[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Deathconciousness have as big of an impact as it did if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: a3785639980_10.jpg (498KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a3785639980_10.jpg
498KB, 1200x1200px
Would Deathconciousness have as big of an impact as it did if Dan hadn't lost the masters?

Would TUW have sounded different aswell?
>>
what the fuck are you talking about and why should i care
>>
>Would Deathconciousness have as big of an impact as it did if Dan hadn't lost the masters?
Yes

>Would TUW have sounded different aswell?
No
>>
>>71159696
>Dan lost the master WAV files in a hard drive crash. Because of this, Deathconsciousness' "masters" are sourced from lossy MP3 files.
>>
>>71159613
Why do we care about the masters the album is perfect.
>>
File: viral marketing.png (22KB, 540x397px) Image search: [Google]
viral marketing.png
22KB, 540x397px
>ITT
>>
>>71160000
the album came out almost 10 years ago...
>>
>>71160039
Fuck off Dan.
>>
>>71160000
>posting about music on a music board is viral marketing
Fuck off you fucking retard
>>
>>71159759
I still don't get this.
How do you not keep backups?
At least rip the wavs onto a cd or something
Fuck
>>
>>71159613
>did if Dan hadn't lost the masters?

He never lost the masters. His recording tools were pathetic, and he ended up recording decent music with terrible quality.
>>
>>71159613
I don't give a shit about that, how was it mic'd?

The engineering is more important than the file quality.
>>
>>71160094
kill yourself for reals
>>
>>71159613
It adds to the mystique and aesthetic because the only existing files are low quality/lossy, but the masters still would've been lo-fi as fuck because of how it was made and recorded so it probably wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Dan's somehow gotten worse at mixing though. DC's recording is rough but it works in it's favor. Lately though Dan just layers everything 20 times and then slathers it in ridiculous amounts of reverb.
>>
>>71160526
>reverb
its just the sound of dan's hymen collider
>>
>>71160526
>Lately though Dan just layers everything 20 times and then slathers it in ridiculous amounts of reverb.
His electronic stuff sounds like total garbage.
>>
I don't think the masters made that big of a difference.
The album is abominably produced, and the one surviving 320 track (I think Hunter) doesn't sound any different than the other ones.
That said, the lo-fi sound and ridiculous drums are part of the appeal.
>>
>>71160526
I disagree. Giles Corey is a huge step up from DC, and while TUW has its share of problems I don't really mind because I think he was going for a different sound than DC (more ethereal, less rough) which he did by smothering everything.
I agree about Black Wing though, electronic music should sound crisp. Ended up coming off as HANL b-sides with synths
>>
>>71160286

You're so dense.>>71160286
>>
>>71160872

This. If lossy files from an album produced in GarageBand bother you, the concept's already gone over your head.

[spoiler]DC's the cheapest 10/10 ever made[/spoiler]
>>
>people whine that their lo-fi aesthetic is not hi-fi enough
>>
>>71160904

Overthinking it, in my opinion.

I think Dan's just a complete amateur at music production, (he says so too) and is lucky that some of his records aren't unlistenable. The funny part is, amateurs still get to make brilliant music thanks to those "babbys first DAW"s that /mu/'s always shitting on.
>>
File: master.png (175KB, 585x435px) Image search: [Google]
master.png
175KB, 585x435px
The drums probably would have sounded a bit better and less like tin cans, but overall nothing of note would change.
>>
>>71160681
>>71160904
I loved Black Wing, AOTY 2015 imo. Yeah the album has a lot of reverb but it's part of what he was going for.

>electronic music should sound crisp
This is kind of a silly rule to apply to all electronic music
What about Boards of Canada? Or MPP?
>>
>>71162202
>I ain't gone lie, I lost the master
kek
good mixtape desu
>>
>>71160000

It's arguably the most universally loved album on /mu/, do you really believe everyone praising it here is doing viral marketing?
>>
>>71160039
>>71160286
>>71163012
It's a well known and established fact that Dan viralled his album here back in the day. Doesn't make it a bad album per se, but you've gotta face that at least.
>>
>>71160904
>electronic music should sound crisp.
I disagree, stuff like darkwave fits his style more than what he's trying to do.

When you mix lo-fi music with crisp synths it ends up sounding like crud, you're supposed to put some fuzz/reverb on it, or make it sound exceptionally cold. If it sounds too much like techno then it doesn't blend well with the rest of the vocals/instruments.
>>
>>71163052

>It's a well known and established fact that Dan viralled his album here back in the day

That doesn't have any bearing on whether any discussion of the album nowadays is viral marketing, which is what was originally stated.
>>
>>71160286
>>71163012
the man needs his hot meals
>>
>>71163299

>the man needs his hot meals

Fuck, you caught me. I am Dan Barrett.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.