[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ayn rand worship lyrics over masturbatory prog I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Rush_2112.jpg (79KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Rush_2112.jpg
79KB, 300x300px
>ayn rand worship lyrics over masturbatory prog

I don't really like calling things fedora... but jesus christ you have to
>>
What song in particular?
>>
>>71044192

Not OP, but first two tracks.

Thankfully they later came out and said "Wow we were dumb when we were younger lol" in regards to the Ayn Rand shit.
>>
generally lyrics are completely asinine, try to enjoy the the music.
>>
File: jake.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
jake.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>71044115
>over masturbatory prog
It's really poppy prog though... when it isn't straight up pop.
I inherited a lot of Ayn Rand books from a dead person my family knew, and I've only read Anthem so far, but the main character comes to conclusions that are the opposite of fedora. Her writing is kinda "euphoric", but the conclusion the protagonist comes to is basically that ego is good and allows the superior individuals to flourish. That's selling it short, but it's a very masculine philosophy that he comes to, and fedora wearing atheists are definitely not superior males nor would they claim to be, or endorse anything resembling a "might is right" philosphy (except intellectually, where they have their only edge). That being said, Peart seemed to want to distance himself from Rand in his later years and became interested in charity.
>>71044211
I think his lyrics are really good. The most influence I see from Rand is probably the use of simplistic language to make a "sophisticated" point. "Losing It" is probably my favorite song, lyrically. If you want some thesaurus shit, Rush isn't the place to go, but I think they make non-pop subjects palatable to pop/rock/prog fans better than any thesaurusy lyricist could ever hope to and in the end there's truth in actually being relateable.
>>71044208
I'm pretty sure it was just Neil and more of a "my views have changed" sentiment, and of course his views have changed. The reason Rand railed so hard against collectivism was because she was from communist Russia, and the reason staunch individualism resonates with young people is because they kind of need it to achieve for themselves. When one starts considering their children I think the balance comes into play, because family is a collective, and I think that's the easiest way to see the arguments against pure individualism.
>>
>>71044115
2112 is way less Rand-y than a song like Anthem, which is inexcusably fedora even though I love the instrumental. 2112 is more generally dystopian than randian.
>>
>>71044192
The first song is an instrumental.
What story by Ayn Rand features priests from the temple of Syrynx? (or whatever temple it was. I haven't heard the album in years so I don't have the lyrics in front of me)
>>
2112 is based on the fountainhead though.
>>
>>71044529
The book was called Amthem I think. It follows a similar plot as the song but isn't overtly sci-fi.
>>
>>71044496
Read the liner notes
They thank Ayn Rand
>>
>>71044542
But The Fountainhead isn't a work of Science Fiction and 2112 is.

>I'm confused
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.