[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Imagine if he never sold out and continued his creative and experimental

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: LETS.jpg (44KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
LETS.jpg
44KB, 300x300px
Imagine if he never sold out and continued his creative and experimental streak of albums...
>>
oh boy here we go
>>
>>71213895
Then you probably wouldn't have known who he was and wouldn't be making this thread

Good job
>>
Let's Dance wasn't the problem, it's the ones that came after it. Bowie continued to innovate with this album and then people copied him.
>>
>>71213895
Bowie was always a pop musician, Let's Dance to me just feels like him embracing that.
>>
>>71213915
You don't fucking know me, I've known his music like my whole life and knew his 70s output before this record.
>>71213921
The success of Let's Dance certainly fucked with his integrity as an artist, he purposely created an album that pandered to a more common audience of people. He even admitted it himself. His shit albums wouldn't exist without this one.
>>71213939
Don't agree
>>
>>71213895
Why does Bowie look like he's aiming to beat some faggots
>>
>>71213997
>You don't fucking know me, I've known his music like my whole life and knew his 70s output before this record.
>>
File: image.jpg (144KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144KB, 640x853px
>>71213997
>You don't fucking know me, I've known his music like my whole life and knew his 70s output before this record.
>>
>>71213997
No, I mean, the album is what helped him skyrocket into popularity. If he hadn't have made albums like this, Tonight and Never Let Me Down, he probably wouldn't be nearly as well known as he is today.
>>
>>71213915
are you seriously implying that bowie wasn't well known before let's dance
>>
>>71213895
Just pretend Japan's New Wave stuff is Bowie's New Wave stuff instead of his actual New Wave stuff.

This way you elevate both artists to a solid 11/10.
>>
Let's Dance is a great album, though. "China Girl" is my favorite Bowie song too.
>>
>>71214351
That's not even a Bowie song.
>>
He would have ran out of creativity eventually anyways and made the same shitty albums he did after that.
>>
>>71214365
He wrote it with Iggy, so I'd say it's his song just as much. Sure Iggy released a version first, but his take on it was a mess in my view.
>>
>>71213915
fucking what?
>>
>>71213895
autism or bait. saged
>>
>>71213997
>His shit albums wouldn't exist without this one.

You really think he would just continue his Berlin trilogy for the next 50 years and never make a bad album all because he didn't make Let's Dance?
>>
Friendly reminder Scary Monsters was a transitional period for Bowie where he was getting interested in making pop music. Scary Monsters is where he initially started "selling out"
>>
>>71215849
Scary Monsters was really unique, Lodger is where he started getting bored of his experimental phase and went back to pop music.
>>
>>71215983
Lodger was really unique, Heroes is where he started getting bored of his experimental phase and went back to pop music.
>>
>>71213997
What's not to agree with? He even said that he was a pop singer in interviews. What's more, his early albums - David Bowie, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane are for the most part pop albums.
https://youtu.be/FiK7s_0tGsg
>>
>>71213915
I really hope you're joking
>>
File: 1976b.png (1MB, 1280x1014px) Image search: [Google]
1976b.png
1MB, 1280x1014px
>>71213895
rank em boys.
Narrowing on completion.

God tier
>Station To Station
>Blackstar
>Diamond Dogs

Great Tie
>Ziggy Stardust
>"Heroes" *
>David Live !
>The Man Who Sold The World !
>Lodger ! **
>Low
>The Gouster ! > Young Americans *
>Reality !

Very Good
>Aladdin Sane*
>Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)**
>Hunky Dory
>Black Tie White Noise !
>The Next Day**

Good
>Earthling
>No Plan EP
>Space Oddity
>Let's Dance !

