[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Grimes's 2012 album Visions is getting the classical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: cover.jpg (199KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
199KB, 620x620px
>Grimes's 2012 album Visions is getting the classical treatment from Montreal-based ensemble Plumes.

>The group, which includes singer/guitarist Veronica Charnley (of Flotilla), composer and multi-instrumentalist Geof Holbrook and harpist Éveline Grégoire-Rousseau, commissioned composers to rework tracks to take Grimes’s subversion of pop traditions even further down the road of deconstruction. Composers include Nicole Lizée, Marielle Groven, Cassandra Miller, Emilie LeBel and Toronto-based Monica Pearce.

>It’s fitting that Pearce should find herself tackling a composition based on the music of Grimes, a left-field pop star who’s been outspoken about the lack of recognition for female producers and technical talents. The issue of gender equity in classical music is one Pearce has continually pushed, as former general manager of the Canadian League of Composers and now as executive director at the Music Gallery.

[...]

>What is it about Visions that lends itself to this sort of reimagining?
>It’s really rich musically. The melodic aspects of the tracks are amazing. Veronica, Plumes singer, has this incredible voice but is very different from Grimes. It’s going to be quite different from the album, which I think will be really exciting.

Thoughts?
>>
>What was it like re-arranging Grimes in a classical context?

>The song I ended up using was Nightmusic and I must’ve listened to it 100 times before writing my piece. It’s a very electronic, synthy and reverby track. Plumes is primarily acoustic so the idea of translating that sound world for a chamber ensemble using unamplified instruments was really challenging but also interesting. Plumes have a harpist and I had written for harp before. Since they don’t have a percussionist, I ended up using the harp as the beat-making part, so the harpist plays the body of the instrument to get the percussion aspect of it.

>I tried to keep the vocals very similar to what is in Grimes’s track. I had to work pretty hard to transcribe them because she’s all over the place. There’s so much ornamentation and singing right before the beat. To get that notated was tricky but fun.

https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/grimes-gets-the-classical-treatment
>>
>>71453504
I hope they get to recording/releasing it soon. As far as I can tell, this is just a single live performance debut.
>>
>>71453527
page not found
>>
>>71453504
>>71453527
>>71453548
https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/grimes-gets-the-classical-treatment/

Seems that last slash is important...
>>
>>71453548
https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/grimes-gets-the-classical-treatment/

Fucking hell, their url doesn't work without that final slash...
>>
>>71453607
>Seems that last slash is important...
That's really stupid. Their admin is not doing his job properly.
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1038x1196px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1038x1196px
IMO Grimes should do a classical album. She's really good.
>>
>>71453607
>>71453616
searched it myself
thx anyway
seems pretty cool
>>
how far will this cancer spread
>>
>>71453669
is she wearing a drawstring bag as a shirt
>>
>>71455006
Into your wildest dreams.
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 1980x1308px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1980x1308px
>>71455234
Maybe. She's so quirky.
>>
>>71456200
no i think thats just her in ridiculous poses and outfits for a photoshoot.

something tells me she doesn't look/act/dress like that when she's chilling out. just call it a hunch.
>>
File: zY0acg-upmk.jpg (106KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
zY0acg-upmk.jpg
106KB, 682x1024px
>>71456250
>>
>>71456250
what did you expect from a generic lady gaga ripoff?
>>
>>71457682
>generic lady gaga ripoff
Anon, you can't be a ripoff of someone who is themself a total ripoff.
>>
File: 1443384896177.png (159KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
1443384896177.png
159KB, 299x300px
>>71453504
cool, will check this out
>>
>>71458266
but you can, grimes is like recording a 128kbps mp3 from some $5 speakers with an old nokia microphone
>>
>>71458803
all youtube mp3 is 128kbps
i suggest you to listen to some legally downloaded music
>>
Grimes is the closest thing to culture for Canadians
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.