[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>genre is called post-rock >doesn't sound like rock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Post_rock_essentials.jpg (425KB, 990x1716px) Image search: [Google]
Post_rock_essentials.jpg
425KB, 990x1716px
>genre is called post-rock
>doesn't sound like rock at all
What did they mean by this?
>>
Slint and Swans sound like rock but I see your point, also that Stereolab album isn't even post-rock
>>
>>71267052
Wasn't the whole point of the coinage of that genre to reflect that it was non-rock music played with rock instruments?
>>
>>71267052
Magnog isn't that post rock imo

Good chart tho
>>
>>71267052
Why are the wrong Mogwai and Crippled Black Phoenix albums there
>>
File: essential first wave post rock.jpg (703KB, 1067x578px) Image search: [Google]
essential first wave post rock.jpg
703KB, 1067x578px
>>71267052
Well, it makes sense to me. If prog rock was supposed to push rock forward and beyond the natural conventions of its roots, then post-rock is the natural progression of it. Synthesis of a bunch of different styles of rock which ultimately makes it difficult to categorize it as anything resembling rock, but still is in the end.
>>
Post-rock is an umbrella term referring to the experimental rock bands of the early 90's and 2000's. It's really hard to correctly categorise these bands however because they are so different. Slint sounds nothing like Stereolab, Stereolab sounds nothing like GY!BE, GY!BE sounds nothing like Moonshake, Moonshake sounds nothing like Gastr del Sol, etc.
The situation is similar to the early 70's germany's rock scene where many experimental bands were called krautrock by the british press but these bands sounded nothing alike.
>>
>>71267052
First wave was actually diverse an interesting music, everything that came later is just crescendocore, ie. new age music for suburban midwest teens who think their deep intellectuals cause they read vonnegut once
>>
>>71270148
When does first wave end and second wave begin
>>
>>71270204
Hard to say but the diversity and variety of the first wave kinda ended when GY!BE got famous and made crescendocore hip. I blame them and Soundtracks for the Blind.
>>
File: IMG_1624.png (534KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1624.png
534KB, 750x1334px
Have any of you listened to departure songs? Imo it's very good
>>
>>71270148
>>71270272

>Le first wave is only good post rock
Fuck off contrarian
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.