[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you stop buying into the normie meme of only Gabriel-fronted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Genesis.jpg (90KB, 1000x791px) Image search: [Google]
Genesis.jpg
90KB, 1000x791px
When did you stop buying into the normie meme of only Gabriel-fronted Genesis being good and realised that Collins-front Genesis were a GOAT 80s pop group?
>>
I don't hate the Collins fronted Genesis and think Misunderstanding is a GOAT pop song, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the Gabriel Genesis is better by literally every standard.
>>
I knew Genesis as the pop group first, and I always thought they were pretty good.

Gabriel era is still the pinnacle of prog rock and easily their best work, but pop era Genesis is fantastic too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbO6aKayNIA
>>
The correct answer is that both are good.
>>
>>71505183
I don't disagree, but I hate that Collins-fronted Genesis is dismissed completely by some people despite the two with Hackett still in the band being hardly a knock lower than the ones with Gabriel and a lot of their pop stuff being really, really good, even if it's not as good as their early stuff. How many other Prog bands survived the 80s as well as them?
>>
>>71505160
When did you stop buying into the normie meme of only fine literature being good and realised that pulped books recycled into cardboard were a GOAT packing material?
>>
>>71505274
Basically this. Genesis broke all the rules. They were prog in an era where prog was increasingly seen as pretentious. They lost their frontman, who might have been their central image, and put up their drummer as a replacement. They went on despite their guitarist leaving as well. They survived the punk movement by becoming more commercial- and it brought them the largest success of any prog band sans Rush.
>>
>>OP
>Genesis
>not the worst thing to come out of prog
>>
>>71505386
>Genesis
>not one of the best things to come out of prog
>>
>>71505386
Found the pleb
>>
>>71505160
I think Collins is a good songwriter and as good of a singer as Gabriel, but I really don't like his production techniques. If I asked you the first thing that came to mind when I say "sterile '80s production" or "gated reverb", chances are you'd probably think of a song like 'Tonight, Tonight, Tonight', 'Mama', or 'Land of Confusion'.
>>
>>71505436
that was more hugh padgham's fault tbf
>>
File: 1262074700461[1].jpg (11KB, 430x320px) Image search: [Google]
1262074700461[1].jpg
11KB, 430x320px
>>71505160
when I got these dubs
>>
>>71505466
HE ACTUALLY PULLED IT OFF THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
File: 1478667285391.gif (2MB, 325x235px) Image search: [Google]
1478667285391.gif
2MB, 325x235px
>>71505466
WITNESSED
>>
File: Phil Collins Approves.jpg (51KB, 300x285px) Image search: [Google]
Phil Collins Approves.jpg
51KB, 300x285px
>>71505466
Phil Collins confirmed patrician
>>
>>71505386
Which Genesis are you talking about? Post Duke or all?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.