[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Thread: Good OC Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 65

File: Five Leaves.jpg (247KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Five Leaves.jpg
247KB, 1000x1000px
ITT: we /daily/ or /blog/

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

https://plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/.... >>71129977
>>
DEPORT

YAMIR
>>
File: baech.jpg (74KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
baech.jpg
74KB, 500x375px
bless
>>
File: useless.png (375KB, 660x460px) Image search: [Google]
useless.png
375KB, 660x460px
>>
>>71158537
fascist
>>
File: 1486572772459.jpg (40KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486572772459.jpg
40KB, 720x720px
>>71158584
we'll see about that kiddo
>>
>>71158537
Im not mexican im puertorrican i have american citizenship
>>
@transcore
Still need 2015 recs?
Lightning bolt- fantasy empire
Felix laband- deaf safari
Destroyer- poison season
>>
File: hoterus pls.jpg (154KB, 850x720px) Image search: [Google]
hoterus pls.jpg
154KB, 850x720px
ITT stuff yo listened to because someone compared something yu like to it, dismissively*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUATkpMQ8A

>kinda builds up step by step until the last chorus so it never feels redundant
>gang shouts
>truth be told I'M LYIN'! xD
>the lamest fucking "guitar solo" of all time paired with that pose in the video xDD
>dat sarcasm in general
>catchy as sin but that's kind of a given
i love it, what more could you ask from this kinda sorta thing?

reminds me of Hellogoodbye's early stuff too, which i dig

*actually co idr if that review implied aar was bad but it's how found some real good stuff that i unfairly just didnt feel like bothering with ever like MSI, haven't made a list of what exactly but i shoulda, just for myself, idk

>>71158915
i accidentally closed the topsters tab a while ago lul
>>
>>71158940
Gives You Hell is semi-unironically great. It's fun, at the very least, albeit primarily for nostalgia factor

AAR songs get really dull really quickly though—there's way too much cloying repetition in the singles at least. I'd blanket state that AAR is bad, but I admittedly haven't listened in years

Speaking of trash, I'd rec you Kevin Rudolf. You might actually enjoy him, no joke.
>>
File: 3540584.jpg (58KB, 600x540px) Image search: [Google]
3540584.jpg
58KB, 600x540px
I posted a William Carlos Williams poem on /lit/ telling them it was by Rupi Kaur and have got two pretty funny/ignorant responses so far.

Review of For Philip Guston, let me know if it's of any worth:
While much of the European avant-garde of the 20th century were concerned with the on-paper composition of their music, attempting to progress from the continent's extensive historical background in art – reforming traditional rules of harmony, melody, and notation – many artists in America, with less history to work off, took to turning music into something that was not so much the product of academic construction but an event, or "happening", relying upon chance and natural incidence as much as human intention.

The American avant-garde scene also saw some of the greatest abstract painters such as Rothko and Hofmann. Of course, this music is inspired by Philip Guston who, during his participation in abstract expressionism, worked with a reduced palette to create works that channeled the directional geometry of Mondrian and the ambiguity of late Monet.

These characteristics seem to show up here in Morton Feldman's music to me; the simplicity (or at least sparseness) of the melody and the precision of rhythm and timbre reflect a certain mathematical rigour, but meanwhile the scale of the work (over 4 hours) and the combinations of different time signatures playing simultaneously creates a mist of obscurity over the piece. It becomes a monolith of subtle sound that is balanced almost equally with silence – something that came to be respected with great reverence in 20th century composition – that can fall completely into the background due to its minimal sound, or hold the listener in a strangling trance as each note or chord seems to anticipate the next with extreme tension.
>>
Also what should my 900th RYM rating be?
>>
>>71159366
Sugar Daddy by Joe King Kologbo and the High Grace
>>
>>71159298
hmm i might still try one of their albums someday
>Kevin Rudolf
i'm not sure which commercial this song was in
did he "sample" the crowd from the Faint video?
wayne's verse is just 30 seconds, probably for the best
his voice & technique is complete shit, i'll pass that as "emo influence" i guess
yeah it's my kinda shitty mainstream pop

just like, from the related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY
>we keep it gangsta, poppin bottles at the crib every night
this is the kind of lyric you really come to relate to as you get older
>>
File: Backlog.png (1MB, 2969x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Backlog.png
1MB, 2969x1680px
[1/2]

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
>Psych Rock

First of all - wild that this was a controversial album. Sure, some of the songs are a bit political in nature but they’re all pretty positive overall. Musically, this isn’t too crazy by today’s standards either. It’s poppy, albeit psychedelic rock with a lot of that heavily distorted laser-like guitar tone. Nice vibes on here, with some more upbeat cuts and many darker, acid-y, political ones.

“Hey Frederick” is dope and exactly what I like about this band. It’s basically everything they do well. Grace Slick belting out over thick, psychedelic guitars and such. It feels like a nice little jam session, with pounding piano, crashing drums, etc. It’s heavy without being too overwhelming and psychedelic without feeling cheesy. “Wooden Ships” has kind of the same feeling - there’s that really heavy, psych guitar kind of sound that just blasts through the track and it’s awesome. I suppose it’d be annoying if they did it for a whole album. But at the same time, the normal pop songs are just so bland that they just don’t match up to the peaks on here with that dope guitar.

“Eskimo Blue Day” builds on some of those ideas. There’s a little flute thrown in as well to give what I’m assuming they felt was a mystical feel. It’s a bit cheesy but damn does it work. There’s some very funk-influenced little drum breakdowns that are just great. In addition to all of these heavily psychedelic rock tracks, there’s some pop cuts. “The Farm” feels really quaint, with the group singing about life on in the country. It’s quite positive and comfortable imo. And “A Song For All Seasons” has a cool country twang. Most of them, though, don’t really do much. The first two tracks on here are probably the weakest, not gonna lie.

Shows some stylistic versatility, solid songwriting and some really groovy tunes. Solid overall, even if the first two songs are kind of duds.

3/5
>>
>>71159608
[2/2]

Cat Power - Moon Pix
>Indie Folk, Slowcore

This style of female vocalist has become one of my favorites. Probably isn’t the right word to describe it but “sultry” is the first word that pops into my mind when I hear this. There’s something oddly passionate about a voice like this in the lower registers and I just can’t get enough of it. Cat Power (Chan Marshall) uses her voice to perfectly match the really depressing style of indie folk. In a lot of ways, this album reminds me of Geek the Girl. It feels deeply personal, powerful and just downright depressing.

I’m a sucker for this type of folk, so basically I absolutely loved it. Also, it has a song that incorporates rain, which automatically bumped it a star.

Gonna dive back into this again soon, I can already tell. Probably my favorite so far.

4.5/5
>>
>>71158584
>sdc watches uncommentedpannen
patrician
>>
File: 20170107_153212.jpg (507KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
20170107_153212.jpg
507KB, 1161x2064px
Give me recommendations based on this image
Preferrably EPs because i dont have time for music

Im making a 4x4 chart so please dont give me too many
>>
>>71158584
a jimmy jazz press is a jimmy jazz press. you can't say it's only a half
>>71159631
My friend recommended me that cat power album a while ago. I really should give it a listen.
>>
>>71160123
This isn't an EP, but it's only 30 min so hopefully that's short enough
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alex_g/race/
>>
>>71160123
https://agnf.bandcamp.com/
https://ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/inward-eye
https://advaita2.bandcamp.com/album/sun-of-earth
>>
>>71159308
i like this review, but i feel like maybe you forgot to mention a thing or two. I think it's not that americans didn't have much history to work from, at least not on Feldman's case, but rather that he was fucking tired of everyone being about either Schoenberg or Bach. He said that in an interview i think, and he also expanded saying that on the art scene everyone was doing their own thing, so he got influenced by that (can't speak for indeterminacy as a movement tho). You also mentioned obscurity, but it's more about sadness really. Guston and Feldman had fought hard so they didn't talk to each other, and then Guston dies years later and he gets really sad about it, so it's his way to mourn his death. Good review tho, you explained very nicely how i feel about the composition, props to that
>>
>>71160127
Yeah, I'm probably overrating it because I love that style. But I'd definitely recommend giving it a chance, especially if it sounds up your alley
>>
File: jpg.jpg (1MB, 2041x1680px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
1MB, 2041x1680px
Ulver - Bregtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
[1995]

Nice. Third norwegian black metal record I've listened to and so far they've all been great. This one has a folkier/softer approach, better production and a mix of ethereal and growled vocals; there's even a bit of field recordings on the third track and it's actually overall pretty diverse and eclectic with the instrumentation. Very hyped to hear Nattens madrigal now.

>>
>>71160123
o shit

listen to this https://rateyourmusic.com/release/mixtape/amnesia-scanner/as-truth/
>>
>>71160123
Nana Vasconcelos - Saudades
Andrew Poppy - The Beating of Wings
Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes
>>
>>71160465
Thank you, really great feedback here. Perhaps I'll edit it for more accuracy.
>>
can anyone rec me some psychedelic idm/techno albums like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDa_Jqmuiw&t=1619s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwWFLYglsJM&list=PL00016CABFD8D3EAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvx5ed7Px3o&t=4s
>>
i forgot to mention this but the recs also have to be good

>>71160212
>>71160413
>>71161251
>>71161087
thanks
>>
>>71148440
TOTAL
DOMINATION
>>
File: old chart.png (2MB, 1325x945px) Image search: [Google]
old chart.png
2MB, 1325x945px
which one of you did this >>70393551

also should i finish this old chart i never finished it
>>
>>71162207
classical curves is neato even though I don't love it personally
>>
File: best 2016 albums.png (615KB, 1340x1340px) Image search: [Google]
best 2016 albums.png
615KB, 1340x1340px
>>71162207
no, nothing interesting left
do this instead
>>
>>71162621
what's the last album on the chart?
also the one in the 3rd one in 3rd row looks like grouper's carrying a dead deer up a hill but the picture was taken 10 years prior
>>
>>71162723
Martha - Blisters in the Pit of My Heart
>>
>>71161727
listen to classical curves and ditch it

>>71162621
wtf
>>
File: topsters2.jpg (153KB, 2026x1372px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.jpg
153KB, 2026x1372px
nine more
gimme bleeps

>>71163098
no
>>
>>71163151
Ata Kak - Obaa Sima
>>
>>71163151
Jam City - Classical Curves
%]
>>
>>71163235
jimmy jam city
>>
File: r.jpg (158KB, 488x473px) Image search: [Google]
r.jpg
158KB, 488x473px
>>71163098
>>71162207
o ou
do it...
>>
File: Album Chart.png (2MB, 1186x920px) Image search: [Google]
Album Chart.png
2MB, 1186x920px
>The Necks - Chemist

Unlike most of their albums, this is a multi-track affair that starts right out of the gate with “Fatal”. This track immediately features The Necks’ always stellar drum and acoustic bass combo, establishing a dark, mysterious tone at a steady pace. Organ synths punctuate the open spaces between the steady drum beats like a tuneful morse code. Jets of quiet noise burst in the left and right channels briefly as the piano steadily streams over everything. What sounds like a violin can be heard in the background pensively humming, rising in volume before fading again. The same is done with a heavily distorted guitar. These pieces move in and out of the fray while the drum continues its steady beat. This is one of their most well put-together tracks, with all the elements fitting together perfectly to create quite the hypnotic atmosphere. As the track slowly evolves over the course of its 20 minute run-time, the tempo slowly but surely increases and the aforementioned elements start popping up more frequently. The piano becomes more restless and the noise gets louder, drowning out the steady background beat, until the beat fades out and we are swallowed by the noise. The noise then too fades out and the track ends. It’s an okay ending, not as cathartic as it could have been, but satisfying nonetheless.

