[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every single time he's brought up on /mu/ he's called

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
Every single time he's brought up on /mu/ he's called derivative, but I've never actually seen someone name an artist that he supposedly rips off.

Do you guys just naturally remain skeptical of popular music or do you actually have proof?
>>
Tonetta
Ariel Pink
R. Stevie Moore
Steely Dan
Cleaners from Venus
>>
>>71031100
He doesn't sound anything like Steely Dan and Tonetta is trash. And he and Ariel (his current style at least) are contemporary. Don't think you can call him derivative of it.
>>
i don't think he's derivative, he's just a one trick pony
>>
>>71031180
I think that's fair to say personally
>>
Well he directly stole a riff from some 80s jap singer at least once.
>>
>>71031050
I dont hate this guy, but i find his music boring

>babies first """"""indie""""""
>>
>>71031050
nah he just makes the same song over and over.
ppl just like him because of his open personality to counter-act artist who like to remain mysterious like john maus etc
>>
>makes some boring pop song
>turns the flanger up
>turns the flanger up some more
>runs out of flanger dial and starts using synth
>stops using flanger

progression makes discography desu
>>
>>71031239
>Stole

He credited the sample, just disappointed that literally his best song isnt a macky original
>>
>>71031338
>just disappointed that literally his best song isnt a macky original
lmao not his best song. did u just discover mac last week
>>
>>71031100
Yeah he's kind of like the cleaners of venus but slower
>>
He just makes the same things over and over with either a jangle pop sound with a bit of funk, or italo-disco and 80s stuff since he started to use synths like the DX7 and D50 IIRC.
I like his stuff and will check out his new album, but he isn't a revolutionary artist and I hope he will do something more experimental in the future like Rock N'Roll Night Club, after his audience get bored.
>>
>>71031502
new album sounds like yachty rock with synths.
needs moar rock n roll vibes
>>
>>71031050
Literally the first thing I heard from him borrowed a riff from some old rock song (maybe off his second album?).

I don't have a problem with people listening to him, but it just doesn't seem very interesting to me.
>>
>>71031239
Okay, I remember that saga actually. The original song was pretty good desu
>>71031251
being entry level does not exclude the possibility of it being good. Literally all /mu/core is entry level.
>>71031269
and people hate him for the same reason
>>71031289
can you name the type of pop music you actually do like?
>>71031338
That is like his 8th best song tops
>>71031502
Honestly I very much appreciate experimentation in music and a lot of my favorite albums probably fall under the technical umbrella of "experimental" for their genre at the time, but I couldn't stomach R&RN at all. It sounded like Tonetta and he's garbage.
>>
Ween did what Mac does but better and 20ish years ago.

I still do like Mac though, he is much better than most of his contemporaries and although his persona can be a little off putting, his live shows are fun and his music is pretty catchy. Don't get the hate for this guy.

>>71031375
Dumb phoneposter.
>>
>>71031548
>and people hate him for the same reason
majority love him for that and its the reason for his career. so many fucking interviews of him on youtube answering the same questions over and over
good job captured tracks
also R&RN is his second best release besides 2
3rd best his ying yang
>>
>>71031587
What Ween comes close to what Mac is doing stylistically? I'm not familiar outside of the Mollusk and one go at Pure Guava like 7 years ago
>>
I haven't seen anyone notice it but a ton of his instrumentation sounds like some old Nino Rota soundtracks like Giuletta Degli Spiriti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qyNMe4jnyk

This is more of like "Some Other Ones" than anything
>>
Personally I enjoy his music. I can understand the critique, but I just throw on 2 or rock n roll night club when I'm working and I enjoy it.
>>
File: mac-rnrnc-original-cover.png (207KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
mac-rnrnc-original-cover.png
207KB, 350x350px
>>71031548
>I couldn't stomach R&RN at all
I have discovered Mac deMarco when he was in Makeout Videotape around 2009/2010 desu, and when he started going solo and uploaded the EP version of it on the MV Bandcamp, I hated it at first.
But I came back to it one or two year after with the album version, and I sort of got it, kinda the same way you would get Loveless, and love it, for the drugged/dive bar/broken walkman vibes it conveys.
>>
>>71031936
Dude I didn't even know there was an album version, only heard the EP. I do really like Loveless so I'll give it another try.
>>
>>71031289
IT'S A CHORUS PEDAL
NOT A FLANGER
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>71032009
Don't expect anything as amazing as Loveless, but it's a good album, I think it's my favorite Mac album despite having less catchy hits than 2 or Salad Days.
>>
>>71031100
Literally
Who
>>
>>71031050
WWMDD?

