[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can you tell if a drummer is a good or not? Other than the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

How can you tell if a drummer is a good or not? Other than the obvious things like time-keeping I don't really get what differentiates some from others. I don't get what makes Lars Ulrich a shit drummer in most peoples eyes, he sounds fine to me (at least their earlier albums). Is it because he doesn't go balls out and just needlessly adds fills constantly? I really have a problem with drummers fighting for the spotlighting by just being a constant barrage of notes. I prefer minimalist drummers who groove along to songs and know when to add certain things to maximize the impact but it seems to me that a maximalist drummer is automatically a better drummer in most people's eyes. How would other drummers have improved the drums on classic Metallica songs, I don't see it, they sound perfectly fine as they are.
>>
>>71059778
Studio metallica is fine with me, but live it's just so sad.
>>
I think it's like other art things where you just know when you encounter it. Lars seems kind of tame but not bad, like a craftsman, probably looks at drumming as a job mostly

Telling a great drummer from just a good one probably takes being a good drummer yourself, where the great ones will do things that work that you'd never have thought of yourself

Other words, I don't actually know
>>
>>71059778
>I don't get what makes Lars Ulrich a shit drummer in most peoples eyes
The obvious things, like time-keeping.
>>
>>71059835

sad but true
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVuylpybiI

Also who was the stand in drummer for Lars? I saw a comparison video of Lars playing and then the stand in playing battery and the stand ins version sounded way better
>>
>>71059778
lars is kind of like the drummer from ac/dc, he's been playing the same beats since the 80's, the only difference is ac/dc's drummer can keep time.
>>
>>71059778
You are right in thinking that a drummer is much better off sitting in the song with correct feel than just jamming heaps of unnecessary shit into the song.
Exhibit A: Ringo. Ringos a fucking kickass drummer, but he only ever played one drum solo with the Beatles (dunno about elsewhere) and never went for super intense complex shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJTjjAXDZSY

I'm also partial to Phil Rudd from AC/DC. Dude was so restrained with his fills and crashes, It lent a super tight and strong groove to the AC/DC sound
>>
>>71059778
dynamics
rhythmic phrasing
rudiment knowledge
and of course groove aka being in the pocket
>>
>>71061915
not only did ringo have great feel for the songs he played on, he also had good knowledge about rudiments and jazz stylings (he was in a jazzy dance band before the beatles). another thing that rarely gets mentioned is that he's a lefty that grew up having to learn to do everything right handed, which is really what gave him his distinctive feel and highly inventive but also simple fills.

>>71062984
this is pretty much what any multi-genre drummer should be able to do. although if you're going into anything rock that isn't prog or jazz influenced then you can throw most of the advanced rudiments out of the window.

>>71061494
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHY077chS6k

yeah with lars' case is that he was always a studio drummer. i think from the very first record they were already cutting and pasting tape making a composite of his best drum takes. it's most noticeable on justice for all (which is probably his best effort on drums). although if you watch their live performances he was pretty energetic throughout the justice tour, i think they cleaned up by the black album tour (at least from the harder stuff) so i'm guessing lars probably stopped doing cocaine after the justice tour and he hasn't been the same since.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.