(1/2)
>>
>>71163441
The next track, “Buoyant”, opens with some microsound while the drums ever so lightly tap in the background with some bass and piano flourishes gradually added in over time. This is the majority of the track until the drumming gradually increases in tempo and volume and becoming the main focus as the microsound experiments disappear entirely. Then the drumming exits and we are left with a single synth note, the piano, and bass. This track really isn’t all that interesting at all, and is mainly where the album loses points with me. The microsound, while cool on its own, feels way out of place and they really don’t do anything interesting with it.

The final track, “Abillera”, opens slowly with single note acoustic bass plucking for about 3 minutes. Once the bass fades out, heavily distorted piano and heavily reverbed guitar fade in and shimmer for a little bit before ahh there’s that drumming again, always the best part, chugging away at a really odd, almost mathy time signature. This continues for a little while before the drumming fades out and the piano becomes the main focus, playing an incredibly happy, hopeful melody. This continues to the end of the track as everything fades out once again. Another rather uneventful track but more pleasant and cohesive than the previous one.

So by far, the first track is the best, showing off what the band can do within the constraints of minimal, improvised jazz while sounding fresh and not retreading previous ground. The electric guitar was a nice touch, but it’s quite underused in the next two tracks. Overall, I’m a bit disappointed. The energy doesn’t come through on this record like it does in some of their best work. Take Hanging Gardens for example. If this review intrigued you at all, check out that album instead. Still, if you like The Necks, and you haven’t heard this yet, this album is well worth your time.
>>
File: cover.jpg (391KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
391KB, 700x700px
>>71163151
>>
>>71160972
nattens is a lot more repetitive and strictly black metal, but it's still cool. glad u liked bergtatt!

>>71162120
ranking 2017: curated by Rod

btw, is AS' first ep worth a listen too?
>>
>>71163151
deepchord presents echospace - liumin
objekt - kern vol. 3
phuture - acid tracks
dj sprinkles - queerifications and ruins
scuba - fabric 91
herbert - around the house
blawan - what you do with what you have
joe smooth - promised land
sandwell district - sandwell district
terrestre - secondary inspection
avalon emerson - whities 006
joe louis - love of my own
>>
>>71164063
>btw, is AS' first ep worth a listen too?
they've yet to come close to bettering it
>>
File: yers.png (3MB, 1263x1535px) Image search: [Google]
yers.png
3MB, 1263x1535px
will start tomorrow

>>71163218
at first i was like 'wow this looks like a meme' now im like hey this looks kinda cool

the vocals sound very badly recorded

>>71163270
>>71163235
>>71163262
yeah yeah i'll do it

>>71163522
thankyou

>>71163441
>BC comp 2.5
that's what you get for listening to a basic channel comp

also what do you intend to do with all those fish
>>
>>71164063
Angels Rig Hook?
if a 15 minute cosmic radioplay about the ultimate cyber hybrid fusion of humans that goes hard as fuck sounds good, go for it.
yourdicklooksgreatinthoseheels.com
>>
>>71164093
but is it worth listening to

>>71164074
sorry finished the chart before i saw this
>>
>>71164161
as ep
>>
>>71163441
every time you post this chart i get an erection
>>
>>71164190
either one is fine
>>
>>71164146
ye I stick to their EPs now

I intend to become a fish thru immersion
>>
>>71164415
but how much is the fish? %0
>>
>>71164093
>>71164161
>>71164190
I'll just check all their stuff out

and rod is this what you're into?
>>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>71164713
dave who? mustaine? that dave mustaine?
>>
>>71164713
Dave Bowie? :0
>>
File: 1486646550125.jpg (35KB, 642x792px) Image search: [Google]
1486646550125.jpg
35KB, 642x792px
>>71164161
>yourdicklooksgreatinthoseheels.com
>>
>>71164713
what album is that picture referring to?
>>
>>71164713
what dave is it
dave mustaine
dave brubeck
dave (that one minion from despicable me)
>>
>>71164968
Dave & Buster's? :0
>>
>>71164968
all wrong
http://rateyourmusic.com/~dave
>>
>>71164713
dirty projectors? aka david (dave) longstreth
>>
>>71164759
non
>>71164768
nope :0
>>71164787
see bottom
>>71164968
this dave v
>>71165032
yes! winner! next 22ashillion right here folks
>>
File: topsters2.png (3MB, 3228x1740px) Image search: [Google]
topsters2.png
3MB, 3228x1740px
My chart for next month (mostly shit I had in my backlog for a long time and never got around to listen).

Opinions? Recs?
>>
File: when youre fucked up.jpg (54KB, 580x706px) Image search: [Google]
when youre fucked up.jpg
54KB, 580x706px
>>71165427
>Opinions?
fabulous muscles is a fantastic entry point to xiu xiu. it's literally nobody's favorite album by them, once you're done, go for another one of their albums depending on which song style you liked most.

>Recs?
can't really rec you anything if i don't know your opinions!
>>
>>71165427
>great
just got back, hounds of love
>good
fetch, new album
>shit
humility in the light, grandeur of hair
>>
>>71165427
oh also that brave little abacus album is shit
>>
>>71165499
Thanks man. Actually Fabulous Muscles it's the only Xiu Xiu studio album I've haven't heard yet, the new one was fucking awesome btw.

Also, the chart is reflective of my general tastes, so idk, I listen to hip hop and japanese rock mostly.

>>71165514
>>71165537
Well that's sad, I'm hopeful for those albums you mentioned as bad :(
>>
File: Miracle.jpg (731KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Miracle.jpg
731KB, 1000x1000px
are you all excited for my new album/totally new musical project :0 ?

>>71165648
>>
File: Lists Chart 2.png (2MB, 2296x1784px) Image search: [Google]
Lists Chart 2.png
2MB, 2296x1784px
Christian Calon / Chantal Dumas - Radio Roadmovies (2003)
>field recordings, musique concrète

Around halfway through this I realized how sad it was to be sitting alone in the dark listening to field recordings of storms, but whatever, this is cool. It plays out like a movie in a lot of ways. The first disc's setting is very serene and connected to reality, while the second disc's setting is in nature, disconnected from humanity, and the lack of any vocal recordings really drives that home. The first disc contains a lot of interview-esque recordings and some recordings of domestic life, which is more evocative than the storm sounds and nature sounds on the second disc, but the second disc is simply more interesting to listen to. I like the first disc just fine, but it tends to drag on a lot, especially when the speech recordings are presented with no manipulation. The storm sounds are interesting with or without manipulation, but the sparse musique concrète elements add quite a lot. I'm glad I gave this a listen, definitely deserves it's AntiWarhol given cult status.

3.0+

Oomp Camp - We Too Deep (2001)
>southern hip hop, crunk, gangsta rap

I'd probably like this a lot more if it wasn't /reaaaaaly/ repetitive. It starts off fantastically, the beats and the MCs are both on fire, and the aggression is palpable. And then it just kinda repeats the same thing for an hour. It's never not enjoyable, but they play their niche so much that it loses it's impact, and they're much better at gangsta tracks than booze/sex tracks. Fun listen, not much more.

>>
dirty projectors album is bad
like funny bad
>>
>>71165427
i've heard a depressingly low number of albums on there but Blood Visions is one of my favs of all time so I hope you like it.
>>
>>71165692
hey weren't you the guy behind iron? is this similar to that because i might just listen to it

BTW come to the bandcamp threads! we are usually very friendly and will listen to you if youre not a meme genre and listen to other people. we also made a chart recently with the best boys from the threads.

>>71165733
i get sad whenever i've heard almost no albums on a chart
i've heard 3 from there :(

>>71165703
6 albums :|
alcachofa has a god tier opener but then it just turns into what feels like unfinished villalobos demos
>>
>>71165803
>is this similar to that because i might just listen to it
Basically, Miss Miracle is Iron only I take it more seriously. Similar in style, though.
>>
>>71165427
Diary is a great album, haven't heard anything else so i can't give much else of an opinion
>>
>>71165803
i've heard 4 from anon's chart, i haven't even heard hounds of love for chrissake!

and oof, hope alcachofa's at least worth the 70 minutes.
>>
>>71165427
>>71165904
oh yeah diary's cool too, "Seven" and "In Circles" are some of the best '90s emo jamz
>>
>>71165427
The few obvious ones I've heard are good. Recs: where are the /daily/ boys albums tho?

I like how this is just /chart/ these days also...
>>
>>71165723
TMT panned it lol

their review was good actually
>>
File: 1476940247892.png (1MB, 2336x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1476940247892.png
1MB, 2336x1188px
>Einstürzende Neubauten - Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.

Hmm. It's far more immusical (there are "normal" instruments, most prominently the bass, but they are just another sound alongside the mechanical noise rather than actively working to create anything conventional) than their later works. This seems like a mostly textural experience like most trve industrial , and I'm generally not hugely into that sort of thing. The bleak post-apocalyptic atmosphere is nice, but it does not really diversify itself much - or, perhaps, it does, and I just do not really have the ears to appreciate it.

