[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why aren't you a lyric person ? i'm not a lyric person

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1487476000407.jpg (55KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
1487476000407.jpg
55KB, 500x669px
why aren't you a lyric person ?

i'm not a lyric person because most of the times the emotion that the melodies make me feel, doesn't match with the shallow lyrics.

and idk i just can't relate to emotions in general. i'm just interested in ambience, atmosphere, melodies, aesthetic.
>>
A really good lyric accompanying just the right music is usually what gives me musical frisson.

But most lyrics aren't that good in my opinion. Many musicians tend to think it's not important.

Also (and this will sound pretentious probably) I find that tying the abstract expression of purely instrumental music to an often more concrete and structured meaning through the use of language destroys a large part of the subjectivity of interpretation that any listener can have in relation to the music, which I think is a bad thing.
>>
>>71517126
What about lyrics that are designed to be nonsense, like (it's probably not the best example) some of the Pixies?
>>
>fire
>desire
>>
>>71517111
You seem like someone who just went from radio tier shit to instrumental type stuff.

Lots of good shit out there lyric wise, it's up to you to find what relates to your life and what you connect with.

I will agree that atmosphere and melodies are 80% of what makes a song good, and that shit tier, or in some cases, mediocre lyrics can absolutely ruin a song.
>>
>>71517111
i hate when lyrics rhyme
>>
Good lyrics can make a good song great but bad lyrics dont really matter to me as long as they fit the music well enough

For example, Turn on the Bright Lights
>>
File: 1478972297053.jpg (5KB, 192x185px) Image search: [Google]
1478972297053.jpg
5KB, 192x185px
I'm not a lyric person because for me, 90% of songs it's hard to make them out desu
>>
If I want words I'll read actual literature.
If I want words but I'm driving or something I'll listen to a podcast.
When I listen to music I'm doing so purely for its sonic qualities.

Like a lot of other anons have said, I can still appreciate lyrics if they strike me as pretty or interesting or whatever, ITAOTS being a prime example. But I can rarely get into albums that are hyped because "omg the lyrics are amazing" but the instrumention is minimal or bland (I always think of Benji by Sun Kil Moon). Pure literature just gives me much more linguistic enjoyment.
>>
I can enjoy lyrics but I generally listen to music for the musical aspects of it. The human voice can obviously be musical but I'm really not that interested in poetry. I'm more intrigued by how the musicians play their instruments, what ideas they have, the "sonic" side of music in general.
>>
>>71519722

I am a Lyric Person for this reason. That being said i hate most music for that reason, only thing i give a pass to is Metal and even then i unironically prefer shit like Dragonforce because i can make out what they're saying.
>>
MUFDDA FUGGIN BIX NOOD, I HATE IT WHEN RAPPERS TRI 2 SOND SMART WITH DEM DER BIG WERDS

IT MAKE EM LOOK LIKE JACKASSAS, FUCKING UNKLE TOMS
>>
>>71517111
I like songs with lyrics because they hold the song together, and it's even more helpful when I can understand the lyrics. Vocals are like another instrument.

That being said, I focus on the music before the lyrics. When I've listened to something a few times, I start to take note of the lyrics and remember them. Especially strong lyrics help to boost the music, but they don't make me think. My mind just isn't wired that way.
>>
>>71517111
Lyrics aren't music.

I appreciate good lyrics, but they are never necessary.
>>
lyrics are cool to focus on for a few minutes when you look them up and try to make meaning out of them, but other than that i don't really pay attention to the lyrics.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.