[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just listened to this for the first time and OMFG. Why didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: homogenic-560x560.jpg (87KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
homogenic-560x560.jpg
87KB, 560x560px
I just listened to this for the first time and OMFG. Why didn't you tell me /mu/? Anything in the same vein other than FKA twigs?
>>
>>70926077
I just listened to this for the first time as well. 5 Years is easily the best song on the album tbqh senpai.
>>
Hey guy from other thread, this is an album that uses the accordion that doesn't suck.
>>
>>70926145
Jóga, All Neon Like, 5 Years and Alarm Call all bump tbqh desu familia
>>
>>70926077
You should listen to Claire Boucher
>>
>>70926553

is this a joke?
>>
>>70926553
They have nothing in common musically and you know it.

>Inb4 vague copypasta where only one of the points talks about the music itself.
>>
>>70926610
Not at all. Claire Boucher is like Bjork 2.0.
>>
>>70926611
>They have nothing in common musically
Synth based art pop with some strings and weird voices on top of that? Many songs with huge beats?
>>
Not to be like "everything is sexist" but like, everything is sexist. Pretty much every female musician is 1.2x as good as you have been otherwise led to believe.

Bjork
Kate Bush
Joni Mitchell
Tori Amos
Bat for Lashes
PJ Harvey
yeah, even Grimes

--they're all better than the journalism surrounding their work would otherwise lead you to believe. Even the ones who earn effusive praise deserve more of it. I've literally never been disappointed when listening to a well-reviewed female artist before. Generally speaking, they're all at least as good as their criticism. It's always a happy surprise.
>>
>>70926748
>Synth based art pop
I'll give you that part.

>with some strings
From what I understand grimes 'does everything herself'. She doesn't impliment orchestras like Bjork does in her music.

Only song I can think of where strings are prominent was the intro to A.A.

>Weird voices
...Kinda? Vocals are her weakest aspect musically. If she were an instrumental artist I would have liked visions a lot more.

>songs with huge beats
In comparison, Bjork's music is a lot more layed/rich (or 'huge') however you wanna word it, compared to grimes.

Not said as an insults, just saying Grimes is simpler.
>>
>>70926824
only thing I want to say to this is that Bjork writes her own string arrangements

I know I'm misinterpreting your point; I just want to make sure that folks are clear on that one.
>>
>>70926793
Good point. A female musician should have to work twice as hard than a male artist in order to impress this sexist (music) world. Add St. Vincent to that list.
>>
>>70926864
Yeah, she's polarizing, and she shouldn't be polarizing. The range for her criticism is like 50% "she's poseur schlock" and 50% "she's amazing."

Really if we're being honest she's somewhere in-between pretty good and great.
>>
>>70926824
>From what I understand grimes 'does everything herself'. She doesn't impliment orchestras like Bjork does in her music.
True. But strings are strings, regardless if it's a violin or a whole orchestra.

>Only song I can think of where strings are prominent was the intro to A.A.
The middle eight + end of Venus Fly and the end of Easily have strings too. Maybe many other songs of her have heavily edited strings.

>...Kinda? Vocals are her weakest aspect musically. If she were an instrumental artist I would have liked visions a lot more.
Her voice has a lot of personality and charm. You're just not used to her voice. Anyway, you can't say she doesn't have a weird voice, just like Bjork.

>In comparison, Bjork's music is a lot more layed/rich (or 'huge') however you wanna word it, compared to grimes.
Bjork's music sounds more stripped down to me. Pick any random song, from Army of Me to Heirloom, Oh It's So Quiet, Who Is It and Joga: there is a lot of space in these songs. On the other hand, Grimes' songs are really rich and detailed. Basically on every single second something interesting happens. Grimes also uses lots of layered backing vocals (her own vocals). And speaking of huge, Kill V. Maim, Scream and Venus Fly have even more energy than Army of Me.

>Not said as an insults, just saying Grimes is simpler.
She's not simpler, at least for me. Bjork is pretty straightforward (very Bjork-y), Grimes is more complex and unpredictable.
>>
14 replies and not a single recommendation.

bump
>>
>>70928406
There's nothing to recommend except her other albums. Albums like Homogenic are one of a kind.
>>
>>70926077
>p4k is retroactively reviewing arbitrarily picked albums

Took them long enough.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.