>Steve Gunn - Time Off

It's very inoffensive. The atmosphere lacks any of the rustic Americana charm he's trying to channel from the likes of Fahey and Basho. I'm not really feeling the "psychedelic" nature of this album either, bar the final track. On the topic of that last track, I feel like Gunn would be better off exploring that Indian influence than he is sticking with a more traditional folk sound. I think Gunn could make something good if his sound were more refined, but this album is a dud - not terrible, but it's very bland and forgettable. The cello ended up being my favorite part.

Kanzler owes me an album with less than 100 ratings on RYM, as does tripup
>>
>>71166282
Satchmo, more like TRASHmo
>>
>>71166266
i think they gave it too much credit actually
>>
>>71165733
>>71165904
>>71165926
>>71165986

Thank you boys.
>>
>>71164146
>Plan B
FIRE
>>
>>71166312
the singles weren't THAT bad from my memory, it seemed worth a 2.5 (by tmt standards) if everything was around that quality... are the non-singles that bad?
>>
>>71166282
oh shit
you'd probably hate telstar drugs so
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eiafuawn/birds_in_the_ground/
>>71166381
yeah, actually,
the songwriting is consistently generic alt r&b and the production is consistently generic glitch pop with even MORE pop and wackiness
>>
mfw all these peaks of music moments i need to listen to
>>
File: 1481524463603.png (152KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1481524463603.png
152KB, 500x282px
>>71166479
>mfw zane has no face
>>
>>71166381
>>71166411
but "little bubble" and "i see you" are decent
can't stand the pitch-shifting though
maybe tmt nailed this one
>>
File: IMG_1635.jpg (71KB, 800x942px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1635.jpg
71KB, 800x942px
I've done something autistic. I can't say much but I'm working on a long project. Wrote a very long thing about a very long thing almost nobody heard
>>
>>71161407
ok It wasn't Bach but Stravinsky, sorry for that mistake, here's the quote

>In my youth, for example, it was either Schoenberg or Stravinsky. One or the other. And yet, there were hundreds of other composers during that period as well.

and the context of that was more about how it's either Stockhausen or Cage, so yeah sorry for that mistake. Btw if you liked that one check out Patterns in a Chromartic Field. This one is more obscure in tone and really interesting too. Not as good as For Phillip Guston but it's a very good listening. Also what was the score man?
>>
>>71166501
please never post this image ever again it made me cry
>>
still havent listened to the new Sunkilmoon, for some reason just the thought of listening to 2 hours of that pisses me off
>>
>>71166495
id say so but i'd have to listen to the whole thing
>>
>>71166539

I haven't even listened to Benji
I haven't listened to Red House Painters either, now that I think about it
>>
File: yers.png (2MB, 1263x1535px) Image search: [Google]
yers.png
2MB, 1263x1535px
>moomin - time circle
solid deep house ep, first song is kinda uninteresting but loop no. 1 makes up for it. last song is basically a hip hop instrumental, i'll drone your 5 favorite albums if you rap a verse over it

>>71165892
i'll make sure to check it out soon. ran out of space in my chart :(

>>71165986
/daily/ has always kinda been /chart/ desu

>>71166282
those are some amazing round restrictions omg

>>71166501
did you draw this

>>71166539
no one should ever listen to 2 hours of sun kil moon, let alone one hour
>>
>>71166772
>no one should ever listen to sun kil moon

FTFY
>>
>>71166606
You should really give Down Colorful Hill a listen as it's by far the best RHP album. Everything else they did save for few songs on Rollercoaster is entirely forgettable.
>>
^speaking of down colorful hill
this is the worst rym review in existence

https://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=11687589
>>
>>71166978
i have never seen a more inauthentic paragraph
>>
File: 1462927795858.jpg (602KB, 895x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1462927795858.jpg
602KB, 895x1082px
>>71166772
Good chart image
>>
>>71166772
>no one should ever listen to 2 hours of sun kil moon, let alone one hour
stop this meme
ghosts of the great highway is amazing
>>
>>71166978
I had to read this like 5 times to try and figure out what it was trying to say and i'm still confused.
>>
File: im a train now.jpg (98KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
im a train now.jpg
98KB, 500x333px
>>71166872
correct

>>71166978
what did he mean by this
i dont really care too much for that album but what the hell is going on

>>71167026
yanka has some cool images, i wish there were more high quality versions of some of them

>>71167061
>stop this meme
no
>>
File: Esther_pigger.jpg (94KB, 640x861px) Image search: [Google]
Esther_pigger.jpg
94KB, 640x861px
>>71166282
I enjoy my pic a lot

>>71166978
12 Reasons Why White Men Shouldn't Write Sad Music
>>
File: jordaaan mason.png (625KB, 898x670px) Image search: [Google]
jordaaan mason.png
625KB, 898x670px
8 years ago this person made my favorite album and now he's uh

rate jordaan mason's ass
>>
>>71167427
>Crywank
:0
>>
>>71167427
>now he's uh
he's a still great (though his music has never lived up to divorce lawyers)

p cute butt
>>
File: Casio_F-91W_terrorist-009.jpg (151KB, 940x576px) Image search: [Google]
Casio_F-91W_terrorist-009.jpg
151KB, 940x576px
>>71167234
>12 Reasons Why White Men Shouldn't Write Sad Music
im a white man and heres why women and colored people dont like this music: the review
>>
File: concerned_zaius.jpg (22KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
concerned_zaius.jpg
22KB, 320x213px
does a cuckold/bully porno exist where Q fucks Vash while Picard watches?

it seems so obvious
>>
>>71167510
i've listened to about 0 songs he's made outside of divorce lawyers

>>71167541
dad used to wear one of those...

>>71167612
not to my knowledge
let us know if you find it
>>
>>71167670
>i've listened to about 0 songs he's made outside of divorce lawyers
most of the albums he makes now a lo-fi bandcamp-core indie folk. Decent if you really just like his songwriting style, but otherwise they leave a lot to be desired.
Form Less, his latest release, was probably the best of these.

The closest he's come to recapturing that old energy of Divorce Lawyers is The Decline of Stupid Fucking Western Civilization.
>>
>>71165926
suck my nuts tomorrow's modern boxes is pretty good
>>
>>71164511
it's a decent summary. i do like a lot of droney folk stuff as well.
>>71164776
>>71165427
fetch is good
>>
File: 116401253.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
116401253.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
Jacques Brel - Olympia 64
>Chanson

Poetically enunciated chanson singing and speaking over a veritable assortment of stereotypically European-seeming instrumentation and kitschy orchestration. The opera singer-sounding bastard’s damn near got a circus following him around with all those horns, bagpipes, accordion, (chiming which at this rate must be glockenspiel,) and what faintly sounds like theremin. He’s slick, and maybe even charming. The live recording quality is kind of variable. Sometimes it gives him an epic boost, sometimes it breaks the immersion.

I guess I’m a fan, but I definitely won’t be returning to this any time soon. At least it was quick and relatively painless.

6-/10
>>
just finished Fishmans - Kuchu Camp... REALLY liked it, 4.5/5. baby blue is a 10/10 song
>>
>>71160123
Zoo Kid - UFOWAVE
Unless you've heard it already
>>
>>71168332
woops forgot me trip
>>
goodnight daily

>>71168342
is it as good as king krule s/t
i'll give it a shot sometime
>>
File: Lists Chart 2.png (2MB, 2296x1784px) Image search: [Google]
Lists Chart 2.png
2MB, 2296x1784px
Alice Coltrane - Huntington Ashram Monastery (1969)
>spiritual jazz, avant-garde jazz

If this is considered one of her weakest, I must be in for something insane when I listen to the rest of her stuff. I've never really cared much for harp in jazz, but Coltrane uses it more for texture than for anything else, which adds a really cool dream-like element to a lot of the tracks alongside Ron Carter and bass and Rashied Ali on drums, which is a fucking insane combination. Some of the tracks are very aimless and structureless, which is occasionally a detriment, but the instrumental performances are tight as hell and they embrace this lack of structure, making for a really damn good album.

3.0+
>>
>>71168332
>baby blue is a 10/10 song
FUCK yes.

Kuchu Camp is where a lot of people start to fall off and say, "ehh...I don't really care for much before Long Season." And stop gonig into their discog, which is totally understandable if you don't like their earlier sound. I would stress going backwards through their discog, and perhaps even trying out a non-98.12.28 live album given that you liked it so much.

Baby Blue, along with Daydream is a song I wish got a proper live expansion along with all their other best songs. There is a live version of Baby Blue for TV, but you can tell it's pre-recorded, and Shinji is super off in that version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiJep47Ke2M

>>71168420
get out
>>
>>71168432
supersilent 6 is good, so is gastr de sol

that Li Jianhong record looks really interesting, will definitely be checking that out
>>
~ATTENTION /DAILY/~~

im going to try to do one of those chart things people do, like >>71159608.. idk how long ill make it. im going to listen to stuff picked by u ppl thats on my backlog https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/zzane/r0.0

only 2 picks allowed per person, and it must be something from my backlog
>>
>>71168653
listen to
smog - kicking a couple around and
nara leao - dez anos depois
>>
>>71168653
coolio
listen to Dadawah - Peace and Love & Max Roach - We Insist!
>>
>>71168653
>LONG SEASON '96~7 96.12.26 AKASAKA BLITZ
>The Third World
do these

I want you to do others like Bad Timing and Fly, Fly My Sadness but I'm positive someone else will rec them so I'll rec two I don't think would get chosen by anyone else.
>>
File: 1457717304148.png (1MB, 2336x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1457717304148.png
1MB, 2336x1188px
>Die Goldenen Zitronen - Das bißchen Totschlag

This band is pretty weird, it's like Monks meets early Wire meets Gang of Four. The songwriting is a bit repetitive but it's surprisingly good, I was expecting something like fucking Rammstein knowing transgod. Seitdem der Krieg ist was my favorite track.

>Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns

This is actually the first Joni Mitchell album I ever listened to, it's pretty nice. It's a bit over the top at times though; I think Joni's voice can be a bit much and the arrangements are sometimes strange in a wanky not-good way.

