[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saying something was "overproduced" is not a legitimate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
Saying something was "overproduced" is not a legitimate criticism.
>>
Yes it is
It means the producer/engineer did more work than the band
>>
Fine.

Commercialized then.
>>
>>71417888
overproduced is a valid criticism, this isn't though
>>
>>71417874

I've heard people call albums overproduced when the artist produced the work. When I hear this criticism, it sounds like "They worked too hard," which is a punk rock sentiment that I think is lame. It also makes people think this:

>>71417888

Implying that a slaved over mixdown and composition is somehow corporate. Fuck that way of thinking.
>>
it mean it fuckin gay and suck dick like your homo ass post imply you dik lick fag bitch pussy boy
>>
>>71418098

This is a legit criticism
>>
faggot op:

timmy turner - desiigner

/thread
>>
>bloated
ISHYGDDT
>>
If you're ugly, you'd probably look better with Snapchat filters than high resolution photography.
>>
Most people mean the music is too clean and sanitized sounding, but they're stupid and call it overproduced instead
>>
Overproduced definitely does not mean that the producer worked too hard, or that working hard on a mix is at all a bad thing.

It refers to a mix which is actually taking away from the music or a production style which does not suit the music being created, most often by stripping it of its humanity by attempting to "perfect" every sound in the mix. This criticism is often also attributed to mixes which attempt to make all the sounds in the mix sonically bland and easy to digest - which is why it is a criticism often linked to corporate mixes and pop music.

Here's an example of overproduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5a708EqfuE

A Jeff Buckley cover of the tragic Smith's song "I Know It's Over", you'd expect this to be a very personal and authentic song. However, the producer chose to use autotune on some of Jeff's vocals, which must have been a little off the mark at some points. It sounds utterly dreadful and in my opinion destroys the soul of the performance. Again, in this example the "overproduced" aspect has nothing to do with hard work being a bad thing, as the autotune is not even subtly applied but blatantly obvious and obnoxious. It is to do with the application of production techniques which are unnecessary and do not suit/take away from the music.
>>
>>71417856
usually when i see that it just refers to albums being heavily compressed to the point where it sounds like shit, at least i alway use it that way

>>71418725
there's nothing wrong with sounding good
>>
>>71417856
what are you some pop cuck?
>>
>>71417856
listen to some modern country artists (on the radio or something)
then you'll know why overproduction is a legitimate criticism
>>
>>71418822
>there's nothing wrong with sounding good

For certain music there certainly is.

Can you imagine if Raw Power was produced the same way as Dark Side of the Moon or something? It wouldn't work.

>usually when i see that it just refers to albums being heavily compressed to the point where it sounds like shit, at least i alway use it that way

Most people don't use it that way. Loudness is certainly a factor, but people have been complaining about overproduction since Let it Be.
>>
File: folder.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
>>71417856
>>
would you wipe out bob dylans slides on the guitar or autotune his voice lol gtfo people appreciate the raw and intimate
>>
>>71417888
>doing a good job means it's commercial
wew lad
>>
>>71418791
When that Jeff Buckley song was released the autotune pissed me off so much

In fact, subtle use of autotune in general pisses me off. That Vaccines record that was big a few years ago was unlistenable.
>>
overproduction varies from artist some acts it doesn't suit them well
>>
>>71418791
>stripping it of its humanity
>destroys the soul
i always see that "reasoning" behind the criticism, and it even makes sense to explain it that way purely because of the language involved like what perfection and humanity are associated with, but i never actually found that this is something that impacts my actual impression, so i can't help but feel like it's a meme for when people just want to criticize something, yam?
>>71418870
>It wouldn't work.
because you say so?
>>
>>71418918
are you implying that this is overproduced?
>>
>>71418969
Obviously criticism of music and music production is based on opinions and ideas. You just have a different opinion, and that's fine.
>>
>>71418073
I always took "overproduced" to mean "so much work has been done to the music that it no longer sounds like it's coming from real instruments or the performance of a human being."

But I rarely see it used so I don't really know.
>>
>>71417856
I would say the new American Football album is too overproduced. It sounds too clean which betrays its supposed melancholic mood. A more rugged, raw feel would sound better in context.
>>
tell me this isn't overproduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-MF8GIreAE

even noel himself admits it was
>>
Reminder that you don't like Currents because you think it's overproduced
>meme drums
>>
>>71417856
It's a valid criticism because every criticism is purely subjective.

I think they went too far with the instrument overdubbing in Be Here Now, so I criticize it for being overproduced.
>>
>>71419010
i'm talking about feeling rather than critique though, because critique exists on a layer of abstraction, just to explain or convey said gut feeling. i guess it really just depends on the style of music though i would be kinda interested if there's some actual connection between contingency in recording and the quality of being evocative explored in the form of a psychological study or something, but not enough to actually search for it right now so whatever
>>
File: 1486341017320.jpg (25KB, 427x365px) Image search: [Google]
1486341017320.jpg
25KB, 427x365px
>>71418098
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.