[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it too late to start playing the guitar? I'm 21, will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (969KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
969KB, 2592x1936px
Is it too late to start playing the guitar? I'm 21, will I even be able to get good at it?
>>
"too late" is relative

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar-papi
>>
If you put in 4 hours of good practice a da,y in a month you will literally be better than 90% of guitarists. Being good at anything is just time you spend practicing
>>
>>71362617
Depends on what you mean by getting good.
>>
>>71362617

Well, what would you be doing instead?

You could get reasonably good at guitar by the time you are 25, or?
>>
>>71362617
It's never too late to start playing any instrument.

I started piano at fucking 28 and one year later I am already impressing my friends. "Dude i didn't know you played piano!"

You just have to practice intelligently. Four hours of noodling is not nearly as effective as thirty minutes of working slowly with a metronome on passages and techniques that trip you up.

Don't fall for the "thousand hours" meme. Just practice intelligently.
>>
>>71364070
thousand hours meme is real numbnuts
i don't see ppl hiring you to be a session musicians
im sure lebron got away with 30minutes of practice am i right.

gotta put the work in
>>
>>71362617
My teacher started at 19 and he's really fucking good. He loves Gypsy Jazz and all that shit and is really fucking good at it.
>>
>>71364094
Did I say I am a session musician? No.

But I can play enough to jam in a band without anyone turning heads.

1000 hours meme is to be an expert. You don't need to be an expert to play music well. The age of virtuosos is dead anyway. If you want to play an instrument, play it. You don't need to be able to hammer tap Jazz bass to rock out to some great Motown jams.

The 1000 hours thing is just discouraging and appeals to an ideal level of skill (session musician) that most people don't aspire to anyway. They just want to be able to play music with friends or write songs in their spare time.
>>
>>71362617
if you want to play guitar, then play fucking guitar man. it doesn't matter how old you are. Put in at least an hour of practice everyday and you'll be pretty good in a year
>>
you need reason to do it

personal satisfaction isn't enough for most people

the reason you see 16yo shreading like rhoads or 20yos singing like mraz is because they're motivated by social acceptance and girls

what's your motivation for learning guitar now?
>>
Age doesn't matter in your case, you just have to be consistant. You have to make some time to work on it, i'm also 21, and i also started practicing guitar. The problem is that now i have college, so i guess it's over for me.
>>
"The age matters" meme is create by hateful people that want to see you fail. The lengths those bastards will go to make you feel shitty are amazing. I recently saw a famous piano player saying to little kid of like 12 "if you don't start at 7 you aren't going to go far".

Fucking faggots artists.

I bet you can start at 60 and at 80 to be good. Mark my words.
>>
>>71364877
age matters because normal ppl go to college and get J O B S
>>
>>71364922
i.e. it's a fucking lie meme. I may stay at home at 90 y.o. and practice until 100. fuck those idiots and their "Advice".
>>
If you wanna be the best guitar player ever in the entire world, yes.

If you wanna play for fun, it's never too late and you might still get better than 90% of all guitarists.
>>
Age doesn't matter in your case, you just have to be consistant. You have to make some time to work on it, i'm also 21, and i also started practicing guitar. The problem is that now i have college, so i guess it's over for me.
>>
>>71364922
Excuses excuses. My brother works 46-60 hours a week and he still got time to play the guitar.
>>
>>71364922
>168 hrs per week
>56 hrs for sleep
>40 hrs for work
>72 hours for practice
"lel i'm just so busy"
>watches netflix for 6 hours a night while shitposting on 4chan or facebook retardation
if you can't find 30 minutes a day to practice even working sixty hours a week and sleeping ten hours a night you just don't want it enough.
>>
Also would like to point out that you learn your instrument best while sleeping, ironically. Your brain builds neural pathways while you sleep based on your activity the previous day. I'll practice something on piano for interdependence between hands that literally hurts my brain to try and do but a week later i can do it. It's always a little easier the next day.

Practice 30 minutes a day before bed consistently for a month and you will be light years ahead of someone who practices for two hours a day three times a week.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.