[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This was the biggest selling album of 1972 and widely considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

This was the biggest selling album of 1972 and widely considered one of the greatest of all time, but I don't get the hype desu. I found it just okay and The Needle and the Damage Done is the only good song on there.
>>
It's pretty much After The Gold Rush Part 2, but still it's great folk rock / country rock in it's own right.
>>
I love it but Neil has much better albums. Listen to On The Beach.
>>
i think its a good/great album but i think i know what you're getting at OP, when compared to neil young's other great albums i don't think it really stacks up.

im a pretty big fan of out of the weekend, heart of gold, old man, alabama, needle and the damage done and the of course i love the epic words (between the lines of age).
>>
>>71559751
>This was the biggest selling album of 1972

Because it appealed to women.
>>
>>71560319
Not really... Singing about being an old man and heroin addiction aren't really women issues.
>>
>>71559751
>letting hype affect your mindset going into an album

why do people do this?
>>
>>71560339
women love heroin
>>
>>71560339
>Singing about being an old man

Did you actually read the lyrics? It's more like The Who's My Generation.
>>
>>71559789
After the Gold Rush as an album is shit whereas this could easily be Neil's best.

This is my favorite Neil Young album followed by Everyone Knows and On the Beach. It really shows off the widest variety of his musicianship, it's got his best pop song, and ends on the closest thing he got to progressive rock, the pastoral masterpiece that is Words.
>>
>>71560456
Why do you hate ATGR? Southern Man and Don't Let It Bring You Down are incredible.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Harvest [Reprise, 1972]

Anticipation and mindless instant acceptance made for critical overreaction when this came out, but it stands as proof that the genteel Young has his charms, just like the sloppy one. Rhythmically it's a little wooden, and Young is guilty of self-imitation on "Alabama" and pomposity on on the unbearable London Symphony Orchestra opus "There's a World." But those two excepted, even the slightest songs here are gratifying musically, and two of them are major indeed--"The Needle and the Damage Done" and the much-maligned (by feminists as well as those critics of the London Symphony Orchestra) "A Man Needs a Maid." B+
>>
>>71560544
not that anon but i think after the gold rush is a great ablum. personally don't care for the after the gold rush song though if someone wants to explain that one to me. but tell me why, only love can break your heart, oh lonesome me, when you dance, i can really love and i believe in you are all GREAT songs.
>>
I actually like Harvest Moon better. It's sort of a spiritual sequel to harvest he did to it in 1992, the early 90s were pretty incredibly for so late in his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtiVaelsoY
>>
>>71560673
He caught a second wind on Ragged Glory through Mirror Ball after the wheels had fallen off of his career in the 80s.
>>
>>71560544
Shit was a harsh term, I'm just not a humongous fan of the ballads on the album and find they slow down the pace of things especially if I listen to it with a group.
>>
>>71560701
t.southern man
>>
>>71560722
Nah, Lynyrd Skynrd took care of that shit.
>>
>>71560695
nice, ill have to check these albums out. no surprise the godfather of grunge would thrive in the grunge era.
>>
>>71561206
Ragged Glory is Grunge-Country, weird mix of styles but goes together well.
>>
not even a top 5 neil young album
>>
>>71559751
Listen to the three albums that followed this (Time fades away, On the beach and Tonight's the night) known as the Ditch trilogy. They were recorded during/just after his tour in support of Harvest. Much darker sound.
>>
>>71561206
Iggy Pop and James Taylor also had a bit of a revival in the early 90s after spending the previous decade in limbo. Bob Dylan could have had a shot as well, but Dan Lanois made him give up on doing anything contemporary.
>>
>>71561206
>>71560339
The Needle and the Damage Done was like the perfect grunge song.
>>
"biggest selling album" often means the previous good album hyped a mediocre followup into an undeserved position of importance.
>>
Is there any more stuff like Old Man by him? I love that song but I was disappointed by how much country was on the record as opposed to folk/acoustic
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.