[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No matter how "patrician" or obscure your music tastes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: the-who-2.jpg (671KB, 3196x2400px) Image search: [Google]
the-who-2.jpg
671KB, 3196x2400px
No matter how "patrician" or obscure your music tastes are now, chances are, unless you are some kind of ethereal music-gathering robot you first started off listening to something relatively well known and popular.

ITT: We share the first band that made us fall in love with music. How do you feel about that band or artist today?

For me, technically I guess the first one would be Reel Big Fish, but in less than a year they would be replaced entirely by pic related. The Who is the first band that I actually kind of connected with on an emotional level rather than just thinking it was danceable or whatever the fuck I liked about RBF.
I still love them to this day and they are still my favorite. RBF, I'm not very into at all, and wish I could go back and stop myself from having at one time liking them.
>>
>>70628766
Coldplay - Clocks

dont even care
>>
>>70628766
SOAD was the first band that I really loved. I know all their lyrics by heart.

Today I don't listen to them that much, although I still think their s/t is amazing.
I went to their show in my city in 2015. It was fun
>>
i didn't really get into a specific band i just likes guitar hero and rock band
and gorillaz
>>
Damn. Pete got some hops.
>>
Pink Floyd

My Dad owned pretty much everything the band put out and that was all I listened to for ages

Then I found ITCOTCK and got into King Crimson
>>
File: oingoboingo-706761.jpg (59KB, 589x383px) Image search: [Google]
oingoboingo-706761.jpg
59KB, 589x383px
>>70628766
>We share the first band that made us fall in love with music. How do you feel about that band or artist today?

Still fantastic.
>>
>>70629274
Same thing happened to me.

>Reel Big Fish
>Fuck, I forgot why I liked that band
>Connect with The Who really hard
>Classic Rock
>Pink Floyd
>Prog Rock
>King Crimson
>Progressive Metal
>>
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold and starsailor - love is here

By the time I found Lemons I had been actively seeking music, and came to really like labelmate of Atmosphere, Grieves. Together/Apart is a good album (Winter And The Wolves is much better), but Lemons really showed me you can have an album with a thematic thread tying it all together. Love Is Here showed me the wonders of powerful, painful vocals. To this day Love Is Here is in my top 20, and while Lemons is not, it is still a fantastic album that opened up many doors. An unforgettable opener that lured me in to its confines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VraCMLxV4PA
>>
>>70628766
The Beatles were really my first favorite band. They helped me appreciate quirky but fun music and helped me being on my path towards psychedelic rock. I mainly like them today, but I'm less obsessed and will admit some of their stuff isn't good, especially their early songs and Paul's granny shit
>>
>>70628766
Alice In Chains. Still love them. Learned guitar because of Jerry Cantrell
>>
>>70629433
Paul's granny shit is top tier granny shit. I love it
>>
Tenacious D
>>
>>70629496
Some of it is really good, some of it is pretty bad tho. I also feel like his lyrics aren't as good, which is why I connect more with John.
>>
Nirvana. Today i don't like them very much but i still remember those moments blasting Nevermind and In Utero in my walkman everyday.
>>
partially the beatles

but i also remember playing beck - odelay end on end on end on end when i was like 6 or 7
>>
>>70628766
sigh..... My Chemical Romance. Wasn't emo though.
>>
>>70628766
When I was a kid I was into europop like Aqua and the Venga Boys. In high school I just listened to whatever was popular on the radio.
At some point I read an article about Kurt Cobain's favourite bands (my sister was a massive Nirvana fan, I wasn't) and he mentioned the Pixies. I sought out one of their CDs and my whole perspective on music suddenly changed. I started to get into a whole variety of new and interesting stuff after that.
I still sometimes listen to Aqua for nostalgic reason desu.
>>
Tame Impala
>>
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Ween
Beach Boys
i still love all of them and continue to dig deeper into their discographies today
>>
The Doors were the first band i ever really got into. The first album i ever became obsessed with was The Doors s/t and it was the first band where i listened to their entire discography. They might not be the amazing band i used to think they are but i still appreciate them a lot, even if i have heard their stuff too many times.