Most likely reprimand me for blasphemy.

The voice of a generation.
>>
>>71032084
A flanger is just a chorus pedal where the modulated delay lines can receive feedback tbf la familia
>>
>>71031657
The Pod and parts of Chocolate and Cheese
>>
https://youtu.be/NY8IS0ssnXQ

https://youtu.be/Q8oS_B6IaKE

I don't mind him all that much, but he is kind of a hack. Also all his music sounds pretty much the same. (Other than Rock and Roll Night Club)
>>
>>71032224
yeah rock and roll is what i play now.
can't stand salad days or another one anymore
>>
>>71032150
I didn't mean that I expected Loveless but rather I understand what yourself saying about the appeal of it so I'll try to come at it with a different attitude. Should've clarified my bad
>>71032176
what is this abbreviation
>>71032190
G'looks amigo I'll check em out
>>71032224
Do you like the new stuff? It's still the same but it appears to be of a higher quality with songwriting
>>
Mac Demarco is a dirty cunt who is heavily derivative George Harrison.
>>
>>71031180
agreed. I think all of us do.
>>
>>71032340
I honestly didn't even listen to it all that much, but what I did hear was the same.
>>
>>71031100
How is Ariel Pink not also guilty of stealing from RSM and Cleaners From Venus?
>>
>>71032555
because ariel pink steals from everyone and still makes it seem like original material
>>
gimmicky use of a flanger
>>
to call any modern musician "derivative" at this point doesn't mean shit. all musicians have ever done is rip each other off. this is nothing new.
>>
>>71032688
But to steal from George? The man is a Buddhist saint.
>>
>>71031050
He's derivative of himself, dumbass.
>>
connan mockasin
>>
DUDE TOBACCO INDUSTRY LMAO
no thanks
>>
mac demarco just remade the replacements song "swinging party" over and over, with maybe a bit of the clientele thrown in there as well
>>
probably a bit of gary wilson, r steevie more and as other have mentioned tonetta
>>
>>71032187
a flanger is just a ultra-slow chorus, lol
>>
Yeah most people, here at least, hate the fact that they like Mac Demarco so much, probably because of his shitty young fan base. So they write him off as a cheap derivative, whereas with any other less popular artist, they'd see these people he's "derivative" of as influences. I've listened to some of those bands and there's barely any similarities. I think Mac has a defined, and unique sound that is very attractive and there's a reason why he's become so popular. The guy just knows how to write a sweet melody. Not everything has to boundary pushing.
>>
Haruomi Hosano
>>
>>71033586
THTA NIGGA AIn't the talent nor need the mental problems of.

Gary is off limits.
>>
>>71033584
Clientele are extremely underrated. First time I've seen them mentioned on this board honestly and I've been here like 4 years
>>71033805
this is pretty much what I think too. Most of the artists mew hates and I mean HATES are ones they actually like but don't want to be associated with them or their a e s t h e t i c
>>71033830
YMO I would say yes but Harry's solo stuff is weird as fuck and I'm not sure fits the bill
>>
>OF begins to get popular
>suddenly every OF thread has someone saying "tyler wishes he could make music like death grips"

>death grips begin to get popular
>suddenly every death grips thread has someone saying "death grips make music for people who don't understand dalek or techno animal"

this is how /mu/ reacts to any artist being hyped. prove me wrong.
>>
>>>71033830
>YMO I would say yes but Harry's solo stuff is weird as fuck and I'm not sure fits the bill

The opposite is true. Demarco's music sounds like he listened to Hosano House and Pacific a lot
>>
File: 1483854667579.jpg (7KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
1483854667579.jpg
7KB, 540x405px
>>71033805
This

