[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This... https://youtu.be/mnAH3JdlKKE?t=5m41 s ...sounds jus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: tagomalo.jpg (159KB, 600x600px)
tagomalo.jpg
159KB, 600x600px
This...
https://youtu.be/mnAH3JdlKKE?t=5m41s

...sounds just like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCmjrhv3Gts

Holy kek. So, Can make complete trash like that and be praised by you guys, while someone else can make the same """music""" and only be derided as a joke. I bet it's all just because it's cool to like Can, huh?

Explain yourselves, /mu/tants.
>>
Most people only pretend to like Can. Like shit, did you see how few people even mourned Jaki's death a few days back? Just one decent 300 post topic, and then the rest didn't even get above 20 posts. Nothing sticky worthy. Can's usually a band people only like for fashion.

Not to mention that the few people that do legitimately enjoy Can and krautrock here rarely ever think Tago Mago's all that great.

It's got shit production throughout.

Damo's not as cool crazy as he is on the other records, kinda tame usually with moments of just making goofy sounds.

The first half is full of weak ass jams (compared to jam bands, fusion bands, even other krautrock bands from that time period who were all far better musicians so they had more varied jams.)

The second half is a shit attempt at putting together musique concrete and free jazz.

It's also got overall the weakest drumming from Jaki when it comes to Can's work.
>>
Peking O builds up to the freak out versus Hello Kitty Suicide Club which just kinda throws you in. The accessibility of the first half of Peking O makes the last half of it much more tense and disorienting. IMO if an avant garde piece of music is able to give me an emotional reaction that isn't just "meh" then it does its job well.
>>
>>70693916

listen to the rest of their you pleb. the stockhausen-esque ending of tago mago is pretty weird, but even if you can't appreciate that, the rest of their stuff is kickass jamming prog rock.

you're shitting on them for one weird left turn they took on one of their albums
>>
>>70694342
>the rest of their discog*
>>
>>70693980
>Most people only pretend to like Can.
Yeah, blame the /mu/core essentials charts for that.

>Not to mention that the few people that do legitimately enjoy Can and krautrock here rarely ever think Tago Mago's all that great.
Exactly. It's experimental and all, but fans of krautrock aren't in it for the musique conrete stuff, but rather for how groovy and unique the sound is, at least from my experience. Their other stuff is much more fun to listen to. Not only that, but I legitimately think Amon Duul II and Embryo are better bands in almost every way.

>The second half is a shit attempt at putting together musique concrete and free jazz.
Nah, it's decent, and it works pretty well conceptually. But then again it's kind of unfair to call highly experimental music shitty, especially when it came out in 1971.
>>
>>70694414
>Nah, it's decent, and it works pretty well conceptually. But then again it's kind of unfair to call highly experimental music shitty, especially when it came out in 1971.
I can show examples of both the kind of musique concrete it did and an example of the erratic drumming style of free jazz which were both released before 1971, but sound far better than the junk on Mago's side two.
>>
File: 634gj1-i.jpg (73KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
634gj1-i.jpg
73KB, 800x800px
>>70693916
try this op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pf_jg532uU
>>
>>70694452
>musique concrete
>free jazz
>better
See, that's where it gets iffy. I already said I agreed with you, the album's overrated and not that mindblowing, but comparing experimental music of that level and saying which is "better" or "worse" is kind of besides the point. Don't go full italian criticman, anon.
>>
>>70693980
I agree with you.

My /mu/drone friend made fun of me for liking Future Days more than Tago Mago because "accessible music isn't interesting"
>>
>>70694530
grail
>>
File: Damodubs.jpg (38KB, 555x600px) Image search: [Google]
Damodubs.jpg
38KB, 555x600px
>>
>>70694559
But is it still experimental in the sense you speak of when it's a watered down take on something that existed years before it.
>>
>>70694664
Just because someone did something similar before it doesn't mean that everything that comes afterwards is invalidated. Of course it's still considered experimental. As for it being watered down, I don't know why you find the more extreme and limits pushing music to be inherently better. I imagine the band was going for something, and they got it the way they wanted. Like I said, music of this caliber is barely adequate for comparisons.
>>
>>70694656
same
>>
>>70694858
But there's pretty obvious comparisons to be made though. Your idea is that since experimental music is often going for certain unconventional ideas, that to compare makes no sense. But most of the stuff on side 2 of Tago Mago isn't by that definition all that experimental.

The tapes don't actually sound all that different from what Stockhausen and Xenakis had done for about 20 years before that, while the "muh fast" drumming sounds just like Manfred Schoof's stuff from that time (Jaki used to be in Schoof's band before Can, so kinda not surprising.)

I am saying the works fail as being experimental, neither from an innovative standpoint, nor from a refinement/mastery standpoint. It's pretty straightforward and boring stuff.
>>
>>70693980
nice copypasta
>>
>>70695028
Because something similar was done before it can never been seen as experimental? The most you can say is that it's not innovative.
>>
unironically too deep for you
>>
>>70695028
Well sure, if you consider concepts and techniques like sonorism and serialism to be the roots of experimental music, then fair enough. But I was talking about what was developed from that, which is actually listenable music that tries to push boundaries, and not straight up messing around with sound and simply attempting to innovate.
>>
>>70693916
One of them isn't a MIDI, and a constant freakout
>>
Hey guys, recommend me some other entry-level krautrock bands besides Can and Neu!
>>
>>70695398
just go read the sticky desu
>>
>>70695398
Amon Duul II, Kraftwerk, Ash Ra Tempel, Faust, Popol Vuh
>>
>>70695398
amon duul ii
>>
>>70695439
popol vuh and faust are not entry level

>>70695398
also agitation free is pretty accesible imo; i think they're in the archive.
>>
>>70693916
>>70693980
these posts make me want to never go on this board again
>>
>>70695547
Faust IV is pretty accessible at least
>>
>>70693916
op i'm afraid you didn't understand the music. you should work on you're iq.
>>
>>70695398
>entry level
Like other anons said, Amon Duul II is just as good if not better than can imo if you like psych rock
Guru Guru
Agitation Free and A.R. & Machines if you're into space rock
Brainticket
Cluster, Harmonia, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Ashra, Ash Ra Tempel and Manuel Gottsching's solo work if you like progressive electronic/ambient/space rock and vast, echoey guitar solos
Embryo if you like it jazzy, but they're not really entry level
>>
threads like this are why I keep music I like unknown to /mu/

I came on today because I wanted to show off the best album I've heard this side of the century, and I'm immediately so turned off that I'd rather condemn it to obscurity and hope it never gains popularity outside of japan
>>
OP is a fag
check these dubs nigger
>>
>>70695824
wtf
>>
>>70695824
>he comes on /mu/ because he enjoys music
>implying people on this board actually like music
haha
Leave while you still can
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.