[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>not wanting to admit an artist's most popular album

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1483695403250.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1483695403250.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>not wanting to admit an artist's most popular album is most likely their best one
Why is /mu/ so full of hipsters?
>>
>>70915950
any examples, OP?
>>
>>70915950
What /mu/core would look like if this OP were right:
>On Avery Island - Neutral Milk Hotel
>Discipline - King Crimson
>The King of Limbs - Radiohead
>Isn't Anything - My Bloody Valentine
>Tweez - Slint
>Sunflower - Beach Boys
>The Life of Pablo - Kanye West
>Strawberry Jam - Animal Collective
>Government Plates - Death Grips
>Fear of Music - Talking Heads
>s/t - The Velvet Underground
>Operation Doomsday - MF Doom
>American Football (2016) - American Football
>F# A# Infinity - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
>Filth - Swans
>>
>>70916199
quite a few of those aren't wrong tho
>>
>>70916199
On Avery Island is their best, and even though you picked some shitty albums for a lot of the other artists, the one that is /mu/core isn't their best either
>>
>>70916239
Of course we all have our personal opinions on these albums. I'm just trying to demonstrate that generally, when we look at the less commercially successful albums, the community's opinion as a whole drops. You may think Avery Island is NMH's best, but a majority of people on this board disagree with you.
>>
>>70915950

Didn't even know what I thought about this, so heres a quick rundown of MUH UHPINIUHNZ of the artists on the first 2 pages of RYM (used as an objective judgment of "popularity", top album being considered most popular):

Popular not equal to best:

>Radiohead
>Pink Floyd
>David Bowie
>Pixies
>Bob Dylan
>The Smiths
>Talking Heads
>The Clash
>The Jimi Hendrix Experience
>Miles Davis
>The Cure
>Neil Young
>The Stooges
>The Who
>The Rolling Stones
>Love

Artists for which most popular = best:

>The Velvet Underground
>King Crimson
>My Bloody Valentine
>The Beatles
>Led Zeppelin
>The Beach Boys
>Black Sabbath
>Charles Mingus
>John Coltrane
>Neutral Milk Hotel
>Joy Division
>The Doors
>Nick Drake
>Godspeed You Black Emperor!
>Arcade Fire
>Television
>Nirvana
>Wu-Tang Clan
>Nas
>Sigur ros
>Metallica
>Slint
>DJ Shadow
>Leonard Cohen
>Tom Waits
>Portishead
>Can
>Madvillain
>Yes
>Kanye West
>The Zombies
>Genius/GZA
>Tribe Called Quest

Generally true to be honest. I bet if my taste changed that the switches would wash each other out and the total numbers would be the same.
>>
>>70916217
Which ones? I know there are plenty who prefer F# A#, but I'm not familiar enough with all of these artists to guess.
>>
>>70916455
Not him but a lot of people go for the s/t Velvets album and Fear of Music is known for being the hipster choice
>>
>>70915950
but popular can't be good
>>
>>70916430
Abbey Road is not the best Beatles album
>>
>>70915950
is this what you look like as you say that irl
>>
>>70916199
I'm like 99% sure that ItCotCK is more popular than Discipline, ItAOtS is more popular than On Avery Island, OK Computer/Kid A/Pablo Honey are more popular than The King of Limbs, MBDTF is more popular than TLOP, TVUN and Loaded are more popular than TVU, and literally any of Talking Heads's other albums is more popular than Fear of Music (except Naked, I guess, but more people have definitely heard '77 or RiL or Speaking in Tongues or Stop Making Sense than Fear of Music).
>>
>>70916430
>>The Who
Thank you for not putting them in the second list, I fucking hate it whenever people say WN is their best. It's either Sell Out or Quadrophenia ffs.
>>
>>70917867
Yes, that's the point I tried to make, that in reality, mucore does consist of very popular albums, which is at least partial evidence that OP is full of shit.
>>
>>70917958
Ah. I thought you were trying to make the point that "the popular albums AREN'T the best" instead of the point that "/mu/ DOES like the popular albums."
>>
>>70915950
Potentially their best? Sure. "Most likely" their best? You're a fucking moron.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.