[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else agree that the Grateful Dead's early stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: gratefuldead.png (747KB, 1069x561px) Image search: [Google]
gratefuldead.png
747KB, 1069x561px
Does anyone else agree that the Grateful Dead's early stuff (67 to mid 69 or so) is better than their later stuff?

I love the early bluesy psychedelic rock stuff, but it seems like Jerry didn't and basically just did country flavored stuff from 1970 on.

Their first 3 studio albums are great. I do like American Beauty but I still like the early stuff more.

Most of their post 60s stuff bores me, and while the setlists changed every night, they seem to be mostly filled with boring stuff.
>>
Terrapin Station best song
>>
>>71529632
I actually don't think I've heard that in its entirety.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJTIU8b8Yk

this is simply amazing.
>>
>>71529557
I agree but I like the stuff that came even earlier like when they were still The Warlocks. But yeah the first three studio albums and Live/Dead are GOAT!
>>
77 is their best year, they were just really tight and funky, definitely their peak.
>>
>>71530472
Maybe as a live band but Terrapin Station was a terrible studio album although Shakedown St. was slightly better.

Then again The Grateful Dead were meant to be experienced in concert in the first place.
>>
>>71530472
>>71530233
requesting high fidelity audio from the warlocks or early to late 70s dead, you would make my night!
>>
File: deadchart.png (2MB, 2000x2177px) Image search: [Google]
deadchart.png
2MB, 2000x2177px
>>71529557
the early pre '70 shit is cool, i definitely prefer the studio albums from that period. anthem and aoxomoxoa are incredible desu, and of course live/dead is classic shit.

but the live shows were more hit-and-miss, as you progress towards the late 70s their performances become more and more impressive and interesting, especially in 77 around the release of terrapin. 76 and 79 are also especially good years imo. and unlike a lot of people, i do appreciate some good 80s dead. they had a good sound during that time on the few occasions when jerry could keep his shit together. dead set is nice, and most of the picks from this time are p good.
>>
>>71530572
Do a google search for "Birth of The Grateful Dead" for Warlocks studio demos and go to the Dead's site and look in their on line catalogue for "Dick's Picks" or "From The Vault". Lots of good quality concerts from the years you're searching for.

Also the 50 anniversary edition of the first Grateful Dead album now includes a bonus C.D. of a concert they did in Vancouver B.C. in 1966. I haven't heard it yet but since that's my favorite period for the band I expect great music.
>>
>>71530603
The original versions of Anthem and AOXOMOXOA are GOAT! I don't think they've been re-issued on C.D. only the 1971 re-mixes which are good but not as good.

Not a huge fan of Workingman's Dead or American Beauty but the other three albums you posted are GOAT!
>>
>>71530603
kek I was just thinking about both that scale and the Grateful Dead within 10 minutes of each other

I like 80s dead because it features Brent Mydland who brought back the much needed Hammond B3, plus Jerry got his shit together in the late 80s, albeit briefly
>>
>>71530603
Also I prefer the live stuff of the early years too, because by 1970 they scrapped a lot of the early songs that I like. Although there are definitely some performances in the early 70s that I like.
>>
ok old fags...own up...who here has seen the dead?

Buffalo NY on in 84? 85? with Dylan and Petty...all I remember is a great Shakedown and my Felix the Cat tye dye...

also Alpine woods...3 shows...88? 89? 90?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.