Pretty good for A FUCKING LEAF, but not as good as the other one

transgod owes me an album with less than 100 ratings on RYM!
>>
>>71168750
>LONG SEASON '96~7 96.12.26 AKASAKA BLITZ
im planning on just listening straight through this chart im making, but im going to sneak in a relisten to 98.12.28 before i get to this
>>71168703
not sure how excited i am for smog, it's short though. i really hope i like dez anos depois
>>71168737
good picks (i think)
>>
>>71168653
Nice. Do:

Blackout - Dreamworld

Lisa Germano - Geek the Girl
>>
File: Black History Month.png (3MB, 1996x1558px) Image search: [Google]
Black History Month.png
3MB, 1996x1558px
Jazz section was dope but it's over. Who here hyped for /reggae/?

Sonny Sharrock - Ask The Ages

If you want the furious guitar work of In A Silent Way or Inner Mounting Flame, the drumming from Trane’s classic quartet and Pharoah Sanders ripping it up on sax - this is the album for you. For the most part, it's terrific. At times though, it can be a bit much, as the band kind of meanders a bit on the longer tracks, “As We Used to Sing” and “Many Mansions”. As with Inner Mounting Flame, it gets too proggy and show-offy. Not a huge downside, I'm just not a big prog guy.

But man, when this band clicks, they make some killller tracks. The first two tracks are magnificent and “Little Rock” is really just solid. The closer, “Once Upon a Time” is the definite standout though. It has some of the coolest, most passionate guitar playing I’ve heard in jazz. It’s electric but has a really spiritual uplifting feel. Elvin Jones is just going nuts on the drums, with these polyrhythmic african-sounding rythms. Sanders is just belting out on the sax. And Sharrock shreds it on the guitar, with that laser-y, precise tone. It's like a lighter version of the Jefferson Airplane psychedelia and it's magnificent. I can't praise this song enough, it's beautiful, astounding.

Great overall, despite some duds.

3.5/5
>>
>>71168542
it's super cool, definitely give it a listen. I'm hyped for supersilent.

>>71168653
jungle spliff
reggae is here once again
>>
>>71169268
>Who here hyped for /reggae/?
I am! :^D
>>
>>71168653
Venetian Snares - Rossz csillag alatt született
Yves Tumor - Serpent Music
>>
>>71168653
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing
>>
>>71169332
Nice! I'm looking forward to the Scientist and all the roots albums honestly. No idea what to expect in the rocksteady category but I'm intrigued
>>
File: koi-au.jpg (200KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
koi-au.jpg
200KB, 1000x1000px
Just popping in to give a rec.
If you're looking for some very technical, relaxing, extremely musically proficient acoustic music, it's hard to do much better than this. Hawaiian folk, mixed with lots of other genres.

It's pretty moody and melancholy at parts, and when it's happy it's not so happy that it's annoying.
>>
>>71169155
>>71169276
>>71169485
>>71169663
nice stuff

still looking for more though (dont rec if you already have)
>>
Listening to '77 Live for the first time. Not sure if I like it all that much.
>>
>>71168653
Do Unit Structures and Repent!

>>71168757
fug
>>
>>71166978
>down the colorful hill
THAT's where i draw the line
>>
>>71169823
To add to this: If you're a fan of early Nick Drake there might be a lot for you to like here.
>>
>>71170123
Although it is really making me laugh because of how ridiculous the noise gets at certain points.
>>
While you were out partying, I was studying the blade
>>
>>71170214
heh... while you were studying the blade, i was studying the blade...
>>
>>71166978
I have no idea what's going on here, jesus.

>>71169823
>main genre of slack-key guitar
>only 4 ratings on RYM
>no track listing on RYM

This is some obscure shit anon. Does look like it could be cool though. Thanks!

>>71170123
Did you at least like those first two tracks?
>>
>>71170200
The extended noise sections are designed to negatively reinforce dissenting thoughts as you read Marxist literature alongside the album, but you're a fucking amateur so you probably didn't even do that.
>>
How to kill myself? I wanted to do it today, but it's harder than I thought it would be.
>>
>>71170239
First one was eh, second was really good. These songs would be better off at half their respective lengths imo.
>>
>>71169823
Do you have a DL link by chance?
>>
>>71170287
Just keep posting on 4chan for about 55 more years and let nature run its course.
>>
>>71170319
No, I stream spotify. Liked it so much I picked up a cd for 15 bucks for the car and stuff

Can't imagine there would be a dl link, it's not super popular
>>
>>71170814
rip the cd ya goof
>>
>>71170843
it's being shipped ya goof

just do the stream thing.
>>
>>71168420
>is it as good as king krule s/t
Overall, no, a couple of weaker tracks, but it also his his best song to date. Highly recommended, it's basically necessary if you like king Krule at all
>>
>>71170814
Okay cool, I can check it out on Spotify then!
>>
heres what i have so far for my first chart thing, wont let me upload the pic for some reason so https://i.gyazo.com/53255e7d6292d799d5a403f73b623916.png

looking to get another row or two but ill cut it off when i stop getting recs
>>
>>71168653
even oxen - arrayed above the seraphim lights
waka flocka flame - flockaveli
>>
>>71170969
Hope you like it. "E Niki Ka Hele", "Reunion", "Koi", and "Makani" are the standout tracks. Super warm and profound, tender and intricate songwriting. Good sleeping/driving music.
>>
>>71171200
You shouldn't sleep and drive
>>
>>71171167
>even oxen - arrayed above the seraphim lights
[2]
>>
>>71171228
i am a free soul
>>
:{}

>Pierre Boulez - Complete Works Opp 1-31
I could never say with certainty that I don't feel these tracks are "fleshed out" because they clearly are, and pretty much everything on this compilation is enjoyable, but I just wish it wasn't comprised entirely of 30 to 2-minute tracks. Maybe others would find more enjoyably of the separateness of this aspect, but personally, this is why I enjoyed the performances on Neue Wiener Schule: Die Streichquartette much more (though, the only composer in common of the two is Anton Webern, and the later is more eclectic and the two aren't even very comparable. What a shit comparison).

>Nicolas Collins - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
Holy FUCK this is A.MA.ZING. Flawless through-and-through and probably one of the best modern classical albums ever.
EXCEPT. The fourth fucking track, "Tobabo Fonio". It's not even terrible, it's just so abbrasive and much less enjoyable than anything else on here. I can totally see it being THAT track preventing me from liking it as much as I otherwise would. I would recommend everyone try this out because every other part is fantastic, and maybe you'll enjoy Tobabo Fonio more than I do, but it pretty much ruined an otherwise flawless album for me.

>Dadamah - This Is Not a Dream
I'd listened to the album rather than the compilation over a year ago, but this felt pretty much as consistent. It's basically an extended track listing from the original album. I don't care for Roy Montgomery's solo stuff, but this shows he has some very satisfying guitar work to show. "Prove" kinda sucks but otherwise bready neat.

>Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock & Jack DeJohnette - Changeless
Much more digestible, full, and overall slightly better than The Köln Concert. "Endless" was for sure the standout track, with "Ecstasy" coming at a close second. Maybe not for you if you're looking for a jazz album with any stand out moments whatsoever, but enjoyable nonetheless.
>>
>>71171468

>Ennio Morricone - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo
Thought I was going to hate it merely because its style is so often parodies/ripped-off, and while I think this might be a barrier for some people, I found this soundtrack to be pretty enjoyable. Sure it has some less-than-stellar tracks (I'm lookin' at you "Marcetta senza speranza") but otherwise, the opening and two closing tracks are fantastic. Rarely do I review a soundtrack I haven't seen the original source material of, but I should probably actually watch this lmao.

>Brian Wilson - s/t
A mixed bag, but I think anyone who enjoys a great deal of Beach Boys stuff should be able to get a great deal out of it. "Love and Mercy", "Rio Grande", and "Melt Away" are all as catchy and inventive as most stuff on Smile, and are good pop songs I'm sure most of you and your grandmas could enjoy. Afraid to go any further into his discog based on how much I disliked his new album, but "That Lucky Old Sun" and his Gershwin covers seem promising.

>Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued
If you start your career off with fucking "Hot Buttered Soul" I imagine it can only go down from there. Every track in here minus the opener and closer are good soul, but nothing super fulfilling like I'd expect it to be.
>>
>>71171485

>Steve Reich - Works: 1965-1995
The reason I took a few-day break from posting a chart update: This is 10 fucking discs. While there's plenty on here I'd be a sucker to hate on like "Music for 18 Musicians", but one thing inparticular urked me about this.. It was the fact that the most striking repetitive on here wasn't from any of the individual pieces, but throughout his career as a whole. Seriously, even though I usually find myself enjoying composers like Phillip Glass much less, I at least know that I'm usually in for some kind of a surprise. Reich, I would argue, starts to get old really fucking fast. The guy has very few ideas in minimalism, and everything he creates outside of the genre does nothing interesting in the sampling aspect as a whole, and his whole career can be summed up as "worse versions of MF18M or Clapping Music but with more instruments." Maybe Reich mega-fans would get a bigger kick out of this than I did, but I got sick of his shtick really fast.

>Parquet Courts - Human Performance
Yeah it's okay, but why the hell is it so repetitive. Is not expanding a song's ideas at all what today is considered "dissonant"? Fuck that shit. A really bad example of modern post-punk that tries to recreate any element of the past. Just feels like lazy indie rock.

>Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Considering this is a "post-punk" classic I'd expect I'd really enjoy it, but honestly I felt it was more akin to 80s pop music. Hardly anything "post-punk" or "neo-psych" is on here. The melodies on here are okay, but really nothing to write home about. "The Killing Moon" is an okay track, but everything else here just feels like lazy 80s-jangle. Blaugh.

I would say "what next" but file uploads aren't working for me rn. Can someone post a meme to prove that they still work?
>>
>>71171511
>Can someone post a meme to prove that they still work?
No.
>>
>>71171511
No.
>>
>>71168653
NEED ONE MORE PERSON TO REC
>>
>>71171511
No.
>>
>American Music Club - Mercury
I'm honestly pretty divided on whether this band is really good or not. Half the songs on here are really cool collages of a bunch of different sounds mixed together in a chaotic way that somehow works. Especially in the first half there's ton of cool guitar distortion with lots of interesting instrumental flourishes. The singers voice is both amazing and awful at the same time. It's like he starts off a song singing in one way that's really enjoyable and then halfway through he switches it up and it sounds terrible. The middle of the album has a pretty noticeable drop in quality, but it picks up again towards the end. The are so many great ideas on here that even though some of them fall flat overall it's an worthwhile listen.
6/10
>>71168653
Destroyer - Kaputt and Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
>>
>>71171511
>>Can someone post a meme to prove that they still work?
>>
>>71171511
>not enjoying Echo & the Bunnymen
you continue to astound me with your shitty taste

also
>memes not working
>>
>>71171566
where is "co"

https://youtu.be/VD8mjrq4vjw

HOLY FUCK THIS IS SO GOOD
>>
(insert cute good night pig

§:8|) zzzz
>>
The Beatles - Abbey Road

>Pop Rock

Certainly one of the strongest Beatles albums. It has a very clean, clever sound to it, that sounds very fresh especially when compared to most of the previous Beatles albums. Structurally, it's extremely polished. There a couple things holding it back, though: a few very underdeveloped songs, and some very awkward outros and transitions. Now, being awkward isn't necessarily a bad thing, but being awkward and unconfident about it is. Not quite as good as Revolver, but it's certainly up there.

