[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about Frank Zappa? Personally I think he was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: Frank-Zappa-1968.jpg (67KB, 748x422px) Image search: [Google]
Frank-Zappa-1968.jpg
67KB, 748x422px
What do you think about Frank Zappa?

Personally I think he was an untalented meme
>>
You're an untalented meme
>>
WACKY
>>
>>70927583
>Personally I think he was an untalented meme
oh we know
you have been spamming /mu/ with your "opinion" for weeks now
that's what happens when people with no "artistic drive" are presented anything that is not easily digestible: they get really buttmad
"grrr why isn't all music Blur grrrr"
>>
he was talented, started out pretty chill, ended up an asshole cynic

drank a lot of coffee, smoked a lot of cigarettes

I wish he'd done more stuff like Outrage at Valdez that combined his interest in orchestral music with his talent for writing interesting little melodies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSTwI5vwavU
>>
Suck my dick.
>>
>>70927583
He was fairly innovative as a musician.
>>
>>70927655
>Frank zappa isn't easily digestible
This actually made me laugh, you thinking people don't like him because he isn't accessible. He is accessible music with wacky sound effects that people think is experimental. Just like the residents.

I'm not the person you replied to by the way
>>
I know an old guy who used to organize Zappa's gigs in my country in the 70's, became personal friends and even stayed at Zappa's house when visiting the US - I really need to pick his brain for Zappa stories some time before he dies

Zappa is a bit of a meme and overrated by people with a shallow taste in music, but he's still a pretty interesting character as far as musicians go
>>
>>70927746
indeed - Zappa literally became a lowest common denominator targeting crude humor music man in the 70's
>>
>>70927746
>people think is experimental
you mean the people who study music like boulez? yeah, they know more than you, are you gonna cry about that too?
same with residents, if they are not experimental, why don't you like them? I mean, because of the way you speak you must only like experimental artists
lemme see, how about coldplay? you love it, right? it has pop beats that you can bang your head to!
>>70927776
>Zappa is a bit of a meme and overrated by people with a shallow taste in music
unlike you, right? everyone is pretentious except for you, you're the only one who- what's that? you haven't listened to 5000 albums in your life? sorry I thought you liked music and could have an opinion
you can't
go back to your coldplay and to complain about "avanteens"
>>
>>70927710
a bunch of mildly complicated arrangements doesn't make music innovative, also his "classical" music is really weak
>>
He's good but I like Ween better.
>>
WHAAA WHAAAA why can't all bands be OASIS?? music is so simple: guy love girl, writes catchy chorus
WHAAA WHAAA these uncommon time signatures and samples are onfusing me where's the COLDPLAY?? whaa whaaa

>>70927839
>a bunch of mildly complicated arrangements doesn't make music innovative
it does... sorry if you can't understand them... not everyone can understand all music
but try gorillaz, you'll love it
>>
zappa is not even innovative! I know tons of musicians who mde exact the same music, I just can't name them... they go to another school!
>>
fuck these faux patricians who like zappa... heh... I AM THE ONE WHO SEES THE LIGHT, and I say that RADIOHEAD is the true music... man, those cool drums....... I love music!
>>
>>70927817
>get's offended
>resorts to assuming the person's music taste, creating a strawman and attacking it
Boulez never said he was experimental just that he liked his muisc
Zappa and the residents tried to be as goofy as possible and idiots (I assume you are amongst them) like to think of them as experimental because they are accessible and it makes them feel better to say they like experimental music
>>
>>70927900
I like them because they make sounds I like to listen
But I guess a Coldplay fan like you only gets mad when confronted by abstract stuff.... lame... one day you will understand the variety of music..
also,
>you like this because it's weird!
>but it isn't weird!
TEACH ME WHAT'S WEIRD THEN ANON, I MUST UNDERSTAND HAHA
(it's a joke because I know more about music than you and I know what's weird music (you don't))
>>
>>70927583

pretty average desu
>>
>>70927950
I'm not saying that's why you like it. I was saying, if you read it properly, that is the reason people love to call them experimental
I personally like hot rats but I wouldn't call it experimental

Again with the assumptions of my taste. Can you not just grow up a little and present your argument without wild accusations? Is your argument that devoid of points you resort to strawmen?

>I know more about music than you
You don't know anything about me. You're just a pretentious child who just figured out how to mock in first person
>>
>>70927583
mediocre musician masking his lack of talent with quirkiness
>>
I love when people form opinions of him after listening to 1 or 2 songs of his.
>>
ITT niggers getting mad that people have different opinions and can't move on
>>
s y n c l a v i e r
>>
>>70927583
he got a cool discog, lots of great stuff. Definitely a fan, can see his influence on a lot of other musicians / releases. Beefheart is also great BTW

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f1E3wCX7G4

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiSmkB15W40

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpIFkZsaovU&list=PLLD8tmFAugloLybEDe0C_dakiyp5mBDal&index=15

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAF7VXOdHWo

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jppYnUhu7Ig&list=PL7rSAJXS35MVE0beXC9giycp80i5DtnBT&index=1

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRcG1slun9c
>>
Plays the same basic bitch shit in the same basic bitch scales/modes as the vast majority of the people at the time, yet somehow gets credited as being more "intellectual" because he was willing to have random whacky sounds or watered down takes on guys like Stockhausen and Schaffer.

The Beatles messed with a far larger variety of sounds, while also being far more harmonically varied. But of course, we can't claim that The Beatles are better since the sounds they used weren't lol so weeeiiiirrdd n randumb enough.

Zappa's easily the worst of the "experimental" musicians of that time period, though he did surround himself with musicians who had the technical skill to play their instruments well. Beefheart and Red Krayola are much better, while also being the late 60s/early 70s take on experimental that people should defer to if they want actually interesting takes on experimental rock.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.