[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post artists that underwent weird genre evolutions. Cabaret

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: cabaret-voltaire-virgin-years.jpg (30KB, 460x450px) Image search: [Google]
cabaret-voltaire-virgin-years.jpg
30KB, 460x450px
Post artists that underwent weird genre evolutions.

Cabaret Voltaire went from post-punk to deep house.
>>
Ulver
>>
Royal Trux went from noise rock to unstructured noise music and then back to noise rock
Also Boris on almost every album
>>
autechre went from ambient detroit techno to shitty coil and stockhausen worship
>>
>>71405812
When did they ever make deep house?
>>
arca went from autechre to gay
>>
>>71406868
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0INkJ0bFG0
>>
Toby Driver went from prog-metal to jazz-fuzion metal to synth goth-wave(or whatever)
>>
Flaming Lips started as Garage Punk, now they're doing albums with Miley Cyrus
>>
4hero

Hardcore to jungle to drum & bass to broken near to my jazz and techno
>>
Underworld went from synthpap to Dubnobass and everything after
>>
File: 615v44HuqlL.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
615v44HuqlL.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
Ministry

From sappy synthpop to EBM to industrial metal
>>
>>71407204
>near

*beat
>>
>>71405812
Beastie Boys went from Hardcore Punk to Hip Hop between their first and second EPs
>>
Scott Walker /thread
>>
Beck has done a lot of different styles, but he started as an Anti-Folk lo-fi bedroom tapes guy and now released a Trap-influenced Pop Rap song as his last single.
>>
File: a2487299279_16.jpg (99KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a2487299279_16.jpg
99KB, 700x700px
Severed Heads/Tom Ellard

From Proto Glitch/tape loops/ found sound to Electro Industrial to Synthpop to IDM back to Synthpop.
>>
>>71406893
lel
>>
>>71405812
Talk Talk went from synthpop to post-rock
>>
Kraftwerk

Jazz-rock => Krautrock => Progressive Electronic =>Synthpop => Dance
>>
Thirwell went from Fedora Industrial to Fedora Big Band
>>
File: cover.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
Belle and Sebastian got a really weird makeover in 2015 and I am, sadly, still not digging it. It's like Arctic Monkeys got the B&S's vocalist and it's fine, but I don't really get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vS1Hf3CVGs
>>
>>71409465
*the worst part of Arctic Monkeys
>>
Killing Joke

From post-punk to industrial metal
>>
>>71409465

I used to sit next to the keyboard player, Chris, in A level English in 1992.
>>
>Slowdive/Mojave 3
shoegaze -> ambient techno for one EP -> post-rock -> alt-country -> (back to shoegaze)
>>
The Verve went from space rock/psych rock/shoegaze to britpop
>>
>>71409976
That's not really weird
Lot of shoegaze bands later started making alternative rock
>>
File: 291537-david-gilmour.jpg (24KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
291537-david-gilmour.jpg
24KB, 700x400px
Pink Floyd

From Monty Python tier Psychedelic Rock to Musique Concrete/ psychedelic jamming to film scores to Progressive Rock to Rock Theater to Dire Straits.
>>
Justin Bieber turned Power Electronics
>>
Paradise Lost went from death-doom to Depeche Mode and back again. Both Katatonia and Anathema were also death-doom bands that went into alternative rock and then progressive rock.
>>
>>71410276
paradise lost was the first band that also came to mind seeing the OP. god, host is a terrible album
>>
>>71409540
What's it like living in an A-list country, anon? If I didn't have Internet where I'm from I wouldn't know that rock stars are a thing.

P.S. Wgat was Chris like? If you ever spoke a word with him
>>
>>71410428

I actually think it's a pretty good record, it's just Paradise Lost without the aggression and distorted guitars. Nick's lyricism and Greg's distinctive leads are as recognizable as ever, they're just stripped of the metal pretense.

>tfw listening to Icon as I type this
>>
File: scott walker.jpg (21KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
scott walker.jpg
21KB, 800x600px
>>71405812
Easy
>>
>>71411001
he was a handsome motherfucker b t w
>>
Justin Broadrick's Techno Animal side-project turned from straight industrial to experimental dub to experimental hip-hop/industrial hip-hop.
>>
>>71411654
speaking of broadrick it's quite a shame how he has all these visions for his sideprojects but they almost always end up just sounding like godflesh. once he realizes that he abandons it and starts a new project which inevitably turns into yet another godflesh-album
>>
>>71410276
There were lot of death doom bands that went into making alternative or gothic rock
See also Tiamat, Sentenced and The Gathering
My Dying Bride were probably the only major band that never changed their style much
>>
Burzum
From essential black metal to Runescape music
>>
>>71405812
SPK did something similar
>>
>>71409535
But their debut album was the first industrial metal album?
>>
>Ween
>...
>>
In Flames
from decent melodeath to a heavier version of Imagine Dragons
>>
Boredoms
From insane 2-minute noise rock songs to hour-long psychedelic jams
>>
>>71411815

True, but MDB still occasionally tries their hand at electronic/neoclassical shit. See: 34.788% Complete or Evinta. Also, didn't The Gathering go trip-hop of all things?
>>
>Tom Waits - lounge jazz to experimental folk rock
>Tim Buckley - singer-songwriter folk to psych folk to jazz folk to avant-folk to funk
>Boredoms - Soul Discharge to Super aE
>The Boys Next Door to The Birthday Party
>The Velvet Underground - groundbreaking, experimental rock to fucking corporate rock radio garbage
>Current 93 - industrial to folk
>>
>>71411849
kek
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.