>3.5/5

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/FollowingLeader/daily/

I would post the chart but my internet can't handle it right now
>>
the new Thundercat is very good sometimes, but it's super inconsistent. Sounds like a mix of Homeshake and Earwolf podcast intro music.

3/5, I'd recommend some tracks but not the whole thing
>>
>>71171614
hell yeah

even better as the closer to the album
>>
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch (1964)
>Avant-garde jazz
This album has such a swagger to it that I just absolutely adore. One of the most fun jazz albums I've ever heard. My only complaint is that the title track wonders off into nowhere about halfway through and is a bit underwhelming. Besides that, great.

Les Rallizes Denudes - '77 Live (1991)
>Noise rock, psychedelic rock
Okay, I was a little too harsh on this at first. It just felt like a huge gimmick at first that people latched onto just because it's 'different'. But after a while I started to get mesmerized by the noise and catchy bassline combo. Definitely a very interesting listen, but the songs were too simple to justify their run time. This might grow on me though, who knows. I'll have to revisit it later.

M.I.A. - Kala (2007)
>Electropop, UK hip hop
This album is full of catchy tunes. "Bird Flu", "Boyz", and "20 Dollar" had amazing instrumentals and beats, and the children rapping on "Mango Pickle Down River" had so much charm that it's sort of hard to hate. My biggest complaint here is that last track "Come Around" was very weak and "Paper Planes" would have made the PERFECT closer. It sums up the album and gives off the "this is the end of the record" vibe.

Don't worry fish, I'll do Flood tomorrow.
>>
>>71172485
if it's not Flood by TMBG, I ain't interested.
>>
File: faust.png (519KB, 591x903px) Image search: [Google]
faust.png
519KB, 591x903px
>>
>>71173203
images work again wew.

night
>>
>>71173210
but its morning you fuckin idiot
>>
>>71166282
What have you heard from their later works?
Glad I made it through, next rec is Crash Worship - This if you haven't heard it
>>
Anyone like Gillian Welch and her genre of music? Discovered her a few weeks ago and I'm hooked with her songs. Kind of like country but sad and really good guitar play.

Can't even post the album cover, but it's Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYG-Nh_AxU
>>
>>71173340
Gillian is wonderful. She's in the Townes Van Zandt trend of country music, which people have taken to calling "Alt-country" and "Americana". Check him out for similar.

Steve Young & Songs: Ohia also come to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFbSqoA-qw

It pulls a bit from Appalachian folk, so you can check that out too. Doc Watson is probably my favorite from that genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWaFnFefTc

Great stuff.
>>
File: tourney6.png (2MB, 3136x1996px) Image search: [Google]
tourney6.png
2MB, 3136x1996px
matchup 6!

>Erasmo Carlos - Carlos, Erasmo
a nice selection of funky and exotic songs. i preferred the groovier bits however, the rest of it was alright.
favorite tracks: de noite na cama, dois animais na selva suja da rua, mundo deserto
6/10 neutral +

>Suzanne Ciani - Buchla Concerts 1975
wonderful woobly woobs. got tron vibes from all the nice arpeggios.
favorite track: concert at wbai free music store
7/10 i like this

co wins this matchup! thank you pom for participating!

i'm really excited for the next matchup, pianos all around
>>
>>71173448
how tf did you post this
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (64KB, 657x813px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
64KB, 657x813px
test
>>
>>71166978
>>71167021
well that/s presumptuous/doesn't matter if what you say is interesting, and that sure was. the same guy also gave a (waay too short) review of the first Attack Attack! album, i feel like his point about it might have been similar so. hmm. i guess that just made me like RHP, would have to listen to it again
enjoyed reading that anyways

>>71167427
ic he's got one of those meme ballsholders idk if they have a memey name too
rather solid ass anyways

>>71168757
hmm you like zany slavic stuff don't you?
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/won_james_won/вoиня_вeзyмия/

>>71165692
if this is the culmination of your noise project does that mean you're gonna drop that shit and start making real music now?

>>71168653
>correct Dolden project not listed
Sds tho
>>
https://skingraftrecords.bandcamp.com/album/synchromysticism
they did not go liturgy on me but the first few seconds made me think they went djent
i don't like the new guitar tone nearly as much, just sounds like orthrelm now
i dont think they ever wrote a song that felt this linear
i'm not super excited for the album
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUplxePolH4
glitch is one thing, this feels like i'm skipping through the track, especially the feature
i find myself doing that sometimes, just skipping to or replaying standout moments, so that's pretty meta i guess
good idea, i'm gonna check out the lp eventually
>>
>Error upload failed

hiro putting your 4chan pass dollars to good use
>>
>>71174287
bully
but r u ok u made 5 poste or more wtf
>>
GOD TIER
>bisexual male

HIGH TIER
>homosexual male
>bisexual female

MEH TIER
>heterosexual female
>homosexual female

SHIT TIER
>heterosexual male

KILL YOURSELF TIER
>asexual female
>asexual male
>>
>>71175516
>/daily/baiting
>>
>>71174332
>well that/s presumptuous/doesn't matter if what you say is interesting, and that sure was.
what did u mean by this
>>
>>71175347
THIS SHAME IS DEFINITELY A FAGGOT
*DENGELDENGELDENGELDENGEL*
AND MY LIVER SLOWLY DRIES UP

>>71175836
i'm saying it does sound like vague bullshit especially towards the end, but i liked it so i dont mind
idk if i got it though, he said it's about mark embracing that he failed at what society expected him/boys to achieve, especially before a certain age, and by doing that, he/they *might* recognize those goals are just socially constructed and don't have to matter to you
>>
>>71176135
>It is, surely, a male-centric view, of MEN not being loved for who they are. Somehow it manages to tackle all of this white-male self-confident persona, and its oppressive character, but it doesn't approach it by violent denial, but with humble acceptance of failure according to ITS OWN TERMS of success. As such, it reproduces the system of male-centered society.
this is the part of the review i have the most issue with. the album deals with depression/isolation/nostalgia and other themes that are fairly universal. like obviously the music is colored by the identity of the person writing it, but none of the themes in DCH are explicitly 'white' (?) or male. the overarching part of what he's saying, like you mentioned, makes sense but his emphasis on the music having strong overtones of explicitly 'male' aspirations really rubs me the wrong way personally
>>
>>71176269
well i'm the oppressor and so society is white male defined for everyone else i guess? so i just blinded that out or something because i have no idea what sociology class the guy took, but i get you too

i'm becoming critical of people critical of social justice rhetoric out of sheer annoyance with 4chan i think lmao
>>
>>71166512
I gave it a 3.5/5. It would be a four but for me personally, the length isn't strongly justified.

Also, thanks for the recommendation and the information, very interesting stuff.
>>
>>71175516
termi pls go

>>71172485
good 77'score
>>
File: smug self satisfaction.png (81KB, 167x238px) Image search: [Google]
smug self satisfaction.png
81KB, 167x238px
>>71176458
the wording of this post is deliberately messy and contrived to illustrate the fact i dont know what im talking about
>>71174332
the wording of that post is deliberately messy and contrived to fuck with you and everyone who replied "i dong get it"
>>
File: lists chart.png (3MB, 1680x1800px) Image search: [Google]
lists chart.png
3MB, 1680x1800px
Ricardo Villalobos - Alcachofa (2003)
>microhouse, minimal techno

Never have I heard an album that suffers more from just not going absolutely anywhere. Villalobos is a great producer with a lot of great ideas and beats, but every single track here goes over seven minutes when absolutely none of them have any right to. None of them have any real progression whatsoever, what you hear at the start is what you get. It is really cool how each track flows into each other like a DJ mix, and the tracks are perfectly fine, but the fact that every single track has about four or so minutes of pointless fluff /really/ drags down the experience.

2.5-

i must say, i like that i've finally conditioned myself to listening to longer albums without wanting to kill myself
>>
File: Freeform Chart 6.png (82KB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart 6.png
82KB, 1560x720px
oopsie meant to post this last night

btw, i watched manchester by the sea, really really good. affleck was stunningly subtle and slow-burning, and it's shockingly really damn funny. shame that he's supposedly a creep and such

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca (2009)
>indie pop, progressive pop, art pop

I honestly expected to be irritated by this a lot more than I actually was. It's got some irritating characteristics to it, mainly because Longstreth's vocals are very hit or miss, but it's mostly just middle of the road indie pop. There are some nice melodies here and there, and "Useful Chamber" is a legitimately great song, but nothing else here is really remarkable in any way, it's just generic pop with some quirky, occasionally irritating, elements thrown in sometimes for good measure.

2.0+
>>
>>71177077
My friend watched it and he said it made him want to shoot himself in the kneecap
>>
>>71177092
out of boredom or what lmao
>>
>>71177111
I don't even know, he just said it was just flat-out bad.
>>
>>71177111
also nice didgits
>>
File: Freeform Chart 6.png (100KB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart 6.png
100KB, 1560x720px
The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton - Irony Is a Dead Scene (2002)
>mathcore

Instrumentally it's alright, they focus a bit too much on slower, clean passages which they don't do very well, but the frantic metalcore is nice, as usual. Patton isn't terribly irritating, because his rough vocals fit very well with the heavier sections, but I really, really, /really/ don't like his vocals in the clean sections, they're already boring but he just drags them down further than I thought they could even go.

2.0+

>>71177125
it's slow and somewhat uneventful, i can see why someone would hate it.