Ok...
>Heathen**
>Pin Ups
>Lazarus (Cast OST)

Jesus Why
>Labyrinth

Personas
>Lazarus (Next Day-Blackstar with the addition of No Plan from released from Heaven)
>Thin White Duke (Young American-Station to Station)
>Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin SaneHalloween Jack
>Berlin Bowie
>Jareth, the Goblin King
>Pretentious Bowie (The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust

* Need Revisits
**Haven't Finished
! Criminally Underrated

Have yet to review
>The Buddha Of Suburbia
>Tonight
>Never Gonna Listen To This
>1.Outside
>"hours"
>Nissau
>Toy
>Tin Machine
>Tin Machine II
>>
>>71217159
God tier
>Berlin Trilogy
>Station To Station

Meh tier
>everything up until Station To Station
>Blackstar

Shit Tier
>everything after Berlin Trilogy
>>
>>71217174
Bad tier
>your list
>>
>>71213895
Criminal World is GOAT.
>>
LOL. Let's Dance is literally one of Bowie's best albums. Just because it isn't incredibly experimental, doesn't mean it isn't incredibly well written. By the way, Bowie was never THAT experimental anyway, and the albums he was are very few.
>>
>>71216814
He evolved as an artist and went from being a popstar to making serious art, then he just decided to take a huge leap back and make a generic dance record because his albums weren't making money anymore.
>>
>>71213895
lets dance is my favorite bowie album, is that bad?
>>
>>71215416
>but his take on it was a mess in my view.
>He doesn't like The Idiot
>>
>>71219408
Yes. Have you even heard his others? Besides Ziggy and Blackstar.
>>
>>71219408
Nah it's solid.
>>
>>71213895
But what made Bowie Bowie was that he was always changing his appearance and sound. If he kept making experimental music from the late 70s on, he would have faded into obscurity over time
>>
>>71219662
i honestly didnt like BLKKK STVR, but yes ive listened to all of them. i also unironically liked club bowie
>>
>>71217159
Sounds fun!

God Tier
>Diamond Dogs
>Aladdin Sane
>Heathen
>Black Tie White Noise
>Earthling

Great Tier
>Space Oddity
>Young Americans
>Low
>Station to Station
>Hunky Dory
>Lodger
>Scary Monsters

Good Tier
>Ziggy Stardust
>TMWSTW
>Blackstar
>Heroes

Decent Tier
>Tonight
>Let's Dance
>Reality
>The Next Day
>'hours...'
>Outside
>Buddha of Suburbia

Fuckin Bad Tier
>Debut 67'
>Never Let Me Down
>Anything vaguely tin machine related

It Doesn't Exist-Tier
>That one album from 73....
>>
>>71220083
you missed club bowie
>>
>>71213997
go back in your hole
>>
>>71220307
Remix albums don't fucking count and you know it.
>>
Let's Dance is his best album. What do you mean by this?
>>
>>71220083
Your God tier shows you are contrarian as fuck. Yes those are good albums, but not his best by a long shot. Buddha of Suburbia BTFO his 90s/00s stuff btw.
>>
>>71220414
>but not his best by a long shot
I'm not going by best.

When I say 'god teir' I mean they're my personal top 5.
>>
>>71220459
Okay, you are entitled to your opinion the same as me.
>>
>>71220326
its not remixes, its previously unreleased arrangements crafted explicitly for the club.
>>
>>71220414
>>71220514
Heathen is an underrated god tier album.
>>
>>71220535
>its not remixes
Bullshit. Half of the album tracks say 'remixes'.

If you can find a copy I'll listen to it.
>>
>>71220584
all ive got is my cd version from '03. cant upload cause ive got no pc with a drive. id love to though, sorry
>>
>>71213997
>He even admitted it himself
The first sign of a retard is one that takes everything an artist says at face value. He talked shit about most of his older stuff.
>>
>>71220693
He talked shit about everything all the time. He was a goof ball not to be taken seriously.
>>
File: RussiaIsAwesome.png (25KB, 411x341px) Image search: [Google]
RussiaIsAwesome.png
25KB, 411x341px
>>71220658
I'm using my special streaming website.

It's.....
>>
>>71218481
He even said that he needed to be popular not for popularity sake, but to be able to do other things. I'm not sure if he referred to his Berlin trilogy albums though. My favorite albums of his are The Man Who Sold The World, Low, Heroes, Heathen, 1.Outside, Blackstar.
>>
>>71220536
Reality is better
>New Killer Star
>Pablo Picasso
>Try Some Buy Some
>Bring Me The Disco King
>>
File: 1479585558510.jpg (514KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
1479585558510.jpg
514KB, 1024x681px
>>71215416
>his take on it was a mess in my view
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.