[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question: A fairly popular Youtube channel (probably make around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1487560866932s.jpg (4KB, 139x250px) Image search: [Google]
1487560866932s.jpg
4KB, 139x250px
Question:

A fairly popular Youtube channel (probably make around 20k a year from videos and ads) has been using music from my old band in their intros. Which I feel cool about it, but I'm pissed because they aren't even giving credit to us in the video bios.

The music isn't copyrighted, so am I basically shit out of luck in terms of going after them legally?
>>
>>71407797
I suggest you leave well alone, or now they'll sue YOU for claiming their music belongs to you. You can done for libel son, do time, so mum's the word!
>>
>>71407875
The date on the Bandcamp is literally from 5 years ago before their channels were even a thing, I don't think they would be able to pull that off
>>
>>71407797
>isn't copyrighted
Weĺl unless you have positive proof you wrote it, then yeah, you should probably drop it.
>>
>>71407797
It's your music you have rights talk to them explain how u feel. Easy
>>
>>71407949
Could my name on the Bandcamp that hasn't been updated in 5 years count? That was long before these guys started making videos

>>71407994
Thank you for the reply. Like I wouldn't have cared if they at least put our name in the credits. But since they didn't I'm pissed. I'm not on speaking terms with any of the other band members but I might hit them up soon.
>>
>>71408043
No you need dated sheet written or notes that can be dated. Like you put a copy in an envolope and mailed it to yourself, so that it's postmarked. Or you had copies notarized. Otherwise they can claim you got it from somewhere else, and you can't prove otherwise. I'm not an attorney but you should consult one. I'm a photographer and had issue with IP in the past. It can get very expensive. You may be alble to bluff but if they call you on it and you have no proof they can sue to recover cost. I had proof that my camera took the photos. I had the unedited originals and all the metadata.
>>
>>71408544
I have emails with the wav file of the song from the studio we recorded at, I think I could hit up our engineer too
>>
>>71407797
>The music isn't copyrighted

youll have to ask nicely and hope theyre not assholes
>>
>>71408602
That may be enough, but how much will it cost to recover is really the question. A letter from an attorney carries weight, it also costs about $400, and then if they just blow it off you have to be able to file, which is big $$$$ or walk away less the fee. A consultation costs nothing and they can fill you in on all the details. Sometimes a letter from you is enough, most of the time it isn't.
>>
have u emailed them?
>>
>>71407797
Everything is copyrighted the moment it's made unless you put a Creative Commons license or something similar. If you uploaded it to the internet years ago you have pretty good evidence you made it first.
>>
have you asked them about it?
No need to turn this into an expensive shitfest if they apologize and start giving credits
>>
OP here: Big update

I Twitter direct message the one account (as Twitter seemed like the only way I could get ahold of something). It turns out that one of the guys in the video series is one of the old bandmates (drummer) I played with.

This is still a problem as he is using our music and making money without giving the rest of the members proper credit? Correct?
>>
>>71409020
Yeah it is dude. I would definitely sue the shit out of them
>>
>>71409020
>This is still a problem as he is using our music and making money without giving the rest of the members proper credit? Correct?
well it's probably hard to define who "owns" your bands song
sueing def won't get you anywhere
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.