>>71177141
check em
>>
>>71173340
>>71173340
I listened to time- the revelator not long ago, it's really nice. I should relisten to it, and find more like it.
If you enjoy that, you should hear
Lambchop- is a woman
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RiUkO7La3I

>three nihon meme musicians
>all improv
>tiny room

is this is the conclusion of music
>>
>>71177077
>Useful Chamber
hmm, i'm convinced your "irritating" is the same as my "fun" (diedrich diedrichsen spoke highly of them too) but this felt just "there" even when it got loud all of a sudden. glad i didn't miss out i guess
that new single's better even
>>
>>71177623
which new single? I kinda like the first one they put out for the new album bc it got a shit ton of play on Sirius' college station.
>>
>>71177707
that one >>71174521
>>
>>71177217
I personally love Mike Patton's vocals on that record, find them so exciting and varied
>>
File: 55-elg.jpg (43KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
55-elg.jpg
43KB, 300x300px
i think i have a 'mancrush' on GZA from the wu tang clan
>>
I’m so fucking sick of people on here acting like long albums are inherently weaker, and have an obligation to justify their length to you. Almost every review of a long album here starts inside of a hole and ponders whether it was able to climb out, as though it’s very existence inconveniences you. As though anything over 45 minutes triggers your instant gratification alarm and automatically gets a point deducted. As though one 2 hour album has to be as good and different as 3 seperate 40 minute albums from different artists. As though you’re sacrificing something by giving an artist more time than is usually required of you, despite the fact that you may have already rationed five or six LP-length's worth of time in a listening session without moaning about length. Does there have to be 6 vastly different mini albums compacted in there to keep your retarded ass intrigued? Have you become so ADD-riddled that only EP’s and short albums maintain your attention, or is it so you can add more superficial numbers to your RYM ‘score’ to give the appearance you’ve consumed more of the medium, and thus acquired more knowledge? Is this a natural side effect of consuming music at a high pace; the desire to be done with one piece of music so you can retire it forever and move on to the next? If a 3-hour compilation album has a defaultively lower starting score than a 20-minute EP, are you even interested in musical discovery at that point, or elitism and completionism?

If every song is an 8/10 and you give the album a 6 because it’s “long, boring, samey and doesn't justify it's length”, you’re a fucking moron. Especially for compilations. Stop using long as an inherently negative descriptor, and stop acting like they're a chore to finish.
Rant over.
>>
>>71178128
lol whats wrong with you bud you ok
>>
>>71178194
I can't save every pig ok, it's just not feasible for one human.
>>
>>71178240
wtf lol
>>
>>71178128
Is this at least in part because of my Reich review because I feel like this only passively applies.

Give me an example or I'll think this is copypasta because archive is down.
>>
>>71177829
Who doesn't?

>>71178128
Is this new pasta?

In all seriousness, 2 plus hour albums always feel pretentious to me. It's like the artist couldn't decide which songs are worth the audience's time and was like "fuck it, they're all great". Or like they had no sense of quality control and released everything they recorded.

Probably a dumb concept but whatever.
>>
>>71178312
I mean there's at least 3 examples just in this thread; I don't want to single anyone out because almost everyone is guilty of this.
>>
>>71178538
love u babe
>>
>>71178512
hahaha just listened to all of Bartok's string quartets for the first time in one sitting #endurance #boring #doesntjustifylength
3/10

Do you see how this mindset might be problematic?
>>
>>71178538
Idk about anyone else, but if an album is 10 hours and only 5 are any good at all I can't give it a 5?

Idk about my other reviews, but I think my point saying Reich does the same thing but worse over and over again is a pretty fair criticism when listening to a career-spanning compilation.

Only other review I see ITT for an album over a couple hours is benny profane's and his is overwhelmingly positive.

>>71178674
find one review like this
>>
>>71178128
If this is related at all to my saying this >>71176515
then I'd say I only agree to a minor extent. Perhaps the use of the word "justify" isn't brilliant, but the piece of music I listened to was over 4 hours –surely it would be acceptable to criticise a film if you thought it was too long?
I understand the idea that difficult in "enduring" a work shouldn't be a factor against it. I understand the idea that a high quantity of music doesn't inherently lower the quality of each piece of the music, but surely you must understand that if a hypothetical work went on for an extortionate amount of time without continuing or adding to it's (subjective) quality, targetting its length would be a valid criticism?
>>
>>71178708
>>71178708
>Idk about anyone else, but if an album is 10 hours and only 5 are any good at all I can't give it a 5?
For sure, that's rating it on the basis of individual songs which is certainly valid. I'm talking about instances where if an album was cut into two or three, the amalgamation of scores would be much higher, but is deliberately truncated solely because it's long.
>find one review like this
I could find a billion if the archive was conveniently not working.
There's a few in particular I'm thinking of, for Unjust Malaise and Analphabetapolothology, but if you go back a few daily threads I bet every album review over an hour references length as a negative.
>>
>>71178674
bartok is garbage tho
>>
>>71178128
i agree, whether long formats are inconvenient wholly depends on the way you listen to them so it's arguably not a "valid" criticism
>Have you become so ADD-riddled that only EP’s and short albums maintain your attention
most albums are too long for the musical material or emotional aspect they present and you're better off picking your favorite tracks at a time or for a playlist, stop blaming that on made up "disorders", blame it on one trick ponies ie specialization in popular music
it's like yeah i appreciate your general point but your response to the problem isn't "change your listening habits" but "you're just too weak to sit through it, man up"? what the hell.

>>71178708
>if an album is 10 hours and only 5 are any good at all I can't give it a 5?
that'll just make people think it's mediocre as a whole so that's silly
consistency is so easy to ignore if you do like i said
>picking your favorite tracks at a time or for a playlist
and comprehensive boxsets are convenient if you consider the aspect of buying them physically
>>
>>71178743
Again, most people are guilty of this and I'm not singling anyone out, nor is this a recent manifestation.
>surely it would be acceptable to criticise a film if you thought it was too long?
You knew the length going into it, if that's something of a barrier for your enjoyment, than you should divide it up into portions you can enjoy or avoid it altogether. No, length is not something you can criticize. Criticize the content, and the content alone.
>>
File: my penis.jpg (21KB, 202x264px) Image search: [Google]
my penis.jpg
21KB, 202x264px
criticise the lenght of *this*
>>
>>71179034
Perhaps some of the time when people criticise length they are actually looking to criticise the fact that the quality of the -content- is not consistent throughout the whole piece. Therefore it becomes boring, therefore it feels as though it is too long.
>>
>>71178674
Well yeah, I can see how it can be problematic. That doesn't mean it's an invalid criticism. A two hour album can certainly be worthwhile, with a huge array of musical ideas, and a thoroughly entertaining experience. It can have a cool theme that's fully fleshed out over like 20 tracks. Or it can also be an hour worth of good music crammed with filler so the artist has a double album. Really depends
>>
>>71178128
depends on how you choose to ingest your albums.
For longer records, I usually break it up into 2 or 3 listening sessions, that way I won't get numb to the music.
If you insist on digesting the whole thing in one go, then of course there's a possibility you're gonna get bored, it's natural.

also if you listen to a 3 hour comp in one sitting you're fucking stupid. Unless you got some extreme patience and focus, it's gonna wear on you.
honestly you should just put it on shuffle and listen to it over a few days time.
>>
>>71178538
I think it depends on how one likes to consume music. Personally, I think albums should be viewed as whole entities.
The longer an album is, the harder it will be to keep it as a cohesive piece of art. This is rather subjective. How cohesive does art need to be? Who is to say?
However there's a reason that most movies and albums don't stretch past a certain length and yes that is in part due to having to compensate for the average consumer and usually only the most dedicated of people are willing to dedicate a large chunk of time to something. But objectively most humans can only focus on a thing for a certain amount of time before they are no longer able to absorb it.

You're right in that an artist has no obligation to justify the length of their art as it is their art and we must ourselves decide how we perceive it. And if every track on an album is an 8/10, no matter how long it is, yes the final rating should be an 8/10.

However saying that listening to a long album is the same as listening to three shorter albums is slightly false. The shorter albums are separate entities and changing them up resets your frame of mind when you are evaluating the quality. But yeah if you listen to 7 albums in a row with no breaks you are absolutely not going to absorb the 7th album as well as you would have if you listened to it first.

Also arguing about compilations is pointless because the person listening to it should know its a collection and it should be long, that can't detract from it, and it probably was never designed to be consumed as a whole.

Anyway this is all rendered pointless because it's all subjective in the end. I prefer shorter albums because they are generally more memorable, cohesive, and higher quality. Of course this depends on the genre toom Working within a time constraint produces quality (again in certain genres only) because the artist really has to consider what to put in and leave out.
>>
>>71179016
'Change your listening habits' was definitely a point I was making, but moreso 'change your reviewing/rating habits'. I suggested that if you listen to albums in LP-sized chunks (or EP sized chunks, or whatever), the rating for the whole thing should be the roughly the average of that, because length is not a criticism. I think we almost entirely agree, I just went on a bit of a tangent for effect.
>>
>>71179165
yeah yeah, my mistake
>>
>>71179034
>You knew the length going into it
>length is not something you can criticize
ok this is a fucking stupid argument
in music, perhaps length is not valid as a criticism, that's debatable.
but in narrative driven medium like film? it definitely is.
You could have a movie filled with brilliant action sequences. But if it continues to play them out over and over and over again. The effectiveness dwindles. The law of diminishing marginal utility comes very much into play.
There's a reason even brilliant scenes get cut from movies. You could make Talladega nights 4 hours long if you wanted to with all the hilarious improv they cut out. But it would suck. Cause no matter how great the jokes were, they'd interfere with the flow of the story, they'd make punchlines less impactful.
it is absolutely a justified criticism
>>
>>71179072
Then they should say that. People write reviews expressing short lengths as a treat, and long lengths as a chore, completely sidestepping content which should wholly encompass your review and rating.

>>71179111
Again, criticize the content, not the length.

>>71179113
If that works for you that's great, but everyone listens to music differently. I usually listen to 3-hour comps in one sitting on first listen, but I certainly don't review and rate it based on that.

>>71179116
>However there's a reason that most movies and albums don't stretch past a certain length
Yeah, physical limitations imposed by media. Many jazz and classical pieces required huge boxsets. Symphonies from the renaissance era certainly weren't written in 40 minute consumer-sized chunks, for example.
>I prefer shorter albums
Than divide up longer albums or avoid having opinions of them, that's not a valid position. It's like saying any painting over a certain size I like less; it's absurd.
>>
>>71179116
This is the sane point ITT. Human minds can only fully comprehend so much of course.

