[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is this shit? The highest points on the album are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2067.jpg (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2067.jpg
72KB, 300x300px
What the fuck is this shit? The highest points on the album are mediocre at best, and the rest is unbearable. Some of the hooks sound nice but everything else is just caphony. Indescernible background melodies that just clash together in a really ugly way. It's like it could be a breath of fresh air, but instead it suffocates your lungs with smoke. I put this on full blast in the car, with a high quality sound system, and it just irritated everyone. Do people seriously enjoy this album? Please explain. Only serious, mature responses please.
>>
i mean sometimes its nice to suffocate your lungs in smoke senpai
>>
>dude where's my hi-fi crystal clear reverbed drums and overdubs and sleek crisp max martin sheen

Go listen to katy perry or some shit you fag
>>
I hate that its a meme to mock one of my favorite albums now
can't you let me have anything nice in my life
>>
>>70928315
>it's another "i need validation so I hate on a popular album" op
>>
theyre refreshingly simple songs like nirvana in 91 and the way that the "cacophony" plays together is interesting in its own right. Plus the songs are easy af to learn on geetar
>>
>>70928343
I said mature responses desu
>>
>>70928354
i feel you anon
>>
>>70928315
>high quality sound system
>in the car

k
>>
I am kinda glad the backlash to this record is finally happening. It has always been overrated to hell and back by the 90s audience once they got access to the damn internet.

The album's claim to success is the studio trickery done on it, giving each track its own different sound. They make the actual songwriting/composition of the music basic bitch as fuck so the listener can follow the effects instead of the songwriting. Maybe this would have been excusable in the early 90s since people weren't exposed to electronic music which already messed with many such effects, but this album truly starts to get worse with age as other alternative options are coming in to creating interesting drone effects. If only this record would've focused on its songwriting as well (like say...The Beatles or Radiohead did) then it would've have been worth remembering for all time. But that's not the case. Overrated ass album that is finally deservingly getting called out for being so.
>>
>>70928354
I'm insulted you think that, I'm just trying to have a musical discussion
>>
If Touched was longer it would be the best song on the album desu
>>
File: 1482346350398.jpg (33KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
1482346350398.jpg
33KB, 211x211px
>>70928315
you have shit taste
>>
>>70928858
yeah we installed it because of regular long car journeys. It's possible
>>
agreed. slowdive is much better
>>
>>70928315
Lel, I've unironically listened to their whole discogrophy, out of curiosity, it's just ok , but nothing more, in the grand scheme of things (don't waste your time)
>>
>>70928901
You're retarded. ''Sometimes'' has a great and unique chord progression.
>>
>>70928953
Every song consists of a 2 second long shredding guitar rif which is looped for 5 minutes, with about 5 different keyboard melodies playing over the top of each other. It's a car crash. I love the vocals and the outstanding hooks but the noise traffic in the background is too overpowering and offputting
>>
>>70929086
>great
>unique
Guys like Sonic Youth and Glenn Branca were doing far more esoteric progressions a decade before. Sometimes is practically "just play chords on a baby level version of an open D tuning, BUT not make it exactly cuz we microtonal!"
>>
>>70929149
listen to isn't anything and you made me realize
>>
>>70928315
I really like how it's total cacophony with melodies underneath it. A combo with that lends itself really easy to creating an extremely unnerving experience but they somehow made the opposite effect. It's actually really soothing.
>>
>>70928360
Are people really that pathetic?
>>
>>70929258
I thought the melodies were too drowned out, like listening to music with someone vacuuming in the background. Maybe I need to listen to it more. Or maybe music is subjective after all
>>
>>70929258
>just a couple chords played in simple rhythm with a lot of effects put on them
>total cacophony
I wonder how people like handle like, free jazz or certain forms of metal.
>>
>>70929735
Enjoyment of music is subjective yes. Hence why I love how dense and drowned out Loveless is and why others don't. Listening to it loud and inebriated might help.

Perhaps this would be more your style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OvXL9R7Ifs
>>
>>70929784
I'm pretty sure it's more than a couple chords being played. And a shit load of 'effects'. The end result sounding like a muffled hornets nest
>>
>>70929784
I tried Ascension once and didn't like it, but I don't have much of a jazz background anyway. I do however like Grandeur of Hair which fits a lot more with a description of "total cacophony," for the reason stated above. It's surprisingly soothing.
>>
>>70929865
>I'm pretty sure it's more than a couple chords being played.
Most tracks on the album entail the same four to five chords. Not too radical.

>And a shit load of 'effects'. The end result sounding like a muffled hornets nest
The main effect that would entail cacophony would be the distortion based effects, which are too fuzzy to not only make the record sound as cacophonous as it can be (they were tryna be more poppy after all) but also doesn't allow for reach of overtones that such a raw sound would otherwise achieve. The stuff like reverb, flanger, and general place of sounds within the music space do little for the idea of cacophony.

>>70929878
>Grandeur of Hair
That's because they are far closer to like actual drone music, thus they are using their abrasive sounds to both create something more cacophonous, and be lofi enough to hit the overtones. It's got a heavy, doom metal style feel to it, too which only helps give that much more of an overwhelming feeling. Not sure why it's mainly brought up in shoegaze threads.
>>
>>70928315
it's the sound of the psychedelic experience; overwhelmingly intense and layered and sexual
>>
>>70928994
Listen to Loveless more, I thought Souvlaki was better as well, but every song on Loveless is a masterpiece
>>
File: 1486601176160.png (281KB, 299x449px) Image search: [Google]
1486601176160.png
281KB, 299x449px
>he doesn't like masturbatory, indulgent strumming that never actually does anything
Hi friend, let's stick together in this hipsterpocalypse
>>
>>70930606
this is NOT nice post
>>
>>70928315
I actually feel bad for you. To answer your question- you just don't like it. Time to move on.
>>
>>70928315
Kevin Shields glide guitar technique is pretty awesome. Give it another listen.
>>
>>70928343
Actually is way overproduced this shit. Trve cvlt blackmetal head here.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.