[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /mu/, just wanted to talk about something I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1363909976703.jpg (50KB, 480x380px) Image search: [Google]
1363909976703.jpg
50KB, 480x380px
Hey /mu/, just wanted to talk about something I've been able to do all my life, and was wondering if anyone else shares this, as nobody I've ever talked to has shared a similar experience.

Basically, I have the power to create any music I want to in my head at any time. By that i mean I can compose entire albums in my head, flowing perfectly, no interruption, every idea segues perfectly, every note is audible, just like you're listening to a new album on your headphones. Except I can do this on the fly at any time. Like I'm just making it up in my head as it goes through. It's like improvising but it sounds totally composed. And it can be in just about any genre, although I've noticed that I can't imagine music that does not have notes in it for any extended period. That seems to be a limitation. There's time where if I'm bored I'll spend like an hour just walking around my room essentially listening to a new album I just made up.

The problem is I can't ever remember what I just played. No matter how amazing it sounds, around 5 minutes later, it's totally gone from my head. This means I can't ever create what I compose in my head (aside from the fact that i play piano and most of what I create involves numerous instruments, many of which not being a piano). This leads to an endlessly frustrating experience where I have unlimited amount of creation power of new music, but I can't produce any of it. It's just sort of trapped there. I do make music that's mostly just me improvising on the piano, but it's never like what i want to create.

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone on /mu/ shares in these feels, because up till this point I've felt kind of alone in this aspect, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this or does anyone know how to deal with it?

And for those wondering, yes I do have just about perfect pitch.
>>
same
>>
Pretty sure everyone can do this. Even though you think otherwise, the songs in your head aren't as fleshed-out/detailed as they would be in rea life.
>>
>>71003710
>>71003716
Really? Nobody that I've talked to has ever been able to relate to this. Like these aren't just fuzzy idea, I can hear every note of every instrument very clearly.
>>
Congrats, you have an imagination....like everyone else.
>>
literally anyone can come up with musical ideas that feel complete in their head; what makes someone talented is their ability to successfully articulate that.

if you're really fluent with the piano, try just playing the melody you're hearing in your head on the piano and recording it so you don't forget it. especially if you also have perfect pitch (which 100% you do not) this should be a piece of cake.
>>
I think I can do this
>>
>>71005778
yea literally anyone can. I compose music for usually like 5-8 instruments and the only instrument I'm substantially talented at is piano. the OP is basically saying "i can imagine beautiful paintings but the second I pick up a paintbrush they vanish from my apprehension; I'm practically an artist, anyone know this feel?"
>>
Huh interesting. I've said this to people before and no one understood it, so I assumed it was unique. Damn.
>>
>>71006064
are the people you've told about this musical? if not, that might be why, i can imagine this being a trait of a naturally more musical brain
>>
Hey /mu/, just wanted to talk about something I've been able to do all my life, and was wondering if anyone else shares this, as nobody I've ever talked to has shared a similar experience.

Basically, I have the power to create any music I want to in my head at any time. By that i mean I can compose entire albums in my head, flowing perfectly, no interruption, every idea segues perfectly, every note is audible, just like you're listening to a new album on your headphones. Except I can do this on the fly at any time. Like I'm just making it up in my head as it goes through. It's like improvising but it sounds totally composed. And it can be in just about any genre, although I've noticed that I can't imagine music that does not have notes in it for any extended period. That seems to be a limitation. There's time where if I'm bored I'll spend like an hour just walking around my room essentially listening to a new album I just made up.

The problem is I can't ever remember what I just played. No matter how amazing it sounds, around 5 minutes later, it's totally gone from my head. This means I can't ever create what I compose in my head (aside from the fact that i play piano and most of what I create involves numerous instruments, many of which not being a piano). This leads to an endlessly frustrating experience where I have unlimited amount of creation power of new music, but I can't produce any of it. It's just sort of trapped there. I do make music that's mostly just me improvising on the piano, but it's never like what i want to create.

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone on /mu/ shares in these feels, because up till this point I've felt kind of alone in this aspect, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this or does anyone know how to deal with it?

And for those wondering, yes I do have just about perfect pitch.
>>
I have played piano all my life but I wouldn't really say I am able to hear whole, fully orchestrated pieces in my head, from start to finish. I can hear only small excerpts and I don't really believe you guys saying that you can do it either, especially not on the level where you can hear every note playing. Why don't you play it on the instrument then, while you remember it?

Also, having an absolute pitch doesn't mean anything in this case. Relative pitch is what's important.
>>
>>71007277
i do play it on instruments. I compose full pieces and am an actual musician. you're right about relative pitch tho. loads of folks who think they have perfect pitch just have relative pitch, and usually not even that impressive relative pitch. perfect pitch has almost zero correlation to musical ability as well, in my experience
>>
I do hear it in my head, but not as a full piece. Often I come up with a melodic line and while I'm writing it down or playing it, another idea starts developing and so on. Sometimes I hear a short harmonic progression so I build on that too.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.