I do wish he would add some variety to his music tho. I highkey fuck with his musical style but he just makes lots of samey sounding tracks. The new tracks he dropped sound folksier, so maybe this new album will be slightly different.
>>
>>71034178
oh maybe PEOPLE CHANGE THEIR OPINIONS.
only reason why /mu/ is a popular board because the opinions change every month or so.
>>
>>71034439
it's not changing opinions it's just different people
>>
>>71034417
His next album is going to be very different. He said he was listening to a lot of Paul Simon and singer/songwriter stuff so it should be interesting to say the least.
>>
>>71031338
>>71031375
What song?
>>
File: MACandRyuichi_650.jpg (210KB, 650x432px) Image search: [Google]
MACandRyuichi_650.jpg
210KB, 650x432px
>>71034230
Yeah I was gonna say Haruomi Hosono
2 album cover is based on Hosono House
He put like 5 different YMO songs on his Greatest Shits mixtape for some punk zine
He uses a lot of weird 7th chords and Japanese scales
He borrows riffs from obscure 80s Jap singers associated with Hosono

I think we found one of the big influences.
>>
Mac's mixtape
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMai4Q_meil6VPFGLx8OE-0NsrWidwSqz

There ya go
Is he patrician?
>>
>>71031657
Once you hear the guitar in Pollo Asado, you will know what I mean.
>>
>>71036009
Can you list some of the jap music he's into besides haroumi and YMO? Sucks neither is on Spotify
>>
>>71034230
Pacific is literally not solo material lol

have you even heard Hosono solo stuff? Out side of House it's all strange electronic soundtracks that are more similar to Nobuo Uematsu
>>
>>71036009
is that miyazaki the anime creator man
>>
>>71036009
2 is based on Bruce Springsteen's The River though
>>
>>71031137
Ariel Pink had been doing that same shit when mac was in grade school
>>
>>71036336
There's some in that mixtape playlist posted above you
Apparently he likes Studio Ghibli music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O75geut1JDs& and Akiko Yano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6hWvjcCZIQ
>>
>>71036379
LIterally just the album cover and font lol. Sounds nothing like the river
>>
>>71036445
He was talking about the album cover and was wrong so I corrected him. Yes cover only
>>
>>71036379
Not according to Wikipedia
He really really likes YMO I guess

>In September 2014, DeMarco stated in a "What's in My Bag?" interview video at Amoeba Records in Hollywood, California that he had been inspired by the album art for Haruomi Hosono's Hosono House for the design of 2’s album cover.[8]
> He has also mentioned Shuggie Otis, Barry Gibb, Steely Dan, Axl Rose, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Francis Rossi, Jonathan Richman and the Grateful Dead as favorite artists
>>
>>71036468
Oh sry desu didn't check the comment you were replying to
>>
>>71036473
who the fuck is harmi hosono and YMO anyway? never heard of them and listened to 1-2 songs and it's literally snes chiptune disco. why would mac like this?
>>
>>71036336
just get soulseek
>>71036473
he listens to other shit also
listen to this https://soundcloud.com/unifradio/kieras-playcation
>>
>>71036519
because its good music you pleb
>>
>>71034230
who is pacific?
>>
>>71036519
listen to Hosono House specifically. Haruomis other solo stuff is not even close to Macs stuff
>>
>>71036561
it's a collaborative album by Hosono, Tatsuro Yamashita and some other rando
>>
>>71031100
tonetta was the only reasonable comparison but he is way better than tonetta anyway
>>
>>71036381
But RSM was doing it before Ariel was conceived only Ariel is "patrician" to like so you pay no mind.
>>
>>71037545
no idea wtf you said besides saying old info about rsm.
speak english fucker
>>
File: IMG_0339.jpg (70KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0339.jpg
70KB, 612x612px
>>71031180
This, but at least the trick is pretty good
>>
File: boss_dc2_dimension_c.jpg (46KB, 250x446px) Image search: [Google]
boss_dc2_dimension_c.jpg
46KB, 250x446px
>>71032084
the dimension c pedal is arguable a type of flanger it really rides the line between flanger and chorus but there is no resonance knob so I'll give you that.
>>
>>71031100
literal whos
>>
>>71032084
phasing/chorus/flanging/delays are all essential the same effect just with varying delay times, modulation, and feedback.
>>
>>71038729
also vibrato
>>
>>71035796
chamber of relfection original melody is by shigeo sekito
>>
dude..... cigarettes.....
>>
>>71036368
no ryuichi sakamoto
he was the keyboard in YMO and now he does classical kinda arrangements did music for the revenant and won an oscar for the last emperor
>>
>>71038968
why did he let the goofman make a photo with him
>>
>>71038990
mac's just a big weeb he forced sakamoto-san to do it
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.