out

俺が居る
女優
砂山963
アラシ・雨・アラシ
Yamamoto

fun fact about his start

he made a name for himself by showing up to a famous and incredibly rowdy bar in osaka. the crowd would generally boo acts off during their first song.

mikami kan showed up at the age of around 18-19, dressed in his junior high school uniform. the songs he wrote at that age were incredibly dark (for example, おど , which is about rape, joining yakuza, and a lot of suicide). his songs were also very vulgar, and use a lot of crude language (which was even more fringe at the time). this would have been around 1968-1969.
>>
>>71576410
Man how the fuck do you know all of this
>>
>>71576466

i've been a fan of japanese music for awhile now

i also spend a lot of time in bars. the borderline alcoholism helps with that.

a lot of people i've talked to have seen some of the legendary acts of japanese underground live, and they like to talk about it. i suppose im fluent in japanese, especially when drunk, so that makes it pretty easy to learn all this.
>>
>>71576496
I'm currently studying in korea and am looking to go on a weekish trip to japan; what are the must-go places as a fan of underground weirdness? I'm into all sorts of experimental/outsider/noise/extreme/avant (prefer a fun show to a serious academic one though, korean noise scene is really uptight)
>>
All Nip bands are drastically overrated, especially here. Boris? More like Bore Us.
>>
>>71576535
your best bet is probably koenji. koenji/asagaya/ogikubo are home to the current places to be, if you ask me.

if you do some googling, you might have some luck in golden-gai in shinjuku, although i am unfamiliar with that area, outside of uramado. it is also quite expensive.

the further west you go, the more folk the music scene gets.

you might even find some underground stuff in nakano-ku (along the chuo line). although from my understanding, hip-hop seems to be slightly more popular there、as of late

osaka is home to a lot of the 'weirdness' of japanese experimental as well. i've never been, so i can't really comment on specifics.
>>
>>71576603
thank you very much for the advice! I will research these places

I may have heard a thing or two about the hundred sights of koenji, huehuehue
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.