[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does he do it /mu/ almost everything this guy writes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 3098563655.jpg (943KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3098563655.jpg
943KB, 1000x1000px
how does he do it /mu/ almost everything this guy writes is just so comfy
>>
>an album about two people in a crumbling marriage dying of alcoholism
>comfy
>>
which of his albums have you heard so far?

not enough mountain goats talk on this forum
>>
>>71041861
>forum
triggered
>>
>>71041835
>i hope you die
>i hope we both die
dam just like a warm blanket. But yeah anon i totally agree
>>
File: booboo.jpg (21KB, 600x538px) Image search: [Google]
booboo.jpg
21KB, 600x538px
He's the best song writer of the 21st century

Forgive me, but I don't know the exact story or meaning behind this album and yet it feels so damn conceptual. This, The Sunset Tree and Tallahassee are all like musical audiobooks
>>
>>71042400
It IS a concept album. it's about him and his tweaker friends when they all lived in southern california. it's one of my 2 favorite albums of theirs, up there with the sunset tree
>>
I truly believe John really was the best songwriter in the world from 1995-2006. Absolutely untouchable at his peak.

The steady decline into mediocrity starting with Heretic Pride has been depressing as hell. He doesn't write great songs anymore.

Meanwhile, I thought Wolf in White Van was great. Just got Universal Harvester, can't wait to get into it.
>>
>>71041854
>>71042346
>And i handed you a drink of that lovely little thing on which our survival depends
>People say friends don't destroy one another,
>What do they know about friends?
But somehow you're right, love love love and pale green things especially imo
>>71043485
I'm stoked to read Universal Harvester too, I really liked WIWV

Also: Sunset tree>Tallahassee>We shall all be healed>all hail west texas = Transcendental youth = get lonely>beat the champ (out of the ones I've listened to)
>>
>>71043702
Oh man, you gotta hear some earlier stuff. Full Force Galesburg, The Coroner's Gambit, New Asian Cinema, Devil in the Shortwave...all essential.

The three compilations are great too, but you gotta wade through some dogshit lo-fi tracks at times to get to the hits.
>>
>>71043751
Hey thanks! Always kinda unsure of where to go next when he has such a big catalog
>>
>>71043485
I agree that those were his best years. Since then I've heard Heretic Pride and All Eternals Deck, both of which are decent, and Beat The Champ, which I liked a lot - but it's no Sunset Tree.

I appreciate that he's experimenting sonically, with horns and choirs and all, but his older material had a rawness that was really powerful. His songs used to feel like open wounds, you know? Now they're all scarred over.

Haven't gotten Universal Harvester yet, but read WIWV and thought it was beautiful and affecting.
>>
>>71043779
I can also vouch for Full Force Galesburg. To me, that album > most of the newer stuff. It's harder to decipher than AHWT, but if you focus on the pure emotions and imagery it's just gorgeous.

"Original Air-Blue Gown" is one of my favorite TMG songs ever. There are so many layers of meaning behind it.
>>
>>71043833
>His songs used to feel like open wounds, you know? Now they're all scarred over.

That's a great way of putting it. I think he also just settled down and got this shit together--getting married, dealing with his stepfather issues, drinking less, having kids--which really took the edge off of his writing. It's shitty to say, but it's true.
>>
>>71043884
Yeah, there's a frustrating dynamic between fan and artist when the artist is beloved for making painful/personal art.

Morally, you can't expect the artist to keep slitting their wrists to feed you, but once they get to a better place, their art no longer moves you as much. It is what it is, I guess.

I know that when I try to write lyrics, I can't think of much to say unless I feel shitty. When you're a professional musician in that situation, trying to release material consistently, you don't really have that luxury. You have to put out shit at the risk of sounding contrived
>>
>>71043877
another vote for Full Force Galesburg. That album is untouchable for me.

Sweden and Zopilote Machine are essentials as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcxj5NZgoj0

fucking gets me every time
>>
>>71043884
>got this shit together
John got his shit together long ago, before he started recording music.
>>
>>71044888
His heroin/speed days don't even compare, absolutely. But even after he kicked those habits, he was still getting wrecked every night on tour and ranting about his personal demons. All that is gone now.
>>
>>71043331
It's a really fun but emotional album, very underrated. Not sure why p4k slate the goats so much
>>
>>71044656
I like how half of Zopilote Machine is bizarre and other parts are heart wrenching.
>Some flower petals stick to your skin
>I grab hold of your hip, and I pull you in

>And I smile as you ease the gun from my hand and I'm,
>Frozen with joy right where I stand
>>
>>71043751
Coroners Gambit man... never mentioned
Alphonse Mambo and Bluejays & Cardinals are astounding
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.