[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you really "get" a genre if you weren't around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Can you really "get" a genre if you weren't around (60s hippies, 70s disco, 90s rave etc) or from a country (reggae, Bossa Nova etc)?

Discuss.
>>
Sure, but I think being there probably enriches it to a degree that can't be emulated.

For example, being a teen listening to The Smiths in Thatcherian Manchester is going to change the way you look back on them vs. being a retarded pussy teen in America in 2017.
>>
>>71302052
>Can white people listen to hip hop?
This is how you sound.
>>
>>71302392
Only to you
>>
>>71302392
Not at all. Are you fucking stupid?
Part of listening to music is recognizing its significance at that time. Listening to mozart is not the same as listening to him 500 fucking years ago you fucking dumb niggerdrop rip off.
>>
>>71302432
>>71302477
Stay in school kiddos.
>>
>>71302477
>recognizing its significance at that time
i guess there's no reason to listen to anything but top 40 pop then
>>
>>71302501
Thats not what i meant, at all. I said its a PART of it. And are you saying albums that arent in the top 40 have no significance? Because I'm referring to albums that are actually good. Fucking weeb. Japan DOESN'T WANT YOU
>>
Great discussion guys, guess I'll go spam waifus, frogs and rap then.
>>
>>71302052
I personally have a problem with this. I'm only 19 currently (born in 97) and I really struggle to enjoy most pre-80s music. I can appreciate the significance it had at the time, how it shaped future music, etc. but I rarely find music from that time period that I actually enjoy enough to continue listening to
>>
>>71302052
I like breakbeat hardcore but would loved to experience it at the time in the climate of England back then.
>>
>>71304566
this but also jungle and garage and dubstep too
>>
>>71304508
I mean you like what you like
To say there's nothing you can enjoy before the 80s is silly tho, there's so much music out there man
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.