Esoteric point (was it Freakonomics?): it's like how seven is the highest number of things most people can immediately visualize without having to count
>>
>>71179343
All of those are content critiques, not length critiques. Why not shorten the movie to a 15-minute short, so it's even better? You're aware that there are fantastic long movies, right?
>>
>>71179504
>It's like saying any painting over a certain size I like less; it's absurd.
I get your point but this analogy is very bad
>>
>>71179563
Why? Perhaps a painting of a certain size becomes too much for someone to enjoy in the same way as their smaller compact paintings. You can't say an analogy is bad and offer no reason.

>>71179527
>Human minds can only fully comprehend so much of course.
What's the arbitrary length cutoff where your brain stops comprehending?
>>
>>71179504
>Symphonies from the renaissance era
such as?
>>
>>71179504
>Symphonies from the renaissance era
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>71179727
Subjective, of course. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Here's a better painting analogy: we can view an entire painting at once but not an album, since we experience time linearly, etc. But how about this--if the painting is so big that you can only view a little bit of it at once and each bit fills your entire field of vision. You can eventually conclude that each and every portion of the painting you saw separately was great, but it doesn't mean you can comment on it holistically or grasp a bigger picture.
>>
>>71179797
>>71179745
Fuck, baroque. Everything I said is wrong now.
>>
>>71179562
>Why not shorten the movie to a 15-minute short, so it's even better?
obviously that's not what I meant when I presented the idea of diminishing marginal utility. It works against films being too short as well. If a movie does not satisfy story or character in the allotted time span, then it fails in that regard.
Just as a movie that tells a complete story can be marred by additional content that does not support the rest of the film.
I don't understand your point about content critiques? of course it's a content critique... that's what a film is made up of. You can't say "I didn't like when the time code ran past 2 hours".
That doesn't negate the fact that a massive running time can be detrimental to a feature. At some point a movie needs to justify it's runtime.
People get bored, it's a thing that happens. the longer a movie is, the higher the chance of it becoming plodding and pedantic is.
If I could sit and eliminate the condition of human boredom I would. I'm sure we could ingest all the amazing art in the world.
But I can't do that, so I'm sorry, I'll take a concise, self-contained story over. After all, "brevity is the soul of wit"

>>71179727
two completely different concepts.
Time and space (though they are intertwined!).
I'll keep it short.
You can't get bored by space.
People don't look at a picture that's 8"x11" and then look at the same one that is 1'x2' and go, oh the larger one is boring.
But if you sat someone in front of a painting for 2 minutes, and the you sat someone in front of the same painting for 2 hours. I'm guessing one of them would report a much less pleasurable experience.
>>
>>71179886
>baroque
>symphony
What did he mean by this??
>>
>>71177757
p solid tune

>>71177760
besides Angel dust and California, it's probably my favorite vocal album of his.

>>71178128
wew
>>
>>71179504
According to a quick google search most symphones are 1 to 2 hours long with an intermission in between so... what's your point? And the collections you refer to are summations of someone's work not single releases.
Do you honestly think if physical media had the storage space from the get-go to allow for large sizes that the average album length would be longer than it is?
Capitalism aside, most artists don't need that much time to make a statement.
And again, I posit that physical limitatons create good art. It cuts out the excess.

I do not understand the point of dividing up something and then trying to view it as a whole. Sure you can piece it together with time and energy and that's fine, it might even be extremely rewarding, but the longer something is, the amount of effort increases, and therefore the more rewarding something HAS to be before it can be considered worth it.
Also if you have to divide the parts up, you have to divide them up logically. Otherwise you're ending abruptly in the middle somewhere. If you are able to end at a logical point and pick back up somewhere else, this begs the question of why it was packaged together in the first place.

Also I don't see how me saying I prefer shorter albums shouldnt allow me to have an opinion. So what if you prefer long albums, you can't talk about shorter albums then?
>>
>>71179896
You're missing my point almost entirely and are way off in the weeds, so I'll try to steer you back on course. If an album had the same note for 27 hours, you wouldn't say its shit because it's 27 hours, but rather because it's content as a whole is garbage. There's no 'justifying length', the content is just not good. Now, I'm sure you've enjoyed 27 hours of music in your life, so if that was somehow released by one artist as a single album, you would again criticize the content and see that it is great. If you're unable to seperate these concepts, than your opinion on long music is probably worthless.

>But if you sat someone in front of a painting for 2 minutes, and the you sat someone in front of the same painting for 2 hours. I'm guessing one of them would report a much less pleasurable experience.
This is so retarded I don't know how to respond.
>>
>>71180281
Wew didn't realize people would fixate on the offhanded symphony concert. You've been to a concert, no? Festival? Did it last more than 45 minutes? Did you get bored and go home after 1 hour, and tell your friends it was bad because it was long?
>So what if you prefer long albums, you can't talk about shorter albums then?
I have no opinion on length, only content.
>Do you honestly think if physical media had the storage space from the get-go to allow for large sizes that the average album length would be longer than it is?
No, but it's a fact that this set the status quo and prevented artists from experimenting with long form works.
>>
>>71180281
>I do not understand the point of dividing up something and then trying to view it as a whole.
Music (most of it) is conveniently divided up into songs. It's not like viewing 1/4 of an art piece, but as a singular piece of art in a collection. So it's pretty easy to infer the grand scheme.
I don't personally divide albums very often, but it can be a useful tool. You also don't have to listen to it only once, in one specific way.
>>
File: chie.png (179KB, 381x459px) Image search: [Google]
chie.png
179KB, 381x459px
>someone rates 98.12.28 a 10
>adds me as a friend a day after
this happens at least twice a week now
>>
>>71180602
I'd be pretty annoyed too if I were getting constant friend requests from fishmans fans.
>>
>>71180602
Not sure which one is a bigger mistake
>>
File: erics favorites.jpg (1MB, 1485x950px) Image search: [Google]
erics favorites.jpg
1MB, 1485x950px
Hello /daily/, i'm eric taxxon. I lurked here while I was banned and i'm gonna try and participate in the next thread
>>
>>71180627
do you get a lot of friend requests from jazzlords? I'd be annoyed with that too.

>>71180640
you've done one and a half of those actions so you decide

>>71180672
eric for the win lol jk man you like pussy
>>
>>71180672
Nice. Peep Carlos, ERASMO..., even though I know it's not exactly up your alley.

If you liked EYR, peep Anything You Sow by William Onyeabor. Good synthpop from Africa.
>>
File: 1465283385389.jpg (39KB, 409x419px) Image search: [Google]
1465283385389.jpg
39KB, 409x419px
>>71180672
ah, rod talked about talking to you & your music
i lurked your rym profile for a while
didnt know that was both you
small /mu/
hi
>>
>>71180708
Actually not that big a fan of pussy

>>71180716
Thanks, you should listen to Todo Lo Solido by Gabo Ferro just cus
>>
File: daily.png (3MB, 2521x1372px) Image search: [Google]
daily.png
3MB, 2521x1372px
>Smog - Kicking a Couple Around

i feel like there was no value to this besides lyrically.. but that's not really my thing if the music itself bores me. "I Break Horses" was decent though

2/5
>>
>>71180708
I get some invites out of nowhere every once in a while but not really what you'd consider jazzlords I guess.
>>
>>71180761
Yes rod is my friend
>>
File: bby grinch.jpg (63KB, 564x757px) Image search: [Google]
bby grinch.jpg
63KB, 564x757px
>>71180762
>Actually not that big a fan of pussy
u gay mang?
>>
>>71180885
If you can't stick it in your ass, what good does it do you?
>>
File: this tweet.png (24KB, 598x215px) Image search: [Google]
this tweet.png
24KB, 598x215px
>>71180885
Extremely
>>
File: hunther (22).jpg (108KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
hunther (22).jpg
108KB, 333x500px
>>71180762
>Actually not that big a fan of pussy
patrician.
rate this man.
>>
>>71180970
who is she
>>
>>71180970
4/10, not objectionable but also not enough beard or build
>>
>>71180534
Allow me to reframe my argument since I think my point is getting lost.

I never said long albums are inherently bad. And if it appeared that I was saying length is a valid criticism, that's on me.

What I'm trying to say is, the longer something is, the higher chance that the content will drop in quality because of all the things I mentioned earlier. The reasons things tend to be a certain length are good and valid but are not rules to be followed all the time. The purpose of my argument was to get you to realize that people tend to gravitate towards shorter albums not for the cynical reasons you suggested.
>>
File: Live.jpg (40KB, 493x500px) Image search: [Google]
Live.jpg
40KB, 493x500px
why do these guys name all their songs Modul [insert random number]
i mean i like that they do that and i love their music but why

>>71166367
damn right

>>71180672
hi eric! what are you gonna do for your next meme i mean album
Autechre - L Event
wasn't too big on it but since you like oversteps i assume you'll find more in it than i did
>>
>>71180987
but everything is androgynous in the future
and chrome
you'd be all over Satanicpornocultshop i think btw
>>
>>71181144
You mean my next album release? I'm working on a lot of stuff, it will either be harold budd inspired summer ambient or hip hop. It could also be something else.
>>
>>71171468
>9 for dark and stormy night
nice
Fonio is a grower for sure. it gets better with repeated listens.
>>71177054
agree with ya fullytbh
>>
>>71181036
>the longer something is, the higher chance that the content will drop in quality
That's probably true. However, you should be able to justify your rating based on the content; and you shouldn't go into long albums expecting them to fall off, or lower their rating purely based on length. If the content is bad, say it's bad because of the content. A 15 second album can be boring too.
That's all I'm saying.
>>
>>71177054
correct opinions

>>71181250
wth tobabo fonio is so much fun the fucking snare drum roll and then the parade collage and the drones at the beginning of the tracks
that album is so good oh my god i need more stuff like the violin tracks
>>
>>71180716
Anything you sow was good, I liked the repetition and sort of minimalist progressions. 7/10
>>
File: folder.jpg (111KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
111KB, 600x600px
>>71180672
and maybe...
>a load of talent, barely sufficient skill
>>
>>71181496
out of curiosity has anyone you've ever recced to said anything other than that it was terrrible?
>>
File: 1485062700729.jpg (24KB, 600x499px) Image search: [Google]
1485062700729.jpg
24KB, 600x499px
>>71178128
yer taking the piss, right?

The longer the compilation the higher the RYM rating. Isn't that well known by now?

