[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do all critics hate metal and prog? Christgau is not at all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 159.jpg (25KB, 280x390px) Image search: [Google]
159.jpg
25KB, 280x390px
Why do all critics hate metal and prog? Christgau is not at all unique in this regard.
>>
They think it's reactionary and that rock music should be the vehicle of youth rebellion/Marxist revolution.
>>
let us not beat around the bush on this one
they simply don't have the quick wits required to process the super dynamic prog and metal intricacies
>>
for the same reason anyone else would? Because they suck?
>>
It takes a specific kind of person to become a pro critic, and they never tend to be the kind that likes prog or metal
>>
>>71208742
Namely you have to look like the typical Starbucks customer.
>>
>>71208742
For one thing, if you've ever voted Republican, you're automatically out.
>>
>>71208541
because it's not cool. and to be cool you don't just have to like what's cool, you need to craft you're identity in complete opposition to what is uncool

metal and prog (and fwiw I'm not a particularly big fan of either), are sincere and at times ambitious genres. they also have obsessive loyal audiences. it'spretty much the opposite of your average milquetoast indie band hiding behind irony and their fans/critics who hop from the next trend to the next

not saying either's better than the other but that's the mindset of the critic
>>
Metal and prog are genres that rely more on sounds than lyrics to tell a story. The problem with music journalism is that it's hard to describe sounds, so all they have to discuss are lyrics.
>>
Metal is aggressive, loud, bombastic, and working class. Most music critics are nu male SJW types who can't relate to metal or its white trash fanbase.
>>
>>71209072
>white trash

Why do you have to be racist?
>>
>>71209072
BTW, Christgau insulted Tom Petty a bunch times for being redneck and writing anti-punk songs even though he's not a metal guy.
>>
>>71208541
Christgau has openly said he doesn't like anything masculine or aggressive because it reminds him of his high school bullies.
>>
>>71209089
if he was racist he wouldn't have specified white trash instead of just whites
>>
File: 1475795254927.png (103KB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1475795254927.png
103KB, 1250x1250px
>tfw not intelligent enough for metal and prog
>>
>>71208742
>christgau
>professional
>>
They don't front like punk does. The type of people that become critics of are generally faggots. They need irony and can't stand people that actually try at what they do. They're very focused on aesthetics. Metal and Prog are masculine genres. Not in the sense of barrel chestedness or being tough, but in their focus on maximalism, speed, and sincerity. These are all things critics hate because they prefer more feminine things. There's nothing wrong with that but they are dismissive of masculinity. That's why young thug got popular with them. He sounds like he doesn't give a shit and he is aesthetics heavy. Someone said music critics love Elvis Costello because they look like him. As much as I love Costello that's too true.
>>
>>71208622
>prog is reactionary
Nigga what is soft machine, pink floyd, king crimson and especially henry cow
>>
>>71209735
>metal
>sincere
>doesn't front
>not obsessed with aesthetics
My fault for falling for what must surely be bait pasta. But christ it needed to be addressed anyway.
>>
>>71209930
Those are all pretty well-received tho, and they're (except PF and kind of CK) pretty commercially unsuccessful heavily influenced by the avant-garde, and critics are usually into that kind of shit. I think OP was more referring to mainstream prog (ELP, Yes) and its modern derivatives, which tends to be more sincere/cheesy, and takes more from traditional classical music as opposed to 20th-century experimental academic music
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.