[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the early punk bands respect The Who more than the other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: The Punks and the Godfather.jpg (50KB, 731x490px) Image search: [Google]
The Punks and the Godfather.jpg
50KB, 731x490px
Why did the early punk bands respect The Who more than the other 60's rock bands?
>>
They were the godfathers of punk. Duh.

But all the punk bands admired the Rolling Stones just as much, so...
>>
The Who, compared to other bands, had a ton of stage presence. And they were loud. If my memory doesn't fail me for a long time they held the record of loudest rock show. And, in addition, their stage presence was less about the way they dressed and more about the way they acted.
>>
>>71559599
I thought I heard Johnny Rotten trash talk Mick Jagger, though I guess it could have just his act. I think Jagger bailed out Sid Vicious after he went to jail for killing Nancy.
>>
Have you even listened to My Generation? Song is punk as fuck.
>>
>>71559661
Yeah, I think he took a few jabs at him when he was in character but he certainly respects him at least.
>Later in the interview Lydon praised Jagger for helping Vicious when Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McLaren failed to come to the bassist’s aid. “The only good news is that I heard Mick Jagger got in there and brought lawyers into it on Sid’s behalf because I don’t think Malcolm lifted a finger. He just didn’t know what to do,” Lydon recalled. “For that, I have a good liking of Mick Jagger. There was activity behind the scenes from Mick Jagger so I applaud him. He never used it to advance himself publicity-wise.”
>>
Their early stuff was what influenced punk. They changed their sound after they came out with Tommy and was more of a typical classic rock sound.
>>
>>71559794
you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>71559821
You think their rock operas were closer to punk then their mod rock? I'm not saying it's bad, i'm just saying the early stuff is closer to punk.
>>
File: cover.jpg (210KB, 650x952px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
210KB, 650x952px
>>71559661
Yeah he was known to put up an act to be punk. Like he somewhat disavowed Bowie when he was older but was a huge Bowie fan as a teenager. Which is kind of weird because I think glam was somewhat accepted by punks.
>>
>>71559901
The Clash name dropped Bowie and Gary Glitter in "Clash City Rockers"
>>
>>71559854
the early stuff is closer to pop and baroque pop
>>
>>71559913
lmao
>>
>"I remember being in Dingwalls, it must have been about '76 or whenever, and I was with Joe Strummer and 'Sound And Vision' come on. We were like: 'Fucking hell!' Just to hear that drum sound. We'd never heard anything like that before." - Paul Weller
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.