[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i Neil Young? I just listened to Harvest and Harvest Moon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1401x788-109774087.jpg (142KB, 1401x788px) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-109774087.jpg
142KB, 1401x788px
How do i Neil Young?
I just listened to Harvest and Harvest Moon and i want more, but his discography is fucking huge
>>
>>71336912
ON THE BEACH
>>
>>71336928
This and Tonight's The Night.
>>
File: Cover.png (3MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.png
3MB, 1000x1000px
>>
Once you've heard Harvest Moon and Heart of Gold, you've heard his entire discography.
>>
Every one of his albums from 1969-1975 are really good. Also live at massey hall 1971
>>
>>71336912
get Havest on vinyl and play that shit until it's worn out.
>>
>>71336990
This
Just start with this and go chronological from there. His debut is decent but not as essential as what came right after.
>>
File: NeilYoung2.jpg (77KB, 463x561px) Image search: [Google]
NeilYoung2.jpg
77KB, 463x561px
Neil is a wonder. Listen to all of his 70s stuff, and don't skip the live albums. The 80s were pretty dodgy, but if you liked the other stuff at least give Trans a try. Pick right up again with Freedom and go through his 90s stuff. Everything to the present is kind of hit or miss, but Le Noise and Psychedelic Pill are alright. Don't forget the archival live albums he's been releasing, like Live at Massey Hall.
>>
after the gold rush is essential
>>
File: 640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg (20KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Robert_Christgau_08.jpg
20KB, 640x425px
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere [Reprise, 1969]

Young is a strange artist and I am not all the way into him yet, but this record is haunting. For someone who is into him, try to find the piece Greil Marcus wrote for Good Times (reprinted in the July 23 EVO). Best rock criticism in a while. B+

After the Gold Rush [Reprise, 1970]

While David Crosby yowls about assassinations, Young divulges darker agonies without even bothering to make them explicit. Here the gaunt pain of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere fills out a little--the voice softer, the jangling guitar muted behind a piano. Young's melodies--every one of them--are impossible to dismiss. He can write "poetic" lyrics without falling flat on his metaphor even when the subject is ecology or crumbling empire. And despite his acoustic tenor, he rocks plenty. A real rarity: pleasant and hard at the same time. A+

Harvest [Reprise, 1972]

Anticipation and mindless instant acceptance made for critical overreaction when this came out, but it stands as proof that the genteel Young has his charms, just like the sloppy one. Rhythmically it's a little wooden, and Young is guilty of self-imitation on "Alabama" and pomposity on on the unbearable London Symphony Orchestra opus "There's a World." But those two excepted, even the slightest songs here are gratifying musically, and two of them are major indeed--"The Needle and the Damage Done" and the much-maligned (by feminists as well as those critics of the London Symphony Orchestra) "A Man Needs a Maid." B+
>>
He changes his style up a lot, so listen to a little from each decade.

His first trilogy of Everybody Knows/Gold Rush/Harvest is essential

Then go to his second famous trilogy On the Beach, Tonight's The Night, Zuma

After that his studio stuff declines a bit, still some good albums but nothing essential. Definitely listen to his live albums Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust.

Then if you still want more his late 80s/early 90s trilogy of Freedom Raggard Glory and Harvest Moon.

Also throw in Live at Massey Hall 1971 somewhere, incredible early live album.
>>
File: image.jpg (622KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
622KB, 1936x1936px
>>71336912
Easy,

After the Gold Rush
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
And Comes a Time.

All great Neil Young albums
>>
>>71337068
don't listen to this dumbass

go this way
harvest->everybody knows this is nowhere->after the gold rush->rust never sleeps->on the beach->tonight's the night
then you can go to his later stuff but keep in mind his best period was the 70s

my fav ones are rust never sleeps and on the beach+tonight's the night (a lot darker)
>>
can't go wrong with:

After The Gold Rush
Rust Never Sleeps
On The Beach
Tonight's The Night
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Comes A Time

after those you should check out Debut, CSNY's Deja Vu, the first two Buffalo Springfield albums. I'm also partial to Trans, which is an electric album and some people don't like it, but I think it's solid.
>>
>>71336990
This
>>
also Dead Man soundtrack.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.