[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, let's settle this. Which groundbreaking album is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: beatlevsbb.jpg (326KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
beatlevsbb.jpg
326KB, 504x504px
Alright, let's settle this. Which groundbreaking album is actually better? Sgt. Peppers or SMiLE?
>>
damn this highkey hard
>>
Psychedelic era Beach Boys>most recorded music
>>
The one that actually broke ground: Sgt. Pepper.
>>
smile as it would've been released is one of the greatest albums of all time. sgt. pepper's is just a good album.

pet sounds also beats any beatles album. only rubber soul can compete imo.
>>
>>70754549
Beach Boys>most recorded music
>>
>>70754672
>Beach Boys>all recorded music
>>
The problem with the Beach Boy's music is that often the lyrics don't mesh with Brian Wilson's arrangements. Pet Sounds would have been a masterpiece had it used wordless vocal harmonies, but instead the lyrics drag it down to a standard pop affair.
>>
Sgt. Peppers is more cohesive
>>
Days of Future Passed.
>>
SMiLE by a landslide
>>
Smile wasn't even completed until this century, how is it groundbreaking?
>>
>>70755085
Yoooo
>>
sgt.pepper is a cool fucking record. it sounds COMPLETELY bizarre. i don't care what you beetlehaterz say. john lennon was on acid EVERY DAY for years. his brain was mush. he made incomparable nonsense music. both he and brian wilson were big fat fuckin' babies of the highest order.
>>
both gimmicky shit.

>dude what if we were a circus band opening a show for you
>dude what if we did a tour-de-france around american music
>>
Sgt Pepper, and it's not even the best Beatles record. Revolver and Rubber Soul are better, and you could make a strong argument for Abbey Road, White and MMT too

The Beach Boys were great and still a cut above the rest at the time, just a tier below The Beatles for me
>>
SMiLE, CAbinessenve is godly
>>
Why do people compare the two bands again?
>>
Smile if it had been released as scheduled would've buried Sgt Pepper!
>>
>>70754530
>no Kokomo

WRONG.

But seriously where is God only knows? It's a lot better than Good Vibrations.
>>
Smile by a mile. I think I might even pick Smiley Smile over Pepper. I agree with Martin that MMT would be tougher competition though.
>>
>>70754530
>Sgt. Peppers or SMiLE
Well, which one actually existed?
>>
Pet Sounds>Sgt.Pepper>Smile
>>
DOING DOING DOING
>>
>>70758533
Reminder the at the songs that were finished and released were flops
>>
I think both are kind of overrated. I think "Wild Honey" is the best single Beach Boys album, unless it's "Love You." But, shit, I went out and bought a really nice LP reissue of "Sgt. Pepper's"--I mean, that's one LP-as-LP you ought to have to give your kids or something--and I find it completely unlistenable. Just terrible. "A Day in the Life" has got to be the most overrated fucking song of all time, unless it's_____(fill in the blank with whatever). The whole thing with that "Sgt. Pepper's" garbage is that it was supposed to be the culmination of the Beatles' "development." Which was actually "Strawberry Fields"/"Penny Lane," which pretty much live up to the hype. Once people got over all that, "Pepper's" was revealed as the clinkity-clackity mess it really is, all bad stereo separation and stupid guitar solos. Leonard Feather and Leonard Bernstein and your uncle who had discovered his secretary's ass and marijuana could groove to Paul and "She's Leaving Home," which isn't really all that terrible as a song I guess. "A Little Help from My Friends" is good, that's obviously one we all wish we could have written, it's charming.
As someone who thinks "columnated ruins domino" is actually kind of cool as a line, I regard "Smile" as a noble experiment in Americana. But the Beach Boys had become so attenuated by that time, so cut off from the source of their power, it's kind of sad. That said, I like them a million times better than I do the Beatles--their experiments seem so much more solid. And the Beatles, Geir, never did ANYTHING as good as "Johnny Carson" or "Honkin' Down the Highway" or "Solar System" from "Love You," which really takes the idea put forward by the author of that great Beatles book, "Paperback Writer," re the Beatles getting back together and doing shit like "Yoko's Gone Broke-O," which I can only dream they actually had done.
>>
>>70754684
This.
>>
>>70754625
this minus your last sentence
>>
Sgt Pepper's and Revolver are leagues better than Smile and Pet Sounds
Not only that, The Beatles work is way more influential and was much more popular during the day
>>
>>70754530
6>4 obviously The Beach Boys.
>>
>>70766483
But the Beach Boys had more useless members than The Beatles
>>
File: 1453477081040.jpg (46KB, 439x439px) Image search: [Google]
1453477081040.jpg
46KB, 439x439px
>>70766461
>>
>>70766796
The Beach Boys only needed Brian Wilson
The Beatles needed Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison
But The Beatles made way better music
>>
>>70762326
I respectfully disagree.
Smiley Smile is a great album for what it is.

Of course since Brian couldn't keep his shit together it was all way got which is why Sgt Pepper is a better album.
>>
>>70767331
>Smiley Smile is a great album for what it is.
It was a flop.
>>
>>70754684
>thinking the beach boys are this good
I remember when I was a beach boys pleb
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.