[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't Yesterday the original example of "Paul's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Beatles-singles-yesterday.jpg (88KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Beatles-singles-yesterday.jpg
88KB, 300x300px
Isn't Yesterday the original example of "Paul's granny shit" if we're going by the standard metrics?

>written and sung by Paul McGranny
>features old-timey instruments
>tells a story
>has sappy romantic element
>uses standard melodies, nothing out of the norm
>short

Yet it somehow gets a pass?
>>
Paul's granny shit is good
>>
>>70681995
Isn't the granny shit stuff like Ob La Di Ob La Da. Yellow Submarine and Maxwell's Silver Hammer where it's just silly little ditties though?
>>
>>70682105
[2]
>>
paul granny shit > anything beach boys ever released
>>
the stuff referred to as granny shit is when the rest of the band wanted to progress and move on when Paul was stuck behind
Ironically Ram is better and more forward thinking than any Beatles album
>>
>>70682221
Pet Sounds > Anything anybody in the beatles ever wrote
>>
this must be bait
>>
>>70682231
>the rest of the band wanted to progress and move on

they didn't, though; john wanted to go back to plain rock and roll
>>
>>70682255
I don't even get this now, pet sounds isn't that great! It's alright, but hardly 'the best album ever' as people on /mu/ routinely say
>>
>>70681995
the point of 'granny shit' is that it was stylistically retro, not that it uses "old-timey instruments." not everything with strings is old-timey.

>>70682543
john did go for a blues style at the end of the beatles career, but it was pretty far from plain. he experimented with the style, don't act like I Want You (She's So Heavy) could have been released in the 50s.
>>
>>70682147
Yellow Submarine is sung by Ringo and actually fairly innovative, so it gets a pass. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and Maxwell's Silver Hammer are pure granny, though.
>>
>>70681995
>ballad
>muh innovation

>>70682147
+ When I'm 64
>>
>Everyone latching onto John's ridiculous "Paul's granny shit" quote completely overlooks the incredible, somehow seamless transition between 'Within You, Without You' and 'When I'm 64'

I wish John had taken the time to think before he spoke.
>>
>>70683712
>t. Paul
>>
>>70683712
Where did the "granny shit" quote come from anyway?

If it was from that stupid Lennon Remembers interview where he was wasted on heroin the whole time that's extra reason to ignore it
>>
>>70682147
Martha My Dear
>>
>>70683214
Maxwell is way better than Ob-La-Di though
>>
>>70685408
*sniff* quite pungent yes indeed
>>
>>70683214
>Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
the plain odd silliness is pure ironic avantgarde from Paul; it's more progressive than Revolution 9 IMHOTBH
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.