Most albums that are two hours can not fill their length with consistently 8/10 or even 7/10 songs (that pizza comic that fish posted a while back had some snide commentary on double albums that was way 2 real)

>>71178538
>sees a fews review calling his favorite long albums boring for being too long
>posts >>71178128
I literally gave Texas Jerusalem Crossroads a 9 the other day. I'm sure you can find a dozen counter-examples, piggo

>>71179034
>length is not something you can criticize
wo

It so is. Too much of any one thing will eventually reach a saturation point. Triangle's right when he brings up diminishing marginal utility. And if there are a dozen nigh-identical songs on an album, regardless of individual quality, you're going to get fed up.

Taking the argument to the logical extreme, if you listened to twenty identical copies of the same song in one artistic object (the album), you aren't going to enjoy that nearly as much as listening to the same single song a few times. The artistic object begs attention

Everything I wrote has probably already been said but I'm not reading all that jazz
>>
>>71181523
avant listened to two tracks in passing and said it was meh
everyone else just doesn't get it, obviously
you see, while it may _seem_ like it's supposed to be eclectic as it places itself firmy in the sporkcore tradition by way of the dada-inspired lyrics, it's more a reduction to what i'm convinced is the core essential unit of rock music, the "pose" or "peak" or "moment", whatever, we discussed it last thread >>71149681, and that just necessitates *a bit* of eclecticism
Asking Alexandria works the same way, probably realized better, don't listen to them as much fsr, still loads though. that whole scene was pretty cool actually and there's no reason to pretend to look down on its aesthetics
>>
File: IMG_20170222_150809.jpg (3MB, 2379x2540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170222_150809.jpg
3MB, 2379x2540px
The Beatles - Let It Be

>Pop Rock

In the end, just falls flat and fails to deliver... anything, really. Theres a few songs here that are a bit enjoyable, but really it sounds like Abbey Road or The White Album if they watered it down a ton.

>2.0/5

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/FollowingLeader/daily/

Shit, I forgot to listen to Yellow Submarine
>>
>>71181730
>if there are a dozen nigh-identical songs on an album, regardless of individual quality, you're going to get fed up
That's a content critique, not a length critique. If you like all the songs, how can the album be bad?
>Taking the argument to the logical extreme, if you listened to twenty identical copies of the same song in one artistic object (the album), you aren't going to enjoy that nearly as much as listening to the same single song a few times.
So you've never listened to the same song 20 times? Repetition is a content critique independent of length; a two-track 7" can be too formulaic for a good rating without evoking length. It's an invalid critique, pure and simple.
>>
>>71182039
I actually think it is an interesting album. I don't particularly like it, but that's purely because I can't stand most if not all of the vocals. I think a lot of people listen to it, hear the vocals pigeon hole it as brokencyde and just tune out.
If you can make it past the abrasion, there's a lot of interesting things going on. There are so many styles being shifted rapidly, covering bases not touched before in this format.

So yeah I guess I can step back appreciate it but I'm not a fan.
>>
>>71182177
Although I had no idea what you were talking about last thread so I don't think I "get" it in the exact way you seem to.
>>
i fuckin love semantics
>>
>>71178128
In the core of all these insults and assumptions, you have a very valid complaint.

However, there are very many albums that are long because they are unpolished, which is also a valid complaint.

Another problem that sometimes arises with these long albums is that they sound too much of the same - for an album to be long it has to at least occasionally change the sound or style. For me, the best albums sound fresh throughout.

Still, a great deal of albums pull of being so long, like Exai, LCD Soundsytem's s/t, and Drukqs.

That's just my two cents though.
>>
File: Station_to_Station_cover.jpg (69KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Station_to_Station_cover.jpg
69KB, 300x300px
Station to Station (6/10) review:
I didn't enjoy Station to Station as much as the majority of the audience seems to. The instrumentation is usually respectable and manages to be pretty varied throughout the entire album (the muted strums on the title track giving a rhythmic aspect to the guitar, the unexpectedly tranquil and childlike piano melodies opening Word on the Wing), while still keeping a consistent theme of art rock with pop and funk influence. What really keeps the album quite shackled from being great, for me, is the vocals from Bowie. Although he manages to sing to his full technical ability throughout the record, often reaching the lows of his range and singing in falsetto as well, it comes across to me as completely stripped of passion, devoid of emotion – especially when we compare it to his hugely heartfelt deliveries on "Heroes" and Low (listen to Sons of the Silent Age, for example). If it as though he is delivering the lyrics with his eyes turned towards something else capturing his interest, or as though it is actually sung by a very talented David Bowie impersonator. This is the only way I can attempt to describe this drawback to this album, but to me it is quite a significant drawback.

>>71180970
transcendent
>>
File: folder.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
>>71182177
at least the kids like it

hmm true tho, i guess i'm a hardened true blackmetalhead, cuz the vocals sound a whole lot like Gris' for instance. that, in contrast to the fact they made music for a yt comedy channel and made nonsensical, unfunny sketch comedy themselves (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VmTefXrz4), the whole pretense of being fun while having those desperate screams and angsty lyrics, i really dig that as some weird kind of irony
>>
>>71176135
no u
btw i am meeting YellowJelly on march, we fucking dating now
and did i ever tell you i am moving to Deutschland? we might meet
>>
>>71182414
Yeah guttural screams are the main obstacle to me enjoying grindcore atm. Perhaps I'll get used to it with time.
Also apparently the album has cool lyrics but I sure as fuck can't hear em.

And like most people I found them through Smosh way back when so I had thought that they were this joke band the whole time (especially because of Crank Dat).

Until you posted that thread of the guy from the band I had no idea they were at least semi serious.
>>
>>71182055
Are this chart your back catalogue? If it is, be warned that Avec Laudenum is way better than either tired sounds or refinement.
>>
>>71178128
damn Jangle didn't read this
Did i ever tell you that Luciano Cuilo's Dialoghi blah blah was pretty cool?
also you are kind of right, don't have battery to properly say why tho
>>
>>71182243
'Unpolished' and 'sounding the same' are valid critiques because it makes direct reference to the material. Saying its too long or doesn't justify it's length are not, because it does not engage the content. Sure, long albums are more prone to certain artistic errors, but they should be addressed independently.
>>
>>71182673
Nope, but I'm happy to hear it!
Be sure to listen to the extended version (2004 CD with 11 tracks) with 'Della Conoscenza (Original Version)' because it's slightly better than the album version and probably the best piece of music ever. And the other tracks are phenomenal too.
>>
>>71182573
yeah joke bands are serious businesses, avant musicians are in it for fun, lemme just write my 20 page essay on the matter of taking art seriously or not because it's real fucky to me
>>
>>71182680
Agreed

>>71182631
Yes it is
>>
File: image1.jpg (12KB, 221x187px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
12KB, 221x187px
>>71182762
>listen to the extended version
THERES AN EXTENDED VERSION?!

tfw ive been salty over luciano cilio only ever making like 30 minutes of music and now i find out this

is it like different versions of the tracks or are there new ones too?
>>
>>71182865
Postmodernism really threw a wrench in things didn't it
>>
>>71182962
There's a few alt takes and then mostly solo instrumental stuff, and the original full Della take. I think maybe they were intended to use as layers for compositions and they didn't end up on the final release (or maybe they did and I haven't noticed) but they are retarded good in their own right. The 2014 extended release has 2 extra songs that are just the isolated piano tracks from prima and seconda which aren't worth it in my opinion, but the entire 2004 CD is gold.
>>
>>71180672
ive never seen someone rank biophilia above all other bjork abums
>>
File: meme o'rourke.png (17KB, 125x77px) Image search: [Google]
meme o'rourke.png
17KB, 125x77px
>>71182962
Also guess who wrote the liner notes for the extended release ;8)
>>
>>71183389
Thats funny, because it's her best.

Vespertine is very close though
>>
>>71174332
>if this is the culmination of your noise project does that mean you're gonna drop that shit and start making real music now?
Yep! I'm going overseas and becoming a k-pop producer now.
>>
File: miCug6g.jpg (127KB, 1920x1079px) Image search: [Google]
miCug6g.jpg
127KB, 1920x1079px
>>71183412
i need to relisten, i don't remember it much. volta too (only really remember earth intruders from that one)
my favs are
1 homogenic
2 vespertine
3 post
i feel medulla has her absolute best songs along with some i can't really get into.
i love bjork so much
>>
https://youtu.be/t1QSgdMPI5g

p good
>>
File: John Fahey.jpg (33KB, 341x341px) Image search: [Google]
John Fahey.jpg
33KB, 341x341px
@Nat king cole what do i do now that i listened to all the worthwhile fahey albums, as well as jack rose's and basho's entire discographies

>>71183237
oh thats pretty cool i'll check it out soon

>>71183405
was it the man in the image you posted

>>71183534
>Yep! I'm going overseas and becoming a k-pop producer now.
secretly hoping this is true

>>71183549
which ones homogenic i always forget
medula has some fantastic songs but post is most consistent for me
i need to relisten vespertine (thats the one from 2015 right) because i thought it was ok but that was back when i was super tasteless and listened to like 6 new albums per day and never touched them again
>>
Buenos dias
>>
Someone make new thread pls
>>
Thank
>>
can u not
>>
>>71183987
>was it the man in the image you posted
ye
>>
where is new thread
>>
File: delete98.12.png (249KB, 352x348px) Image search: [Google]
delete98.12.png
249KB, 352x348px
~IT'S TIME~

>>71174332
>>correct Dolden project not listed
>Sds tho
huh
>>
>>71184619
I'm saying Who Has the Biggest Sound? is clearly the superior album if you have the slightest taste for spork
>>
>>71184702
>spork
i usually dislike it but there have been few albums that are spork that ive actually enjoyed
>>
>>71184781
hmm i have this thing that i really like this pomo genre hopping thing in theory and i somehow wanna make music in this "style" (or lack thereof) myself but it seems it's just too much for a lot of artists to handle especially well
that album though is probably the lushest, most eclectic i've ever heard, truly monumental
>>
>>71184933
i hear about it a lot, and mostly positive things.. why does it only have 14 ratings on rym, with a 2.88?
>>
>>71184955
just wasn't marketed well probably
and you can blame fish being a pleb in part
i'd say if just one popular rymer picked it up and reviewed it positively it'll be on the 2017 posercore chart in no time
>>
>>71185090
>>71185090
>>71185090
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.