[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im a hip hop guy but i think dilla is overrated and boring. why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: DILLA_2.jpg (195KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DILLA_2.jpg
195KB, 1000x1000px
im a hip hop guy but i think dilla is overrated and boring. why do you like his music that much?

>music is subjective
yes i know but which specific charecteristics or anything appeals to you
>>
i like some of his production like the stuff on labcabincalifornia but donuts is really overrated and mediocre
>>
>>71167845
never listened desu but yea i think donuts is lightweight stuff idgi how that makes him as he is now
>>
>>71167817
Personally love donuts. I think it's a great album inside and outside the context it was made in
>>
>>71167942
explain?
>>
>>71167997
Well to be honest I'm not quite sure. There's a lot of interesting samples and sounds throughout and it has this really upbeat vibe throughout. Plus i think the context that it was made in really adds to the music itself
>>
Donuts is goat. though desu i didnt fully appreciate it before i started producing. the way he brings those old songs to life is magic, not to mention the sound choices and the production.
>>
correct me if im wrong but i think he made donuts on his deathbed or something
>>
>>71169109
yeah he died 3 days after the release i think
>>
>>71167817
ruined ATCQ's last few albums, excluding thank you for your service
>>
So what do you consider good instrumental hip hop OP?
>>
>>71167845
Donuts and The Shining were great but yeah I do kind of miss the rawness he had in the 90's on there.

>>71169154
ATCQ ruined ATCQ's the last two 90's albums, which brings another point that it's a shame he was producing for groups past their prime not giving his beats justice (save for Busta Rhymes and SV). If he was discovered earlier I wonder how peak Tribe, De La, and Pharcyde would have sound to his beats.
>>
>>71167997

>J Dilla had been diagnosed with an incurable blood disease named TTP in 2002, and he had also been diagnosed with lupus previously. According to close friend and fellow producer Karriem Riggins the impetus for Donuts came during an extended hospital stay in the summer of 2005. Dilla's friends from the L.A.-based indie label Stones Throw came to visit and brought him a Boss SP-303 sampler and a small 45 record player so he could make music while in the hospital. Dilla completed 29 of the 31 songs on Donuts while still in the hospital.[4]
>>
His method of sampling and creating organic rhythms has been a huge boon to the realm of hip hop. But that being said, I was personally never a big fan of him either in terms of jamming to his music regularly.

He made music for many rappers after their prime (exception being someone like Common), and his more straightforward instrumentals like the ones on Donuts aren't anything too special in today's contexts.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.