[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you learn music theory just for trap beats? I only want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3138.jpg (90KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3138.jpg
90KB, 640x448px
How do you learn music theory just for trap beats? I only want to know the proper timing on the drums and fills and theory pertaining to making trap melodies I don't wanna learn a ton
>>
>>71150080
to properly make trap beats put a gun to your head and shoot.
seriously though, it takes no effort. you can put out enough trap beats to fuel gucci manes career for the next 50 years with a day of learning. For drums you just need to know how to switch between 8th notes or 16th notes to triplets, and make an 808 bass with shitty compressors and fl bass boost, all of which are easy as hell to do on your pirated copy of fl studio. You can basically do the beat in drop it like its hot with the hihat doing triplets and 8th notes on every single song. If you want trap melody just use fl studios random progression feature for one measure, and loop it for the entire song. If you want to do something slightly better then sample some random catchy riff, and then make a chopped version that goes at half speed. Then all you have to do is play the normal version for 4 measures and then switch to the slowed down version when the bass drops and the hihat triplets come in.
>>
>>71150430
It's not that easy thoigh you have to make perfect melodies for the intros and build suspense in the right spot wth other melodies or brass and add crazy drum fills and shit. Some of it's easy YES but the shit I hear in my head is not.

I see why'd you say that though cause a lot of mainstream trap beats are just 3 melodies a kick drum and the hi hats at a 2 step
>>
>>71150478
eh. the main music theory you need to know is scales and chords I guess. You can probably jazz out the progressions if you know that much. As a drummer I think the only way you'll learn to make truly good drums is by becoming a drummer, at least on tables or some shit. For drum theory learning there are rudiments which make up most of what you play in some form. After those you'd want to play rock songs and hip hop songs to get some experience, and play through the linear drumming book to learn how to make sick rythyms and fills.
If you dont have immediate access to drums just be like every other teenage trap fan and drum with your hands and feet using a table.
>>
>>71150688
How would you go about mixing melodies? Do they all have to be on the same key and scale or can you mix and minor key with another minor key? Or does like the f scale mix with the e scale type ish?
>>
>>71150713
scales and keys are kind of the same thing, and you'll probably want to stick to one per song. A key is the center of the tones and shit. You mainly play the notes of the scale when playing in a key, but you can tasefully mix in other notes. I don't know much about combining scales but I don't think that its possible or recommended on one instrument. If you've got multiple instruments then you can but I don't know those techniques. I'm not formally educated in music theory- I learned a lot of experience on multiple instruments and loose research, so dedicated theory sites will teach you better than me.
>>
>>71150874
So when the first melody is made every melody after that follows it's key? Does that mean they have the same root note or no?
>>
>>71150891
You can do key shifts but not all songs do that. When you play in a key want to stay around the note but it doesn't have to have to be in the melody. Like if you make do stuff on c4 scale you can put notes in the c3 and c5 areas if you want but you should center around c4 enough that it still sounds like c4 when you have notes in c5.
>>
>>71151049
If a song is in the f key does that mean it starts with an f note? Can you make a melody in the f key that doesn't start on that note? Do all trap songs have every melody in the same key?
>>
Just practice. Music theory is wholly unnecessary. New and exciting music comes from those who never learned theory and make music by experimentation.
>>
>>71151251
All my melodies clash and sound like shit and I can't find out how to make those high pitched slow synths
>>
>>71151243
You can be in a key without starting on the note. In an F key you could start on F G B flat A C D E or F again, but if you started with a regular B or any other flat/sharp then you wouldn't have really started it F (not to say you can't, its just weird to do so).
>>71151251
Nah. 5 minutes of reading about theory will increase your skills as much as months of "experimentation". Typically a part of experimentation is that you have the basics down first, so you fuck with them how you like. Experimentation without musical knowledge leaves you with shit like this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXQvuoQnec
>>
>>71151433
So like bad and boujee and dark horse all follow the same scale in their songs? Does the 808 stay in the same scale?
>>
>>71151451
>>71151451
I don't really listen to much trap so I can't say, but I really doubt they do much with key shifts. They might go up a bit, like change from c4 center to c5 center, but again I don't listen to their stuff. If your planning on using an 808 like a bassline you will want to make it in the same scale, but it can be in a lower key. I'm not a trap producer, just fyi.
>>
>>71150080
hi joey
>>
>>71151673

Nah you helped exponentially thank you

I probably couldn't get your email to ask for tips right?
>>
>>71151863
Btw would pay you if it worked on helping me sell beats
>>
>>71151881
>>71151863
you can have my throwawayish email I check every once in a while.
Thats arbitrary144@gmail.
Don't take this as a substitute for learning though, theres surely some more knowledgable sources that will amp up your game.
>>
>>71151992
Of course not I've been studying every day for years I can see the basic layout on beats but I can't really learn or practice theory
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.