>>70629299
Also this. God i loved these dudes when i 18. I still do years later.
>>
>>70628766
Hendrix is who really got me into listening to music and playing guitar.
>>
Creed.
They were the biggest thing on earth when I was 10-11, when I only ever knew to listen to the radio.
Drew me to the guitar, been playing ever since, went from that to alternative rock/metal, the more mainstream stuff, to the less mainstream stuff, then over the years I went deeper to every corner of music.
Don't care for them now, but I still think the guitarist is good, I quite like Alter Bridge.
>>
Born Under Punches - Talking Heads

still one of my all time favorite songs, an absolute classic
>>
The Cure and Dave Brubeck Quartet really got me intrigued with music
>>
le beatles
>>
The Beatles

I only recently started listening to them again and like them more than I did originally, and have actually listened to the albums rather than songs here and there. I don't listen to them that much anymore though because there's a lot of stuff to listen to.

Frank Sinatra was someone I listened to around that time too and I don't listen to him at all anymore. I kind of dislike that whole aesthetic now while I liked it a lot 10 or so years ago.
>>
>>70628766
The same for me. When I first listened to Quadrophenia I realised that popular music could be so much more, and stand alongside classical and jazz as a legitimate art form. My tastes have completely changed/expanded since then but The Who are still my favourite band and Quad my favourite album.
>>
I idolized Bowie for my first year getting into music and then Joy Division was my entry into band music.

I saw Bowie as something you could only wish to be. Hearing about Joy Division getting Ian and making it after lesser free trade hall hooked me on the thought of music being a place for average guys to make it doing something amazing.
>>
>>70628766
My first band was Green Day, I like more bands now and I do know that other bands are better, although Green Day along with Nirvana and AiC were the reasons I started playing guita
>>
>>70628766
>Flux Pavilion
He's alright, but I don't really listen to dubstep anymore
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwIkLgXwlU4
Probably this, russian heavy metal, pretty much not really listening to heavy metal today.
Mostly (post)soviet post punk today.
>>
The Beatles got me into my parents' record collection, but Radiohead got me into /mu/core (and beyond).
>>
>>70628766
>The White Stripes
still love em
>>
>>70631747
Quadrophenia is OP's all-time favorite album too. It rides an emotional roller coaster for me that's really hard me to find an equal to.
>>
This Is It by the Strokes was pretty big for me.

Still like listening to it on occasion for old time sakes, and it's aged pretty nicely.
>>
Can Pete dunk?
>>
File: MCRBP.jpg (644KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
MCRBP.jpg
644KB, 1000x1000px
My chemical romance
>inb4 underage bait

You all know this is goat tho
>>
It was Nirvana for me. Collected all their albums right from Youtube, one track at a time, back in the day, being 12 y.o. or so.

My taste is veeeery distant from such styles now. They are of no interest to me.
>>
Incubus. I was listening to em again recently for the first time in years and yeah, I think there's more to em than their bro rock rep. Kinda makes me sad that they get lumped in with shit like fucking 311. S.C.I.E.N.C.E through to A Crow Left of the Murder are all good albums. Crow in particular is one of the most unique sounding albums for a mainstream alt rock band of that era.

They have loads of great deep cuts like Summer Romance, Echo, Just a Phase, Sick Sad Little World, Aqueous Transmission, The Warmth... yea, they're okay with me.
>>
Nu-metal got me good back then. The first band that I seriously tried listening to all their albums was Disturbed I believe. I don't really care about them now, but I still have the sweet memories.
>>
>>70634203
I still think Dead is a great tune.
>>
how has no one posted this yet?
all i did from ages 8-11 was watch naruto and digimon AMVs of this album
>>
File: IMG_0138.jpg (41KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0138.jpg
41KB, 900x900px
Started watching this as a closet gay, got super into the music, went full on gay, started reading John Green, one of his books mentions Neutral Milk Hotel, found Fantano, found /mu/, cooled off on the 'trying to be more gay and feminine than I actually am to fit in' thing, got into old Nick Cave and Swans and tMG and Radiohead and Kendrick and DG and Sufjan and Joanna Newsom
>>
>>70634872
Wow, I can't believe you being a fag is the least gay thing about this post
>>
>>70634872
kys
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.